PDA

View Full Version : Leandro Ginobili: 'Not seeing manu in the playoffs is a pain'

TwinTowers
04-08-2009, 12:34 PM
The following is a translation of Leandro's (Manu's brother) lastest article from foxsports.com Latin America: http://msn.foxsports.com/fsi/fse/story/baloncesto/nba?contentId=9426970

Not seeing manu in the playoffs is a pain

By Leandro Ginobili

I must confess that while commenting for the TV broadcast of the game where the Cleveland Cavs beat the Spurs comfortably on Sunday, a bad feeling took over me when I saw Manu seating in the bench in the last quarter.

I do not know why, but I could feel something was wrong. The camera settled on him repeatedly, as if seeking an explanation for his absence on the court. Manu's face was more than eloquent, but I figured it was because of the beating his team was receiving.

I decided to go by this theory, but something was still hanging around in my head, and primarily in the chest: something was not right and I was feeling it.

Before the game against the Cavs I saw him in a couple of games, and even though he told he was feeling fine, I saw him on the court not being his normal self. He even struggled when pulling up for threes.

I realized then that he had been 40 days off the court and his return would obviously show a lack of rhythm, some muscle stiffness and clumsiness in his movements. But the bad news would not take long to emerge.

The injury in his right leg reappeared, and this time to say "enough, there will be no playoffs for you this year."

I have not spoken to him yet, but I imagine how it must feel. It will be difficult to communicate with him until he digests the facts and implications of the injury, but we must understand that within the life of an athlete injuries are a constant danger, and this time it was his time to surrender to injury.

One is now to think about those detractors who sought notoriety with the talent of others, and criticized Manu for his possible absence from the Olympic Games; the same people who questioned his love for Argentina, and accused him of faking the injury. What will they say now that he risked millions of dollars to represent his country?

Let us leave this issue aside, because I am afraid my bad temper is going to take over and I’ll say inappropriate things in addition to the pain for not having the chance to enjoy my brother in the stage in which he takes his real dimension.

Fortunately, there is always change of revenge, and even if it sounds cliché it’s nothing but the truth. The 2009-2010 season will see him rested and hopefully without any sequel to this story that pretty soon will be remembered as just a bad memory.

This bad experience does not diminish the many good moments you gave to those who love this beautiful sport. I won’t try to hold you up because you never needed it, and this time it won’t be the exception.

urunobili
04-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks for sharing... Leandro is REALLY protective of the youngest of his brothers... and all what he says is money...

xtremesteven33
04-08-2009, 12:39 PM
His Bro sounds pissed

urunobili
04-08-2009, 12:43 PM
His Bro sounds pissed

dude Manu is devastated... and as i said... he is VERY protective with him specifically

duncan228
04-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks for posting. I don't know a lot about Manu off the court, but from what I have gathered it seems he's got a close family. I'm glad they're there to support him through this. If we're this upset about his season ending like this imagine how he feels.

Get well Manu. :toast

angel_luv
04-08-2009, 01:02 PM
That was an awesome article- informative, full of feeling and eloquently written.
Thanks for posting. :)

Mel_13
04-08-2009, 01:03 PM
One is now to think about those detractors who sought notoriety with the talent of others, and criticized Manu for his possible absence from the Olympic Games; the same people who questioned his love for Argentina, and accused him of faking the injury. What will they say now that he risked millions of dollars to represent his country?

Interesting view of another side to the story of Manu and the Olympics. While many Spurs fans hoped he would skip the games to improve his chances for a healthy season, many more in his home country were asking if would put love of money ahead of love of country. He made his choice and may lose many millions as result. While I'm sure he is devastated by inability to help the team, I still don't see any scenario where he would have given up a chance to represent/lead his country.

MoSpur
04-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Good find and thanks for sharing.

porscha
04-08-2009, 01:24 PM
poor guy....pressured by two country
that guy just wanna to play some basket ball that he loves
how complicated can it be??
leave him alone... geez....

porscha
04-08-2009, 01:24 PM
thanks for sharing.

Bruno
04-08-2009, 01:39 PM
:lol
This a worth a telenovela.

urunobili
04-08-2009, 01:47 PM
:lol
This a worth a telenovela.

what is so funny about it? :S

leo_d
04-08-2009, 01:55 PM
"...the same people who questioned his love for Argentina, and accused him of faking the injury. What will they say now that he risked millions of dollars to represent his country."

Some people in Argentina (mostly the ones that never watch basketball except when the NT is winning) said that Manu faked the injury because Argentina were -20 to the Dream team and there were no many chances to bounce back.

That is why his brother is kind of pissed.

Bruno
04-08-2009, 01:57 PM
what is so funny about it? :S

Well, it's nice to be passionate but it's quite unreal how Manu's brother doesn't put things in perspective.

urunobili
04-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Well, it's nice to be passionate but it's quite unreal how Manu's brother doesn't put things in perspective.

ahh... ok... I agree he should put himself on the Spurs side a little bit as well... this is a loss loss... there is NO chance Manu will play again for the NT after this though... so i guess there are no winners unless he helps San Antonio win another title...

Bruno
04-08-2009, 02:11 PM
ahh... ok... I agree he should put himself on the Spurs side a little bit as well... this is a loss loss... there is NO chance Manu will play again for the NT after this though... so i guess there are no winners unless he helps San Antonio win another title...

Well, it isn't a "spurs side" things. I just find that he damn exaggerates what happens.
Some fans in SA and Argentina say stupid things but a huge majority (in the 99% area) of them really love Manu.
It sucks that Manu is injured but it's not like they will cut his leg. It is just a season ending injury.

Bottom line is that Manu is one of the most loved player in SA and I also guess in Argentina. He has had tons of success in his career (Euroleague title, Olympic gold medal and 3 NBA titles). He has now a season ending injury and his brother is turning Manu into Eva Peron.

Fermixalot
04-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Its good that Manu has a supportive family. He seems devastated by the news, but its good to know that he has a strong support network.

I supported him playing in the Olympics, even though I was a bit apprehensive about it, this guy loves his country and his team so he HAD to play. I don't question a damn thing about Manu's heart or will to win and I hope that he comes back with a vengeance next year and shows all the haters Supermanu again.

Go Spurs!

urunobili
04-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Well, it isn't a "spurs side" things. I just find that he damn exaggerates what happens.
Some fans in SA and Argentina say stupid things but a huge majority (in the 99% area) of them really love Manu.
It sucks that Manu is injured but it's not like they will cut his leg. It is just a season ending injury.

Bottom line is that Manu is one of the most loved player in SA and I also guess in Argentina. He has had tons of success in his career (Euroleague title, Olympic gold medal and 3 NBA titles). He has now a season ending injury and his brother is turning Manu into Eva Peron.

good post... he maybe overreacting a little bit but remember that those comments about him giving up money or not to play with the NT came from soccer fans that then disappear unless the NT starts doing gr8 in a tournament...

it's the whole soccer culture that somehow has him as an adopted son due to his success (and Ole Sports Newspaper gets that done on an amazing fashion)... so he is also victim of so much public notoriety too that questions all decisions etc...

I agree 100% that he is most loved than hated everywhere... but he did get lots of pressure from the Argentine soccer media about last year's doubts about playing in the Olympics at all or not...

ST has been central meltdown central/party zone for Manu haters the last 24 hours.. that plus all the US media talking about it is as dramatic as his brother's comments though... no more no less...

DPG21920
04-08-2009, 02:38 PM
good post... he maybe overreacting a little bit but remember that those comments about him giving up money or not to play with the NT came from soccer fans that then disappear unless the NT starts doing gr8 in a tournament...

it's the whole soccer culture that somehow has him as an adopted son due to his success (and Ole Sports Newspaper gets that done on an amazing fashion)... so he is also victim of so much public notoriety too that questions all decisions etc...

I agree 100% that he is most loved than hated everywhere... but he did get lots of pressure from the Argentine soccer media about last year's doubts about playing in the Olympics at all or not...

ST has been central meltdown central/party zone for Manu haters the last 24 hours.. that plus all the US media talking about it is as dramatic as his brother's comments though... no more no less...

Yes, but this is the point Bruno is trying to make. Just like with Manu's brother and SpursTalk, you have to put things in perspective. It is terrible news, but not the worst of news. So naturally you will have some people upset (which is understandable). However, the overwhelming majority of people support Manu.

mytespurs
04-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Which brother is Leandro? Is he the one that looks like Manu's twin? He's the oldest brother? Is Manu the baby?

Thanks for the article; nice read. I feel for Manu-I can't imagine how devastated he must feel.

I hope he does come to the Spurs home game, remainder of the regular season as well as the playoffs.

Manu on Fire
04-08-2009, 03:38 PM
I will be back!

urunobili
04-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Which brother is Leandro? Is he the one that looks like Manu's twin? He's the oldest brother? Is Manu the baby?

Thanks for the article; nice read. I feel for Manu-I can't imagine how devastated he must feel.

I hope he does come to the Spurs home game, remainder of the regular season as well as the playoffs.

Leandro is the oldest of the three Ginobili's...

xtremesteven33
04-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Leandro is the oldest of the three Ginobili's...

haha thats just sounds funny

timvp
04-08-2009, 03:47 PM
I didn't realize there were Argies who thought Manu was faking his injury before the Olympics. That's pretty damn lame. After bringing home a gold medal you are going to question him manhood? Everything ducks has said combined isn't as lame as those Argentines who thought that Manu would actually fake an injury to skip the Olympics. That goes completely against everything that makes Manu the player he is.

ducks > some Argentines.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-08-2009, 03:57 PM

Well, he's his brother. I don't think it's about perspective. I don't know how many critics there were in Argentina whether he's referring to the media or whatever, but it's natural for a family member to take specific criticisms it personally. Maybe he's just emotional. Who's to say he doesn't have the perspective that Manu is loved by many many others, and it's just a present time emotional response today.
Manu's a public figure, and the criticism over the whole Olympics thing vs. his professional career he had received has been borderline unwarranted (that Buck Harvey one last summer--and I guess supposedly Argie nationalists who thought Manu was faking?? :rolleyes ), regardless if its 5 negative vs. 5 million positive support.
Also, I don't know if that article is mistranslated on some words, but I 've seen the word "revenge" used (:lol Manu had an article last season referring to "revenge" and it didnt' really make sense) and wonder if its really meant as "vindication" or whatever.

Anyway, I don't really think he's treating Manu like Eva Peron, as you say. I think it's just a family pride thing. As well as a reactionary, heated moment type thing.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-08-2009, 04:00 PM
haha thats just sounds funny

If only we had a spare Ginobili on the team.

mytespurs
04-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Ginobili's brothes played professional basketball too didn't they?

ElNono
04-08-2009, 05:20 PM
I didn't realize there were Argies who thought Manu was faking his injury before the Olympics. That's pretty damn lame. After bringing home a gold medal you are going to question him manhood? Everything ducks has said combined isn't as lame as those Argentines who thought that Manu would actually fake an injury to skip the Olympics. That goes completely against everything that makes Manu the player he is.

ducks > some Argentines.

I think you need to know more about the details. When Manu arrived in Argentina he held a press conference where he said he would not be in the Olympics if his ankle didn't improve. It was big news then. Around the same time there were news about the $20 million extension talks with the Spurs.
Some 'media' started to run a rumor that he was exaggerating the extent of the injury to cash in on the extension, just to sell a few more newspapers.

It's not much different than how certain media operates here if you took the time to look at the cover of certain magazines in the cashier line at Walmart...

MmP
04-08-2009, 06:08 PM

ducks > some Argentines.

Unbeliaveble huh?
Yep, but it's true.
It's really pissing having to read stupid remarks about some people here in Argentina who apparently have no clue about Manu. Sometimes you can't really explain nor understand the stupidity on those people. They bashed him when he doubt if he was going to be on the olimpic team because of the injury. And all the things he did to be on that team. Wearing that boot all the time, swimming and running. Being as patience as he was is really difficult, and people kept doubting on him. Even when he risked this year with the Spurs. Sometimes that is really frustrating and nonesense. Now they might realize and understand how fool is to doubt about a player who loves his country and wants to win in every tournament he's in. And you have to be really thankful towards him after all that sacrifice he took for the argentinian team.

MmP
04-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Ginobili's brothes played professional basketball too didn't they?
Yes, one of the is still playing in Argentina: Sebastian.
Leandro played but now he's retired.

porscha
04-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Unbeliaveble huh?
Yep, but it's true.
It's really pissing having to read stupid remarks about some people here in Argentina who apparently have no clue about Manu. Sometimes you can't really explain nor understand the stupidity on those people. They bashed him when he doubt if he was going to be on the olimpic team because of the injury. And all the things he did to be on that team. Wearing that boot all the time, swimming and running. Being as patience as he was is really difficult, and people kept doubting on him. Even when he risked this year with the Spurs. Sometimes that is really frustrating and nonesense. Now they might realize and understand how fool is to doubt about a player who loves his country and wants to win in every tournament he's in. And you have to be really thankful towards him after all that sacrifice he took for the argentinian team.

sad to hear that...

manu ...a guy born to love basket ball
I just hope he can play the b-ball he loved so much...happily

TwinTowers
04-08-2009, 06:54 PM
I think you need to know more about the details. When Manu arrived in Argentina he held a press conference where he said he would not be in the Olympics if his ankle didn't improve. It was big news then. Around the same time there were news about the $20 million extension talks with the Spurs.
Some 'media' started to run a rumor that he was exaggerating the extent of the injury to cash in on the extension, just to sell a few more newspapers.

It's not much different than how certain media operates here if you took the time to look at the cover of certain magazines in the cashier line at Walmart...

Yeah you are right on point... unfortunately, some fans make judgments based on what the media says, and are ready to trash players before knowing all the facts