PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Sign Marcus Williams, Waive Malik Hairston

duncan228
04-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Game chat: Spurs sign Williams, waive Hairston (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/spursworld/2009/04/game-chat-spurs-sign-williams.html)
By Joe Alexander

The Spurs play the Portland Trail Blazers today at 6 p.m. (note start time) at the AT&T Center. Join Jeff McDonald and Mike Monroe of the Express-News for a live game chat beginning at 5:30 p.m.

The Spurs signed guard Marcus Williams this afternoon. To make room on the roster, the waived Malik Hairston.

Williams was picked 33rd overall by the Spurs in the 2007 draft. He played one game with the Spurs during the 2007-08 season.

Williams played for the Austin Toros this season, averaging 23.0 points in 45 games.

Hairston played in 15 games for the Spurs this season. He averaged 3.3 points and 1.9 rebounds.

timvp
04-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Game chat: Spurs sign Williams, waive Hairston (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/spursworld/2009/04/game-chat-spurs-sign-williams.html)
By Joe Alexander

The Spurs play the Portland Trail Blazers today at 6 p.m. (note start time) at the AT&T Center. Join Jeff McDonald and Mike Monroe of the Express-News for a live game chat beginning at 5:30 p.m.

The Spurs signed guard Marcus Williams this afternoon. To make room on the roster, the waived Malik Hairston.

Williams was picked 33rd overall by the Spurs in the 2007 draft. He played one game with the Spurs during the 2007-08 season.

Williams played for the Austin Toros this season, averaging 23.0 points in 45 games.

Hairston played in 15 games for the Spurs this season. He averaged 3.3 points and 1.9 rebounds.

:pctoss :pctoss

lebomb
04-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Spurs Sign Marcus Williams

SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have signed guard a href="/playerfile/marcus_williams/index.html">Marcus Williams. Per team policy terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Williams was an All-League First Team Selection this season with the Austin Toros, the Spurs affiliate in the NBA Development League. In 45 games with the Toros, Williams averaged 23.0 points, 7.0 rebounds and 5.3 assists. He was named the D-League Performer of the Week for the week of 3/30 after averaging a triple-double with 27.5 points, 10.5 rebounds and 11.5 assists in three games.

Williams, who is in his second year, appeared in 11 NBA games last season (10 with the L.A. Clippers and one with San Antonio) where he averaged 0.9 points and 1.1 rebounds in 3.3 minutes. He also spent 36 games with the Toros where he averaged 19.2 points, 6.9 rebounds and 3.1 assists. Williams was drafted by San Antonio with the 33rd overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft.

The 22-year-old Williams was an early entry candidate for the 2007 NBA Draft. He played two years at the University of Arizona, earning First Team All-Pac-10 honors after averaging 16.6 points and 6.7 rebounds as a sophomore.

At the same time, the Spurs announced that they have waived guard/forward Malik Hairston.

timvp
04-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Williams better have improved drastically since the last time I saw him play or this is a horrible move. Last time I saw Williams, he had a hitch in his jumper, slower feet than Udoka and was basically a power forward in a shooting guard's body.

Hairston, on the other hand, was a three-point stroke away from being someone you could put into the rotation.

Borosai
04-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Not cool.

duncan228
04-08-2009, 03:54 PM
McDonald, earlier today.

If Williams is in, then who is out? (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/04/if-williams-is.html#more)
By Jeff McDonald

The Spurs are still working to finalize a deal this afternoon that could make Marcus Williams their latest call-up from the Austin Toros.

Williams, a 2007 second-round pick of the Spurs who appeared in one game with the team last season before being waived, has been tearing up the Developmental League. In 45 games this season, he is averaging 23 points, seven rebounds and 5.3 assists.
He averaged 25.1 points during the month of March.

A 6-foot-7 swingman out of Arizona, Williams became brighter on the Spurs' radar after Manu Ginobili was sidelined for the rest of the season with a stress fracture in his right leg. The Spurs cannot receive any sort of injury exemption for Ginobili, meaning if they sign Williams, they will have to waive a player to create roster space.

The most likely candidate for dismissal would seem to be Malik Hairston, Williams' teammate with the Toros. Hairston, a rookie swingman, is guaranteed only the remainder of his $314, 392 contract, making him that the most cost effective option, at least.

The Spurs front office has been high on Hairston, so whatever choice the team makes is sure to be a difficult one.

Manufan909
04-08-2009, 03:55 PM
WTF??? How could Pop not like Hairston, he was a beast defensively, raw but the tools were there. Hope he isn't picked up and gets and Pop promised a training camp invite. Anyone think that happened?

Lebowski Brickowski
04-08-2009, 03:56 PM
I don't get it at all

Borosai
04-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Do they actually plan on using Williams this year when Hill can't get off the bench? It doesn't make sense. And as others have noted, Hairston plays pretty good defense and he's athletic, two things the Spurs are lacking right now. Why Williams over Hairston?

Manufan909
Williams better have improved drastically since the last time I saw him play or this is a horrible move. Last time I saw Williams, he had a hitch in his jumper, slower feet than Udoka and was basically a power forward in a shooting guard's body.

Hairston, on the other hand, was a three-point stroke away from being someone you could put into the rotation.

How long ago was that? I hope awhile, cuz chump and others who have seen him recently say he's much improved. I still wish they didn't sign Marcus Williams so the Wolves couldn't get him, what if Hairston is picked up? It'd be like dropping a puppy to catch and old, 3-legged dog infected with rabies(maybe Hairston isn't that much better, but you get my point.:lol)

dougp
I don't like this move, waiving Hairston is retarded. Period.

MoSpur
04-08-2009, 03:58 PM
So can he play in the playoffs? If he can, I doubt he will, but just curious.

SenorSpur
04-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Definitely a head-scratcher.

Bruno
04-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Finley and Bowen were aging. Spurs have now solved the SF dilemma for the rest of the Duncan era with the signing of a future HOFer. :hat

Dell Demps was interviewed during the halftime of the Toros game and he was quite low on Hairston. He wasn't impressed by his ability to go to the rim because it wouldn't work with a paint defended by a legit NBA bigman. He said that he really needed to improve his shoot. I guess the reason why Spurs don't keep him is because they don't believe he can improve it.

mexicanjunior
Bad move, Hairston seemed to have alot of potential and could have been Bowen's replacement had he worked on his jumper. I've only seen D-League highlights of Williams but his game did not impress me at all.

peacemaker885
Wait a minute! I thought only teams with as much as 4 injured players can have an exception? So is this under that rule? Are we being given a free pass?

spurs must have REALLY liked williams to take action this late in the season. i would think they would have wanted to waited until summer camp before choosing between hariston and williams. they must be really high on him to make this change. if i recall correctly, the spurs signed hariston to keep another team from doing it. now they are singing williams and waiving hariston to keep williams from being picked up. spurs must really like him.

SA210
04-08-2009, 04:00 PM

completely deck
04-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Per team policy terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Why does every team do this? What's the point?

SanAntonioSpurs23
Well Williams is my boy from Arizona but I don't like this move at all unless he has improved a lot. I just hope that Hairston isn't picked up by someone else I like him.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
:wtf :wtf

Why waive Hairston!

Williamsss???

timvp
04-08-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm assuming other teams were zeroing in on signing Williams so the Spurs signed him to protect his rights. I'm sure they'll just send him back to the D-League. I'd be surprised if he gets even a minute of playing time with the Spurs this season.

By doing this, the Spurs will have Williams' rights going forward. Previously, Williams could do whatever he wanted. But now the Spurs don't have any rights on Hairston.

On defensive potential and athleticism alone, I like Hairston much more than Williams. Williams is borderline too slow for the NBA. Hairston, on the other hand, has just gotten more and more athletic as he's shed his baby fat.

I guess we have to hope Hairston doesn't garner any outside interest and the Spurs will be able to let both play on the summer league team and in training camp next year.

MannyIsGod
04-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Marcus Williams is Finley Part II

timvp
04-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Dell Demps was interviewed during the halftime of the Toros game and he was quite low on Hairston. He wasn't impressed by his ability to go to the rim because it wouldn't work with a paint defended by a legit NBA bigman. He said that he really needed to improve his shoot. I guess the reason why Spurs don't keep him is because they don't believe he can improve it.So they pick a guy who modeled his shooting form after Bill Cartwright :sleep

Bruno
04-08-2009, 04:05 PM
The most likely candidate for dismissal would seem to be Malik Hairston, Williams' teammate with the Toros. Hairston, a rookie swingman, is guaranteed only the remainder of his $314, 392 contract, making him that the most cost effective option, at least.

Waiving a player like Udoka or Vaughn wouldn't have been more costly for Spurs.
Spurs weren't high enough on Hairston to keep him over Vaughn.

superbigtime
Huh? Waive Hairston? Hmm

superbigtime

Vaughn sucks.

MannyIsGod
04-08-2009, 04:08 PM

Thats obvious, but that doesn't mean the Spurs are right.

Bruno
04-08-2009, 04:09 PM
So they pick a guy who modeled his shooting form after Bill Cartwright :sleep

Well, Demps said the thing they like the most about Marcus was his passing.

Bruno
04-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Thats obvious, but that doesn't mean the Spurs are right.

Personally, I would have waived Vaughn and kept Hairston.

holcs50
04-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Well seems like everyone is down on this. IDK enough about the play of hairston and williams. When Ive seen hairston on the court he's alright, always looks slow...watched both in college. I just hope is Marcus gets some PT he represents UA well. You never know maybe he gets some time and really steps up. Either way, it isn't a game changing decision or anything-spurs felt williams could maybe help them more right now (or just to secure) so they did it. I trust it.

kobyz
04-08-2009, 04:11 PM
does he eligible to play in the playoffs?

timvp
04-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Well, Demps said the thing they like the most about Marcus was his passing.So the Spurs are going to use him at point-power forward. Fantastic. Somewhere Anthony Mason just rolled over in his grave.

04-08-2009, 04:12 PM
On defensive potential and athleticism alone, I like Hairston much more than Williams. Williams is borderline too slow for the NBA. Hairston, on the other hand, has just gotten more and more athletic as he's shed his baby fat.

williams has the potential to play good defense. he has the athleticism and quickness needed so if coached correctly, he can really develop into an above average defender. i believe he was usually assigned against the best opposing perimeter player in college.

timvp
04-08-2009, 04:14 PM
williams has the potential to play good defense. he has the athleticism and quickness needed so if coached correctly, he can really develop into an above average defender. i believe he was usually assigned against the best opposing perimeter player in college.I disagree with each sentence. His athleticism is average at best. His quickness is about on Udoka's level. And in college, he mostly defended bigs.

MannyIsGod
04-08-2009, 04:14 PM

Exactly, but personally I would also not be playing Vaughn and Pop has decided he's in the rotation. It makes no sense how highly the Spurs regard Vaughn at this moment.

timvp
04-08-2009, 04:15 PM
What would be interesting is whether or not Mahinmi would have survived the cut if it weren't for the fact his contract is guaranteed for next season.

P.S.

Yeah, Williams would technically be eligible for the playoffs.

jcrod
04-08-2009, 04:16 PM
SOB :bang. Freaking JV.....why?

Brazil
04-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Good news for Ian !

SenorSpur
04-08-2009, 04:20 PM

:tu

MoSpur
04-08-2009, 04:21 PM
They kept Vaughn because they don't trust Hill nor Mason as the backup PG if they really need someone to spare Parker. Vaughn does a decent job, but I agree, I would have kept Hairston over Vaughn. I loved Hairston's fearlessness and how he would go up to block shots.

afj37
04-08-2009, 04:24 PM
I don't know where the view that malik is the better defender or has more of a defensive upside came from. Marcus was always assigned the other teams best player during his time with the toros. Guarding Will Conroy and playing him very effectively. Defensive footspeed is not his problem. He is not an overly athletic player but is a very good decision maker out of Pick and roll. And much more versatile offensively than Malik.

04-08-2009, 04:24 PM
williams was projected to be a top 20 pick back then but fell because of his poor late season performances. i don't watch d league games but i do remember scouts heralding his versatility and length before the draft. i wouldn't doubt his potential and ability to play, just his work ethic and ability to be coached.

SA210
04-08-2009, 04:25 PM
They get paid to make stupid decisions. Are they hiring?

Marcus Bryant
04-08-2009, 04:25 PM

Of course.

SenorSpur
04-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Exactly, but personally I would also not be playing Vaughn and Pop has decided he's in the rotation. It makes no sense how highly the Spurs regard Vaughn at this moment.

True. But it also makes no sense how highly the Spurs (Pop) regard Finley, at any moment. :bang

duncan228
04-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Spurs add Williams, waive Hairston (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/04/williams-in-hai.html#more)
By Jeff McDonald

Marcus Williams is a Spur for a second time.

In a move perhaps geared more toward the future than toward the present, the Spurs announced they have signed Williams for the rest of the season, and have waived Malik Hairston.

Williams, a 6-foot-7 swingman in his second professional season, was an All-Developmental League selection for the Austin Toros, averaging 23 points, seven rebounds and 5.3 assists. He was the league's performer of the week for the week ending March 30, after averaging a triple double.

Williams was a 2007 second-round pick of the Spurs, but did not make the team out of training camp that year. He signed with the team at midseason, and appeared in one game before being waived again. He finished the season playing 10 games with the Clippers last season.

Hairston followed a strikingly similar path to the Spurs. He was a second-round pick in 2008, acquired in a draft-day swap with Phoenix, but did not make the Spurs out of camp. The Spurs signed him later in the season, and Hairston appeared in 15 games before being re-assigned to Austin.

With the maximum of 15 players under contract, the Spurs had to waive Hairston to clear room for Williams.

This swap of Toros is likely to have little effect on the Spurs this season. Gregg Popovich puts a premium on experience. Even with Manu Ginobili out for the year, it is difficult to envision a newly arrived young player like Williams making much of an impact in the postseason.

SenorSpur
04-08-2009, 04:39 PM

If Pop doesn't see a future here for Hairston, then he lied to us. Because the day he drafted the three (Hill, Gist, Hairston), he indicated that he expected all to be significant parts of the Spurs future. I certainly hope no one picks up Hairston between now and July 1st.

Marcus Bryant
04-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Naturally someone will pick up Hairston and he will blow up while Williams ends up in the Guatemalan league and Jacque Vaughn is selling cars within the year.

SenorSpur
04-08-2009, 04:45 PM
This is confusing because didn't they sign Malik to the last roster spot for exactly the same reason they just signed Williams - to protect his rights? If they want both players for next year, and I hope they do, simply trim off one of the veteran bench players, who isn't expected to be here next year and one who is in the final guaranteed year of their contract.

After all, what's the point in mortgaging part of your future just to keep around a veteran, that is likely not to garner any playoff burn? That's lunacy. Oh I forgot.

Marcus Bryant
04-08-2009, 04:47 PM
http://reske.us/scripts/WonderfulLife/images/wl_100185.jpg

Oh, confound it, RC, are you afraid of success?

Manufan909
04-08-2009, 04:49 PM

It's quite confusing, if Hairston isn't available for training camp I will go nuts. The more I think about this move, the more I'm pissed. Pop better have something up his sleeve.

SA210
04-08-2009, 04:52 PM
They get paid to make stupid decisions. Are they hiring?

04-08-2009, 04:53 PM
i think popovich had it out for hairston because he can dunk. i'm beginning to see a trend.

- james gist threw some thunderous dunks in summer league. pop said "i will have none of that on my team" and shipped him to italy.

- hill dunked a few times off fast breaks. pop said :nope now he is replaced by mason and vaughn, two players that probably can't even touch the rim.

- pops was a repeat offender of dunking so of course the spurs waived him.

- and now hairston, who completed some impressive dunks during the season is waived.

Kori Ellis
04-08-2009, 04:57 PM
There could be a number of reasons why they felt it was the right thing to cut Hairston and keep Williams. Malik could have been lazy at practice, not improving his skillset, etc. Or it could be that Marcus was just a harder worker, improving more quickly, showing more potential, and so on. It's hard to jump to a conclusion whether this was a good or bad move til we see how these guys pan out. None of us saw them day in and day out in practice and in games.

xtremesteven33
04-08-2009, 05:00 PM
i think popovich had it out for hairston because he can dunk. i'm beginning to see a trend.

- james gist threw some thunderous dunks in summer league. pop said "i will have none of that on my team" and shipped him to italy.

- hill dunked a few times off fast breaks. pop said :nope now he is replaced by mason and vaughn, two players that probably can't even touch the rim.

- and now hairston, who completed some impressive dunks during the season is waived.

Pop likes the old unathletic guys....its how he rolls

tav1
04-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Well, if Hairston plays for the Toros tonight, then I'll assume he'll back with the Spurs in about 60 days. I'm not at all convinced that the Spurs are dismissing Hairston for good. I want to wait before passing that judgement.

The question is, will Malik Hairston receive a contract over the next week?

SenorSpur
04-08-2009, 05:02 PM

David Robinson was the only Spur who was great enough that he could get away with being athletic and being a dunking machine, and not draw the ire of the coach.

tav1
04-08-2009, 05:03 PM
And for the record, I agree that the axe should have been laid at Vaughn's feet.

SenorSpur
04-08-2009, 05:06 PM

I know we're all being facetious, but there may be something to that. After all, the Spurs just released a young, athletic guy (Hairston), in favor of a young, unathletic guy (Williams).

xtremesteven33
04-08-2009, 05:12 PM
And for the record, I agree that the axe should have been laid at Vaughn's feet.

oUCH.

Manufan909
04-08-2009, 05:13 PM
There could be a number of reasons why they felt it was the right thing to cut Hairston and keep Williams. Malik could have been lazy at practice, not improving his skillset, etc. Or it could be that Marcus was just a harder worker, improving more quickly, showing more potential, and so on. It's hard to jump to a conclusion whether this was a good or bad move til we see how these guys pan out. None of us saw them day in and day out in practice and in games.

Kori Elliswith logic and reasonableness FTW!!!!!!!!!:downspin:

SenorSpur
04-08-2009, 05:14 PM

My anger is now tempered. :toast

AussieFanKurt
04-08-2009, 05:18 PM
i loved malik arghhh
this bloke marcus better be worth it

Manufan909
04-08-2009, 05:20 PM
So what position should we expect MW to mostly play? I'm doubting PG, since there is TP, Mason, and Hill next season. SG/SF for next season is unknown, but with Gist and Hairston(hopefully), where will MW fit? I hope Pop made the right decision here, in risking losing Hairston.

AussieFanKurt
04-08-2009, 05:20 PM

haha thats a funny yet alarmingly true point

tav1
04-08-2009, 05:21 PM
So what position should we expect MW to mostly play? I'm doubting PG, since there is TP, Mason, and Hill next season. SG/SF for next season is unknown, but with Gist and Hairston(hopefully), where will MW fit? I hope Pop made the right decision here, in risking losing Hairston.

pop isn't really using hill at point; he plays him at shooting guard

Dingle Barry
04-08-2009, 05:21 PM
:pimpslap

what in the motherfucking hell is going on?

hairston was the only player we had outside of manu that had the ability to become a slasher.

what unique skill set does MW bring us? a solid passer from the sf position?
fucking essential need filled right there.

Mel_13
04-08-2009, 05:24 PM

Exactly....

These threads are always fun to read. While I'm sure there are only a tiny number of posters who are delusional enough to believe that they could play in the NBA, it seems there are many who believe they could run an NBA team. Some seem to believe that the Spurs are run by trained chimps. While some personnel decisions leave me scratching my head, I'll defer to management on choosing the 15th man on 15 man roster.

Chomag
04-08-2009, 05:25 PM
To this just seems like more evidence that Pop has lost his grip on reality. I don't know what happened to pop during all star break but he seems to be a complete changed man since.

So we waive a rookie player with a ton of potintual for a player that has been struggling to stink on any NBA team?

I guess from now on Pop's love for vets over rookies will only get worse each year.

It will be painful to watch Hairston go to another team and blossom while we just got stuck with a player that may never see the day-light on the court for our team.

Has Pop really given up on his defense philosophy so much where he will just throw away a potintual defensive stopper (Hairston) for a below average offensive(Williams) player from the D-league? If my memory serves me correctly he was very unimpressive to the point of just plain stank on his last term with us. While Hairston has shown alot of good things in the limited time that was given to him. I think we all can agree that Hairston had proved that he is an NBA capable player.

Am I the only one here that is tempted to bash my head against a wall here? lol

Mel_13
04-08-2009, 05:27 PM

At a preseason game this year, I asked the guy next to me if he knew why some of the players were wearing headbands. When he said he didn't, I told it was so Pop would know which players to cut. Doesn't bode well for Gooden.

Chomag
04-08-2009, 05:30 PM
:pimpslap

what in the motherfucking hell is going on?

hairston was the only player we had outside of manu that had the ability to become a slasher.

what unique skill set does MW bring us? a solid passer from the sf position?
fucking essential need filled right there.

Maybe you just hit it right on the head there. Hairston is a very authletic slasher, and we know Pop just hates that. I can sometimes sence some grimmising on pops face when TP drives. lol

Now if Hairston played more like Finely (no defence, jump shooter) he would be a lock for a 30+ minute starter about now.

Bruno
04-08-2009, 05:30 PM
It's quite confusing, if Hairston isn't available for training camp I will go nuts. The more I think about this move, the more I'm pissed. Pop better have something up his sleeve.

Before next year training camp, there will be a draft and the free agency. Spurs options, as young SG/SF for next year, aren't just Hairston and Williams.

tav1
04-08-2009, 05:42 PM
With no offense to those of you who are deeply upset that Hairston is gone (temporarily?), it's not like the Spurs just traded Michael Jordan for James White. I'm a fan of Hairston, but Marcus Williams is about the same caliber of player, albeit with different skills.

Manufan909
04-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Before next year training camp, there will be a draft and the free agency. Spurs options, as young SG/SF for next year, aren't just Hairston and Williams.

True, but they're the two the Spurs have plans for, and one with decent knowledge of the Spurs system. I think they'll make it, and the draft picks will be on the Toros.

angelbelow
04-08-2009, 05:47 PM
damn.. good luck to hairston. i was really high on him. maybe his work ethic just wasnt there..

timtonymanu
04-08-2009, 05:53 PM
get ready to see Malik become the starting sg in Houston.

tp2021
04-08-2009, 06:22 PM
My mindset right now is as follows: I don't think Pop is in full control of the situation, and because of this, doesn't really know all of what he is doing. So, until he proves to me that he does in fact know what he's doing, I am just gonna go down with this ship, ladies and gentlemen.

KenGee21
04-08-2009, 06:33 PM

That was my reaction as well, why waive Malik for a guy who isn't going to sniff the court anyway. Makes absolutely no sense. Some of the Spurs FO moves this year have been puzzling to me.

Bruno
04-08-2009, 06:36 PM
IMO, the reason why Marcus has struggle to make it is that he doesn't fit a niche. So even if Marcus is more talented than some NBA players, it is harder to plug him into a team. If Pop figures hos to play him, I can definitely see him helping Spurs. Think at a Boris Diaw role (when Boris wasn't fat).

beachwood
04-08-2009, 06:42 PM
http://reske.us/scripts/WonderfulLife/images/wl_100185.jpg

Oh, confound it, RC, are you afraid of success?

This just made my day. Brilliant.

jjktkk
04-08-2009, 06:54 PM
IMO, Pop wanted to see 1st hand the improvement Williams has made this season. I highly doubt the Spurs FO wanted to waive Hairston, but did so for finaincial reasons and Pop refusing to wiave his illegitmate son, Jacque Vaughn. I think Hairston and Williams both have similar athletic ability, but possess different skill sets. Pop already knows what he has in Hairston, now he wants to see what Williams can bring to the table. I also think people on ST need to remember were talking about a end of a bench player in Williams.

Obstructed_View
04-08-2009, 06:59 PM
With no offense to those of you who are deeply upset that Hairston is gone (temporarily?), it's not like the Spurs just traded Michael Jordan for James White. I'm a fan of Hairston, but Marcus Williams is about the same caliber of player, albeit with different skills.

Hairston is a rookie with upside. Williams has been in the Spurs system at least twice, has been in the development league for two seasons and has basically hit his peak. Pop took offense over defense. Shouldn't surprise anyone. He may be banking on the rest of the NBA to make the same foolish decisions and leave Hairston available for camp. I saw nothing in Williams when he was here that makes me think he can play NBA caliber defense, run the point or develop any kind of a consistent jumper. That makes it a head-scratcher for me. Hope I'm wrong.

For the "what's the big deal" people, I thought Hairston could have been a role player for the Spurs by this point, despite his weak jumper. Having given him burn over the course of the season might have come in handy now that Manu's gone and the Spurs are straining to find someone to defend the better scorers in the league.

urunobili
04-08-2009, 07:11 PM
personally, i would have waived vaughn and kept hairston.

+1

Russ
04-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Hairston = Spur-prototype player.

Williams = the Anti-Spur.

Oh well, maybe he'll be the new Jack (and fit right in this city).

(And, BTW, what is it that Ian M. knows about Pop? :wow)

HarlemHeat37
04-08-2009, 07:36 PM
what a fucking blow..

Hairston's 3 consecutive successful possessions guarding Lebron James is bigger than anything Williams will do during his entire career..

Pop is obviously looking for the next Michael Finley, instead of looking for the next Bruce Bowen..

ducks
04-08-2009, 07:52 PM
hariston sucked
he could not shot

Yuixafun
04-08-2009, 07:52 PM
seriously.. much ado about nada.

i don't see how some of you are so worked up over.. this.

blowhards.

Manufan909
04-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Wow, MW looks like a short, balemic Kevin Durant. What Pop sees in this guy that puts him over Hairston, I have no clue. He is 100% FG this season, I'll give him that.

urunobili
04-08-2009, 08:32 PM
he looked horrible out there

Manufan909
04-08-2009, 08:34 PM
I wanted so bad for Hairston to be activated, he can challenge guys like Melo and Lebron. MW gets his ankles broken by Roy.

GabeIsGone
04-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Wow, MW looks like a short, balemic Kevin Durant. What Pop sees in this guy that puts him over Hairston, I have no clue. He is 100% FG this season, I'll give him that.
No shit. no way he can guard anything above a 2, guy weighs like 100 pounds. You think some1 woulda told him to bulk up a lil.

HarlemHeat37
04-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Hairston did a good job guarding Roy on the few possessions he got a chance to earlier in the season..he also did a great job guarding Lebron for 3 possessions, even blocking one of his shots..

Hairston has the swagger of an NBA player..he's already proven that his game is fearless, and he likes to get into the rough areas of a basketball game..

Chomag
04-08-2009, 08:39 PM
No shit. no way he can guard anything above a 2, guy weighs like 100 pounds. You think some1 woulda told him to bulk up a lil.

More evidence that Pop has given up on his defense philosophy

SenorSpur
04-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Hairston is a rookie with upside. Williams has been in the Spurs system at least twice, has been in the development league for two seasons and has basically hit his peak. Pop took offense over defense. Shouldn't surprise anyone. He may be banking on the rest of the NBA to make the same foolish decisions and leave Hairston available for camp. I saw nothing in Williams when he was here that makes me think he can play NBA caliber defense, run the point or develop any kind of a consistent jumper. That makes it a head-scratcher for me. Hope I'm wrong.

For the "what's the big deal" people, I thought Hairston could have been a role player for the Spurs by this point, despite his weak jumper. Having given him burn over the course of the season might have come in handy now that Manu's gone and the Spurs are straining to find someone to defend the better scorers in the league.

This is EXACTLY where Pop is made his error in judgment. Pop's stubborn resistance in playing young players on the fly is mind-boggling. Again, no one player, or collection of players could ever replace Ginobili. However, Pop could've and should've invested some minutes in a decent young player, like Hairston, during the season. At least, he would've been a bit further along. By now, he could be providing at least some minimal production in any area where they are now getting very little. Unfortunately, Hill, who was farther along than any young player, is getting the same freeze-out treatment.

It's fine to have an eye on the here and now. Yet a good GM keeps one eye on the future. If Pop and RC saw enough in Williams that it warranted them protecting his rights, waiving Hairston was the wrong thing to do. He should've waived Vaughn, put him in a suit and given him an immediate coaching position. That would've freed up a roster spot so that he could've signed Williams and retained Hairston, in the process. Thereby allowing him to protect the rights of both, get a look at both during the final days of the season, and thus preparing them for the summer.

Again, as old of team as the Spurs have, they are in no position to jettison promising young talent before it's proven whether or not they can really play.

ChumpDumper
04-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Seriously guys.

HarlemHeat37
04-08-2009, 09:37 PM
well it's kind of unlikely that Hairston is picked up by another team AND signed at this point of the season..so it's possible that they just wanted to keep Williams after his triple-double out of fear that another team would pick him up, and then throw them both in the off-season..

I really don't know, I might just be reaching..

The Truth #6
04-08-2009, 09:39 PM
what a fucking blow..

Hairston's 3 consecutive successful possessions guarding Lebron James is bigger than anything Williams will do during his entire career..

Pop is obviously looking for the next Michael Finley, instead of looking for the next Bruce Bowen..

Exactly. If the Spur's blueprint for a successful wing player is Michael Finley (already a huge head scratcher) then we're not going to ever develop anyone.

This shouldn't be about who is better - Malik or Marcus. We need to be preparing for the future by stockpiling young prospects.

This season is fucked. What's the point of hanging on to dead weight like Vaughn, for what, like 10 more games? We're giving up on Malik's entire future so JV can finish our downward spiraling season. That makes a lot of sense.

We should have been trying to find ways to bring as many of Pops, Malik, and Marcus to training camp next year so we can build the team back up.

Instead, the FO falls in love with the D-league flavor of the week. We never even try to develop anyone more than a few weeks and then get rid of them and bring in the next. This is the way to run a franchise?

Are the Spurs just cheap or completely indifferent to building up for the future? Pop seems like he's going through some George Bush level of denial, which is disheartening.

JMarkJohns
04-08-2009, 09:41 PM
As an Arizona guy, I hope he makes me look good this time around, because his play last time made me want to bury my head in the sand.

I still maintain that Williams is one of the most skilled players to ever pass through the University of Arizona. His drive is amazing and all he wants to do is win. He had issues, as most underclassmen do, but his upside was very, very high. Hopefully he's had his head screwed on right and his hitch in his shot removed.

SenorSpur
04-08-2009, 09:53 PM
If the Spur's blueprint for a successful wing player is Michael Finley (already a huge head scratcher) then we're not going to ever develop anyone..
Playing Finley 30+ minutes and giving him the defensive assignment that used to belong to Bowen is nothing but a blueprint for disaster. Pop has shown a penchant for overvaluing some veterans when they were obviously past their prime (NVE, Damon, Mercer), but his ongoing man-crush on Finley is taking it to an even new level.

This shouldn't be about who is better - Malik or Marcus. We need to be preparing for the future by stockpiling young prospects.
Couldn't agree more.

This season is fucked. What's the point of hanging on to dead weight like Vaughn, for what, like 10 more games? .
Try 4 more games.

We're giving up on Malik's entire future so JV can finish our downward spiraling season. That makes a lot of sense.

Quite puzzling.

stxspurs
04-08-2009, 10:11 PM
which is worse...thinking nana pops should stay or hairston???
both which probably wouldnt really make a big difference in the playoffs....
what i still hate is mason pt guard shit!!!!

ace3g
04-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Hairston didn't play for the Toros tonight? Hopefully he didn't get picked up by another team now that he is free game

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=2020800365

TDMVPDPOY
04-08-2009, 10:39 PM
if williams can play like matt barnes, thats all we ask for.....

apparently spurs have high hopes on this fella instead of looking what sanikidz whose doing the same shit in the shit leagues....

ChumpDumper
04-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Hairston didn't play for the Toros tonight? Hopefully he didn't get picked up by another team now that he is free game

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=2020800365He was on the bench in street clothes. I imagine if no NBA team picks him off waivers, he'll be back with the Toros.

ace3g
04-08-2009, 10:48 PM
ok I just assumed the worse when I didn't see his name on the boxscore

benefactor
04-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Somewhere Austin Toros is drinking himself stupid in celebration....

Vaughn and Oberto will both be gone at the end of this year, so why waive Hairston? I am guessing they think that no one will pick him up this close to the end of the season and he will be right back with us this summer.

04-08-2009, 11:03 PM
i kind of expected the spurs to waive oberto. a man at his age and heart condition should not be playing anymore professional basketball. he was the most logical person to let go because he probably is done.

loveforthegame
04-08-2009, 11:04 PM
I thought he looked ok for his first game and limited minutes. I'm surprised he even played but who knows with Pop these days.

I'd rather have Hairston but might as well support MW if Pop is giving him a chance.

SouthTexasRancher
04-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Seriously, Pop has lost it. Peter Holt needs to get Pop to see a Neurologist and have an MRI. Pop has been making so many confusing decisions the past 2 years it is obvious that something is not right inside the old noggin'. It is more than just being senile. It is the crazy decisions he has made regarding players he has let get away (Scola, Pops, White, etc.) and the really crazy and stupid roles and minutes he has given the players. He has them all confused. It shows night in and night out. They couldn't beat the Little Sisters of Lonesome John 5th grade team the way they've played the second half of the season. This Spurs team is totally unrecognizable.

Blackjack
04-08-2009, 11:54 PM
IMO, the reason why Marcus has struggle to make it is that he doesn't fit a niche. So even if Marcus is more talented than some NBA players, it is harder to plug him into a team. If Pop figures hos to play him, I can definitely see him helping Spurs. Think at a Boris Diaw role (when Boris wasn't fat).

:tu

The thing about Marus is, I do like him as a player. He's got good measureables (height/wingspan) brings offensive versatility, and has the potential to be a very good team defender. (Definitely a knack for playing passing lanes)

As far as a man-to-man defender though, I'd say he's a longer, yet more fraile, Udoka. He'll have to use his length to space the offender to compensate for less than stellar foot-speed, and his rebounding will often times be his saving grace.

The thing that worries me about him, is that, well, this is Pop were talking about.

Marcus is the type of player that you have to dictate the matchups, not react to. If your not using him to be a playmaker and allowing him to create mismatches (ala Nelson's point-forward's) his liabilities become too glaring to justify him being out there. Maybe Pop's trying to go away from his counter-punching ways but I've yet to see sufficient evidence. It would be nice to see him dictate matchups for a change, though.

I don't hate the Williams signing, but I do hate the Hairston waiving. One could only hope they've got some kind of understanding, or knowledge that he's not likely to be picked up, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Hairston's going to be a player, I just hope he has a somewhat Williams-esque return to the Spurs.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-09-2009, 12:03 AM
Stupid move. But, fuck it. We have our championships. From now on, I'm just going to enjoy the ride.

45 bank shot
04-09-2009, 09:55 AM
dun really like it but i'll see what williams can provide

Marcus Bryant
04-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Spurs went with the player with the physical attributes which are in line with where the league has been moving for perimeter players. Tall and long. That appears to be the logic here.

EricB
04-09-2009, 10:01 AM
That and he seems to have improved.

If no one picks up Hairston, I gaurantee you the Spurs will resign him and put him back in the fold.

urunobili
04-09-2009, 11:43 AM
If no one picks up Hairston, I gaurantee you the Spurs will resign him and put him back in the fold.

I hope that is the case...

I think i nn help getting over the fact that spurs 3rd stringers are not super talent... i just start liking those prospects a lil too much maybe... like Malik.. what i saw from him defensively... i liked a lot.. but oh well they are the pro's im just another intl fan that thinks could have some logic good basketball opinion...

spurtech09
04-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Don't like this at all....malik h.. had potential

Bruno
04-09-2009, 04:42 PM
On a side note, DeMarcus Nelson has been called up by Chicago.

ChumpDumper
04-09-2009, 04:49 PM
On a side note, DeMarcus Nelson has been called up by Chicago.Good for him. He can drive well and he's been shooting very well from outside lately. His passing instincts are ok, but he has a lot of problems in the actual execution of the passes. Needs to work on getting the ball to the right spot for the receiver.

timaios
04-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Marcus Williams, DeMarcus Nelson...
So the Austin Toros are fucked for the 2009 playoffs !
Spurs, Toros, same destiny for 2009.

SenorSpur
04-09-2009, 08:42 PM

They still have Ian

Austin_Toros
04-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Why get rid of Hairston?

Austin_Toros
04-09-2009, 11:35 PM

LOL. that's one way of looking at it.

ducks
04-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Why get rid of Hairston?

suckage
do not think they could teach him to shoot

The Truth #6
04-09-2009, 11:46 PM
The beauty of Marcus Williams is that he's slow, undersized AND young. The fans get youth; Pop gets lack of athleticism and size so that he can immediately plug him into unrealistic defensive assignments. Sounds like everyone wins.

The Truth #6
04-09-2009, 11:46 PM
suckage
do not think they could teach him to shoot

Tony Parker had worse form until he met Chip.

HarlemHeat37
04-09-2009, 11:47 PM
a jump shot is something you can work on with a good shooting coach, and taking a lot of Js in the off-season..

you can't teach athleticism, fearlessness, and defensive ability..

ducks
04-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Tony Parker had worse form until he met Chip.

but not speed

ducks
04-09-2009, 11:55 PM
a jump shot is something you can work on with a good shooting coach, and taking a lot of Js in the off-season..

you can't teach athleticism, fearlessness, and defensive ability..

coaches in austin said no with his shooting

The Truth #6
04-10-2009, 12:32 AM
coaches in austin said no with his shooting

I doubt they even went that far with it. They probably asked how he compares to Parker and then used that as the basis for all their arguments.