PDA

View Full Version : Lebron 2009: The most egregious star treatment in the history of basketball

jonnybravo
04-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Sadly I wish it were hyperbole. I'm too lazy to verify Sam Smith's #'s but it's on a whole 'nother level of absurdness.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith2_090406.html?rss=true

"The Bulls, inching closer to qualifying for the NBA playoffs, could be opening against the Cleveland Cavaliers. The Cavs have the best record in the Eastern Conference and have just about clinched the No. 1 seed, and they have the likely league MVP, LeBron James.

James, certainly, is having a terrific season in carrying a Cavs team to the best record in franchise history without another true star.

There's been talk of James being the only player in the game today who one day could average a triple double, the long thought unreachable mark achieved only by Oscar Robertson. James is averaging 28.3 points, 7.8 rebounds and 7.3 assists this season.

But perhaps even more remarkable is in a season James is being pushed by many to be on the all-league defensive team, that James is being called for fewer fouls than perhaps any top perimeter player in the history of the game.

We always joke about stars getting all the calls, and we heard plenty of this in Chicago in Michael Jordan's era. Now, I'm not saying there's some sort of conspiracy. But James may well be the most protected star we've ever seen.

Do the referees consciously protect James knowing he is perhaps the league's top marketing figure and he is featured more than any player on the nightly sports highlights? I always doubt that knowing the integrity of the refereeing corps as a group and believe NBA officiating is the best in sports.

Still, we've never seen anything like this. Especially at a time when it is generally agreed with rules changes it is the most difficult time to defend on the perimeter without committing fouls.

James is averaging 1.72 fouls per game in an average of 37.9 minutes per game. James hasn't even been in foul trouble one game this season. He never has had more than four fouls called on him in a game, and since March 1 is being called for fewer than 1.3 fouls per game.

In 12 of the 20 games since then, James has been called for one or zero fouls in a game. James had a stretch of five straight games to conclude March averaging 36.8 minutes per game without being called for one foul. Not one in five games! In the last nine games, James has been called for three personal fouls. It's really amazing given the involvement James has in the action of the game.

"It's impossible," said one team executive.

The executive said there is one slight explanation. That the game has changed to so much drive and kick that the perimeter defenders end up guarding the three so much, and don't foul as often. That there is less one on one penetration. Still, he said not for five consecutive games like that.

James is now averaging 2.02 fouls per game in his career and has fouled out just three times in six seasons. Jordan averaged 2.6 fouls per game in his career and had fouled out eight times in his first six seasons.

Jordan averaged fewer than two fouls per game only in his last two seasons when he was not as active as a defender, and never as few as James' current 1.72. Among some of the great perimeter players in history, at a time when substantially more perimeter contact was allowed, Larry Bird averaged about 2.5 fouls, Magic Johnson 2.26 and Jerry West and Oscar Robertson well above two per game.

In the game now, Kobe Bryant has a career average of about 2.7 fouls per game and is about 2.3 this season. Dwyane Wade has a career average of 2.67 and is about 2.2 this season.

The all-time star with the fewest personal fouls was Wilt Chamberlain, who never fouled out of a game in his 14-year career. It was a point of pride with Wilt, who averaged 1.99 fouls per game in his career, barely below where James is now.

It simply defies explanation how James, who is an aggressive player, can be whistled for so few fouls per game, and especially at a time his team is saying he never has played better defense and when the rules are more stringent regarding perimeter contact. Can he truly be that perfect?

...... "

mardigan
04-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Bron has had 0 or 1 foul in 45 games this season. I love watching him play, but it's obvious with numbers like that that he is being called differently from other players.

z0sa
04-08-2009, 05:52 PM
the refereeing in the NBA is a joke. The zebras are used directly to aide certain players and their teams.

jonnybravo
04-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Bron has had 0 or 1 foul in 45 games this season. I love watching him play, but it's obvious with numbers like that that he is being called differently from other players.

Fuck me I didn't know this.

gaKNOW!blee
04-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Im sure he does get some special treatment. But the Cavs are a pretty good defensive team so he isn't having to help out and get reach in and blocking fouls. Also, he doesnt usually guard a very good offensive player so he rests a lot on defense.

Just playing devil's advocate a little, but that JRich blocks proves Lebron can get away with a lot.

IronMexican
04-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Star treatment, it's nothing new. Just about every star gets it.

iggypop123
04-08-2009, 06:02 PM
i don't care about how many fouls he gets called on, just the ones he gets .especially when he lowers his shoulders on people destroys them and he gets the call or the crab dribble. where is that dude with the zoiberg sig?

ginobili's bald spot
04-08-2009, 06:03 PM

WOW. Well maybe LeBron just never ever fouls anyone... I suppose it's possible. :lol

jonnybravo
04-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Star treatment, it's nothing new. Just about every star gets it.

It absolutely is something new.

This is star treatment taken to new heights.

I have a bad feeling Dwade Finals 06 will be child's play.

TheMACHINE
04-08-2009, 06:16 PM

Lebron = Best defender EVER

JamStone
04-08-2009, 06:46 PM
2006 NBA Finals.

The writer should reconsider his argument.

TampaDude
04-08-2009, 09:11 PM
2006 NBA Finals.

The writer should reconsider his argument.

D-Whistle!!! :lol

lefty
04-08-2009, 09:12 PM
What about Lakers in 2002 and 2008 ?