PDA

View Full Version : Was Manu a crutch?

dougp
04-08-2009, 07:05 PM
In the spirit of this newbs post, http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122184

I have to propose - was Manu's injury a crutch? It was always, "When Manu comes back ..." for the rotations and energy off the bench. No one really had to step up as we always heard, "When Manu comes back ..."

Now, our roleplayers have to step up. Mason HAS to step up. Gooden HAS to step up. There's no Manu, there's just the potential fishing trip to scare them.

peskypesky
04-08-2009, 07:20 PM
It's definitely possible that the other players slacked a little bit, thinking "Manu will save us." Now that he's gone, we shall see if they are able to pick their games up a bit.

Russ
04-08-2009, 07:39 PM
I have a hunch that Manu may be back if the Spurs get to at least the 2d round of the playoffs.

The Spurs' statement that Manu is out for the season was a knee-jerk reaction to unanticipated news that seemed impossible only 24 hours before. It was off-the-cuff and intended to squelch further (distracting) discussion on the subject.

Manu will have more MRIs and CAT scans in the coming weeks. It will all depend upon what they show and how Manu feels and what he wants.

The Spurs could conceivably play for another two and a half months. Who can say what will ultimately transpire.

HarlemHeat37
04-08-2009, 07:42 PM
obviously a HEALTHY Manu helps our team in a huge way, as our record indicates with him..but obviously an injured Manu hurts our team..

I've noticed our D has been much better without him, and I think the numbers can support my thoughts..

we needed Manu for any shot at a title though, everybody knows that..

Yuixafun
04-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Regardless if Manu returned to be the knight in shiny armor..

It's disgraceful and unprofessional to allow your game to deteriorate or diminish, or fail to work hard.

Don't give the role players and excuse for letting down. Don't put that on Manu.

They are responsible for their own actions. This notion that Manu's status in the line-up affected some of the players probably has some truth, but then that speaks poorly of them.

Don't get it twisted.

SenorSpur
04-08-2009, 10:20 PM
It's shows just how important he is to the team's success. However, I will say what I said after last year's series with the Fakers. The Spurs didn't just lose that series because Manu was injured. They also lost because they were outhustled, outrebounded and outquicked by a younger, more talented team. The FO admitted as much by taking small steps to draft younger players.

ElNono
04-08-2009, 10:37 PM
I have a hunch that Manu may be back if the Spurs get to at least the 2d round of the playoffs.

The Spurs' statement that Manu is out for the season was a knee-jerk reaction to unanticipated news that seemed impossible only 24 hours before. It was off-the-cuff and intended to squelch further (distracting) discussion on the subject.

Manu will have more MRIs and CAT scans in the coming weeks. It will all depend upon what they show and how Manu feels and what he wants.

The Spurs could conceivably play for another two and a half months. Who can say what will ultimately transpire.

He has a fracture. It takes 3 to 4 weeks with a boot or a cast, followed by 2 or 3 months of resting to get the bone at about 80% strength of normal (which normally is considered healed).
The good news is that bone injuries heal 100%. There's no long term effects like when you injure a muscle or a ligament.

ElNono
04-08-2009, 10:38 PM
It's shows just how important he is to the team's success. However, I will say what I said after last year's series with the Fakers. The Spurs didn't just lose that series because Manu was injured. They also lost because they were outhustled, outrebounded and outquicked by a younger, more talented team. The FO admitted as much by taking small steps to draft younger players.

I agree. We were also dead tired. We had two extremely difficult series after a very long season where we couldn't let up because the West was more competitive than ever.

Spursmania
04-08-2009, 10:41 PM
He has a fracture. It takes 3 to 4 weeks with a boot or a cast, followed by 2 or 3 months of resting to get the bone at about 80% strength of normal (which normally is considered healed).
The good news is that bone injuries heal 100%. There's no long term effects like when you injure a muscle or a ligament.

+100% correct:toast