PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Quotes (Blazers Game)

duncan228
04-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Post Game Quotes (http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/quotes_090408.html)

Gregg Popovich

On the game - "We had a tough time sustaining and for us, this late in the year, it was a tough back-to-back. They came out and I appreciate the players' effort, especially against a young, athletic team this late in the season."

On pulling Tim Duncan late in the game - "I didn't like the way he moved on a loose ball, so I pulled him. He went tonight because he felt good; it's about health, not standings. When I thought he didn't (feel it), I decided to pull him."

When asked if losing Manu played a factor - "They're pros. In this game, players go. I could go, it doesn't matter. I think given the makeup of our team and of their team, this late in the year, a back-to-back is tougher for us."

Tony Parker

On the game - "It was a tough back-to-back for us. We played against a very good team. They were younger and more athletic than us. We had a good first half, had a big lead and then lost it, and the second half was kind of tough for. I thought we had no energy."

On Tim Duncan’s play - "Pop (Gregg Popovich) didn't want to play him at first. He didn't want to play him because it was back-to-back. TD (Tim Duncan) played anyways but then when we were down 10 Pop didn't want to take any risks."

On playing without Manu Ginobili and Tim Duncan not 100% - "It’s been like that for a while. People don't realize Tim has been playing on one leg for like a month and a half now. We just can't pay attention. We just have to take the challenge and play even harder. In the playoffs there's no back-to-backs, so that's good news for us."

On not being able to hold an early lead - "They're a good team, they're a good team. I think, overall, they had more energy than us."

Roger Mason Jr.

On facing a young and athletic Blazers team on the second half of a back-to-back - "Obviously, it was tough. We had a good win yesterday and an athletic, deep team tonight got the best of us"

On not being able to hold an early lead - "You know they're going to make a push but I think in that second quarter we started missing shots and we didn't have any defense. They were hitting shots and (Brandon) Roy got going a little bit and then they hit that shot at the end of the half and the momentum was going their way."

On Tim Duncan not being 100% healthy - "He didn't look like himself but he's been playing a little banged up, we all know that, but he's still been able to produce. Obviously, we'll need him Friday and the rest of the season."

Blazers Head Coach Nate McMillan

On the game - "Our guys just kept fighting. We had a bad first quarter where everything was going wrong. We had no defense, no ball movement offensively, but we settled down in the second quarter. In the second quarter we started to play defense and we were able to get the ball into the transition and we had better ball movement. Our defense improved each quarter. We had a lot of fight in our guys. It was the last game of what seemed like a long road trip and our guys didn't give in to fatigue. We wanted to beat this team. San Antonio is one of the top teams in the league and we wanted to play our best tonight and for three quarters we did."

On how huge this win is going into the playoffs - "It was a grind and that is what the playoffs are going to be about. You have to play hard, smart and together and we got that from our guys tonight. Everyone played and played well."

On containing Tony Parker in the second half - "We I thought the pick and roll defense was good. I thought the wall that we tried to set up was good and our weak side was tight. We just didn’t try to show him any lanes going to the basket."

On having a three way tie with the Spurs and the Rockets - "We continue with our approach, which is to take one game at a time and to try to win that game. We got this win tonight it was a great road trip for us late in the season. Now we go home to face the Lakers the top team in the conference and try to protect our home court."

Greg Oden

On the game - "The guys definitely played hard and played a good game. We came together and everything started clicking."

On what was at stake tonight - "As it gets down to the end of the season we definitely want to try to get our goals. Getting 50 wins was a big goal and was accomplished that. We just want to keep on winning to get home court in the playoffs. You just want to be one of those teams that starts off at home in the playoffs and get that little bit of advantage."

On their confidence after a win like tonight - "It shows to us that we can definitely get a good team on the road and that's something that we need going into the playoffs because we know we're going to be playing a good team. We know we're going to have to play them at their home. For us it's just going to boost up our confidence."

LaMarcus Aldridge

On the game - "It's one of the top wins for us. They're one of the top teams in the league and most top teams win at home. To come in here and get a win feels good."

On cementing their status in the league - "We're up-and-coming and we're getting better each and every day. That keeps us going."

On playing low in the third quarter - "I started out low. They just double-teamed me every time. I didn't just go down there in the third. I started out down there, but they made an emphasis to double-team me. I think in the third they had forgot about me a little bit and that gave me some room to play."

On back-to-back comeback wins - "We’re getting better I think and we’re learning how to win. It sometimes takes us a little bit of time to figure it out but I think overall this team is growing up."

SenorSpur
04-08-2009, 10:04 PM
This recent game versus the Blazers was indicative of two franchises clearly going in opposite directions. The Spurs used to conquer young, athletic teams with execution, precision, and experience. Nowadays, they're left to counter these type of teams with long-distance shooting, age, and injury.

Spursmania
04-08-2009, 10:17 PM
No surprises. I mean Duncan played 20 minutes on one leg and no Manu. TP running out of gas. Our role players not hitting shots. Frankly, I thought Portland should have blown us away. I think Tim should just rest and heal his body for next year. But, he's such a warrior, pride will not let him tank the playoffs. But I really wish they would shut him down-it's better for the franchise.

What's hard is watching these teams that ordinarily we would blow out win these games. They leave with a false sense of confidence because they are beating a mere reflection of what the Spurs actiually are. I can't wait for the players to heal and be back next year. Payback will be a bitch.

ElNono
04-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Pop: "They made their shots..."

ducks
04-08-2009, 10:25 PM
yes spurs legs were shot in second half

phxspurfan
04-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Spurs used to have the personnel to beat teams like this. Now we have no interior defense and no perimeter defense.

ducks
04-08-2009, 11:03 PM
blazers are very long

Baseline
04-08-2009, 11:07 PM
How many years have we been complaining about back to backs? Maybe ten years in a row now?

"They're younger and more athletic" is the new excuse.

A more accuate one would be... "Popovich doesn't believe in playing young guys, so that means we'll probably lose the second game of back to backs until he retires."

superbigtime
04-09-2009, 12:13 AM
This recent game versus the Blazers was indicative of two franchises clearly going in opposite directions. The Spurs used to conquer young, athletic teams with execution, precision, and experience. Nowadays, they're left to counter these type of teams with long-distance shooting, age, and injury.

100% true. And Portland wasn't doing too bad with the long ball either. Outrebounded us like crazy in 2nd half. Spurs outplayed in so many ways just hurt to watch.

duncan228
04-09-2009, 01:27 AM
Recap/Video/Locker Room Interviews: Parker, Pop, and Mason Jr.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/090408.html

kace
04-09-2009, 03:26 AM
How many years have we been complaining about back to backs? Maybe ten years in a row now?

and guess what ? we're the best team in winning % in second game of back-to-back since 2006 (68 %)