PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Parker's Pain Gives Popovich A Brain Cramp

duncan228
04-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Parker's pain gives Popovich a brain cramp (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Parkers_pain_gives_Popovich_a_brain_cramp.html)
Mike Monroe

One member of Gregg Popovich's “Big Three,” Manu Ginobili, already had been declared out for the season, and a second had looked so brittle that the Spurs coach sent Tim Duncan to the bench early in the fourth quarter.

So when All-Star point guard Tony Parker came up limping after a drive to the basket with 3:40 left in the Spurs' 95-83 loss to the Portland Trail Blazers at the AT&T Center on Wednesday night, Popovich feared the worst.

“I thought he did (turn an ankle),” Popovich said. “I was frightened. But when he came out he said he had a cramp.”

Indeed, Parker said he had cramps in both calves as the second game of a set of back-to-back games neared its conclusion.

Parker has battled cramps before, vowing to drink more of the health drinks prescribed by the team's training and conditioning staff.

Goal unattained: When Duncan, playing the second game of a back-to-back for the first time since Feb. 10 and 11, took his first rest of the game, the Spurs had a 14-point lead with 2:14 left in the first quarter.

“Our goal was to keep the lead that size so Tim could get more rest,” said Drew Gooden, who takes the power forward role when Duncan is out. “In a back-to-back like this, a blowout game would have been in our favor.

“But Portland was determined. You could see it in their eyes. They kept their composure. For a young team to do what they did tonight was impressive. They were on the road and playing the Spurs, and they handled their business.”

New Spur: With Ginobili out for the season, the Spurs signed swingman Marcus Williams, an NBA D-League first-team selection with the Austin Toros.

The Spurs selected Williams in the second round of the 2007 draft, 33rd overall. Waived after playing only one game with the Spurs, he played 10 games for the Los Angeles Clippers last season. He also spent 36 games with the Toros in 2007-08.

In 45 games with the Toros this season, Williams averaged 23.0 points, 7.0 rebounds and 5.0 assists.

“He's a young, talented kid,” Popovich said. “He's played a lot of games and been working hard, and we felt he needed to be rewarded at this point, since he's played so well in Austin.”

To make a spot, the Spurs waived Malik Hairston.

completely deck
04-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Oh come on, TP not you too :bang

Kori Ellis
04-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Oh come on, TP not you too :bang

Did you read it? It said he didn't twist his ankle/hurt himself that he just had cramps.

sammy
04-09-2009, 12:04 AM
Thank God it was cramps! When I saw him limping I thought he pulled something but was hoping it was a cramp! Since he's been playing so many minutes it was bound to happen that he would cramp up! Rest up TP.

Josepatches_
04-09-2009, 12:12 AM
I hope not.

Anyway I don't want to be pesimist but TP is going to have problems with his style of play.
Outside players who can live with the JS or post moves like Kobe or MJ have more chance to still be in the top along the years.

IMO we were lucky with Tony because he is like a stone.He recieves a lot of blows every game with his style of play.Like Manu it's easy that he can have big problems with the ankles in 2 or 3 years.He had problems in the past with them and sure he's not at 100%.That's why I'm more impressed with his season.

phxspurfan
04-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Yeah I saw it too...he definitely had a calf cramp. The way he was stretching it when he got back on D, I was just hoping the Blazers wouldn't give the ball to his man. And of course they did...

Bukefal
04-09-2009, 05:44 AM
please please please TP, let everything be allright. We need him so bad, like we did all season long. You are a superstar!!! GO Tony Go!!!

polandprzem
04-09-2009, 05:50 AM
Cramp in basketball game is a rare thing

Tonys body needs so good rest.

Wow, spurs are demolished

Bukefal
04-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Well he has been working like crazy all season long, he was on fire every game-night on superstar level, the guy is getting tired now too. I hope he can just last a little longer with continuing this level until the playoffs are over.

alchemist
04-09-2009, 06:40 AM
Tony needs to look after his health, right now he's our franchise player we go as far as Tony takes us.