PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs' Lead Flames Out Against Blazers

duncan228
04-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Spurs' lead flames out against Blazers (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Final_Blazers_95_Spurs_83.html)
Jeff McDonald

The question went back and forth in Gregg Popovich’s mind, on the plane back from Oklahoma City, throughout a restless night, during morning meetings and strategy sessions, almost all the way to tipoff Wednesday night.

To play or not to play Tim Duncan?

For Popovich, that was the question on the second night of a back-to-back. It took him almost all day to make up his mind, then 3 1/2 quarters of the Spurs’ 95-83 loss to Portland to change it.

With 7:08 in the game and its outcome still somewhat in the balance, Popovich called Duncan to the bench for good.

“I didn’t like the way he moved on a loose ball,” Popovich said. “So I pulled him.”

Duncan had just re-entered 32 seconds earlier, time enough for one offensive possession that ended with him clambering after a rogue rebound like a 32-year-old man on a pair of bad knees.

Popovich had seen enough. With Portland ahead 76-69 and surging, with his captain looking like he might topple at any moment, Popovich waved the white flag. Or, this being NBA Green Week, the green flag.

He did it to preserve Duncan, his most important star still remaining now that Manu Ginobili is out for the season.

“It’s all got to do with his health, not standings or anything like that,” Popovich said. “He felt good (at first). When I thought he didn’t, that’s when I decided to pull him.”

The Trail Blazers, who had already come rushing back from a 19-point second-quarter deficit, were already firmly in control at that point. Duncan’s untimely exit helped seal the deal.

With the victory, Portland’s first in San Antonio since 2002, the Blazers forged a three-way tie with the Spurs and Houston for third in the Western Conference at 50-28.

Playing on bad knees for nearly two months, Duncan had been sitting the second nights of back-to-backs. Wednesday was his first such appearance since Feb. 11. That he was even out there to begin with surprised his teammates.

Duncan logged 23 minutes, 57 seconds Wednesday, after playing nearly 33 on Tuesday night in Oklahoma City. He scored four points, missed 6 of 8 shots and grabbed just five rebounds before Popovich sat him.

“Pop didn’t want to play him at first,” said Tony Parker, who scored 17 points. “He wanted to play. You have to admire Timmy for that.”

Quick prediction: Popovich will not be so quick to relent Monday, when the Spurs finish their final back-to-back at Golden State.

Duncan didn’t want to leave Wednesday’s game. The way he stared at Popovich on his way to the sideline — half confused, half determined — said as much.

“I don’t want a hero,” Popovich told Duncan as he removed him from the game. “I want a healthy guy.”

What the Spurs could have used most, less than 24 hours after a taxing victory in Oklahoma City, was an outcome that was also most improbable — a big, blowout victory over the second-youngest team in the NBA. For a while, it seemed doable.

The Spurs jumped out to a 19-point lead in less than 16 minutes. And by halftime, it was almost all gone.

By the third quarter, the Spurs were spent. LaMarcus Aldridge scored 14 of his 20 points in the frame as the Trail Blazers pulled ahead to take a 70-67 lead into the fourth.

“Given the makeup of our team, and you look at the makeup of their team, this late in the year, a back-to-back is going to be a whole lot tougher for us,” Popovich said. “That showed as the game went along.”

Nobody took the back-to-back harder than Duncan.

He was not available for comment after the game, but then again, what could he say that he hasn’t already said?

Yes, his knees ache. They will be an issue for the rest of the season. All he can do is play on, for as long as his coach will let him.

Killakobe81
04-09-2009, 12:04 AM
Duncan is a warrior but things seeem bleak for '09

Blackjack
04-09-2009, 12:09 AM
The question went back and forth in Gregg Popovich’s mind, on the plane back from Oklahoma City, throughout a restless night, during morning meetings and strategy sessions, almost all the way to tipoff Wednesday night.

To play or not to play Tim Duncan?

Well, hell...

If I'd known it was going to be so hard for Pop to decide to sit Tim on the second night of a back-to-back, when they're in the middle of a three games-in-four-night stretch, I wish he'd just given me a call.

Here's how that conversation would've gone-

Pop- Should I, or should I not, play Tim?

Blackjack- STFU, go to sleep, and I look forward to seeing Tim against the Jazz.

Russ
04-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Spurs' lead flames out against Blazers (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Final_Blazers_95_Spurs_83.html)
Jeff McDonald

“Given the makeup of our team, and you look at the makeup of their team, this late in the year, a back-to-back is going to be a whole lot tougher for us,” Popovich said. “That showed as the game went along.”

Nobody took the back-to-back harder than Duncan.

The good news is no back-to-backs in the playoffs.

The better news is Duncan high-fiving the troops as they headed to the locker after the game. I suspect this team is not as resigned to their ignoble fate as most fans.

EricB
04-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Almost brings a tear to your eye. They busted ass tonight there was just no gas in the tank. Onto Friday

phxspurfan
04-09-2009, 01:03 AM
Duncan didn’t want to leave Wednesday’s game. The way he stared at Popovich on his way to the sideline — half confused, half determined — said as much.

“I don’t want a hero,” Popovich told Duncan as he removed him from the game. “I want a healthy guy.”

Yeah, that scene just about killed me. It really showed what's been happening on the Spurs sidelines all season long. We have heart, but we're not set up to win this year. In so many ways this is not our year. But bless them for trying...

EricB
04-09-2009, 01:04 AM
They just ran out of gas in that second and third quarters.

But they were bustin their collective asses.

Drew Gooden on the other hand....

:pctoss

Agloco
04-09-2009, 09:03 AM
They just ran out of gas in that second and third quarters.

But they were bustin their collective asses.

Drew Gooden on the other hand....

:pctoss

Par for the course.....

Bonehead Inc.

MoSpur
04-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Give Duncan the rest of the season off. Forget the standings. Give Gooden the starting job and let him work on his defense. I want to go into the playoffs with a somewhat healthy Tim Duncan than a busted up Tim Duncan.

Spursmania
04-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Watching Pop tell Tim he won't play with his knees like that and seeing Tim's face-was just about all a true fan can handle. This is really tough. But what won't break you will make you tougher. This team will come back. And, payback will be a bitch.

DPG21920
04-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Jeff McDonald

Yes, his knees ache. They will be an issue for the rest of the season. All he can do is play on, for as long as his coach will let him.

spurtech09
04-09-2009, 01:58 PM
pop should reduce tp mins...rest timmy d.....g.Hill should be the back up pg. not mason....mason is also getting tired starting and than being a back up pg....Also pop should of kept malik h. and take udoka's mins....udoka blows....now we have williams on the roster use him as well.....