PDA

View Full Version : Which PSP is the best?

Jacob1983
04-09-2009, 03:42 AM
Original aka PSP-1000, Slim, or the latest one PSP-3000? I'm just curious because I'm thinking about getting one. I don't know if it would be better just to get a used original one at Gamestop or get a brand new PSP-3000. I've read that each version has its ups and downs. I mainly want to get a PSP so I can have something to do while I'm on breaks and lunches at my work.

IronMexican
04-09-2009, 09:38 AM
I'd recommend you get a DS unless you plan on hacking the psp. I had a PSP, and there are no good games on it.

koriwhat
04-09-2009, 10:08 AM
i hate my psp... i've only played it a handful of times and then through it in the house somewhere. fuckin' hate it!

CuckingFunt
04-09-2009, 11:05 AM
If they would just add a second analog nubbin, the PSP would actually be a really good handheld. As it is, though, Lumines and Loco Roco are the only games I've found that don't have a control system so annoying that I have to stop playing.

Cry Havoc
04-09-2009, 11:08 AM
+1 to the other posters. The new DSi just came out. Tons of good games for it.

mardigan
04-09-2009, 11:30 AM
If they would just add a second analog nubbin, the PSP would actually be a really good handheld. As it is, though, Lumines and Loco Roco are the only games I've found that don't have a control system so annoying that I have to stop playing.

God Of War Chains Of Olympus handles just fine.

IronMexican
04-09-2009, 11:38 AM
I used to be stuck on Socom FTB. Clan wars and all that shit. Funnest game I ever had.

Creepn
04-09-2009, 01:53 PM
I love my psp. Got the Psp Fat (original) and got all my games and music in 8gb memory cards. The only game that had clunky controls that I've expereinced was Syphon Filter. But the other games, God of War (awesome), Grand Theft Auto, Madden, Killzone, Resistance, all seem pretty smooth to me.

The psp- 3000 has higher resolution and has an added feature to plug in a mic to use it as a telephone. You know thats badass.

baseline bum
04-09-2009, 03:27 PM
I bought a PSP for the exact same reason, and got sick of it after a week. It's a horrible handheld, and no one makes games for it. I ended up giving it to my brother because he wanted to hack it and put the PS1 Chrono Trigger on it. The DS is so much more fun to play than the PSP.

DS games just fit the concept of simple fun things that are easy and good in small doses that handheld games should be. PSP is like playing a watered-down PS2 with bad controls on a three-inch screen.

Fermixalot
04-09-2009, 04:26 PM
The PSP has become a niche handheld. There are some really good games for it (LocoRoco, GOW, Crisis Core, Patapon) but a majority of them aren't that great.

It is good as long as you hack it which is pretty simple, but requires one of the older models. it opens the whole world of portable emulation to you and its pretty sweet with Memory stick prices so low now.

koriwhat
04-09-2009, 04:42 PM
i wanted to hack mine and tried but it didn't work. i cut the battery in half for no reason. still works and is still a huge waste of money.

ps: and i'm sure i went about hacking that shit the wrong way.

baseline bum
04-09-2009, 05:16 PM
PSP's emulation capabilities aren't that great. The NES emulator crashes all the time on it. You can't play Contra on it. The SNES emulator isn't capable of playing most games at normal speed even if you overclock the processor to 333 MHz. On the plus side, one of the few games mine did play really well was SuperMario RPG. The MAME emulator is pretty bad, and also requires you to go and recompress all of your roms into a different format than the Windows and Linux MAME emulators do. It's much more of a pain in the ass than it sounds. It played less than half of the roms I can play on MAME in Linux even, much less Windows. Many of those it can play do not run at full speed either. This is in the 1.50 firmware and the hacked 3.03a and 3.03b firmwares. Also, you're going to lose the ability to play new games, as most PSP games come with automatic firmware updates.

Creepn
04-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Man I don't know Baseline Bum, you've probably hacked the shit wrong or something. Never had a problem here. I guess thats why I like it and you have your experiences that caused you to hate it.

baseline bum
04-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Man I don't know Baseline Bum, you've probably hacked the shit wrong or something. Never had a problem here. I guess thats why I like it and you have your experiences that caused you to hate it.

Do you have a very early PSP?

Creepn
04-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Not the one with the original 1.50 firmware and motherboard. Why?

Fermixalot
04-09-2009, 06:51 PM
PSP's emulation capabilities aren't that great. The NES emulator crashes all the time on it. You can't play Contra on it. The SNES emulator isn't capable of playing most games at normal speed even if you overclock the processor to 333 MHz. On the plus side, one of the few games mine did play really well was SuperMario RPG. The MAME emulator is pretty bad, and also requires you to go and recompress all of your roms into a different format than the Windows and Linux MAME emulators do. It's much more of a pain in the ass than it sounds. It played less than half of the roms I can play on MAME in Linux even, much less Windows. Many of those it can play do not run at full speed either. This is in the 1.50 firmware and the hacked 3.03a and 3.03b firmwares. Also, you're going to lose the ability to play new games, as most PSP games come with automatic firmware updates.

I have a pretty early PSP, downgraded with Pandora and am currently running CFW 4.01 M33-2 and can run new games without a problem as well as most emulators. I can run my SNES games at full speed, though there is a bit of slow down in some games.

Go to pspiso.com. Its a great homebrew community with lots of easy to follow guides and a great selection of homebrew games.

baseline bum
04-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Not the one with the original 1.50 firmware and motherboard. Why?

Just wondering if maybe the hardware was different in the early PSPs. Mine was like 2.70 originally I think, and had what was considered one of the bad motherboards for downgrading.

I have a pretty early PSP, downgraded with Pandora and am currently running CFW 4.01 M33-2 and can run new games without a problem as well as most emulators. I can run my SNES games at full speed, though there is a bit of slow down in some games.

Go to pspiso.com. Its a great homebrew community with lots of easy to follow guides and a great selection of homebrew games.

'Eh, already gave mine away a few months ago. The downgrader I used was called hend, or something like that. The worst SNES game that I remember being really horrible on it was F-Zero.

ManuTP9
04-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Lmao i remmber i had a psps then it bricked on me. get a DSi! much better like cry havoc said