PDA

View Full Version : RIP Nick Adenhart

TheMACHINE
04-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Angels pitcher died this morning in a hit and run. He played awesome last night.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4055343

Angels pitcher killed in crash

Nick Adenhart, a rookie pitcher for the Los Angeles Angels, died in a hit-and-run car crash early Thursday morning, just hours after pitching in a game in Anaheim.

University of California, Irvine Medical Center spokesman John Murray said Adenhart died after undergoing surgery.

Adenhart, 22, was one of three people killed in the crash just after midnight local time, after pitching in a loss against the Oakland Athletics. He got a no-decision after six scoreless innings, giving up seven hits, striking out five and walking three in just his fourth major league start.

The driver of a minivan ran a red light in Fullerton and hit two cars. According to the Los Angeles Times, two people were pronounced dead at the scene, and two were taken to a hospital. The fourth person is reported to be seriously injured.

The Times reported that the minivan's driver ran from the scene, but was arrested about a mile away.

Adenhart, a 6-foot-3, 185-pounder from Silver Spring, Md., made his major league debut on May 1, 2008. He has spent most of his time since with Triple-A Salt Lake, but got his break this year with a good spring training and the fact the team needed help in the starting rotation, with John Lackey, Ervin Santana and Kelvim Escobar all starting on the disabled list.

sribb43
04-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Crazy just heard about it, dude was only 22 and pitched very well last night. Glad they caught and arrested the SOB who tried to flee the seen..just sad

Whisky Dog
04-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Such a tragic thing, good luck and fortune to his family after having to go through this.

Melmart1
04-09-2009, 11:31 AM
I don't even know what to say. This is beyond tragic.

i LUV da SpURZ
04-09-2009, 11:44 AM
dat sucz,, RiP

Melmart1
04-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Here is another story on it, with pictures of the cars involved. I have seen people walk away from worse-looking wrecks, while others like this seem harmless but nobody survived. It's insane:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/04/angels-pitcher-nick-adenhart-killed-in-accident.html

Did you guys know a fan died after getting sucker-punched from behind at Angels Stadium on Opening Day? It weirds me out that there have been two tragedies in two games for this team.

Here is the story:
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9433090/Report:-Man-dies-after-opening-day-fight

And somehow, they have pictures of the two guys responsible, although they haven't identified or found them:
http://www.halosheaven.com/2009/4/9/828099/wanted-sucker-punching-murderers

It's crazy what a moment of recklessness can do -- it killed three people (and one of the others is apparently in the Angels organization besides Adenhart) in the crash and by being reckless and macho, killed another man. Ridiculous. I hope these people rot in hell.

IronMexican
04-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Rest in Peace.

TheTruth
04-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Wow! Total Bummer.

RIP!

Horry For 3!
04-09-2009, 12:52 PM
It is crazy because he pitched last night and then now this morning he is dead. He was goin to be a great pitcher too, he showed his talents last night.

FromWayDowntown
04-09-2009, 01:58 PM
I saw this story break this morning while I was at the gym. I literally had to turn off the iPod so that I could read the closed captioning of the reporting that ESPN was doing. I did it with my mouth opened by the sheer shock of the news in light of the fact that just about 20 minutes earlier I had seen the highlights of his start last night against the A's.

Tragedy seems too light a word -- and tragic for more than just the loss of a promising pitcher; the loss of the others who were with him is equally tragic, if only less publicly so. I had the great misfortune of witnessing what proved to be a fatal accident as it happened a few weeks ago. To this day, I see that silver jeep cartwheeling down the median and think of the tragedy that befell the family of that driver - anonymous as he might have been to most of the world - in the instant between life and death. It puts a great deal into perspective.

I was a baseball fan a generation ago when news that Lyman Bostock, then a California Angel, had been shot and killed one September evening in 1978. I vividly recall my next door neighbor crying on August 1, 1979 when he learned the news that Thurman Munson had died in a plane crash. I remember being shocked by the sudden deaths of Darryl Kile and Josh Hancock; of Tim Crews and Steve Olin; of Cory Lidle and Mike Sharperson. As a fan of the game, it's still a jarring thing to hear such terrible news.

Melmart1
04-09-2009, 02:04 PM
More information:

Police arrested Andrew Thomas Gallo, 22, of Riverside, was arrested on suspicion of felony driving under the influence and vehicular manslaughter, said Lt. Kevin Hamilton of the Fullerton Police Department, who appeared at a news conference this morning at Angels Stadium. Gallo has a prior DUI conviction and his driver’s license had been suspended, Hamilton said.

This just make me more angry about the whole thing. Not only was he drunk, but he had a suspended license for DUI. Some people just never learn, and then they have to go and take other peoples' lives as a result.

TDomination
04-09-2009, 02:24 PM
How horrible. RIP

TheMACHINE
04-09-2009, 03:09 PM
The drunk driver always survives, while the other 3 dies...it happens way to often.

I dont watch baseball too much, but i actually was switching between the Dodgers and Angels game last night and had the privilage of watching Adenhart do his thing.

Dingle Barry
04-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Enjoy however many years of being somebody's bitch only to look forward to an infinite hell, you cowardly piece of shit.
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0409/mlb_gallo1_sw_sq_600.jpg

TheMACHINE
04-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Enjoy however many years of being somebody's bitch only to look forward to an infinite hell, you cowardly piece of shit.
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0409/mlb_gallo1_sw_sq_600.jpg

someone needs to rip his balls off

Trainwreck2100
04-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Here is another story on it, with pictures of the cars involved. I have seen people walk away from worse-looking wrecks, while others like this seem harmless but nobody survived. It's insane:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/04/angels-pitcher-nick-adenhart-killed-in-accident.html

Did you guys know a fan died after getting sucker-punched from behind at Angels Stadium on Opening Day? It weirds me out that there have been two tragedies in two games for this team.

Here is the story:
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9433090/Report:-Man-dies-after-opening-day-fight

I'm never going to irvine's medical center that's for sure
And somehow, they have pictures of the two guys responsible, although they haven't identified or found them:
http://www.halosheaven.com/2009/4/9/828099/wanted-sucker-punching-murderers

It's crazy what a moment of recklessness can do -- it killed three people (and one of the others is apparently in the Angels organization besides Adenhart) in the crash and by being reckless and macho, killed another man. Ridiculous. I hope these people rot in hell.

resistanze
04-09-2009, 09:45 PM
I love how these asshole always leave the scene without a scratch. Life in prison.

timvp
04-09-2009, 11:20 PM
The drunk driver has been identified as Andrew Gallo of Riverside, California. The 22-year-old had previous arrests for drunken driving and his license was suspended at the time of the incident. Police say that Gallo is being charged with felony DUI, felony hit-and-run, three charges of vehicular manslaughter and three charges of murder.

http://www.everyjoe.com/knucklecurve/angels-nick-adenhart-killed-by-drunk-driver/

D-bag should fry. :td

dallaskd
04-10-2009, 12:04 AM
That whole story is terrible. Pray for his family.

bostonguy
04-10-2009, 01:40 AM
The drunk driver will have to live with this mistake for the rest of his life. When he wakes up and looks at himself in the mirror he will see a heartless coward who took someones life. I will have no sympathy for the wrath of karma that will strike this son of a bitch.

Purple & Gold
04-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Sad Sad story my prayers go out to all the people that died in that accident RIP

duncan228
04-10-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm in Southern California, the coverage is everywhere. It's horrifying to follow. His father has been eloquent in his handling of it. You can feel his pain. His family, friends, and teammates seem to be taking comfort in Adenhart accomplishing his dream.

What a nightmare. :(

samikeyp
04-11-2009, 10:16 AM
D-bag should fry. :td

slowly.

J.T.
04-11-2009, 11:17 AM
It is comforting to know that man will be bleeding out his ass for the better part of the rest of his life. Hopefully he's offed in jail while he sits on death row for 25 years. If this happened in Texas he'd be dead in 5.

JamStone
04-15-2009, 07:51 AM
If he didn't leave the scene of the crime, would you guys still feel such venom and hate for the drunk driver? I mean, wow. I pray for his soul as much as the kids that died and their families. He's a trouble kid who drove drunk. I know plenty of good people that have driven drunk before. Not that's right or even comes close to justifying him speeding off after the accident, but I see him as a trouble kid more than anything. Some of things some of you wish on him I'd rather be directed to premeditated murderers and rapists and child molesters.

Melmart1
04-15-2009, 10:14 AM
If he didn't leave the scene of the crime, would you guys still feel such venom and hate for the drunk driver? I mean, wow. I pray for his soul as much as the kids that died and their families. He's a trouble kid who drove drunk. I know plenty of good people that have driven drunk before. Not that's right or even comes close to justifying him speeding off after the accident, but I see him as a trouble kid more than anything. Some of things some of you wish on him I'd rather be directed to premeditated murderers and rapists and child molesters.

His license was suspended for previous drunk driving. So he had done this before and knew the consequences. When he was sober and made the decision to take that first drink knowing he had to drive home, he sealed his fate. Might as well be premeditated, considering his knowledge due to past actions.

JamStone
04-15-2009, 10:18 AM
I had read that already. That doesn't change my mind about this. I'm not saying he is blameless or shouldn't be punished. But, I don't understand the vile and venom towards him, at least to the degree it's being demonstrated by some of these posts. A stupid, reckless action, sure. It wasn't close to being comparable to being premeditated.

ClingingMars
04-17-2009, 09:05 PM

the problem here is the previous incidents. he's had plenty of chances.