PDA

View Full Version : Rosen tears Odens game apart. Lakers made out with Drew.

RedsLakers24
04-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Astute and always sensible NBA writer Charlie Rosen took the time to take apart Portlands Greg Oden today. He was unsparing and honest in his analysis of the deficiencies that plague Portlands putative savior of the pivot.

I talked with several Portland fans after they drafted him. They all said Oden would quickly pass Drew as a superior center in the NBA citing reasons like bigger build, more athleticism and better defensive presence.The also put alot of stock in his college career and reputation versus Drew pretty much being a nobody and a project who slipped down in the draft and was viewed as a risk. They just loved Oden's pedegree and hated Drew's. In otherwords filet mignon vs chopped liver.

I never did agree with this assesment. Oden always seemed to me to be very stiff in his movements and not agile enough to become a dreadnaught center. His offensive game looked even worse. I did not then, nor do I now understand how anyone who has seen both men play think Oden is near Drew when it comes to pure athleticism.

The one thing I always like about Drew, that impressed me even when he couldn't really play ball was how fast and graceful he seemed to move even at his size. It made me think that if this guy had the heart and desire to learn the game then he could be something really good if he worked at it. You have to have good clay in order for it to be molded into something special. With Drew I saw very good clay, with Oden I saw clay you could get at a dollar store. Yeah it is there but it just doesn't have those inherant qualities you need if you are making something unique that will stand out.

It would be very ironic if one of our biggest and longtime rivals was fooled into buying a center made of inferior clay while paying a premium price for it, while we end up with a great center who was drafted as a project...a dollar store bargin who turns out to be top shelf clay.

It is those kind of vississitudes and tricks of fate that can make or break a franchise and cause one to be just a playoff also ran and lead the other to championships.

Injuries aside, If both players were now to come out in the draft, I wonder which would be viewed as the best clay and taken with the first pick and which would slide down the draft as not really all that special.

In my book the Lakers made out like a bandit and Portland fans will end up looking at our center and wistfully wish he wore their colors and not ours. But then, somehow, someway, we always do seem to resign Portland to second best when it matters. It is just how it is when you are the Lakers and they are Porland.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9430598/For-now,-Przybilla-better-than-Oden

PDXSpursFan
04-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Drew = Oden = injury-prone

sook
04-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Yao + Dwight shit on these guys

JamStone
04-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Which Laker made out with Drew?

From the Playboy pictures, I assumed he was straight.

jag
04-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Meanwhile...

Durant's gonna be a perennial all star.

timvp
04-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Phil Jackson's co-author singing the praises of the Lakers. Be still my beating heart before I die of surprisism.

Ghazi
04-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Kevin mutha fuckin Durant

lefty
04-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Typical Rosen.

Fucking Laker cocksucker

anonoftheinternets
04-09-2009, 04:03 PM
hmm this reminds me of something. Oh yea right this:

3-Mq31bikRI

crc21209
04-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Rosen= old piece of trash.

Muser
04-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Typical "Second coming of Wilt" article.

Allanon
04-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Bynum needs to get more shots, he's only getting 10 shots this year.

If Bynum can stay healthy next year and get 15 shots a game, he'll be a ~20 point ~10 rebound ~3 block guy.

Not enough shots to go around on the Lakers so more likely, he'll go up to 12 shots and be around ~17 points.

Capt Bringdown
04-09-2009, 07:01 PM
What is it up there in Portland that causes them to make shockingly bad draft decisions?

LaRue Martin, taken before HOFer Bob McAdoo.

Sam Bowie, taken before Michael Jordan (they should have folded the tent and shut down the franchise after that).

And now Oden, taken before Durant.

Must suck to be a Portland fan.

tlongII
04-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Yah it really sucks to be a Portland fan now! :lol

Bynum will match up with Oden tomorrow night. We'll see what happens.

Showtime24 LAKERS
04-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Centers take a long time to mature in the NBA (about 5 yrs.) Since Oden has been in the hospital longer than he has been in the NBA it may take him longer to shine. I feel it is too soon to judge him. If he kisses a frog he may turn into a prince of a center.

KSeal
04-09-2009, 07:53 PM

We probably wont, Bynum might just start the first six or seven minuets of the first and third quarters and that's it, then we won't actually see Bynum vs. Oden cause Oden comes off the bench.

Indazone
04-09-2009, 07:58 PM

There will be glass splinters all over the floor

21_Blessings
04-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Phil Jackson's co-author singing the praises of the Lakers. Be still my beating heart before I die of surprisism.

While true, his point still stands. Drew is clearly the better player.

j-money24
04-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Bynum needs to get more shots, he's only getting 10 shots this year.

If Bynum can stay healthy next year and get 15 shots a game, he'll be a ~20 point ~10 rebound ~3 block guy.

Not enough shots to go around on the Lakers so more likely, he'll go up to 12 shots and be around ~17 points.

theirs no way bynum will get 20 and 10 for a 3rd option.
thats what everyone said that bynum would be 20 and 10 this year and look what happened.
i promise u that bynum will not get 20 or 17 points a game if kobe and pau are still on the team.

peskypesky
04-09-2009, 09:27 PM

Gotta agree with you on that. Bynum has athleticism, agility and strength. Oden has....height?

tlongII
04-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Gotta agree with you on that. Bynum has athleticism, agility and strength. Oden has....height?

Oden is MUCH stronger than Bynum. There is no question about that. He just needs the refs to lay off of him a little bit. He's going to be great. Definitely better than Bynum.

21_Blessings
04-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Oden is MUCH stronger than Bynum. There is no question about that. He just needs the refs to lay off of him a little bit. He's going to be great. Definitely better than Bynum.

:lol

So much delusion.

Allanon
04-09-2009, 10:12 PM
theirs no way bynum will get 20 and 10 for a 3rd option.
thats what everyone said that bynum would be 20 and 10 this year and look what happened.
i promise u that bynum will not get 20 or 17 points a game if kobe and pau are still on the team.

I think it will be hard for Bynum to get 20 while playing with Kobe & Pau. But I think he can get his avg up to 17 if he can get 2 more shots per game.

Right now he's at 14 points on <10 shots. Give him 12 shots, and he should be able to get around 17.

21_Blessings
04-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Pau doesn't even average 20 and 10.

If Bynum was the number 1 option with a team built around him he'd be dropping 20/10ish just like Al Jefferson. But with more impact on the defensive end.

tlongII
04-09-2009, 11:41 PM
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs025.snc1/3114_78915951136_20214931136_1671200_1144507_n.jpg

HarlemHeat37
04-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Oden is stronger than Bynum, it isn't really debatable..

I don't think people actually watch Oden play..he's actually very impressive for a rookie coming off a major surgery..the main flaw he has is picking up bad fouls, which is a combination of 3 things..inexperience, bad perimeter defense strategy, and horrible officiating..

Oden gets called for the worst fouls you'll ever see..even as a Spurs fan, I'll tell you he got unfairly called for a double foul with Kurt Thomas, when it was clear that Oden didn't do anything..

he's probably the 2nd worst officiated player in the NBA next to Yao, maybe 1st..

Bynum is going to be good too, but he's in a much more favorable situation..he plays with a top 3 player in the NBA, Pau Gasol, and plays for a team that gets away with a lot with officials(not a knock on LA, it's just reputation..same with the Spurs in years past, and the current Celtics/Cavs)..

he's also a few years into his career, and learning from the greatest C of all-time..

it's way too early to judge Oden, and even Bynum..

monosylab1k
04-10-2009, 12:08 AM

Oden's rookie year >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bynum's rookie year

Allanon
04-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Hahah, found this quote today:

"I'm hoping that over the time that Bynum's been hurt that he's developed a jump shot and would prefer to shoot at 18 feet and not around the basket," Denver coach George Karl joked. "Maybe he would feel better without contact."

Bynum finished with 16 points, 7 rebounds in 21 minutes on 64% shooting. Bynum scored most of his points in the paint although he did make a free-throw line jumper for Karl.

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Karl really talks too much..he has some kind of obsession with LA..