PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Jazz Previews

duncan228
04-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Utah (47-31) at San Antonio (50-28) Preview (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview;_ylt=AvCAUsY0fbPd.l1v1.MNz5GezIx4?gid=2009 041024&prov=ap)
Game info: 8:30 pm EDT Fri Apr 10, 2009
TV: KJZZ, FSSW
By Dan Pieringer

For teams fighting for playoff position in the tightly packed Western Conference race, every loss is a significant one.

Though the Utah Jazz and San Antonio Spurs have both learned that lesson the hard way lately, the Spurs have to like their chances of getting back on track in their next game.

The Spurs go for their 20th straight home win over the Jazz on Friday night in a matchup of teams hoping to end their recent struggles and improve their standings for the postseason.

The playoff field in the West is set, and San Antonio (50-28) and Utah (47-31) have each clinched one of the eight spots. But there figures to be a lot of shuffling in the standings over the last six days of the regular season, and based on recent results, that doesn’t bode well for either club.

The Spurs have dropped four of their last six to put themselves in danger of letting home-court advantage in the first round slip away after holding the second-best record in the West for most of the season.

With four games left, they’re only three games ahead of eighth place and a first-round matchup with the Los Angeles Lakers, who have clinched the No. 1 seed.

Maintaining their current position could be tough with Manu Ginobili out for the rest of the season - including playoffs - with an ankle injury and Tim Duncan also hobbling. Duncan, bothered by aching knees since the All-Star break, was pulled with nearly eight minutes remaining in a 95-83 home loss to Portland on Wednesday night after he appeared stiff while awkwardly reaching for a loose ball.

“I didn’t like the way he moved on a loose ball, so I just pulled him,” said coach Gregg Popovich, who was playing Duncan on back-to-back nights for the first time since March 1-2. “He went tonight because he felt good. When I thought he didn’t, that’s when I decided to pull him.”

Tony Parker, the only fully healthy member of the Spurs’ trio of stars, isn’t focused on the team’s injury woes.

“People don’t realize Timmy’s been playing on one leg for like a month and a half,” Parker said. “We can’t pay attention to that. We just have to take a challenge and play harder.”

The Jazz haven’t posed much of a challenge to the Spurs in San Antonio over the last decade. They’ve dropped 19 straight road games against the Spurs by an average of 16.1 points since their last win in San Antonio on Feb. 28, 1999.

Utah doesn’t look prepared to end that streak, having dropped seven of its last nine on the road, where it’s 15-24 this season. The Jazz have also lost four of five overall after falling 130-101 at Dallas on Wednesday night.

“It was like they wanted it more, like the game meant more to them. It’s disappointing,” said point guard Deron Williams, who led Utah with 18 points and 12 assists but went 5-for-14 from the field.

That defeat dropped the Jazz into a tie with the Mavericks for seventh place in the conference with four games remaining on Utah’s schedule.

The Jazz lost their first game in San Antonio this season 119-94 in large part because Williams and star forward Carlos Boozer sat out with injuries. Boozer, averaging 14.9 points and 10.2 rebounds over his last 13 games, also missed a 106-100 home loss to San Antonio on Jan. 27.

Jazz swingman Ronnie Brewer had a team-high 23 points and went 8-for-11 from the field in that last meeting. He’s averaged 20.0 points and shot 62.5 percent (15-for-24) against the Spurs this season.

Notes

Jazz:

The Jazz have now lost four of five and dropped to 2-16 on the road against teams with winning records this season. ... Despite the loss, Utah was 6-of-13 from 3-point range.

Spurs:

The Spurs are 18-16 without Manu Ginobili in the lineup this season and 32-12 with him. ... The Spurs promoted G Marcus Williams from their D-League team in Austin and waived Malik Hairston before the game. Williams, a former Arizona standout, averaged a triple-double in three games last week for the Toros. ... Former Spurs great David Robinson watched his first game courtside since being elected to the Hall of Fame this week. The crowd treated him to an extended standing ovation.

Team Stat Leaders

Deron Williams Uta 19.2
Tony Parker SA 21.8

Rebounds

Carlos Boozer Uta 10.4
Tim Duncan SA 10.5

Assists

Deron Williams Uta 10.6
Tony Parker SA 6.9

Team Comparison
Team Record Standings PF PA Road/Home Streak L10

Utah 47-31 3rd Northwest / 7th West 103.4 100.5 Road 15-24 Lost 1 5-5

San Antonio 50-28 1st Southwest / 3rd West 96.8 93.4 Home 26-13 Lost 1 5-5

Bukefal
04-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Damn it people, we need this WINNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! :flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

We and more important the players should still stay positive, they must have motivation. We can help them, by supporting the team!!

GO SPURS GO!

Muser
04-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Is pop resting timmy?

sook
04-09-2009, 04:15 PM
The only time in history i will be rooting for the Utah Jazz. Sorry as much as i love the spurs :D

duncan228
04-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Jazz eye Ginobili-less Spurs (http://www.sltrib.com/jazz/ci_12097644)
By Ross Siler
The Salt Lake Tribune

Dallas » It has been 22 games and counting since they last won in San Antonio, but the Jazz couldn't help but look at the Spurs a little differently Tuesday with the news that Manu Ginobili will miss the rest of the season with a stress fracture in his right ankle.

The Jazz will look Friday to break their decade-long losing streak (dating to Feb. 28, 1999) in San Antonio -- they have never won at AT&T Center -- and went into Tuesday trailing the Spurs by only 21/2 games in the standings.

"They've got a veteran team that knows how to play and they know how to win, they've done it for years," Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said. "He's a great player and that certainly hurts their team, I'm sure, but they're a resilient team.

"If anybody could survive it, in my opinion, it would be them, because they've been such a competitive team, a solid team, they know how to win, they've played in the Finals, they've won the championship. Those guys know how to do it."

The Jazz did suffer their most one-sided loss of the season Nov. 21 in San Antonio, even with the Spurs missing Ginobili and Tony Parker . Roger Mason and George Hill combined for 52 points, with Mason hitting 7 of 10 three-pointers.

Asked if the Spurs were less feared, Deron Williams said: "A little bit, but they're still a good team. They've still got guys that can pick up where they left off. They've got a great system."

duncan228
04-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Is pop resting timmy?

Haven't heard anything. I'm watching for it.

crc21209
04-09-2009, 04:53 PM
We need this one BADLY. C'mon guys...:flag:

alchemist
04-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Parker and Tim is a must, after tomorrow I think Pop should rest both the next 2 games and finally play them against the Hornets, that should get them some rest.

Brazil
04-09-2009, 04:57 PM
The only time in history i will be rooting for the Utah Jazz. Sorry as much as i love the spurs :D

No hard feeling don't worry I root for every team playing Houston even if it's for the Lakers ! :)

duncan228
04-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Utah Jazz: Hail or no, Jazz try to end streak in San Antonio (http://www.sltrib.com/ci_12110165)
Basketball » Sloan hopes nature helps Utah end its poor record in San Antonio.
By Ross Siler
The Salt Lake Tribune

San Antonio » As much as the Jazz have struggled during their decade-long streak of futility in this city -- now 22 games and counting -- coach Jerry Sloan recognizes there's never a good time for a trip to play the Spurs.

That might go double right now, with the Jazz flatlining in their biggest game of the season Wednesday at Dallas, leaving Sloan to talk about the forces of nature that might be necessary for the Jazz to win in San Antonio tomorrow night.

"We haven't won in that building since they built it," Sloan said. "I don't know, maybe they'll have a hail storm or something; maybe we'll have to play somewhere else and let us have a chance to try to play them in the parking lot or something.

"I don't know how we'd respond, but maybe it'd be a little bit better than what we have played them."

With temperatures in the 90s on Thursday, hail is not in the forecast, leaving the Jazz to find a way to break the streak on their own. They are 0-15 all-time at AT&T Center and last won in San Antonio on Feb. 28, 1999, a Midwest Division game at the Alamodome.

The Jazz have dropped 19 consecutive regular-season games in San Antonio, plus three games in the 2007 Western Conference finals. They had an opportunity to end the streak Nov. 21 with Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker out but instead suffered a 119-94 loss.

"It's going to be in the back of your mind when you play," Deron Williams acknowledged, adding: "We've just got to find ways to win. Portland hadn't won in 11 trips, they go down there and win [Wednesday] night. We can do it. It can be done."

True enough, the Trail Blazers erased a 19-point deficit and came back to beat the Spurs 95-83 for their first win in San Antonio since 2002. The Spurs have suffered alarming recent losses to Cleveland and Oklahoma City.

Tim Duncan has battled sore knees for the second half of the season and had only four points and five rebounds on 2-for-8 shooting in the second game of a back-to-back set Wednesday. Ginobili is out for the season with a stress fracture in his ankle.

But the Jazz's greatest concerns are internal right now. They have played three must-win games on the road against Portland, Denver and Dallas in the last week and a half and lost by an average of 20 points in each.

"This isn't the first game where it seemed like we didn't have a lot of energy," Kyle Korver said after the Dallas loss. "We got beat to loose balls. It's unacceptable. I don't understand it. It's probably something we've got to address."

They were caught in the standings by the Mavericks and could find themselves in eighth place with a loss tomorrow night and a Dallas victory over New Orleans, staring at a potential first-round playoff series against the top-seeded L.A. Lakers.

The Jazz were at a loss to explain how they could suffer such a limp loss to the Mavericks only 72 hours after beating New Orleans 108-94 in their most impressive road victory to date.

"We played great defense the other day," Williams said. "We helped each other out, we shared the basketball, we made extra passes. I had fun, so we've just got to get back to doing that, get back to having fun. This is not fun, losing by 30."

With two home games remaining, the Jazz could take a large step in avoiding the No. 8 seed with a victory tomorrow night or Tuesday at Los Angeles. They hold tiebreakers against Dallas (conference record) and New Orleans (3-0 series sweep).

Records » Jazz 47-31, San Antonio 50-28

Last meeting » Jazz lost 106-100 (Jan. 27)

Lin »: Spurs by 4.5

About the Jazz » The Jazz couldn't have asked for a better opportunity to end their decade-long losing streak in San Antonio than their Nov. 21 game against the Spurs. Playing without Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, the Spurs still hit 15 three-pointers on the way to a 119-94 victory. Roger Mason had 29 points and seven three-pointers.

About the Spurs » The Spurs have reached the playoffs for 12 consecutive seasons, the longest active streak in the NBA. Their streak of 10 consecutive 50-win seasons is third-longest in NBA history. Tony Parker has averaged 24.5 points and 7.6 assists in 26 games with Manu Ginobili out this season. Tim Duncan has battled sore knees the second half of the season, but still averaged 16.4 points and 9.7 rebounds since the All-Star break.

duncan228
04-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Friday: Jazz (47-31) at Spurs (50-28) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Friday_Jazz_47-31_at_Spurs_50-28.html)
Express-News

Time: 7:30 p.m.
TV: FSNSW
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS
POS - SPURS - JAZZ

PG - 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 8th yr) - 8 Deron Williams (6-3, 4th yr)
Williams ranks second in the NBA in assists at 10.6 per game.

SG - 8 Roger Mason Jr. (6-5, 5th yr) - 9 Ronnie Brewer (6-7, 3rd yr)
With Ginobili out, Mason due more scoring opportunities.

SF - 4 Michael Finley (6-7, 14th yr) - 47 Andrei Kirilenko (6-9, 8th yr)
Kirilenko's length and athleticism makes for a tough matchup.

PF - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 12th yr) - 5 Carlos Boozer (6-9, 8th yr)
Duncan has scored in single digits twice in three games.

C - 15 Matt Bonner (6-10, 5th yr) - 13 Mehmet Okur (6-11, 7th yr)
Like Bonner, Okur a big who will wander to the 3-point line.

SPURS RESERVES

12 Bruce Bowen, F, 6-7, 13th yr
90 Drew Gooden, F, 6-10, 8th yr
3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 1st yr
40 Kurt Thomas, C/F, 6-9, 14th yr
5 Ime Udoka, G/F, 6-5, 5th yr
11 Jacque Vaughn, G, 6-1, 12th yr
2 Marcus Williams, G, 6-7, 2nd yr

JAZZ RESERVES

31 Jarron Collins, F, 6-11, 8th yr
15 Matt Harpring, F, 6-7, 11th yr
2 Brevin Knight, G, 5-10, 12th yr
26 Kyle Korver, G/F, 6-7, 7th yr
41 Kosta Koufos, C, 7-0, 1st yr
24 Paul Millsap, F, 6-8, 3rd yr
17 Ronnie Price, G, 6-2, 4th yr

COACHES

Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Jazz: Jerry Sloan

INJURIES

Spurs: Manu Ginobili (stress fracture, right fibula) is out. Duncan (tendonosis, right knee) is day-to-day.

Jazz: C.J. Miles (dislocated left index finger) is out.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Ginobili, Ian Mahinmi, Fabricio Oberto

Jazz: Miles, Morris Almond, Kyrylo Fesenko

NOTABLE

Both teams, still jockeying for playoff seeding, come into the game after disappointing losses Wednesday. The Spurs blew a 19-point lead and lost to Portland 95-83; the Jazz were blown out in Dallas 130-101. ... the Spurs lead season series with the Jazz 2-0. ... the Spurs are one of three franchises in NBA history to post 10-straight 50-win seasons. Boston and the Lakers are the others.

- Jeff McDonald

NewJerSpur
04-09-2009, 09:41 PM

Just pray the Jazz don't find some way to meet you in the 1st or else you'll break into a cold sweat because you know even as bad of a road team as they proven to be (and getting worse each season as the idea takes over the team's collective psychi) they'll find SOME way to deny you 2nd round access once again. :lol

Time to get back at it.

duncan228
04-10-2009, 02:08 AM
Utah Jazz: Alamo older than Jazz losing streak (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705296380/Utah-Jazz-Alamo-older-than-Jazz-losing-streak.html)
By Tim Buckley

SAN ANTONIO — The Jazz have lost 22 straight games in San Antonio, where the only thing that dates older than their last victory here may very well be the Alamo itself.

That includes 19 regular-season games, and another three from the 2007 NBA Western Conference finals.

Fifteen of the 22 have come at the Spurs' current home, AT&T Center.

"We haven't won in that building since they built it," said Jazz coach Jerry Sloan, whose club pays its second and final visit of the regular season to San Antonio when it closes out a three-game trip tonight.

"I don't know," Sloan added. "Maybe they'll have a hailstorm or something. Maybe we'll have to play somewhere else, and let us have a chance to play them in the parking lot or something."

Not that even that would matter much based on their first game here this season, a 25-point loss — Utah's worst of the season until it fell by 29 at Dallas on Wednesday night — to a Spurs club that at the time was missing both point guard Tony Parker and out-again shooting guard Manu Ginobili.

"I don't know how we'd respond," Sloan said of his imaginary outdoor game, "but maybe we'd be a little better than what we have played 'em."

Utah's last victory here, for the record, came Feb, 28, 1999 — when Karl Malone scored 30.

Jazz point guard Deron Williams, for one, does not need to be reminded of that.

"It's always tough," he said. "It's going to be in the back of your mind when you play.

"We've just got to find ways to win," Williams added. "Portland hadn't won in 11 trips; they go down there and win (Wednesday) night. So, you know, we can do it. It can be done."

HE SAID IT: Williams, contrasting Sunday's win at New Orleans with Wednesday's 130-101 loss at Dallas: "We played great defense the other day. We were helping each other. We shared the basketball. We made extra passes. I had fun. You know, we've just got to back to that. Back to having fun. This is not fun — losing by 30."

INJURY UPDATE: Small forward C.J. Miles (dislocated left index finger, shooting hand) has missed two straight games.

The Jazz continue to call him "doubtful" for tonight.

Backup Andrei Kirilenko has averaged 16.5 points, 4.0 rebounds and 32.5 minutes starting the last two games in Miles' place.

NOTES: This ends a three-game trip for the Jazz, who have dropped 4-of-5 ... San Antonio fell Wednesday to Portland and has lost 4-of-6 ... The Spurs are just the third NBA team (along with the L.A. Lakers and Boston) with 50 or more victories in at least 10 consecutive seasons ... San Antonio shooting guard Manu Ginobili (ankle) is out ... The Spurs have won 19 straight home games against Utah.

duncan228
04-10-2009, 02:12 AM
Utah Jazz lack of energy puzzling (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705296374/Jazz-lack-of-energy-puzzling.html)
By Tim Buckley

SAN ANTONIO — Lately they've looked drained, physically and mentally.

So after they lost for the fourth time in their last five games, and for a fourth time during that span in rather inexplicably disinterested fashion, coach Jerry Sloan rather pointedly questioned the focus of his tail-spinning Jazz.

And the mindset.

And — to a degree, for all practical purposes, though not dropping the actual word — the heart.

"That's something I certainly wonder about: What we're doing with ourselves to try to be ready to play," Sloan said when asked how the Jazz could play so well in last Sunday's victory at New Orleans, only to have so much go so wrong in Wednesday night's 130-101 loss at Dallas.

"I've been around guys a long time in this league, and the guys that are good all the time — they prepare themselves," he added. "They're ready to go. And we haven't had that on the road. It's really very disappointing."

The 47-31 Jazz's road woes this season have been about as well-chronicled as can be.

But, to review:

With just four regular-season games still to be played — two away from home, including tonight's visit with postseason-bound San Antonio — they're 15-24 when not playing at EnergySolutions Arena.

That means this is a fourth straight season in which the Jazz, who are 32-7 at home this season, have lost anywhere from 15 to 20 on the road.

They're also 1-10 against the other seven playoff-qualified NBA Western Conference clubs, with the possibility for finishing 1-12 — Utah closes its season Tuesday night against the Lakers in Los Angeles, after a pair at home against Golden State on Saturday night and the Los Angeles Clippers on Monday night — quite realistic.

It's all rather baffling to Sloan, who felt the energy level of the Mavericks by far trumped that of the Jazz.

"I don't follow 'em around," he said, "but we had a lot of guys just very low on energy.

"They came at us," the Jazz coach said. "They saw it was a big game, and I just thought we looked like we saw it as just another trip to the arena."

Even more dispiriting for Sloan was that Utah squandered yet another opportunity to rise in the standings, just like they did with key Northwest Division losses at Portland and Denver last week — not to mention Friday night's home-court upset at the hands of Minnesota.

Moreover, the Jazz put themselves in a position for a possible death-sentence matchup — sans unanticipated pardon, the way they're playing now — in the form of a first-round playoff series with the top-seeded Lakers.

Utah would own the two-team tie-breaker with the team it currently has tied for seventh in the West, Dallas. And Dallas and New Orleans — the two clubs closest to the Jazz in the standings — do play each other twice starting tonight.

Still, Sloan's crew arguably could have been so much better off with just a little more energy, effort and interest in recent outings.

"I don't know what's realistic as far as moving up," point guard Deron Williams said.

"We've got our work cut out for us," he added. "We put ourselves in a bad position this last week-and-a-half."

None of which makes any sense to Sloan, as now is the time that the Jazz — injury-riddled for much of the season — finally have had most of their lineup healthy and available.

That includes eight of nine rotation regulars, with starting shooting guard C.J. Miles (dislocated finger) being the lone exception.

"That's where I thought we'd come with a lot more energy — because we've got everybody back," he said.

Yet, Sloan hastened to add, "we haven't shown the same kind of desire to play that you would expect."

Desire, it can be debated, translates at least loosely to heart.

Then there is the question of head.

Asked how much of the Jazz's troubles of late may be mental, Sloan said, "That's what this game about, is mentally how do you stand up to it? It didn't seem like we did (in Dallas)."

That's a matter of toughness, which — as well as the head — can also be traced to the one organ that has its own holiday in February.

Perhaps that is why when it was suggested after Wednesday's loss that perhaps the Jazz simply are content to have qualified already for the postseason — their third straight trip, and 23rd in 26 seasons — the notion was not entirely refuted.

"I hope that's not the case," Sloan said, "but I can't answer that for you."

duncan228
04-10-2009, 02:24 AM
Mystery Jazz face Spurs on the road (http://www.standard.net/live/news/169487/)
By Jim Burton

Which team will show?

With just four games left in the regular season, that seems to be the question on the minds of Jazz coach Jerry Sloan, his players and, of course, Jazz fans everywhere.

Which team will take the floor tonight when Utah (47-31) visits the San Antonio Spurs (50-28)?

Will it be the group that struck so quickly last Sunday, full arsenal blazing, in a rout of the New Orleans Hornets? Or will it be the team that came out Wednesday night in Dallas, and was waxed by 29 points?

Going into tonight's contest, Utah's road record is a paltry 15-25, the worst such mark among the eight playoff-bound teams in the Western Conference.

Before beating the Hornets in New Orleans, the Jazz had dropped six of seven road games. When they jumped ahead by 30 points in the first half, it certainly seemed as though the team had made some sort of a breakthrough.

However, judging by the way the Jazz played Wednesday in Dallas, it was more fluke than breakthrough.

In losing 130-101, the Jazz gave up sole possession of the No. 7 spot in the West's playoff picture. Dallas not only clinched a playoff spot, it moved into a tie with Utah.

"I thought our energy level would be higher than that," coach Jerry Sloan said. "But we really weren't able to put up much of a fight for them.

"They certainly deserved to win, because we weren't any contest for them."

Now it all comes down to the last four games of the season.

The Jazz play at San Antonio tonight, then travel home for games with Golden State on Saturday and the L.A. Clippers on Monday.

They end the regular-season next Tuesday, on the road, against the conference-leading L.A. Lakers.

Dallas plays at home against New Orleans tonight, before traveling to New Orleans with the Hornets on Sunday.

After that, it's back to Dallas for games against Minnesota and Houston.

Whichever team ends up in eighth place when the regular season ends will have to take on the high-flying Lakers in the first round of the playoffs.

"It seemed like they wanted it more," point guard Deron Williams said after Wednesday's game. "The game meant more to them, which is unacceptable -- because this was a big game for us as well."

If the Jazz are to bounce back, they've got a difficult task ahead. They haven't won in San Antonio since Feb. 28, 1999, and have never won at the AT&T Center.

The Spurs, who currently own the West's No. 3 seed, are 26-13 at home this season.

Their more recent home loss came Wednesday night against Portland.

San Antonio will play without guard Manu Ginobili, who is out for the rest of the regular season and playoffs with a stress fracture in his right ankle.

He had been averaging better than 15 points, four rebounds and three assists this season.

Bruno
04-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks for all the articles, duncan228. :tu

Girasuck
04-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Spurs by 22. I'm not even watching tonight.

Texas_Ranger
04-10-2009, 10:21 AM
we'll outscore them by 15 in the 1Q. on the end we'll lose by 20.

shelshor
04-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Referee Assignments
Fri. Apr. 10
Utah @ San Antonio: J. Crawford, D. Collins, E. Lewis

Spurs Brazil
04-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Referee Assignments
Fri. Apr. 10
Utah @ San Antonio: J. Crawford, D. Collins, E. Lewis

Two bad knees and J.Crawford :depressed

anonoftheinternets
04-10-2009, 11:04 AM
i think this would be a win ........ jazz on the road sucks. Last time we ran out of gas in the 2nd half, duncan on a b2b. He should be better this time around.

duncan228
04-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Spurs shoot for 20th straight home win over Utah (http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/news/news.aspx?id=4225440)

(Sports Network) - A pair of Western Conference contenders jockey for playoff position tonight when the San Antonio Spurs play host to the Utah Jazz.

The Spurs, who trail Houston by one-half game in the Southwest Division with four to play, will be shooting for their 20th consecutive home win over Utah.

San Antonio is coming off a tough loss to Portland on Wednesday when Brandon Roy scored 26 points and the Blazers rallied from a 19-point deficit in the first half for a 95-83 win over the Spurs in the Alamo City.

Tim Duncan played nearly 24 minutes, but was a non-factor down the stretch as Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich decided to rest the star forward's aching knees. Duncan had just four points.

Roger Mason scored 18 and Tony Parker added 17 for San Antonio, which lost for the fourth time in six games and is now tied with Portland with the fourth spot in the West.

The Jazz, meanwhile, are coming off a terrible loss in Dallas on Wednesday when Dirk Nowitzki finished with 31 points and seven rebounds, as the Mavericks clinched the final playoff spot in the West with a 130-101 drubbing of Utah.

Deron Williams had 18 points and 12 assists to pace Utah, which has lost four of five and are tied with the Mavs for the seventh seed in the West. Andrei Kirilenko and Ronnie Brewer ended with 17 and 16 points, respectively.

duncan228
04-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Two bad knees and J.Crawford :depressed

:vomit:

Indazone
04-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Spurs win this at home. Jazz are a terrible road team.

crc21209
04-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Joey fucking Crawford are you kidding me?!?

TDMVPDPOY
04-10-2009, 12:55 PM
jizz ftw

ElNono
04-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Why is that guy still refereeing in this league, and specifically our games?

tlongII
04-10-2009, 01:22 PM
I can't see San Antonio winning this if Duncan is as hobbled as he was against us. DWill will shut down Parker.

Morg1411
04-10-2009, 01:29 PM
I may not even watch since Crawford is on hand. They might as well telephone Utah the win and save everyone the frustration with that cocksucker calling things.

duncan228
04-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Jazz: Sloan misses shootaround in San Antonio (http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_12116171)
By Ross Siler
The Salt Lake Tribune

San Antonio » As much as they will be looking Friday night to end their 22-game losing streak to the Spurs in San Antonio, the Jazz also will be trying to forget about Wednesday's 29-point loss to Dallas.

The Jazz will finish their three-game trip against the Spurs and need a victory to possibly avoid falling into eighth place in the Western Conference standings with three games to play, should Dallas beat New Orleans on Friday.

Jazz coach Jerry Sloan stayed back at the hotel sick from Friday's pregame shootaround. He complained of exhaustion Tuesday in Dallas and has spent nearly two weeks on the road, leaving the team last weekend for the funeral of his older brother in Illinois.

C.J. Miles will miss his third consecutive game with a dislocated left index finger, with Andrei Kirilenko starting in his place. Although Sloan has considered starting Paul Millsap, assistant coach Phil Johnson said Carlos Boozer would likely continue to start.

Johnson also offered his own explanation for how the Jazz could turn around 72 hours after beating New Orleans for their best road victory of the season and suffer such a collapse against the Mavericks.

"I attribute it a lot to being a young team that maybe loses their concentration a little bit," Johnson said. "I don't know. I don't have answers for it. It's a different team, too. Dallas played well against us. New Orleans didn't play particularly well against us."

The Spurs are coming off a loss Wednesday to Portland and are fighting with Houston and the Trail Blazers for a top-four seed. There have been renewed questions about the health of Tim Duncan, who has battled sore knees the second half of the season.

"I'm sure they're not in a great mood after getting beat the other night," Johnson said. "We'll see what we can do. We've got to come back and play better than we did the other night, that's all I know.

"Defensively, we weren't very good. We didn't meet the challenge the other night, so we'll see what we've got."

41times
04-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Good luck tonight against the Jizz.

We are sure pulling for you up here in Dallas.

crc21209
04-10-2009, 05:33 PM
I can't see San Antonio winning this if Duncan is as hobbled as he was against us. DWill will shut down Parker.

Once again, nothing good to say. EVER. In the dictionary under the word negativity is a picture of tlong. :ihit.

crc21209
04-10-2009, 05:35 PM
BIG games tonight. We need a W badly though. Hopefully the guys can pull one out. Also tonight on the schedule:

Lakers at Blazers...can't believe I'm going to say this but...Go Lakers! :lol

Rockets at Warriors...Go Warriors!

Hornets at Mavs...once again, can't believe I'm saying this but..Go Mavs!

de Soto
04-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Jazz by 15-18 pts. Spurs are done this year.

completely deck
04-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Jazz by 15-18 pts. Spurs are done this year.

why cant your posting be done forever

balli
04-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Given the situation with Timmy's knees I'd normally say that Utah could beat you, but the Jazz have this kind of bad habit of just flat out refusing to show up for games or play any form of defense whatsoever. So right now I don't really care if the Jazz are playing the Spurs or the Thunder. Either way, I like the opposition's chances. SA 162, UT 94

duncan228
04-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Spurs vs. Jazz game chat (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/spursworld/2009/04/spurs-vs-jazz-game-chat-1.html)
By Joe Alexander

The Spurs play the Utah Jazz tonight at 7:30 at the AT&T Center. Join Jeff McDonald and Mike Monroe of the Express-News for a live chat beginning at 7 p.m.

As of the Spurs' shootaround this morning, Tim Duncan will play tonight - Read Jeff McDonald's report on Tim Duncan (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/04/duncan-will-pla.html)

Here's the latest on the Jazz:

Tim Buckley, Deseret News
Starting small forward C.J. Miles will miss a third straight game when the Jazz visit San Antonio tonight. Andrei Kirilenko again will start in his place.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705296425/Utah-Jazz-AK-to-start-again-tonight-vs-Spurs.html

Ross Siler, Salt Lake Tribune
Jazz coach Jerry Sloan stayed back at the hotel sick from Friday's pregame shootaround. He complained of exhaustion Tuesday in Dallas and has spent nearly two weeks on the road, leaving the team last weekend for the funeral of his older brother in Illinois.
http://www.sltrib.com/jazz/ci_12116171

Summers
04-10-2009, 07:04 PM
de Soto
Banned

:tu

duncan228
04-10-2009, 07:10 PM
More on Duncan and his knees (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/04/more-on-duncan.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Sometimes news travels slowly here at Spurs Central. Talked to a Spurs staffer before tonight's game against Utah.

He said Tim Duncan banged knees with another player during the win at Oklahoma City on Tuesday night, which is part of the reason Duncan played so gingerly the next night against Portland.

Duncan, apparently, is feeling pretty good, and might ditch the knee pads tonight. We shall see.