PDA

View Full Version : Are the Suns the best 9-seed ever?

Xylus
04-09-2009, 04:39 PM
We all know the Phoenix Suns won the ratings championship of the last few years (so says da_suns_fan), but are they NBA history's 9-Seed Champions as well?

Jerry Colangelo must be so proud.

Findog
04-09-2009, 04:42 PM
How many games are they gonna end up winning? The Warriors missed out last year with 48.

Pelicans78
Last year's Golden State team.

sook
tough call

Findog
04-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Best Phoenix can do is 47-35, and the West is not as good this year, so I say no.

Xylus
04-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Golden State had more wins, true, but I don't think they were better than this current Suns team under Gentry.

Keep in mind that the first 50 games of this season were marred by Terry Porter.

Chris
04-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Findog
04-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Golden State had more wins, true, but I don't think they were better than this current Suns team under Gentry.

Keep in mind that the first 50 games of this season were marred by Terry Porter.

More talented? Sure. Better team? Not so much. If you can't harness talent into a cohesive product on the floor, then that talent goes for naught. West was easier this year too. Three of the top four teams in the league reside East, and the worst teams in the League are East-heavy. The West occupies the middle layer.

pauls931
04-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Not with the effort they put forth in several key games. They lost several games that they should have pulled off.

At Utah, blew the end
Sacramento
Had Cleveland at home on the ropes, coughed it up
Dallas at Pho, should've got that one

If they could've won 2 of the above games, they might of had a shot. I'm sure there's another recent game the blew that's slipping my mind.

Xylus
04-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Whiskey helps me sleep at night. This topic actually has the opposite effect.

jag
04-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Considering they have Amare on the bench. Yes.

I dont remember seeing a 9th seed as stacked as this. That being said, they're probably the biggest underachieving team this past decade.

BUMP
04-09-2009, 05:10 PM
ive been kind of thinking about this.

not necessarily the best, but i cant remember another 9th seeded being talked about so much during the year.

they've had more publicity than Houston, Portland, Dallas, Denver, and New Orleans combined

probably the most famous ever

pauls931
04-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Considering they have Amare on the bench. Yes.

I dont remember seeing a 9th seed as stacked as this. That being said, they're probably the biggest underachieving team this past decade.

You need to change your avatar from Tom Brady before posting a comment like that. :nope

Mark Jackson
04-09-2009, 05:14 PM
At the end of the day if your the Suns you have to look at yourselves and wonder if we are really looking towards publicity or are we looking to win championships.

Amare Stoudemire out for the season getting poked in the eye? Gimme a break. Who do you think you are? Evander Holyfield? This is a grown man's game fellas.

The bottom line, the sun has set in Phoenix.

sonic21
04-09-2009, 05:16 PM
bobcats > suns

jag
04-09-2009, 05:17 PM
You need to change your avatar from Tom Brady before posting a comment like that. :nope

:lmao

19-1

jag
04-09-2009, 05:18 PM
At the end of the day if your the Suns you have to look at yourselves and wonder if we are really looking towards publicity or are we looking to win championships.

Amare Stoudemire out for the season getting poked in the eye? Gimme a break. Who do you think you are? Evander Holyfield? This is a grown man's game fellas.

The bottom line, the sun has set in Phoenix.

:lol this is good

pauls931
04-09-2009, 05:35 PM
:lmao

19-1

The dolphins think that's a good record too.:p:

Darrin
04-09-2009, 05:54 PM
We all know the Phoenix Suns won the ratings championship of the last few years (so says da_suns_fan), but are they NBA history's 9-Seed Champions as well?

No. They've had moments of lax defense and they can be stopped. I think last year's Golden State team was the best of all-time. The West has offered some great 9 seeds this decade: 2000 Mavericks, 2001 Rockets and Sonics, 2003 Rockets, 2004 Blazers, 2005 Timberwolves, 2008 Warriors, and 2009 Suns.

Bob Lanier
04-09-2009, 06:21 PM
The Bobcats are better.

j-money24
04-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Baron davis, Monta ellis and Stephon jackson are much better than a 37 year old Shaq, 35 year old Nash and no defense Amare.

Tmac&Luther
04-09-2009, 08:40 PM
This thread is like asking "who's the prettiest fat girl".

peskypesky
04-09-2009, 08:59 PM

Jennifer Hudson?

http://z723la.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pRQ8Xqn29ip7fZ4--y9_JzwYp3UWdDYZfM62YoFRYMB5NTj0Z53nvP_XNblabBY7LBU G90IOgXz_VmRPydmXfce1abTpfXxR7/jennifer-hudson.jpg

JamStone
04-09-2009, 09:02 PM

Under Terry Porter: 28-23 (.549)
Under Gentry: 15-12 (.556)

Not like Gentry has made a substantial improvement on the team winning games. Plus, while their offense flows better, their defense is exponentially worse. They give up 125 points like opponents are doing lay-up lines.

Chieflion
04-09-2009, 09:05 PM
2008 Golden State Warriors are better.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-09-2009, 11:30 PM
It depends on whether you include Amare on the roster

PG - Steve "I feel like Kidd's wife after his beating" Nash
SG - J-Bitch
SF - Grant "No one else cares" Hill
PF - Amare "gorilla bitch" Tardemire
C - Shaquille "The Nash lovers hate me cause I'm not an emo fag like Marion" O'neal

Seems pretty stacked.

lefty
04-10-2009, 12:19 AM

:rollin

Xylus
04-10-2009, 01:32 AM
LOL @ the 35-43 Bobcats being better than the Suns right now. The Suns would be the 5th seed if they played in the East, or better since they'd play the Eastern Conference teams more than the West. Give me a break. :lol

Under Terry Porter: 28-23 (.549)
Under Gentry: 15-12 (.556)

Not like Gentry has made a substantial improvement on the team winning games. Plus, while their offense flows better, their defense is exponentially worse. They give up 125 points like opponents are doing lay-up lines.

Porter had a full roster at his disposal and didn't know how to best utilize what he had, while Gentry has created an extremely potent offense without two of his most explosive scorers. Amare and Barbosa have been out with injury for most of Gentry's tenure. Anyone who's watched the Suns recently would say they're better under Gentry, regardless of how bad the defense is sometimes. It's like night and day.

Xylus
04-10-2009, 01:33 AM

What do you have against fat girls, huh?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-10-2009, 01:41 AM
It's not Porter's fault the players hated him from the get-go. It's what you get when a bunch of fans blindly support a player and put pressure on the GM to keep the player happy at all costs.

The Suns were 11-5 under Porter when Nash decided to say he wasn't having enough fun and that he wanted to have more fun. The fans quickly backlash against Porter for no reason and go into "Poor Widdle Stevie" mode and the season quickly falls apart once more than half the locker room decides having fun is more important than listening to the coach.

When a GM enables a player to have more power in the locker room than the coach, bad things will always happens. That's the case with the Suns right now.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-10-2009, 01:44 AM
Gentry has created an extremely potent offense without two of his most explosive scorers.

Congrates to Gentry, he's figured out a system which enables his team to run up the score against the Clippers, Wizards, Thunder and Kings. GENIUS!!!!

Ghazi
04-10-2009, 01:45 AM
Steve Nash is a great player and a first ballot hall of famer :smokin

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-10-2009, 01:47 AM
Steve Nash is a great player and a first ballot hall of famer :smokin

That makes sense because a little sissy cuckold fairy like you would like an emo-bitch player who decided to bitch and moan like a baby rather than just do what he agreed to do (play basketball for the team paying him) after his gay lover got traded to Charlotte.

Ghazi
04-10-2009, 01:52 AM
Great fucking player, and should've been an NBA Champion in 2003 if Dirk didn't get hurt. :smokin

Xylus
04-10-2009, 01:55 AM
Congrates to Gentry, he's figured out a system which enables his team to run up the score against the Clippers, Wizards, Thunder and Kings. GENIUS!!!!

He took over a team in turmoil 2/3 of the way into the season, a team anchored by three ancient players (Nash, Hill, and O'Neal) with Matt Fucking Barnes playing the 4-spot. The Suns have beaten the Jazz, Nuggets, Rockets, and Hornets in the last two weeks and change, proving they can beat winning teams.

DOK, for someone who calls himself a Suns fan, there are very few members on this board who dislike the Phoenix Suns more than you do. Maybe you should give basketball a break, or pick a new team already.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-10-2009, 02:02 AM
DOK, for someone who calls himself a Suns fan, there are very few members on this board who dislike the Phoenix Suns more than you do. Maybe you should give basketball a break, or pick a new team already.

Disliking the Suns and disliking the players on the Suns are two completely different things. I'm not saying Porter is a good coach, I'm saying we'll never know what kind of coach he is because he never had players who listened to him.

It's not like I'm constantly criticizing a 60 win team, I'm criticizing a team that sucks and has absolutely no future, forgive me for being a little pissed off about it.

And it's not like I hate every player. There are plenty of players on this team that I will miss (Hill, Shaq) once they're gone.

Ghazi
04-10-2009, 02:05 AM
How can you hate the two time MVP :D

It happens to the best of us. Every franchise has a peak and a decline.

The Timberwolves were solid for a few years and went into the shitter.

Mavs/Spurs/Pistons have experienced declines this year (Mavs last as well) despite being Top 5-6 teams in the league for a good portion of the decade.

Those Nets teams, those Kings teams, it happens.

You just gotta look back, and remember the good times. I'm sad about the Mavs decline myself, but I'm not mad a the players. They gave us Mavs fans the joy ride of a 2006 NBA Championship,. We may have no immediate future, but we do have a past. which is more than some teams can say.

Conclusions: fucking great player :smokin

Xylus
04-10-2009, 02:13 AM
Disliking the Suns and disliking the players on the Suns are two completely different things. I'm not saying Porter is a good coach, I'm saying we'll never know what kind of coach he is because he never had players who listened to him.

It's not like I'm constantly criticizing a 60 win team, I'm criticizing a team that sucks and has absolutely no future, forgive me for being a little pissed off about it.

And it's not like I hate every player. There are plenty of players on this team that I will miss (Hill, Shaq) once they're gone.

Okay, then why hate on Gentry? It's difficult for an interim coach to have a lot of success so late in the season. Porter might be a good coach, but he's a horrible fit for this team. He tried to stuff a roster of square pegs into round holes and rightfully got fired for it. Reports are that he wasn't a very good leader, wasn't respected by the players, and was a large reason why the locker room atmosphere was so toxic. Under Porter, it was like watching the Suns play in a graveyard.

Tmac&Luther
04-10-2009, 02:49 AM
What do you have against fat girls, huh?

nothing...

By fat I mean morbidly obese.....I actually like Jennifer Hudson. I have nothing against a thick chick, when I say fat.....I mean FAT.

Bob Lanier
04-10-2009, 03:29 AM
How fat are you, yourself?

BRHornet45
04-10-2009, 03:36 AM
sons even though last night they gave us the dick with no lube .... I must say HELL to the MOTHA FUCKING NO

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Okay, then why hate on Gentry? It's difficult for an interim coach to have a lot of success so late in the season. Porter might be a good coach, but he's a horrible fit for this team. He tried to stuff a roster of square pegs into round holes and rightfully got fired for it. Reports are that he wasn't a very good leader, wasn't respected by the players, and was a large reason why the locker room atmosphere was so toxic. Under Porter, it was like watching the Suns play in a graveyard.

I guess my hatred towards Gentry is unwarranted, it's more my hatred towards the crud basketball I'm watching and the veteran players on this team that have been acting like 5 year olds all season. That coupled with the GM that has acted like the crappy parent who decides to give the 5 year old whatever he wants just to make him stop crying rather than ignoring the 5 year old's temper tantrum so he eventually thinks crying won't get him shit.

So yeah Gentry does fit this group better and in the short term it was undoubtedly beneficial to hire him, but was it really smart to send the players the message that if you complain enough about a coach that makes you play defense we'll fire him and hire a coach who won't hold you accountable for shit D?

I'm not pissed about the Porter Gentry change because of some weird opinion I have that Porter > Gentry. Gentry is, when you factor in everything, a better coach than Porter. Porter's defensive scheme and half court offensive scheme blew complete dick and were easily scored on/defended. Gentry's D is horrible but not a whole lot worse than Porter's.

I'm pissed about the change because I think it only perpetuates the "Having fun is more important than doing what the coach tells you to do" mentality. If Porter is still coach, they still would be missing the playoff's regardless, and yeah it would have been PAINFUL to watch for the rest of the season, but at that point the players would have started to play defense and started to play within the offense knowing that whining about it will get them nowhere.

pauls931
04-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Again, their lack of effort and execution at the end keeps me from even considering then a best 9th seed of all time. And let me guess without going back, dok has about 10 nash sucks posts...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-10-2009, 09:22 AM
dok has about 10 nash sucks posts...

After that Dallas game I sure as hell don't have 10 Nash 4 MVP!!! posts.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-10-2009, 09:29 AM
How can you hate the two time MVP :D

It happens to the best of us. Every franchise has a peak and a decline.

The Timberwolves were solid for a few years and went into the shitter.

Mavs/Spurs/Pistons have experienced declines this year (Mavs last as well) despite being Top 5-6 teams in the league for a good portion of the decade.

Those Nets teams, those Kings teams, it happens.

You just gotta look back, and remember the good times. I'm sad about the Mavs decline myself, but I'm not mad a the players. They gave us Mavs fans the joy ride of a 2006 NBA Championship,. We may have no immediate future, but we do have a past. which is more than some teams can say.

Conclusions: fucking great player :smokin

In sports, the question is "what have you done for me lately?"

Nash has done nothing significant the past two seasons. His season in 2006 and 2007 means shit compared to 2008 and 2009.

And whether or not Nash is a great player, he's made it pretty clear he doesn't have the hunger for a championship the best player on a championship team needs.

it's me
04-10-2009, 11:41 AM

Hell no, they are now in the position they belong to….. what’s the point of making it to the play offs if you get you ass kicked by the Spurs every time…. Now that the Spurs are banged… they don’t even get the 8 seed :lmao that’s hilarious.

pauls931
04-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Hell no, they are now in the position they belong to….. what’s the point of making it to the play offs if you get you ass kicked by the Spurs every time…. Now that the Spurs are banged… they don’t even get the 8 seed :lmao that’s hilarious.

Other than pride, what are the financial awards to a franchise for winning the title? More games played? I sometimes wonder if some franchise owners are perfectly happy with getting to the second round of the playoffs... In phoenix's case they get booted in the first round, then all hell breaks loose.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Other than pride, what are the financial awards to a franchise for winning the title? More games played? I sometimes wonder if some franchise owners are perfectly happy with getting to the second round of the playoffs... In phoenix's case they get booted in the first round, then all hell breaks loose.

Some owners maybe but I still think winning a title does so much for the franchise's publicity and image that it makes them more money than being a 3-7 seed every year.

pauls931
04-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Some owners maybe but I still think winning a title does so much for the franchise's publicity and image that it makes them more money than being a 3-7 seed every year.

Good point, probably sponsorship, jersey sales and so forth.