PDA

View Full Version : Will this offseason be different?

montgod
04-09-2009, 09:01 PM
This thread isn't to say that I am giving up on the playoffs, but more so looking towards what will happen next year. I am hopeful that the Spurs will flip the "switch" and turn it on for the playoffs! However, this season, more than most have caused fans to pause and ponder the future of this successful franchise.

With the thoughts of the window continuing to shrink regarding how much longer Tim Duncan can play, will the Spurs shed their ever frugal image and break the bank to give it one last go? Of course, they have always taken care of their superstar players like Tim, Manu, Tony, etc. but have always strived to be luxury-tax free in surrounding these three players with affordable, past-their-prime players. This was a successful strategy, but as the cast members have become older along with their superstars, one must think that in order for a last hurrah, something has to change.

Do you think that the Spurs will go over the luxury-tax threshold to do this and try and utililize Tim Duncan's few remaining years with some players who can help allow him to have a secondary role like David Robinson assumed in his last few years? Tony has taken a huge step up to assume the main scorer role, but he will definitely need help as seen through this season. Manu doesn't seem to be a reliable source with his back-to-back years of ankle injuries. Projects like Ian M., Gist, Williams, and Hairston can't be looked at as the answer either. We can only assume that Finley, Vaughn, Idoka and Oberto will be gone as well.

This offseason will be key in seeing what the Spurs do. Business as usual... or time to break the Spurs mold and upgrade it no matter the cost? I personally feel they will do a little of both. I can easily see them trading for some big name players who aren't too past their prime enough to come in and get the job done. Will it possibly hinder their future cap space? I believe it will, but for a chance at another title, it will be worth it.

ducks
04-09-2009, 09:09 PM
spurs were over the luxcury tax before

Chieflion
04-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Depending on our front office, either we do nothing, or we upgrade big time by sacrificing one of our big three. In my opinion, I think this could happen.

Chris Bosh (Sign and Trade) for Manu Ginobili + Fabricio Oberto + 2nd round pick

Chris Bosh pulls a Vince Carter and wants out of the epic fail franchise of the Raptors and returns to Texas.
Spurs give two expirings (Oberto may be covered by insurance) and a 2nd round pick the Raptors could use to get a 2 guard project.

Spur-Addict
04-09-2009, 09:17 PM
The things people come up with.

SPURSGOAT
04-09-2009, 09:18 PM
No big moves probably; Spurs will more than likely stick with the 2010 plan..

While ST has another off-season meltdown...:lol:blah

manufor3
04-09-2009, 09:18 PM
we wont do anything big. just draft some of the second round players (hansbrough wouldnt be bad) and make them consistent and thats our offseason

peskypesky
04-09-2009, 09:19 PM
hris Bosh (Sign and Trade) for Manu Ginobili + Fabricio Oberto + 2nd round pick

Not quite a good as the Kwame for Gasol trade, but I'll take it! :)

montgod
04-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Depending on our front office, either we do nothing, or we upgrade big time by sacrificing one of our big three. In my opinion, I think this could happen.

Chris Bosh (Sign and Trade) for Manu Ginobili + Fabricio Oberto + 2nd round pick

Chris Bosh pulls a Vince Carter and wants out of the epic fail franchise of the Raptors and returns to Texas.
Spurs give two expirings (Oberto may be covered by insurance) and a 2nd round pick the Raptors could use to get a 2 guard project.

I like your optimism... but no way in hell would this trade happen. A Gasol-type trade only comes around as often as Haley's comet.

What would be more realistic would be either completing the failed trades of either R.Jefferson or Camby and then hoping a jewel falls to us in the second round w/our 4 second round picks.

Thompson
04-09-2009, 10:05 PM
and then hoping a jewel falls to us in the second round w/our 4 second round picks.

I think we owe one of those 4 second round picks (the less valuable of ours or Houston's) to the (Bobcats?), so we have 3 total. Golden State's will be pretty decent (for the second round). Maybe we even trade that one along with another 2nd rounder for a late 1st rounder and get Omri Casspi or another promising small forward.

I'm not sure I'd want to trade Ginobili (although he is getting older and he's coming off a really bad year injury-wise); he might be more or less back to normal next year, and in 2010 he could sign a cheap deal that will allow us to get Bosh (or someone else) to add to Duncan, Parker, and Manu. That and I don't think we'd get near equal value for him (assuming he returns to form).

Thompson
04-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Does anyone know if Splitter at least has a buyout this summer (and whether there's even a remote chance of that happening)? I remember reading somewhere that there was a buyout this summer, but I've been unable to confirm it.

TDMVPDPOY
04-09-2009, 10:16 PM
we still have finley on the books for next season, we are going nowhere....

Chieflion
04-09-2009, 10:46 PM
I thought I would get blasted for even mentioning Ginobili in a trade.

peskypesky
04-09-2009, 11:09 PM
i think we're probably screwed next year unless we get lucky in dumping expiring contracts. I also fear we won't be able to afford Gooden.

MaNu4Tres
04-09-2009, 11:11 PM

It would take a lot more than that I'd say it would take Manu + Hill + Mahimni+ rights to splitter +at least a first round pick possibly 2 first round picks for Bosh. That's if he does tell Toronto he's not coming back and wants out.

Chieflion
04-09-2009, 11:20 PM
It would take a lot more than that I'd say it would take Manu + Hill + Mahimni+ rights to splitter +at least a first round pick possibly 2 first round picks for Bosh. That's if he does tell Toronto he's not coming back and wants out.

Nope. If Bosh wants out, that is when teams lowball Raptors. The Raptors definitely do not want to lose Bosh for nothing.

montgod
04-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Does anyone know if Splitter at least has a buyout this summer (and whether there's even a remote chance of that happening)? I remember reading somewhere that there was a buyout this summer, but I've been unable to confirm it.

Everytime I have read anything about Splitter, he has stated that he isn't coming over anytime soon. No need to even keep him in the rear view mirror. He is getting as much money as possible before considering the NBA.

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2009, 06:37 PM
there's no chance of acquiring Bosh..we have nothing to offer them..Manu's contract expires at the same time, so it doesn't help Toronto..

Bosh can get paid more if he stays in TO..

if they want to trade Bosh, they can get much better offers, especially from Golden State..

BackHome
04-10-2009, 07:49 PM
I don't think that Bosh is going to say "Hey I am leaving" ...he will just play out his last year of his contract and wait for the cash to flow in.