PDA

View Full Version : Team success with regard to conference, and perspective...

adidas11
04-09-2009, 09:58 PM
So I just got finished seeing the Bulls finish off Philly.

At this point in the season, the Bulls are 39-40, and are virtually a lock for the playoffs.

And seeing the crowd reaction, and various analyst opinions of how the Bulls have done (with Vinny Del Negro as a new coach), you would think that the Bulls are having a successful season.

But looking at it, can we (and anyone) really say that? While its nice that the Bulls and other eastern conference teams are making the playoffs over there, can anyone realistically say that they have a chance at all in the playoffs?

For perspective, compare the Bulls or the Pistons to the Western Conference. The Suns have a better record than either team, but are officially out. And no one is going to say that the Suns had a successful year.

I guess, in the end, I'm just wondering how the Bulls and Pistons' front offices really view how successful they are this season. I would think that there are serious concerns about their roster and what they have going forward, even though they are technically making the playoffs.

Discuss.

IronMexican
04-09-2009, 10:11 PM
West > East

Simple as that

Ghazi
04-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Bulls are a young team, I'd consider this a successful season for them.

Pistons accomplished their objective of clearing cap space but considering they have a veteran core, very disappointing season.

Bob Lanier
04-09-2009, 10:25 PM
There are many, many more quality teams in the Eastern Conference than in the West. For that reason, relatively bad Western teams like Dallas, Denver, and San Antonio can rack up wins against PBA-quality competition in Minnesota, Oklahoma City, and Sacramento - while equivalently bad Eastern teams like New York, Charlotte, and Toronto have only Washington to beat up on.

Add to that the generally more demanding emphasis on strategic basketball in the East compared to isolation basketball in the West, and it's no surprise that Eastern Conference teams can have a quality season with a less gaudy record.

I mean, George Mikan put up some impressive numbers, but only when you fail to take into account the context of the lousy competition.

resistanze
04-09-2009, 10:31 PM
WGAF. Unless you have a realistic chance of winning your Conference, who cares whether the 7th or 8th seed in one conference has a better record than the 7th of 8th seed in the other conference. Teams like Utah and Dallas have no chance of winning the West and wouldn't have a chance in the East either.

Kriz-Maxima
04-09-2009, 11:15 PM
I think everybody knows the Pistons season has been a disappointment, no question about it.

Chieflion
04-09-2009, 11:18 PM
I think everybody and their moms knows the Pistons season has been a disappointment, no question about it.

Fixed.

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2009, 01:11 AM
-the Bulls are 16-10 since they made the deal at the deadline..they're a solid team with some upside in a potential superstar rookie PG..

-the Pistons were weak this season, but they have some upside with their cap..

-the East is better than the West..3 of the 4 elite teams with a legit shot at winning the NBA title play in the East..the West has Memphis, Minnesota, OKC, LA Clippers, and Sacramento..5 of the 6 worst teams in the NBA..

Morg1411
04-10-2009, 01:16 AM
Taking into consideration the (general) difference in play style, tempo and defensive mindset in East vs. West teams, I find it hard to even make a comparison between the conferences.

So far as Chicago goes, note that they've only been having what most would consider a "good" season since they brought on Miller and Salmons, who've fit in well and have really helped turn the Bulls season around. Up unto that point the Bulls were inconsistent at best and completely sucktastic at worse. I, personally, am hoping they can keep up their energy and at least put up a good fight in the first round, which is going to be tough considering they're going to get stuck with Cleveland, Boston or Disneyworld in the first round.

Lars
04-10-2009, 02:16 AM
East is mediocre all around.

Xylus
04-10-2009, 02:19 AM
Fixed.

So you fixed his post by making the exact same point, and then fucked up the grammar. Congrats.

monosylab1k
04-10-2009, 02:22 AM
There are many, many more quality teams in the Eastern Conference than in the West. For that reason, relatively bad Western teams like Dallas, Denver, and San Antonio can rack up wins against PBA-quality competition in Minnesota, Oklahoma City, and Sacramento

Did you bother researching this at all before pulling it out of your ass? The Mavericks have been awful against bad WC teams, the large majority of their wins come from kicking the shit out of the Eastern Conference.

monosylab1k
04-10-2009, 02:23 AM
There are many, many more quality teams in the Eastern Conference than in the West. For that reason, relatively bad Western teams like Dallas, Denver, and San Antonio can rack up wins against PBA-quality competition in Minnesota, Oklahoma City, and Sacramento - while equivalently bad Eastern teams like New York, Charlotte, and Toronto have only Washington to beat up on.

Add to that the generally more demanding emphasis on strategic basketball in the East compared to isolation basketball in the West, and it's no surprise that Eastern Conference teams can have a quality season with a less gaudy record.

I mean, George Mikan put up some impressive numbers, but only when you fail to take into account the context of the lousy competition.

seriously, this might be the dumbest post on SpursTalk, and I'm including SpursDynasty posts.

Lars
04-10-2009, 02:25 AM
Anyone know off hand the record of the West vs. East?

Bob Lanier
04-10-2009, 02:27 AM
Did you bother researching this at all before pulling it out of your ass? The Mavericks have been awful against bad WC teams, the large majority of their wins come from kicking the shit out of the Eastern Conference.
I'm sure you could "say" the same "thing" about the Indiana Pacers, a team quite similar to the Mavs stylistically and in terms of personnel.

I realize that Western Conference activists are a bit in a tiff that they aren't quite so important as they were 6 or 8 years ago, but that's life.

monosylab1k
04-10-2009, 02:29 AM
I'm sure you could "say" the same "thing" about the Indiana Pacers, a team quite similar to the Mavs stylistically and in terms of personnel.

Actually, no you can't. The Pacers have a 43% win percentage or so against both the WC and the EC. The Mavs win percentage against the EC is dramatically higher than their win pct against the WC.

monosylab1k
04-10-2009, 02:30 AM

Cleveland, Boston, & Orlando were great against the West, obviously. Take them out of the equation, and the Eastern Conference teams were shit against Western Conference teams.

monosylab1k
04-10-2009, 02:34 AM
EC has a couple more elite teams

WC has way more very good teams

EC has way more mediocre teams

WC has a couple more completely awful teams

weigh those however you like.

monosylab1k
04-10-2009, 02:36 AM
and :lol @ "strategic basketball in the East"

yeah, "give it to LeBron and stand around watching" is a real high-concept offense run by Cleveland. Same with Stan Van Gundy's ingenious "chuck up 3 pointers nonstop and if we miss, Howard will get the put-back"

Bob Lanier
04-10-2009, 02:47 AM
Denial is a gentle master who leads you down a harsh path.

I'll pray for you, monosylab1k.

monosylab1k
04-10-2009, 03:08 AM
Denial is a gentle master who leads you down a harsh path.

I'll pray for you, monosylab1k.

Thanks for admitting you have nothing with which to back up your idiotic claims.

Bob Lanier
04-10-2009, 03:30 AM
Your thanks are always welcome.

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2009, 03:54 AM
I don't understand the lack of logic..it's simple..

3 out of 4 elite teams are in the East..5 out of the 6 worst teams in the NBA are in the West..

the East has been better..

JamStone
04-10-2009, 06:12 AM
I don't think anyone associated with the Detroit Pistons or anyone among their fan base would characterize this season even remotely successful.

The Bulls might, but then again, that's because they were 33-49 last year and won the lottery. This year, they're hovering around .500 and will be in the playoffs (most likely).

The West obviously has more depth. The East got better this year but it still lacks depth from top to bottom.

East teams' overall record v. West: 230-217
West teams' overall record v. East: 217-230 (obviously)