PDA

View Full Version : How The San Antonio Spurs Can Win The 2008-09 NBA Championship

timvp
04-10-2009, 03:26 AM
Times are tough for the San Antonio Spurs. Manu Ginobili is out for the regular season and the playoffs with a stress fracture. Tim Duncan has one chronically sore knee and one knee suffering from a degenerative condition. The treads on Tony Parker's wheels are undoubtedly worn. All the while, head coach Gregg Popovich has consistently been inconsistent with his rotation throughout the entire 2008-09 NBA season.

As a result, it should be no surprise that the confidence of Spurs fans is at a low not seen for more than a decade. The focus amongst Spurs fans has already shifted from this year to next season. In the eyes of most Spurs fans, the hopes for championship number five have been delayed, at the least.

I am as guilty as any of my fellow Spurs fans in giving up on this campaign. The unfortunate Ginobili announcement seemed to be the season's death knell. However, after much consideration, I have decided to change my stance. While the odds are long and the obstacles are high, I just can't give up yet. As long as Duncan is willing to hobble out there on one knee, as long as Parker is willing to summon the needed vivacity and as long as everyone else keeps chipping away at that rock, I can't turn the chapter on this season.

It's easy to be a Spurs fan when things are going well. As Spurs fans, we have suckled at the teat of victory for an astonishingly long time. Now that we have hit a rough patch of sea in this ocean of success, it's unacceptable to cut bait and head for shore. As long as the Spurs are still fighting for the ultimate prize, I will remain dedicated to the cause.

Considering the aforementioned, I unfurl my vision on how the Spurs can win the 2008-09 NBA championship.

The first order of business is to assess the health of the foundation. Tim Duncan is unquestionably slowed at the moment. At times, the pain in Duncan's knees is rivaled only by the pain of Spurs fans watching him struggle with movements that were previously effortless. While Duncan's sore knees are much cause for concern, we must not forget whom we are dealing with. This is Tim Duncan, ladies and gentlemen. A man who has elevated his game like clockwork once the bright lights of the postseason begin to shine.

Since the All-Star break, Duncan's statistics illustrate his health problems. In 22 contests, he's averaging 16.4 points and 10.6 rebounds in 30.5 minutes per game. Although far from encouraging numbers, this isn't Duncan's maiden journey into injury-related struggles following the All-Star break.

Exhibit A is Duncan's 2005-06 campaign. Following the All-Star break, his numbers were 33.1 minutes, 16.9 points and 10.1 rebounds per game. Exhibit B is Duncan's 2004-05 season. That year, he averaged 28.3 minutes, 17.6 points and 9.2 rebounds per game following the All-Star break. In 2005-06, he was hampered by a severe case of plantar fasciitis, while 2004-05 saw him slow due to multiple ankle injuries.

What else do those two years have in common? The answer: a dominant Duncan in the playoffs. In 2006 postseason, he averaged 32.3 points and 11.7 rebounds per game in the series against the Dallas Mavericks. In 2005, as Spurs fans are well aware, the Spurs were able to win the championship with Duncan averaging 23.6 points and 12.4 rebounds in the postseason.

The message these stats should deliver is one of hope. Yes, Duncan isn't anywhere near healthy at the moment. Yes, time appears to be running out for Duncan to resurge. However, he has fought his way out of similar injury-laden holes only to re-emerge as his predictably extraordinary self once the bell tolls on the real season.

Alongside Duncan will be Tony Parker. And while Parker may seem like a known commodity, this isn't the same Tony Parker you are used to watching. The Parker of this season has elevated his game to superstar status. To say 2008-09 has been a career year would be an understatement.

This season, Parker is averaging more points and assists than ever. A closer look shows even more impressive stats. Even though he's scoring 10.5% more points per minute and dishing out 11.1% more assists per minute than at any point, he has managed to lower his turnover rate and his turnover percentage to career-best marks. His assists-to-turnover ratio is also far and away his career-best.

Parker's presence on the offensive end is undeniable. Per 100 possessions, the Spurs score 113.3 points when Parker is on the court. Only two teams in the league, the Portland Trail Blazers and the Phoenix Suns, score as often as the Spurs do when Parker is playing. With forthcoming elevated minutes in the postseason, San Antonio has reason to be optimistic about their offense.

The offense that Parker quarterbacks has been extremely efficient throughout all the turmoil. Per possession, the Spurs turn the ball over less than any team in the NBA. Per possession, the Spurs are second in the NBA in assists. Those two numbers combined point to a point guard who knows how to orchestrate his show.

One caveat that has long been placed alongside Parker's success is an inability to produce late in games. This season, the 26-year-old has evidently matured to the point that he's now legitimately a late game option. In the fourth quarter, Parker averages 5.9 points per game, which is the 12th highest mark in the league. His shooting percentage in fourth quarters is 50.8% and that number is higher than the all 11 scorers ahead of him on the list.

In clutch situations, Parker has been even better. He has averaged 36.5 points per 48 minutes during the clutch and shoots 51.3% from the field. Perhaps the skill that will be missed most during Ginobili's absence is the Argentine's ability to produce during key moments. With Parker growth in this area, all hope is not lost.

If Duncan regains his footing and becomes a force in the playoffs and Parker continues to play at a superstar level, it can be argued defiantly that these two Spurs players can form the best one-two punch in the NBA. Show me a team with the best one-two punch in the NBA and I'll show you an NBA championship contender.

The role players on the 2008-09 Spurs are far from awe-inspiring, but I definitely see potential. Roger Mason, Jr. is the player who will be called upon to replace many of Ginobili's minutes at shooting guard. Following a surprisingly strong start to the season, Mason has been erratic. Some games he looks as if he's the planet's best shooter, other games he makes Spurs fans wonder what they ever liked about him.

What shouldn't be ignored is the fact that Mason has stepped up admirably when the Spurs have been without Ginobili. In the 34 games Ginobili has missed this season, Mason has averaged 13.7 points while shooting 43.3% from the field and 44.7% from beyond the three-point arc.

In fact, playing next to Ginobili has been problematic for Mason this season, with the most plausible reason being that the two didn't go through a training camp together and thus lack chemistry. In 44 games playing with Ginobili, Mason is averaging 10.1 points per game while shooting 40.7% from the field and 39.3% from three-point land.

There is no way that Mason can ever come close to replacing what Ginobili provides on a possession to possession or a game to game basis, but if he can continue to score and shoot at a high clip in his stead, the Spurs would have a chance. Plus, if the regular season is any indication, Mason doesn't exactly shy away from big moments.

Next to Mason on the perimeter will be Michael Finley. It's true that Finley can go through maddening dry spells. It's also clear that Popovich plays Finley more minutes than he deserves at times. That said, what makes Finley a frustrating player also makes him a player who just might become an x-factor - his streakiness. He can go through ice cold spells but he's also very capable of catching fire.

This season, Finley has quietly streaked in the positive direction more often than in his previous three seasons in San Antonio. The 36-year-old is shooting 41.8% from beyond the three-point line, which is easily the best mark of his career. His overall shooting percentage of 44.1% is nearly three percentage points higher than his next best mark as a member of the Spurs.

Defensively, while still far from great, he's playing at his highest level on that end in more than five years. He lost weight and got in better shape during the offseason and that has allowed him to stay in front of his man much more often than in previous campaigns. Finley isn't a lockdown perimeter defender by any means but in the right match-up, he has proven to be useful this season.

Regarding Finley, Spurs fans will just have to hope he goes through a hot phase at the right time. When he's on, he's capable of shooting this team to victory almost single-handedly. If that can happen just two or three times during the playoffs, Finley's season will have been a smashing success.

The backup swingmen, Bruce Bowen and Ime Udoka, provide a healthy amount of grit. In the case of Bruce Bowen, his championship experience should not be undervalued. Even at 37, he can still defend. If the Spurs run up against a top flight perimeter player in the playoffs, Bowen has shown the ability at times to elevate his game back to the level that made him the best perimeter defender in the game of basketball.

Bowen's impact is still felt in the statistics. When he's on the court, opponents score 103 points per 100 possessions. When he's on the bench, opponents score 107.2 points per 100 possessions. On the other end, Bowen's shooting is still an asset. His three-point percentage is 43%, the highest it has been since he led the NBA in three-pointer shooting during the 2002-03 season. His 42.5% field goal percentage is the third highest of his Spurs career.

Popovich has hinted that he has been saving Bowen for the playoffs. If that is the case, the Spurs defense in the postseason could be considerably better than what has been on display during the regular season. That in itself should inspire hope in Spurs fans.

While Udoka has struggled through a difficult season, he is still a helpful player when he's on top of his game. At his best, Udoka is a good defender who can knock down open shots and coral rebounds by the boatload. He's shooting just 37% from the field and 30.6% from the three-point line this season, but last season against the New Orleans Hornets showed his potential to heat up. During that series, Udoka shot 61.5% from the field and 64.7% from beyond the three-point arc.

Rookie George Hill has taken on a utility role out on the perimeter. Even though he's only 6-foot-2, he's shown an ability to play point guard, shooting guard and small forward thanks to his athleticism and condor-like wingspan. Hill likely won't be handed any consistent minutes during the postseason, however he has definitely shown flashes of ability during his first season in the NBA. If he gets on a roll in the playoffs, there's a chance he could become a key cog in San Antonio’s machine.

Manning the frontcourt next to Tim Duncan is the heterogeneous collection that is Matt Bonner, Kurt Thomas, Fabricio Oberto and Drew Gooden. Individually each of these bigmen offer useful traits. In the postseason, the hope will be that Popovich figures out how to mix and match so that the hodgepodge of abilities are properly utilized.

In Bonner, the Spurs have their bigman with perimeter marksmanship. For nearly the entire season, he's been one of the best three-point shooters in the NBA. Over the last few months, he's added a dependable slashing game to his repertoire. And while he's definitely an unorthodox bigman compared to most others at his position in the NBA, a lot of Spurs fans would be surprised at how successful he's been during the 2008-09 campaign.

On the season, Bonner has a plus/minus of +245. That mark is second on the team, trailing only Parker. Even more impressively, his plus/minus per minute is +.152, which is far and away the best mark on the team. In fact, it is 21.1% better than any other player. The Spurs score substantially more points when he's on the court and, even though his defense isn't always appreciated, opponents score less when Bonner is on the court.

On the whole, Bonner definitely has his warts as a player but he's had a very good season, relatively speaking, and his outside shooting in the playoffs has a chance to be a difference maker. He'll have to prove it on the court but the numbers say Bonner has, and can, help when the postseason arrives.

To begin the season, Thomas looked like a lost cause. He was extremely slow, his mobility was limited and his outside shot wasn't finding cord. But starting in the middle of December, Thomas turned around his season and has been a godsend. Since the All-Star break, he's averaging 5.6 points, 6.7 rebounds and 0.8 blocks per game in 20 minutes. Those numbers are impressive, however they don't tell the story of how well he has defended and how helpful he has been on the offensive end with his unmovable picks.

In the playoffs, the 36-year-old could very well see an uptick in minutes. If that occurs, Thomas has shown the ability to be very productive in various facets of the game. Like Bowen, he's a veteran who very well could peak when it's money time.

Fabricio Oberto has been on the outside of the rotation looking in. His play hasn't been up to par and his reoccurring heart condition has further hindered his season. However, a Spurs fan just has to recall his brilliant play during the 2007 NBA championship run to understand his capabilities. In the right match-up, Oberto is a very useful 11th or 12th man to have at the end of the bench.

The wildcard in the bigman rotation, and perhaps on the entire team, is newcomer Drew Gooden. Since joining the Spurs, he's shown the good aspects of his game that have kept teams intrigued over the years, along with the negative aspects that have attributed to his welcome being worn out in each of his previous NBA stops.

You can question Gooden's motivation, his willingness to fit into a team concept and even whether he has championship-level moxie, however what you can't question is his talent. On the offensive end, he can score in the low block, he can nail shots from the perimeter and he can score off the dribble. Defensively, his live body allows him to be an adequate individual defender and a capable shot-blocker.

Can Gooden learn to maximize his talents within the Spurs system while minimizing his tendency to hog the ball on offense and fall asleep on defense? If he can, his ceiling on the Spurs is extremely high. To date, he's averaging 8.9 points and 3.8 rebounds in only 15.4 minutes per game. To put that in perspective, Gooden is averaging more points per minute in his short time with San Antonio than either Duncan or Ginobili.

Imagine for a second that Gooden evolves enough to where he can play major minutes at some point during the playoffs. Now start adding the other pieces to the equation. A creaky foundation that battles back from injury to be the Tim Duncan in the playoffs. A superstar level Tony Parker. A bevy of shooters capable of shooting lights out. A handful of veterans who may have yet seen the peak to their season. Imagine all of that and you can't tell me the Spurs don't have a shot.

No matter how good of a chance you believe the Spurs have at this point, any reasonable observer would give this team at least a shred of hope. Be sure to add to the equation a four-time NBA champion coach who has shown his Hall of Fame mettle over the years and who seems to thrive when the going gets treacherous. I don't know about you, my fellow Spurs fan, but I'm not ready to stop believing.

Believe.

timvp
04-10-2009, 03:27 AM
Oh and if you've already folded tent and have given up on the season, please post in one of the other hundreds of threads dedicated to your cause.

Thanks.

TheSpursFNRule
04-10-2009, 03:39 AM
the things you write are really some of the only things worth reading on this board. thanks.

duncan228
04-10-2009, 03:47 AM
I always believe, though things looked pretty bleak watching Duncan in the Blazers game. I appreciate you breaking it down in a way that shows the team for who they are: A core group of experienced Champions, surrounded by a cast of role players that have talent.

If any team can rise through this kind of season it's the Pop/Duncan led Spurs. Championship poise and execution are the backbone of this team.

Thanks for the time, effort, and research. And thanks for a 'Believe' thread for '09.

Buckle up. It's going to be quite a ride.

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2009, 03:50 AM
very well written post timvp..

my problem with this team is simple..Duncan's knees..that's what it comes down to for me..Timmy is one of the all-time greats in the post-season, and he's certainly stepped his game up through injuries..to me, it comes down to him, and if he can perform through injuries at this age..

I'm in the group that has given up on our title hopes, and that won't really change until I see Duncan play in the playoffs..I've continued to say that the rest of the West is weak, and we can easily make the conference finals if Duncan can play healthy, regardless of Manu's injury..

it's just tough to imagine Tim elevating his game in the playoffs to the level that we'll need from him..and that's where my negative attitude comes from..

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2009, 03:50 AM
I don't know the rules ...So I doubt it would do is any good NOW...

However

BONZI WELLS has been available as a free agent since FEBRUARY...

Maybe the Spurs and OTHER teams DID make overtures to him but Probably NOT

With an Ailing Manu and no guy who Can take it to the HOLE other than Parker...The SPURS could have made an OFFER to him...I know I KNow... the guy has a major attitude problem..Yada yada...but We have a NO TRUE WING MAN PROBLEM...and a TOO MUCH OUTSIDE JUMPSHOOTING PROBLEM...

NO AMOUNT OF TEAM DEFENSE cand make up for those Debts...

Bonzi Wells has been fat, out of shape, and horrible for a few years now..

that's not DOOABLE..

J.T.
04-10-2009, 03:52 AM
Oh and if you've already folded tent and have given up on the season, please post in one of the other hundreds of threads dedicated to your cause.

Thanks.

Is this an autoban clause?

Honestly I can't wait for the death of the church of Manu after the Spurs win it this year without him.

kace
04-10-2009, 03:52 AM
Really happy to see that you found again some faith and hope in this team for these PO :toast

and, as usual, a great read. indeed, i've been searching for a good article about spurs current situation and this is the best i've found. thanks.

:flag::flag::flag::flag::lobt2:

DespЏrado
04-10-2009, 03:57 AM
That's why I want the Spurs to rest Duncan and tank enough to get the Lakers in the first Round. I think he can give more effort in a sustained short burst if he can go all out against the hardest team first.

Well put Timvp. Damn well put. I can't really add anything more to what you wrote.

Our hopes are at their lowest point but the ceiling seems a hell of a lot higher.

ace3g
04-10-2009, 04:01 AM
great article timvp, As long as Pop can settle on his rotations the Spurs will have a chance.

If Pop decides to give back the back up PG spot to Hill, this gives the Spurs another player that can attack the basket and dish out when needed. The main problem when Mason plays the back up PG he is out of his element, he is comfortable in either the catch and shoot or coming off screens and shooting. Same with Finley.

Although Hill has yet to prove that he can consistently finish at the basket, he has proven he can get to the basket and that is the key, that alone will cause defenders to leave their assignments on the arc, and then Hill can choose to either finish or pass out to an open Mason, Finley, Bonner, Bowen, etc. Other than Parker no one else can get to the rim.

I agree with your assessment of Gooden, he has shown that he can be the 4th scorer for the Spurs but he needs to show that he can be a consistent team defender and rebound the ball at a higher rate.

I also get the feeling that Pop has been saving Bowen for the playoffs, but until Manu got injured I felt that Pop was going to keep him out of the rotation.

The key during the playoffs, is for the Spurs and Pop to make game to game adjustments, which in my opinion Pop is one of the best at making game to game adjustments, which is why I typically don't get worried when the Spurs have a bad game in the playoffs. For instance last year against the Hornets after games 1 and 2, Pop moved Bowen off Paul and had him guard Peja, results, Spurs win series.

The one player I have problems with is Udoka, I use to like him, but now everytime time I see him shoot the ball I can tell it is off, his jumper just doesn't have any rhthm, I would rather have Marcus Williams take his minutes at this point. Use Udoka as a utility player when the match up dictates the use of his rebounding and ability to guard the stronger SG/SF/PF

3 point shooting will be key now more then ever in the 2009 playoffs, since we are missing one of the best slashers/play makers in the league.

as timvp signature states "Believe" in 2009, it is after all an odd year!!!!

BruceBowenFan
04-10-2009, 04:21 AM
The Spurs will show NO REMORSE

crc21209
04-10-2009, 04:39 AM
WOW timvp, that was a DAMN good post. :toast. That's what I'm talking about. You literally hit everything right on the head. I Believe, that's for damn sure. :flag:

J.T.
04-10-2009, 04:47 AM
WOW timvp, that was a DAMN good post. :toast. That's what I'm talking about. You literally hit everything right on the head. I Believe, that's for damn sure. :flag:

The one he did when the Spurs were down 3-1 to the Mavs was way better. The last time I was getting some pregame dome and couldn't get it up to start the show, I read that post and was money for like four hours without popping one off. True story.

ThaiFanofSpurs
04-10-2009, 04:48 AM
I don't think I am not being realistic but I will never give up on the Spurs. I believe in the hearts of Tim, TP, and the Spurs. I am sure Tim and TP will lift up their higher level of plays in the POs like they have always done year after year. I also believe that our supporting energy on this forum will give them more fire power to play at their best.

GSG!

ulosturedge
04-10-2009, 05:02 AM
The power of prayer always helps. Pray Duncan's knees get better. Pray that each player on our Spurs team plays the game of their lives through the post-season. I believe in prayer and the power of faith :O.

I'm in it for the long-haul. We ride together we die together! Go out fighting!

xapatan2
04-10-2009, 05:17 AM
Your thoughts are my thoughts Timvp, and I am happy you wrote them..

I do believe in this championship and in theses playoffs coming.

And you point out perfectly where it would start : with our foundation, our franchise, Mr Tim Duncan.

I believe

Xap'

GSH
04-10-2009, 05:22 AM
I can't disagree, but I think that there is one more thing standing between them and another Championship. I'm sure I will catch the typical flame storm, any time something like this is mentioned. But if you want to talk about the Spurs actually winning it all, it has to be part of the equation.

A few years ago, teams around the league finally recognized that there was no way to stop Tim Duncan consistently. So the best way to defend him is to "keep him from getting the ball". In trying to accomplish that, they have pushed the envelope far beyond any semblance of the rules. The amount of abuse that Tim takes off the ball is unequalled anywhere else in the league. For example:

The other night I watched Nick Collison standing directly behind Tim in the low post. He had his left hand on Tim's back, and his right arm wrapped around Tim's body. Tony was trying to pass Tim the Ball, but Collison's right hand was extended out in between Tim's, so that it looked like Tim had 3 arms. If that wasn't bad enough, when it looked like Tony might try to pass to Tim anyway, Collison shoved Tim from behind with his left hand hard enough to make Tim bend over at the waist, and lower his arms to try and retain his balance. Collison didn't have to use any technique or footwork. He got the benefit of fronting Tim, while retaining the luxury of staying between him and the basket. That has nothing to do with the game of basketball.

Tim has someone draped on him on almost every play that he is in the game. If you've ever watched heavyweight boxing, you know that technique is often used by brawlers who are overmatched by their opponents. And you also understand that it takes a toll in the later rounds. It's no wonder his knees are bad.

I'm not saying that these things only happen to the Spurs or to Tim (although I am convinced that Tim takes the worst of it, by far). For instance - in a recent game against the Lakers, the Clippers cut a 19 point deficit down to 3 points at the end of the game. The play called for Eric Gordon to attempt a final 3-pointer to send the game to overtime. The following description of the play was published on the NBA's website:
Gordon never touched the ball, Baron Davis missed a three at the buzzer and the Clippers lost. "It was like we didn't play basketball at the end," he said about Bryant's defense. "It was like WWF or something. Wrestling." Bryant just smiled and said, "There's no way he was getting a shot off. He just wasn't." Another day in the life of a rookie.

That last comment was tossed off so casually, like this sort of thing is just to be expected. But the reason it is to be expected is that it has become part of the fabric of the NBA. It's not hard to picture the smirk on Kobe's face as he made his comment. He knows the lay of the land, and he knew that he wouldn't get a whistle in crunch time, no matter what he did to Gordon. It doesn't take any exceptional talent to defend a guy, if you are free to mug him off the ball. Tim Duncan lives with that every night. But if he tried to defend that same way, he would have four fouls in the first quarter of every game. That's just a fact of life.

When the Spurs were running at 100%, that probably brought some parity to the league, and some drama to the playoffs. But with Manu out, and Tim playing hurt, it's too much to overcome. If the Spurs are going to win another title, they need Tim Duncan. And he needs a reprieve from some of the outrageous contact off the ball.

quentin_compson
04-10-2009, 05:26 AM
That's the spirit, timvp! :tu

Of course it is a long shot to even think about something like a title with Manu injured, but f*ck it, let's just play the games and see what happens.

Right now, it looks like a first-round matchup against the Blazers is quite likely. They are young, athletic - but unexperienced. It probably would be a grind, but I am absolutely confident we could take this series IF Timmy can be closer to himself come playoff time.

And you know how the song goes: "First we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin" ...

Believe.

NZ Spurs
04-10-2009, 05:30 AM
the things you write are really some of the only things worth reading on this board. thanks.

Yeah seriously, if this was just a blog of timvp reacting to the news items posted by duncan228, I would be a happy man. Although the dedication of duncan228 scares me a little.

The majority of posts are either single line agreements, adding nothing, or multiple lines of absolute monkey shit.

Phenomanul
04-10-2009, 05:32 AM
I believe.... :tu

Thanks for the added inspiration brought by your statistical analysis timvp!

Ice009
04-10-2009, 05:36 AM
I really think the Spurs have a chance even before Timvp posted this thread. Great post.

Streakyshooter08
04-10-2009, 05:43 AM
As long as there is one second basketball left to be played, I will NEVER give up. Giving up is a loosers mentality. You still have Duncan, Parker, Mason, Gooden, Bowen, Thomas,...

If the Spurs knock down their shots and defend on a high level anything is possible.

Believe.

polandprzem
04-10-2009, 05:45 AM
LJ are you really belive the spurs can make it or you want to pesuade yourself that it is really truth?

Spurs in all season were not as good as other teams and now have even more problems ...

However spurs are capable of playing a good ball but a championship level?
Highly imporobable, but what is belive?
Belive is something that you trust something highly improbable can happen.

Nice thread good research :tu

benefactor
04-10-2009, 05:47 AM
The next few games for us, Houston and Portland will also be important...as important as the team contribution as a whole. In the current spot we are at we will not have home court in any round. Portland has the tiebreaker so we would start the playoffs there. It is certainly doable, as both teams are looking at tougher games than we are.

Until the dirt is actually on our coffin I won't completely call us dead. As the OP indicated, there are many variables that have to line up in order for us to pull this thing off. I have already stated elsewhere that I have become a realist about our situation and lowered my expectations about the rest of our season. I feel like doing this is a good thing for two reasons...I will take it less hard if what is expected happens and I will have more joy if the unthinkable happens.

The final and biggest variable in the equation is defense. Us playing good team D is the one thing that could possibly outweigh the lack of productivity from one of our needed role players. This is what we do...and every trophy in our cabinet is there because of it.

The heart is beating. There is breath in the lungs. Let's see what happens.

SpursFanFirst
04-10-2009, 05:51 AM
Nice post, Timvp.

I certainly haven't given up on this team, but there has been cause for concern in that they just don't look like the Spurs of recent years in this April.

But what really stood out to me reading your post was Bonner's stats. :wow I had no idea he was having such a solid season. That's awesome news!

I really have no idea what to expect when the playoffs start, but one thing's for sure - I'll be watching and cheering the team on win or lose. :cheer

J.T.
04-10-2009, 05:54 AM
I seriously think Pop sanbagged the whole season with a super talented team just to see how many games he could win without trying.

Can't wait to see what he has planned for the real season.

J.T.
04-10-2009, 05:56 AM
I seriously think Pop sanbagged the whole season with a super talented team just to see how many games he could win without trying.

And if the Spurs win the championship this year, we will retroactively say that Pop spent the whole season in "Horry mode".

SpursFanFirst
04-10-2009, 06:08 AM
I seriously think Pop sandbagged the whole season with a super talented team just to see how many games he could win without trying.

The funny thing is, there are times I think that must be the case. Injuries aside, how else do you explain this bizarre season?

But then, that's an awful big risk for Pop to take...so I'm back at square one.

I'm truly at a loss for words this season.

holcs50
04-10-2009, 06:19 AM
Good Lord that was awesome. Best thing Ive read since I joined spurstalk. I give it an A++. The writing is top notch and the research is in depth. I agree with a lot of things you wrote and the numbers you found do look positively on each of the players. Though we know not everyone will come to perform.

For me its things like the only player who actually gets minutes that can actually penetrate is Parker. Not a good sign. Teams know the pick n roll is coming and will react accordingly. I see a lot of teams packing it in early in the offense to stop TPs penetrations...then we'll have to swing it around the perimeter and nobody will be able to create without a screen. Thus leading to the spurs infamous stretches of offense where the ball gets passed around a few times and it seriously looks like everyones just standing there watching to eventually have the possession end up in a last second shot thrown out from someones ass. I fear this with our lack of athletic perimeter players. To counter this we NEED to get the ball to TD down low more-and I suggest Gooden getting low and getting the ball on the block also. Working inside out is the only way to keep Ds honest and lanes open for parker to penetrate and kick/score.

Another thing is Udoka no matter what positive numbers found is just a waste IMO. I think the keys besides the obvious of TD and Park providing usual playoff production are Gooden playing quite a few minutes, stepping up and posting now and then. Finley no matter how old he is is the only other all-star guard on the team, his quickness may be gone but if he can step up and get in a good rhythm he still can be very dangerous...Just wish he still had that quickness. Defense-everyone really has to step up because the team has had one of its down years on that end. In the end I still believe...somewhat...I really think if like Timvp wrote-that things click and they come to play we can beat any team in the wester conference besides one and yall know who. Just don't see it happening under any circumstances-but never know another team might take them out. We can make a very good run and Ill be rooting all the way. Definitely is a steep, steep hill to climb, but you really can't say its over till its over.

So Go Spurs Go and lets make this post-season anything but reminiscent of the regular season. Its a new season, a new time, and anything can happen.

romain.star
04-10-2009, 06:33 AM
Great read Timvp.
So to sum it up, spurs fans can believe IF:
- Duncan is 100% healthy
- TP keeps on playing at a superstar level
- Role players step up

J.T.
04-10-2009, 06:47 AM
The funny thing is, there are times I think that must be the case. Injuries aside, how else do you explain this bizarre season?

But then, that's an awful big risk for Pop to take...so I'm back at square one.

I'm truly at a loss for words this season.

If it wasn't apparent he was doing this when he called that first Hack-A-Shaq on opening night, I'd say he's been rolling the dice on this season ever since Parker got hurt earlier this year.

The weird thing is I think he's going to do it in the playoffs too, because there's nothing more demoralizing to a team than to think you're going to win a game and then have the door slammed in your face at the last second. Pop's been going all in with 2-7 off suit all season and it probably cost us HCA but if there's any team in the NBA that doesn't need HCA in the playoffs it's the Spurs.

lurker23
04-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Great OP, timvp. There's certainly a lot of reasons to think that the Spurs are capable of winning it all. And while none of us can honestly say that the chances of a championship are high, at least compared to previous years, there's never a reason to stop cheering for our Spurs, and there's never a reason to stop believing.

spurspokesman
04-10-2009, 07:20 AM
Times are tough for the San Antonio Spurs. Manu Ginobili is out for the regular season and the playoffs with a stress fracture. Tim Duncan has one chronically sore knee and one knee suffering from a degenerative condition. The treads on Tony Parker's wheels are undoubtedly worn. All the while, head coach Gregg Popovich has consistently been inconsistent with his rotation throughout the entire 2008-09 NBA season.

As a result, it should be no surprise that the confidence of Spurs fans is at a low not seen for more than a decade. The focus amongst Spurs fans has already shifted from this year to next season. In the eyes of most Spurs fans, the hopes for championship number five have been delayed, at the least.

I am as guilty as any of my fellow Spurs fans in giving up on this campaign. The unfortunate Ginobili announcement seemed to be the season's death knell. However, after much consideration, I have decided to change my stance. While the odds are long and the obstacles are high, I just can't give up yet. As long as Duncan is willing to hobble out there on one knee, as long as Parker is willing to summon the needed vivacity and as long as everyone else keeps chipping away at that rock, I can't turn the chapter on this season.

It's easy to be a Spurs fan when things are going well. As Spurs fans, we have suckled at the teat of victory for an astonishingly long time. Now that we have hit a rough patch of sea in this ocean of success, it's unacceptable to cut bait and head for shore. As long as the Spurs are still fighting for the ultimate prize, I will remain dedicated to the cause.

Considering the aforementioned, I unfurl my vision on how the Spurs can win the 2008-09 NBA championship.

The first order of business is to assess the health of the foundation. Tim Duncan is unquestionably slowed at the moment. At times, the pain in Duncan's knees is rivaled only by the pain of Spurs fans watching him struggle with movements that were previously effortless. While Duncan's sore knees are much cause for concern, we must not forget whom we are dealing with. This is Tim Duncan, ladies and gentlemen. A man who has elevated his game like clockwork once the bright lights of the postseason begin to shine.

Since the All-Star break, Duncan's statistics illustrate his health problems. In 22 contests, he's averaging 16.4 points and 10.6 rebounds in 30.5 minutes per game. Although far from encouraging numbers, this isn't Duncan's maiden journey into injury-related struggles following the All-Star break.

Exhibit A is Duncan's 2005-06 campaign. Following the All-Star break, his numbers were 33.1 minutes, 16.9 points and 10.1 rebounds per game. Exhibit B is Duncan's 2004-05 season. That year, he averaged 28.3 minutes, 17.6 points and 9.2 rebounds per game following the All-Star break. In 2005-06, he was hampered by a severe case of plantar fasciitis, while 2004-05 saw him slow due to multiple ankle injuries.

What else do those two year's have in common? The answer: a dominant Duncan in the playoffs. In 2006 postseason, he averaged 32.3 points and 11.7 rebounds per game in the series against the Dallas Mavericks. In 2005, as Spurs fans are well aware, the Spurs were able to win the championship with Duncan averaging 23.6 points and 12.4 rebounds in the postseason.

The message these stats should deliver is one of hope. Yes, Duncan isn't anywhere near healthy at the moment. Yes, time appears to be running out for Duncan to resurge. However, he has fought his way out of similar injury-laden holes only to re-emerge as his predictably extraordinary self once the bell tolls on the real season.

Alongside Duncan will be Tony Parker. And while Parker may seem like a known commodity, this isn't the same Tony Parker you are used to watching. The Parker of this season has elevated his game to superstar status. To say 2008-09 has been a career year would be an understatement.

This season, Parker is averaging more points and assists than ever. A closer look shows even more impressive stats. Even though he's scoring 10.5% more points per minute and dishing out 11.1% more assists per minute than at any point, he has managed to lower his turnover rate and his turnover percentage to career-best marks. His assists-to-turnover ratio is also far and away his career-best.

Parker's presence on the offensive end is undeniable. Per 100 possessions, the Spurs score 113.3 points when Parker is on the court. Only two teams in the league, the Portland Trail Blazers and the Phoenix Suns, score as often as the Spurs do when Parker is playing. With forthcoming elevated minutes in the postseason, San Antonio has reason to be optimistic about their offense.

The offense that Parker quarterbacks has been extremely efficient throughout all the turmoil. Per possession, the Spurs turn the ball over less than any team in the NBA. Per possession, the Spurs are second in the NBA in assists. Those two numbers combined point to a point guard who knows how to orchestrate his show.

One caveat that has long been placed alongside Parker's success is an inability to produce late in games. This season, the 26-year-old has evidently matured to the point that he's now legitimately a late game option. In the fourth quarter, Parker averages 5.9 points per game, which is the 12th highest mark in the league. His shooting percentage in fourth quarters is 50.8% and that number is higher than the all 11 scorers ahead of him on the list.

In clutch situations, Parker has been even better. He has averaged 36.5 points per 48 minutes during the clutch and shoots 51.3% from the field. Perhaps the skill that will be missed most during Ginobili's absence is the Argentine's ability to produce during key moments. With Parker growth in this area, all hope is not lost.

If Duncan regains his footing and becomes a force in the playoffs and Parker continues to play at a superstar level, it can be argued defiantly that these two Spurs players can form the best one-two punch in the NBA. Show me a team with the best one-two punch in the NBA and I'll show you an NBA championship contender.

The role players on the 2008-09 Spurs are far from awe-inspiring, but I definitely see potential. Roger Mason, Jr. is the player who will be called upon to replace many of Ginobili's minutes at shooting guard. Following a surprisingly strong start to the season, Mason has been erratic. Some games he looks as if he's the planet's best shooter, other games he makes Spurs fans wonder what they ever liked about him.

What shouldn't be ignored is the fact that Mason has stepped up admirably when the Spurs have been without Ginobili. In the 34 games Ginobili has missed this season, Mason has averaged 13.7 points while shooting 43.3% from the field and 44.7% from beyond the three-point arc.

In fact, playing next to Ginobili has been problematic for Mason this season, with the most plausible reason being that the two didn't go through a training camp together and thus lack chemistry. In 44 games playing with Ginobili, Mason is averaging 10.1 points per game while shooting 40.7% from the field and 39.3% from three-point land.

There is no way that Mason can ever come close to replacing what Ginobili provides on a possession to possession or a game to game basis, but if he can continue to score and shoot at a high clip in his stead, the Spurs would have a chance. Plus, if the regular season is any indication, Mason doesn't exactly shy away from big moments.

Next to Mason on the perimeter will be Michael Finley. It's true that Finley can go through maddening dry spells. It's also clear that Popovich plays Finley more minutes than he deserves at times. That said, what makes Finley a frustrating player also makes him a player who just might become an x-factor - his streakiness. He can go through ice cold spells but he's also very capable of catching fire.

This season, Finley has quietly streaked in the positive direction more often than in his previous three seasons in San Antonio. The 36-year-old is shooting 41.8% from beyond the three-point line, which is easily the best mark of his career. His overall shooting percentage of 44.1% is nearly three percentage points higher than his next best mark as a member of the Spurs.

Defensively, while still far from great, he's playing at his highest level on that end in more than five years. He lost weight and got in better shape during the offseason and that has allowed him to stay in front of his man much more often than in previous campaigns. Finley isn't a lockdown perimeter defender by any means but in the right match-up, he has proven to be useful this season.

Regarding Finley, Spurs fans will just have to hope he goes through a hot phase at the right time. When he's on, he's capable of shooting this team to victory almost single-handedly. If that can happen just two or three times during the playoffs, Finley's season will have been a smashing success.

The backup swingmen, Bruce Bowen and Ime Udoka, provide a healthy amount of grit. In the case of Bruce Bowen, his championship experience should not be undervalued. Even at 37, he can still defend. If the Spurs run up against a top flight perimeter player in the playoffs, Bowen has shown the ability at times to elevate his game back to the level that made him the best perimeter defender in the game of basketball.

Bowen's impact is still felt in the statistics. When he's on the court, opponents score 103 points per 100 possessions. When he's on the bench, opponents score 107.2 points per 100 possessions. On the other end, Bowen's shooting is still an asset. His three-point percentage is 43%, the highest it has been since he led the NBA in three-pointer shooting during the 2002-03 season. His 42.5% field goal percentage is the third highest of his Spurs career.

Popovich has hinted that he has been saving Bowen for the playoffs. If that is the case, the Spurs defense in the postseason could be considerably better than what has been on display during the regular season. That in itself should inspire hope in Spurs fans.

While Udoka has struggled through a difficult season, he is still a helpful player when he's on top of his game. At his best, Udoka is a good defender who can knock down open shots and coral rebounds by the boatload. He's shooting just 37% from the field and 30.6% from the three-point line this season, but last season against the New Orleans Hornets showed his potential to heat up. During that series, Udoka shot 61.5% from the field and 64.7% from beyond the three-point arc.

Rookie George Hill has taken on a utility role out on the perimeter. Even though he's only 6-foot-2, he's shown an ability to play point guard, shooting guard and small forward thanks to his athleticism and condor-like wingspan. Hill likely won't be handed any consistent minutes during the postseason, however if has definitely shown flashes of ability during his first season in the NBA. If he gets on a roll in the playoffs, there's a chance he could become a key cog in San Antonio’s machine.

Manning the frontcourt next to Tim Duncan is the heterogeneous collection that is Matt Bonner, Kurt Thomas, Fabricio Oberto and Drew Gooden. Individually each of these bigmen offer useful traits. In the postseason, the hope will be that Popovich figures out how to mix and match so that the hodgepodge of abilities are properly utilized.

In Bonner, the Spurs have their bigman with perimeter marksmanship. For nearly the entire season, he's been one of the best three-point shooters in the NBA. Over the last few months, he's added a dependable slashing game to his repertoire. And while he's definitely an unorthodox bigman compared to most others at his position in the NBA, a lot of Spurs fans would be surprised at how successful he's been during the 2008-09 campaign.

On the season, Bonner has a plus/minus of +245. That mark is second on the team, trailing only Parker. Even more impressively, his plus/minus per minute is +.152, which is far and away the best mark on the team. In fact, it is 21.1% better than any other player. The Spurs score substantially more points when he's on the court and, even though his defense isn't always appreciated, opponents score less when Bonner is on the court.

On the whole, Bonner definitely has his warts as a player but he's had a very good season, relatively speaking, and his outside shooting in the playoffs has a chance to be a difference maker. He'll have to prove it on the court but the numbers say Bonner has, and can, help when the postseason arrives.

To begin the season, Thomas looked like a lost cause. He was extremely slow, his mobility was limited and his outside shot wasn't finding cord. But starting in the middle of December, Thomas turned around his season and has been a godsend. Since the All-Star break, he's averaging 5.6 points, 6.7 rebounds and 0.8 blocks per game in 20 minutes. Those numbers are impressive, however they don't tell the story of how well he has defended and how helpful he has been on the offensive end with his unmovable picks.

In the playoffs, the 36-year-old could very well see an uptick in minutes. If that occurs, Thomas has shown the ability to be very productive in various facets of the game. Like Bowen, he's a veteran who very well could peak when it's money time.

Fabricio Oberto has been on the outside of the rotation looking in. His play hasn't been up to par and his reoccurring heart condition has further hindered his season. However, a Spurs fan just has to recall his brilliant play during the 2007 NBA championship run to understand his capabilities. In the right match-up, Oberto is a very useful 11th or 12th man to have at the end of the bench.

The wildcard in the bigman rotation, and perhaps on the entire team, is newcomer Drew Gooden. Since joining the Spurs, he's shown the good aspects of his game that have kept teams intrigued over the years, along with the negative aspects that have attributed to his welcome being worn out in each of his previous NBA stops.

You can question Gooden's motivation, his willingness to fit into a team concept and even whether he has championship-level moxie, however what you can't question is his talent. On the offensive end, he can score in the low block, he can nail shots from the perimeter and he can score off the dribble. Defensively, his live body allows him to be an adequate individual defender and a capable shot-blocker.

Can Gooden learn to maximize his talents within the Spurs system while minimizing his tendency to hog the ball on offense and fall asleep on defense? If he can, his ceiling on the Spurs is extremely high. To date, he's averaging 8.9 points and 3.8 rebounds in only 15.4 minutes per game. To put that in perspective, Gooden is averaging more points per minute in his short time with San Antonio than either Duncan or Ginobili.

Imagine for a second that Gooden evolves to the point that he can play major minutes at some point during the playoffs. Now start adding the other pieces to the equation. A creaky foundation that battles back from injury to be the Tim Duncan in the playoffs. A superstar level Tony Parker. A bevy of shooters capable of shooting lights out. A handful of veterans who may have yet seen the peak to their season. Imagine all of that and you can't tell me the Spurs don't have a shot.

No matter how good of a chance you believe the Spurs have at this point, any reasonable observer would give this team at least a shred of hope. Add a four-time NBA champion coach to the equation who has shown his Hall of Fame mettle over the years and seems to thrive when the going gets treacherous. I don't know about you, my fellow Spurs fan, but I'm not ready to stop believing.

Believe.
As A true spurs fan I'm forced to believe.:toast Im with you on that VP

JoeChalupa
04-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Well said LJ. :tu

1Parker1
04-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Nice post Timvp...even if it is a little overly optimistic ;)

I said it before in another post...but these Spurs, even without Manu Ginobili and a hobbled Tim Duncan are still pretty good. If it weren't for those damn Lakers, I'd still like the Spurs chances against any other team in the Western Conference. Seeds 2-8 are pretty much dead even, with the Spurs being the ones with the championship and most postseason experience. Sure they aren't athletic enough to keep up with Portland, sure they don't have the physical toughness to match up against Utah, sure they don't have a Dirk or CP3 stopper against the Mavs or Hornets...but these are all teams the Spurs have beaten in the past and could do so again.

That being said, no one is getting by the d*mn Lakers in the West, so it's all pretty much a moot point. I'll be proud of these Spurs if they make it through one round in the playoffs, especially if it's on the road. That should tell you a lot about the character and what's left in this group in the Tim Duncan era.

sonic21
04-10-2009, 07:40 AM
great read timvp :tu

Bukefal
04-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Nice read!!! Its not impossible, we do have a chance, all we have to do is believe and support. It hasnt been the greatest season, but i have confidence.

GO spurs!

Lebowski Brickowski
04-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Something of this length should be read on the toilet. I'll be back in a few. :wakeup

Spurs Brazil
04-10-2009, 08:16 AM
GREAT read timvp

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/04Cz3X9e1VbrB/610x.jpg

mathbzh
04-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Yes really great read.

No matter how big it is, there is Hope.

janet1122
04-10-2009, 08:33 AM
I believe!!! Afterall, it is the Spurs!!!

Agloco
04-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Great read Timvp.
So to sum it up, spurs fans can believe IF:
- Duncan is 100% healthy
- TP keeps on playing at a superstar level
- Role players step up

I guess the paradox is that he's not 100% healthy. Where exactly does that leave Spurs fans?

Good thing that Pandora's reflexes were quick enough to keep hope around.

ManuTP9
04-10-2009, 08:57 AM
:toast that was an excellent read. We are Still In this!

Lebowski Brickowski
04-10-2009, 08:57 AM
OK I'm back. :)

I love the analysis, player by player. What I think it makes clear is that offense probably should NOT be a probelm. Defense, on the other hand, is still up in the air as long as Bruce is a spot player. (George Hill too, to a much lesser extent.)

Pop has HINTED about Bruce being saved for the playoffs, but what remains to be seen is if Pop suddenly has the moxie to give Bruce back his standard role to stop AK47 or Ron Artest or Melo.

And since timvp showed (correctly, I think) that this team is plenty capable offensively, even without Michael Finley, and that the "Tim Question" is still a bit nebulous (though history and reputation is on Duncan's side), I say Bruce is going to be VITAL.

:flag:

silverblackfan
04-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Another excellent post, Timvp. For a while there your articles were tending toward the negative, but this one formulated a lot of the thoughts that rattle through my head. I am sure most of the long time fans who follow each player see the same things. This team is far from done and when wounded, they get inspired. I still remember David getting thrown out of the game in Portland. The Portland crowd was ecstatic. One less superstar was a lock for the Blazers to win. The funny thing is, the Blazers had a different look on their face. "Oh shit. They are pissed now."

urunobili
04-10-2009, 09:15 AM
damn good writing timvp :worthy:

and i still believe we have shot... we truly do... :flag

Summers
04-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Even if Bowen suddenly morphed into Kobe, it wouldn't be enough given the rest of the team. Get a grip you morons.

Thanks.

Summers
04-10-2009, 09:18 AM
When do we break out the bravatars and voodoo dolls? :)

MoSpur
04-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Not kissing butt, but I needed to read this thread. Awesome post LJ. I still hold out hope. I am very frustrated with this team and have questioned Pop's coaching as of late. I still think this veterand led squad can pull out a miracle. Everyone has to step up their game. It starts with Tim Duncan and Tony Parker. I have no doubt these two will step up.

Indazone
04-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Spurs picking up Bonzi Wells should be a no brainer. This dude is in shape after just coming back from the CBA and he can flat out score and rebound. He's good for a few minutes off the bench and gives the Spurs defensive and offensive depth.

TDomination
04-10-2009, 09:34 AM
That was an excellent article.

Like others have said, the biggest thing for me to have "real" hope is whether Duncan can be Duncan.

I am hoping that the reason Duncan looked so bad against the Blazers was because it was a back to back, not to mention an earlier start than usual.

So if no back to backs in the playoffs keeps Duncan from hurting, that would be a major plus.

Russ
04-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Bottom Line -- This team has more talent without Manu than last year's team with a subpar Manu. Gooden, Mason, and even Hill are big upgrades over last year's squad. (All this assumes Duncan can play at a decent level in he playoffs, of course.)

Put Gooden in the starting lineup and go for a physical, scoring, rebounding front line. Gooden can also take up the scoring slack and allow Bowen to play more. Pop then takes the chains off Duncan and lets him go all out.

The key will be establishing some kind of dynamic between Duncan and Gooden -- it may not happen but its their only realistic chance.

Then go inside out with Mason and Finley hitting threes. Reprive the '99 formula with Mason being Jaren Jackson.

This team can still play at a higher level than any West team not named the Lakers in stretches (like they did against Porland and they will against Utah tonight). They just have to find a way to make that enough.

Oh, and playoff defense of course. Some of the younger teams may find that unnerving if they expect to fly up and down the court.

DPG21920
04-10-2009, 09:41 AM

Thanks.

I knew you would be back. :hat

mexicanjunior
04-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Good read...I didn't agree with much of it but solid writing nonetheless and I will still watch the games and hope for a miracle...

EricB
04-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Add a four-time NBA champion coach to the equation who has shown his Hall of Fame mettle over the years

The same coach who Greg Moore wants fired?

z0sa
04-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Bout time. i was about to be lurking for a while since no one can do anything but dog our own players and jump ship til 2010 ...

:tu good read, now lets GO SPURS GO! :flag:

Trimble87
04-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Very good read TVP. Realistically I cant give us a good shot to beat the lakers, seeing as before manu was down and out I thought the Lakers were the beter team and it was going to be tough. But one thing Ive learned from the Spurs is to never count them out in April/May.

Having no manu is certainly better then having manu at 60-75% in the playoffs like last year. IF TD can get back to 90% and TP can keep up his play I truly believe we can give the lakers a run.

Its nice not only to see a positive post, but one so well thought out. Seeing 3 pages worth of "Spurs suck" ... "No you suck" ... "No the Lakers suck"... "Gooden Rulez!"... "Fire Pop!" can get so demorallizing.

To all the spurs fans deciding to keep a positive outlook on things heres a link for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip1zsUIosoA

Dont Stop Believing. :flag:

peacemaker885
04-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks TimVP! Very good read. Its not over till its over and I'm pretty sure team has something cooking. Its Good Friday today so for Catholics, this is a very gloomy day...but on the third day we all know what happened.

phxspurfan
04-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Nice writing. I had no idea Bonner led the team in some of those +/- categories. That's pretty interesting. Let's hope he can continue to be an asset during the pressure-packed situations to come.

I also like our chances without Manu. If still playing, I just didn't see consistent production out of him that we normally see going into the postseason. I like how this team has come together this season without some of their best players, and specifically how guys have stepped up in Ginobili's absence.

Another thing to mention is the external factor of the Spurs ability to sneak up on teams and steal a win or two. We have always been a team that plays under the radar, and now that everyone is counting us out, that may enable us to 'steal' a game or two during each series before teams realize we are for real with or without Manu.

Don't give up!

GervinGirl
04-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Great job, Sir! An excellent post worthy of printing out and posting near office copy machines everywhere. Let folks have something to thing about while printing and collating.:lol

bugmenot
04-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Best thing I ever read on Spurs Talk :toast

wuss cones
04-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Wow. Thanks for the effort.

What about Jacque?? :p:

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Post of the year.

Brazil
04-10-2009, 01:09 PM

Brazil
04-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Ah and timvp the Believe. is much better than the Four Rings. even written in French : 4 bagues salopes !!

I. Hustle
04-10-2009, 01:41 PM
The part I enjoyed the most is when you talked about suckling teats

Mal
04-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Only pray can help

Spur|n|Austin
04-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Nice well written post Timvp! Thanks for taking the time to do that!

Bring on the playoffs!

Bottom Line -- This team has more talent without Manu than last year's team with a subpar Manu. Gooden, Mason, and even Hill are big upgrades over last year's squad. (All this assumes Duncan can play at a decent level in he playoffs, of course.)

Put Gooden in the starting lineup and go for a physical, scoring, rebounding front line. Gooden can also take up the scoring slack and allow Bowen to play more. Pop then takes the chains off Duncan and lets him go all out.

The key will be establishing some kind of dynamic between Duncan and Gooden -- it may not happen but its their only realistic chance.

Good points!

Thomas82
04-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Timvp with another money post!!

Old School 44
04-10-2009, 03:36 PM
The part I enjoyed the most is when you talked about suckling teats

My favorite too. That reference made me LOL!

BELIEVE!

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-10-2009, 03:41 PM
:lol Ah, I guess desperate times require desperate sophistry... and a tidy, subtle bit of sarcasm for anyone who dares to disagree. Fun reading, if only for a reminder of what obsession paired with homerism can reveal.

I think the point is that you should post in another thread. A message not really all that complicated or disguised, IMO.

G

T

F

O

biba
04-10-2009, 04:02 PM
That time is to regroup. For Spurs. For SpursTalk. :flag: :flag: :flag:

Illusionarist
04-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Man Timvp, you are awsome. Your articles are fantastic. Do you write anywhere? You really should. I agree with everything you say. Thanks for the nice post again.

Austin_Toros
04-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Winning the championship will be hard with an ailing Duncan and injured Manu.

Let's go Gooden!

baseline bum
04-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Shit man, your Duncan and Parker arguments have me fired up for this shit to start in 8 days! :tu

Especially looking back on how bad Tim looked with the plantar fasciitis in '06 and how he sucked it up and had what most stars would consider the series of a lifetime.

Joe Schmoogins
04-10-2009, 06:10 PM
it's about time you rejoined us on the believe wagon timvp

timvp
04-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Especially looking back on how bad Tim looked with the plantar fasciitis in '06 and how he sucked it up and had what most stars would consider the series of a lifetime.Yeah, I forgot how bad Duncan struggled in the second half of 2006. In February, he played in 10 games and shot only 38%. In April, he shot 45% over nine games. Even going into the playoffs, he was struggling against Sacramento. But once the Spurs got in trouble in the playoffs, he put together one of his best strings of games of his life out of the blue.

Maybe this is the year Duncan can't reach within for another gear ... or maybe he can :smokin

Muser
04-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Is there some kind of committee that looks over all the posts on every forum, and then hands out awards? This post deserves one.

spursfan1000
04-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Spurs IMO still have a chance at beating any team in West not named Lakers. We beat the Celtics in Boston without Manu, that should show that Spurs can still play at a high level. The difference from the Boston game is that now we have Gooden who can score off the bench and get us offensive rebounds (Oberto type).

Thomas82
04-10-2009, 06:48 PM
The one he did when the Spurs were down 3-1 to the Mavs was way better. The last time I was getting some pregame dome and couldn't get it up to start the show, I read that post and was money for like four hours without popping one off. True story.

Is there a way to read that post?

Thomas82
04-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Another excellent post, Timvp. For a while there your articles were tending toward the negative, but this one formulated a lot of the thoughts that rattle through my head. I am sure most of the long time fans who follow each player see the same things. This team is far from done and when wounded, they get inspired. I still remember David getting thrown out of the game in Portland. The Portland crowd was ecstatic. One less superstar was a lock for the Blazers to win. The funny thing is, the Blazers had a different look on their face. "Oh shit. They are pissed now."

I remember that game too, I believe it was back in 2000.

Summers
04-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Is there some kind of committee that looks over all the posts on every forum, and then hands out awards? This post deserves one.

Yes, but we're not allowed to identify ourselves for fear we'll be bribed.

Capt Bringdown
04-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Sounds like a plan, win the title and then shop Manu for a younger, healthier player.

Spursfan092120
04-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Two freaking thumbs up...amazing read. BELIEVE BABY...BELIEVE!!

Thomas82
04-10-2009, 09:15 PM
BELIEVE BABY...BELIEVE!!

ambchang
04-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Great analysis.
The Spurs could win the championship, the chances are remote as every single thing has to go right for the Spurs. However, from what I have seen from the Spurs the last decade or so, if there is a way of winning, the Spurs will maximize it.

Go Spurs Go!

timvp
04-11-2009, 12:30 AM
1-0.

"I'm getting my right leg back," Duncan said. "It (the pain) is basically gone, so it was good to be out there without a brace on and kind of play well."

"I felt a lot better tonight," Duncan said. "It was good to have a day off and come out here and run up and down and have a lot less pain."

Tim Duncan has got this.

Believe.

HarlemHeat37
04-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Duncan was so inspired by timvp's post, his knee has miraculously healed..

SpursDynasty
04-11-2009, 01:23 AM
To win the championship, the Spurs just need to go out and do what they're supposed to do. They would be the favorites in any series you put them in this season. Just make some shots, rebound the ball, do what you're supposed to do and we've go a 5th championship.

GSH
04-11-2009, 01:32 AM
If the Spurs finish with the 2 or 3 seed, the Lakers could (and probably would) meet Portland in the second round. In case anyone hasn't been paying attention, the Lakers have lost 8 in a row in Portland, including tonight's game.

No team is going to be an easy out in the West this year, but I would rather face Portland than the Lakers. And the Blazers, for whatever reason, have a mojo on L.A. in their own arena. It's possible that all they would have to do is beat the Lakers once on the road to win the series. That matchup has upset written all over it.

For that to happen, the Rockets need to lose one of their remaining games against New Orleans or Dallas. Who knows? The stars could still line up. If anybody deserves that, it has to be our beloved Spurs.

Mel_13
04-11-2009, 01:40 AM
If the Spurs finish with the 2 or 3 seed, the Lakers could (and probably would) meet Portland in the second round. In case anyone hasn't been paying attention, the Lakers have lost 8 in a row in Portland, including tonight's game.

No team is going to be an easy out in the West this year, but I would rather face Portland than the Lakers. And the Blazers, for whatever reason, have a mojo on L.A. in their own arena. It's possible that all they would have to do is beat the Lakers once on the road to win the series. That matchup has upset written all over it.

For that to happen, the Rockets need to lose one of their remaining games against New Orleans or Dallas. Who knows? The stars could still line up. If anybody deserves that, it has to be our beloved Spurs.

In addition to a Rocket loss, we need the Blazers to lose one game as well. The best chance of that is when they play Denver in Portland on the last day of the season. If the Blazers win out, we can't finish higher than fourth unless Denver loses its final two games.

Gutter92
04-11-2009, 01:54 AM
we have suckled at the teat of victory.

I laughed at that. Hehe.

Gutter92
04-11-2009, 01:58 AM
Is there a way to read that post?

Ya, he is implying he was getting a blowjob.

He also confessed his impotence to us, but it seems that the post was like a miracle viagra, and he suffered from privism, or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours(he should have called his Physician).

Also, he was not able to ejaculate during those four hours.

GSH
04-11-2009, 02:02 AM
In addition to a Rocket loss, we need the Blazers to lose one game as well. The best chance of that is when they play Denver in Portland on the last day of the season. If the Blazers win out, we can't finish higher than fourth unless Denver loses its final two games.

You're right. I was looking at Houston's head-to-head tiebreaker with Portland in the case of a 3-way tie, but then we would lose the division to Houston. Damn. Remember that last game against New Orleans that I said could be the key to the post-season?

Oh well, if the stars are going to line up there's no reason that can't include a Blazer loss too. Maybe OKC will take them out for us.

but it seems that the post was like a miracle viagra, and he suffered from privism, or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours(he should have called his Physician).

I know it's off the subject, but if you had an erection lasting longer than 4 hours, would you really go to a doctor? I don't know what the hell the cure for that is, but everything I can think of is really unpleasant. I think I'd just take my chances.

Mel_13
04-11-2009, 02:15 AM
You're right. I was looking at Houston's head-to-head tiebreaker with Portland in the case of a 3-way tie, but then we would lose the division to Houston. Damn. Remember that last game against New Orleans that I said could be the key to the post-season?

Oh well, if the stars are going to line up there's no reason that can't include a Blazer loss too. Maybe OKC will take them out for us.

Yeah, when it gets down to a race this close you don't think about the close ones you won but you do think about the ones that got away; Finley's last second shot at Portland, two losses to OKC, Roko Ukic having a career game in Toronto, Pop resting resting everyone in Denver, missing 6 FTs against Boston..........Oh well.

wuss cones
04-11-2009, 05:58 AM
I'm going to print this :D

BWS-1994
04-11-2009, 07:13 AM
Lots of "if's and but's". Hard to be an idealist at this point.

But what the hell... throw all caution to the wind, go for broke, nothing to lose!

Go Spurs Go! :flag: :lobt2: :toast

Summers
04-11-2009, 10:18 AM
1-0.

Tim Duncan has got this.

Believe.

I was gonna say, Tim read this and was in a great mood for the Utah game. :)

TampaDude
04-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Censorship is un-American.

'nuff said.

LEONARD
04-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Cliff Notes??

senorglory
04-13-2009, 02:00 AM
This has been a good season to be a Spurs fan, despite the depressing news of Ginobili's season ending injury, and a somewhat inexplicable late season slide. In addition to the objective measures of a good season, 52 wins as of today, and yet another playoff berth in an uninterrupted streak going back to 96-97 (not to mention playoff appearances in all but five seasons since 67-68), it's been entertaining, with the Spurs providing plenty of drama and fun.

Just off the top of my head, things I've thrilled to this season:
-Parker's best year yet, with Parker carrying the team for stretches.
-Duncan's masterful play early in the season, while Parker and Ginobili out with injuries.
-Duncan's continued great play, year in, year out.
-The emergence of 3 point shooting Bonner in the starting line-up. Red Rocket!
-The addition of Mason... scoring, 3 point shoot out appearance at All Star game, and multiple end-of-game daggers.
-The recovery from pre/early season injury and mini-renaissance of Kurt Thomas.
-Hill's convincing play as back-up point and shooting guard.
-Acquisition of Drew Gooden on the open market.
-Flashes of D-League greatness by Mensah-Bonsu, Hairston, and I can't even remember who else at this point, that offered inspiring stories, and hope of the next-great-thing (and provoked innumerable spurstalk threads).
-The mystery of Bowen's diminished playing time... old, resting, not suited to the Spurs new scheme? Only CIA Pop knows.
-Occasional teasing Udoka and Oberto sightings.
-The continued steady contributions of Michael Finley (yeah, yeah, I know, spurstalk hates Finley).

It's been a difficult season, but they've done well. Overcome monstrous injuries, developed emerging talent, and integrated mid-season acquisitions quickly. Too bad for those who can't see why the Spurs are so awesome. I like this team.

spursfan1000
04-13-2009, 02:19 AM
I Believe the Spurs can still win the title.

raspsa
04-13-2009, 03:23 AM
Given the current situation, I'm just going to appreciate each game as it plays out. Hopefully the Spurs play their hearts out and win or lose, they are my team. There's always hope but the realiity is guys like mason, Gooden, Hill, etc. were supposed to add to the Big 3. But with Manu out and Timmy not 100%, I fear the Spurs just don't have enough weapons. By now, opposing teams know how to defend Timmy and Tony. They know what Mason can do. Its going to come down to execution and I hope the Spurs somehow find a formula to compete with the pieces they have in place.

The Spurs will have to win 4 7-game series, each tougher than the last. I can't even look that far ahead. So, I'll just appreciate each game as it comes along and cheer on the Spurs win or lose. It will be interesting to see how each of the players respond to the challenge. I'm sure Pop and the FO will watching as well.

Thomas82
04-13-2009, 08:09 AM
given the current situation, i'm just going to appreciate each game as it plays out. Hopefully the spurs play their hearts out and win or lose, they are my team. There's always hope but the realiity is guys like mason, gooden, hill, etc. Were supposed to add to the big 3. But with manu out and timmy not 100%, i fear the spurs just don't have enough weapons. By now, opposing teams know how to defend timmy and tony. They know what mason can do. Its going to come down to execution and i hope the spurs somehow find a formula to compete with the pieces they have in place.

The spurs will have to win 4 7-game series, each tougher than the last. I can't even look that far ahead. So, i'll just appreciate each game as it comes along and cheer on the spurs win or lose. It will be interesting to see how each of the players respond to the challenge. I'm sure pop and the fo will watching as well.

+1

Manufan909
04-13-2009, 09:37 PM
If it wasn't apparent he was doing this when he called that first Hack-A-Shaq on opening night, I'd say he's been rolling the dice on this season ever since Parker got hurt earlier this year.

The weird thing is I think he's going to do it in the playoffs too, because there's nothing more demoralizing to a team than to think you're going to win a game and then have the door slammed in your face at the last second. Pop's been going all in with 2-7 off suit all season and it probably cost us HCA but if there's any team in the NBA that doesn't need HCA in the playoffs it's the Spurs.

I hope he rolls the dice and gets Hill playing PG, for a quick mancheck. Throw his ass in the fire, why not?

urunobili
04-13-2009, 10:48 PM
It'd be cool to have this thread on a sticky... :tu

Supergirl
04-13-2009, 11:31 PM
good article

timvp
04-15-2009, 11:42 PM
4-0 :smokin

phxspurfan
04-15-2009, 11:52 PM
As is my yearly tradition, I'll be setting the DVD recorder for all playoff games in hopes of capturing every moment on the way to #5...

I succeeded in '07, but got burned in '08...

Dex
04-15-2009, 11:57 PM
FTW.

Bring on Hasselhoff. Bring on Turtlehead. Bring on the fucking Mavericks.

The Underdog Crew is ready for vengeance.

Believe '09 has begun.

Thomas82
04-16-2009, 12:00 AM
FTW.

Bring on Hasselhoff. Bring on Turtlehead. Bring on the fucking Mavericks.

The Underdog Crew is ready for vengeance.

Believe '09 has begun.

+1

I like the idea that we are playing with house money this year.

texnick
04-20-2009, 03:18 PM
I'll suffer through every painful moment, rooting for my team and loving them all the way, but it just doesn't look good right now. I don't understand how we can play so well in the first half, playing team ball, then start that one-on-one isolation crap in the 2nd. Not many teams execute like the Spurs. If we have a chance this year it's in passing the ball, and finding the hot shooters. Sure we've got the 2 great players, but we need an X factor without Ginobli in the game. IMO that has to come from the combination of talented players we have but more importantly in moving the ball to the open man instead of playing one-on-one nonsense.

I didn't mean to gripe, it's just my 2 cents. I love my team just like I did before all these championships, and I never lose hope.:flag:

Agloco
04-20-2009, 03:27 PM
The Spurs can do it, but they need to play perfect ball all the way through in order to do so. Everyone on the roster needs to be playing at their best.

In a nutshell, that's the difference between this years team and team in the past. This one has to be nearly perfect to have a shot.