PDA

View Full Version : No Honorary Degree For Obama at Arizona State

JoeChalupa
04-10-2009, 07:28 AM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2009/04/09/no_honorary_degree_for_obama_a.html?wprss=44

Some people might think being elected the country's first African American president might be a big deal. Officials at the Arizona State University apparently don't think so.

President Obama is to give the commencement address May 13 at the university's Tempe campus. But he's not going to be given an honorary degree.

"It's our practice to recognize an individual for his body of work, somebody who's been in their position for a long time," Sharon Keeler, an ASU spokeswoman, told The Associated Press. "His body of work is yet to come. That's why we're not recognizing him with a degree at the beginning of his presidency."

So spending more money than any American president ever dreamed of is not a big deal? Past recipients of the award have included Barry Goldwater (before he ran for president), Sandra Day O'Connor (after only three years on the high court), former Virginia governor L. Douglas Wilder, former Cornell University president Frank H. T. Rhodes, University of Michigan professor emeritus James Duderstadt, and Wu Qidi, vice minister of education of the People's Republic of China.

"It's someone who's really outstanding, who has made outstanding contributions in their field," Keeler said. Like the Chicom vice minister of education?

So ASU's bottom line to Obama must be: Come back when you've accomplished something.

Good luck with that.

I don't think this will matter much since President Obama has Columbia and Harvard behind him and an honorary degree from ASU is...well just that.

Winehole23
04-10-2009, 08:05 AM
It is Arizona. Maybe they thought it would bother McCain, or Arizonans.

Is it customary to bestow honorary degrees on the President whenever he speaks at a university?

JoeChalupa
04-10-2009, 08:14 AM

Is it customary to bestow honorary degrees on the President whenever he speaks at a university?

I don't believe so. I don't think it really matters to Obama. I just heard them talking about it on Good Morning Joe.

SpuronyourFace
04-10-2009, 11:31 AM
So who gives a fuck???

baseline bum
04-10-2009, 12:12 PM
They should give it to Palin instead; it would look great on her CV. On Obama's? Not so much.

exstatic
04-10-2009, 12:53 PM

Depends on the school. ND gives it to every commencement speaker.

The fact that AZ is dissing a black man shouldn't surprise anyone. MLK day holdout? Hello?