PDA

View Full Version : Schoening: Drew Gooden Pouring In Points

Spurs Brazil
04-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Drew Gooden Pouring In Points
by Bill Schoening | April 9, 2009

Spurs newcomer Drew Gooden is seeing an increase in his workload and in his production, and it's becoming clear that his contribution to the Spurs' frontcourt will be of paramount importance as the Spurs head into the postseason.

"It's important for us to get him some quality minutes right now with the other guys on the floor" says assistant coach Don Newman, who spends a lot of time with the Spurs big men.

Gooden can help the Spurs second unit with his low post defense and rebounding and his ability to score in the paint and on the baseline. It may be a good sign that some of Gooden's best offensive performances came during the Spurs recent three-game road trip when he scored 17 points at Indy, 15 points at Cleveland and 20 points in Oklahoma City.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/timeout/20secondto.html

TDomination
04-10-2009, 11:17 AM
I am very excited to see what he will provide for us in the playoffs.

jag
04-10-2009, 11:21 AM
His scoring is much needed, but it'd be nice if he didn't have the mind of a slow fifth grader. When he's playing off the ball D it looks like he's trying to do complex equations in his head.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-10-2009, 11:28 AM
A few boards now and then would be nice.

EricB
04-10-2009, 11:40 AM
He had a whopping 1 rebound more than a dead guy the other day.

Pathetic.

JoeChalupa
04-10-2009, 11:54 AM
I like Gooden.

benefactor
04-10-2009, 12:12 PM
I am never happy.

silverblackfan
04-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Add players who come to the Spurs get that "Deer in the headlights" look on defense. Gooden seems to be loosening up a bit on this, but I still expect him to just try and stay with his matchup for this season. Stay in front of the basket and continue to help the offensive droughts is all a really expect. Oh, and give up the ball if pressured.

celldweller
04-10-2009, 02:17 PM
The hell with off-the bench points. Start him, play him more minutes. Bring Thomas for relief. Have Bonner ready with his Gatorade as he comes to rest.
Do it Pop! Plan A is not working. Quite being a stubborn old fart!!

poop
04-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Gooden had that driving and-one dunk the other night so therefore EricB hates him.

Indazone
04-10-2009, 03:11 PM
But can Drew Gooden make up for the loss of Manu's scoring?

I'd play this lineup.

Bowen SF
Gooden PF
Duncan C
Bonner SG
Parker PG

Hill backs up Parker
Thomas backs up Gooden
Oberto backs up Duncan
Finley backs up Bonner.

kace
04-10-2009, 03:14 PM