PDA

View Full Version : Malik Hairston Is Playing

tav1
04-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Malik Hairston is playing tonight, a strong indicator that he'll be officially back with the Spurs in July. Dwayne Jones is the story of the game, though. He's crushing for 22 and 23 in the 4th.

BWS-1994
04-10-2009, 10:24 PM
:tu

How's Hairston's play doing?

benefactor
04-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the update. I didn't realize this was on. Looks like another night at the office for Hairston too...31pts, 5reb, 2ast, 2st.

Pretty sick line by Jones. I haven't gotten a chance to see him play yet. How does he look as a prospect?

tav1
04-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Great game.

Hairston just drove the lane and threw down a monster two hand.

The Toros have just fought back for the lead.

Jones looks solid.

tav1
04-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Hairston, btw, is cruising toward 40.

04-10-2009, 10:32 PM
quickly, waive williams and sign hairston popovich!

loveforthegame
04-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Sweet line. Thanks for the updates.

tav1
04-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Jones might hit 30-30

Libri
04-10-2009, 10:36 PM
40 points?!

tav1
04-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Yeah, 40 points.

Manufan909
04-10-2009, 10:37 PM
I wish he made 3s and jays in the NBA like he does on the Toros, or does he suck in both leagues?

tav1
04-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Toros by 3 with 2:28.

Jones is at 29 an 26.

Dawson was injured about 5 minutes ago.

benefactor
04-10-2009, 10:39 PM
14 offensive boards by Jones....good lawd.

timvp
04-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the updates.

Yeah, Jones has always been a good rebounder. That he's able to score is somewhat of a surprise, however. And good news that Hairston didn't take his release personal and instead came back ready to play :tu

tav1
04-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Malik with a pretty dribble drive, Toros by 4.

benefactor
04-10-2009, 10:40 PM
I wish he made 3s and jays in the NBA like he does on the Toros, or does he suck in both leagues?
2-4 tonight. From what Chump has said he just doesn't take that many of them. He will probably need to change that if he wants to be a wing on our roster.

tav1
04-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Jones has gotten better by the month, it seems.

I think ChumpDumper would agree with me that he could be real solid training camp invite, especially if the Spurs clear vets for an ugly contract.

tav1
04-10-2009, 10:42 PM
With Dawson injured, I wonder if they'll pressure Ian to play.

Manufan909
04-10-2009, 10:43 PM
2-4 tonight. From what Chump has said he just doesn't take that many of them. He will probably need to change that if he wants to be a wing on our roster.

I wish his strength, obvious defensive skills, and ability to slash would work. Oh well, I hope he shows off a killer jay in preseason. Maybe Chip or whoever can help him.

tav1
04-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Jones just tied the D-League record for rebounding in 1 game. 28.

33 seconds to go, Toros by 6.

benefactor
04-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the updates.

Yeah, Jones has always been a good rebounder. That he's able to score is somewhat of a surprise, however. And good news that Hairston didn't take his release personal and instead came back ready to play :tu
I am wondering if there wasn't some kind of verbal contract when they waived Hairston. Something like..."We still want you, but there is not enough roster spots for you and Marcus so we need to waive you. See you this summer, kid."

tav1
04-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Malik Hairston just stole the rebound from Jones...

He won't live that down.

timvp
04-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Jones just tied the D-League record for rebounding in 1 game. 27.
Rod Benson?

tav1
04-10-2009, 10:49 PM
Yes, Benson.

Toros win.

Jones sticks at 28 (not 27, as I said earlier).

Malik ices the game with free throws. Finishes with 41. And one rebound too many.

ChumpDumper
04-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Malik had 24 at the half.

tav1
04-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Malik had 24 at the half.

Any word on Dawson?

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Hairston better work on his J in the off-season..we NEED this guy in our rotation next year..

VI_Massive
04-10-2009, 11:37 PM
A statement by Malik to the spurs' front office that they should have brought him up instead of williams? If so, I like the chutzpah.

EricB
04-10-2009, 11:47 PM
A statement by Malik to the spurs' front office that they should have brought him up instead of williams? If so, I like the chutzpah.

Or they told him to stick around cause they are gonna resign him.......

:rolleyes

FvckMavs
04-10-2009, 11:49 PM
"Or they told him to stick around cause they are gonna resign him......."

That is what I think.

VI_Massive
04-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Or they told him to stick around cause they are gonna resign him.......

:rolleyes

I mean the fact that he just went out and dropped 41.......saying to the FO: should've brought me up!

EricB
04-10-2009, 11:53 PM
I mean the fact that he just went out and dropped 41.......saying to the FO: should've brought me up!

Uh, no, but whatever.

VI_Massive
04-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Uh, no, but whatever.

Why no? A guy who was playing for the top squad during the regular year gets passed over for the call-up for another guy who plays a similar position (maybe, depending on what you think Williams' position is) and the next game the passed over guy goes out and puts up 41 points.

There's no chance the passed over guy is going out there and trying to make something of a statement about his own value? I'm not saying this is Kobe and LeBron putting up back to back huge games at the Garden, but it could be some nice competitive fire from Hairston. Why not?

tav1
04-11-2009, 12:07 AM
The main reason he put up 41 is because he had to. Nelson is in Chicago; Williams is in San Antonio.

SenorSpur
04-11-2009, 12:10 AM
Either way, I want to see him improve his J enough to where he warrants a spot in the rotation next season.

ChumpDumper
04-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Any word on Dawson?No. They were taking the bus to the valley straight from the convention center tonight.

Manufan909
04-11-2009, 12:16 AM

Fuck no dude. Hairston is just a man among boys, he had a quite a few games like this before, IIRC. He is just that good.:king

The Truth #6
04-11-2009, 02:58 AM
Uh, no, but whatever.

So he should sit back on his laurels because your gut feeling is that the Spurs offered him a training camp invite?

He's not under an NBA contract anymore. Yeah, I think it would be a good move on his part to show everyone in the league that he still deserves a shot. For all we know he's trying to position himself to be in the best situation possible - which might not include the Spurs at all. We don't control his rights anymore. Anything can happen. I don't see why other teams wouldn't show interest in him for next year.

SpursFan0728
04-11-2009, 03:33 AM
Wow 28 rebounds in 1 game.
IIRC, we had 28 rebounds in total vs. Portland last week.

Bruno
04-11-2009, 06:36 AM
It's good to see Malik bounce back after his waiving. Props to him :tu

What sucks for him is that he has been waived damn late in the season by Spurs. Lottery teams ends their season in five days and Malik isn't eligible for the playoffs. A team could decide to call him up to lock it for the next season but the fact that Spurs have decided to waive him to get Marcus Williams will definitely hurt him.

At the end, it's quite possible that Malik will be available in July. Will Spurs be interested in him? Even if it was maybe only to be nice, Pop said that they will keep an eye on him.

BackHome
04-11-2009, 01:28 PM
I think the Spurs will be looking at both Williams and Malik and it realy depends on two things.

1. Do we bring over Gist
2. Do we draft a SF with Golden States pick

exstatic
04-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Why no? A guy who was playing for the top squad during the regular year gets passed over for the call-up for another guy who plays a similar position (maybe, depending on what you think Williams' position is) and the next game the passed over guy goes out and puts up 41 points.

There's no chance the passed over guy is going out there and trying to make something of a statement about his own value? I'm not saying this is Kobe and LeBron putting up back to back huge games at the Garden, but it could be some nice competitive fire from Hairston. Why not?

He had his chance to show his stuff on the BIG stage and epic failed. He's already shown what he can do in the little pond. Why would the Spur be impressed with what they've already seen?

It's Williams' turn, apparently, to see if his game translates any better into the NBA any better than Malik's does.

Spurs_9_20_21
04-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the updates!!! At first I thought he was playing for the Spurs again.... but now I fully understand!!

urunobili
04-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Many of us here wanted Malik since he trained with the team most of the year...

This is a dangerous situation after the 41 since the Spurs are potentially letting a team steal him

tav1
04-11-2009, 02:14 PM
I think the Spurs will be looking at both Williams and Malik and it realy depends on two things.

1. Do we bring over Gist
2. Do we draft a SF with Golden States pick

Personally, I think the Spurs might go with a full on break up this summer, moving as many of the movable parts as they can. In other words, there may be more roster spots available than we currently project.

Moving movable parts means all but Duncan, Parker and Ginobili, while trying like hell to hold on to Mason Jr.

The Truth #6
04-11-2009, 02:25 PM
He had his chance to show his stuff on the BIG stage and epic failed. He's already shown what he can do in the little pond. Why would the Spur be impressed with what they've already seen?

It's Williams' turn, apparently, to see if his game translates any better into the NBA any better than Malik's does.

Malik was an epic failure? That sounds fairly ridiculous. He was a rookie who showed promise but wasn't ready for solid minutes. I see no reason why he couldn't continue to improve and fight for a spot on the team next year.

Williams was way more of an epic failure in the beginning, yet he continued to work hard and earned a call up. I see no reason why Malik can't improve as well, and get another shot also.

Pop decided to go back to Ime even though Ime had been sucking. Malik's decline in minutes has as much to do with Pop making a decision on what direction he wanted to take as it does with any "failure". Pop didn't have confidence in anyone (outside of Finley) for the 3 and seemingly just decided to go with Ime.

exstatic
04-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Malik was an epic failure? That sounds fairly ridiculous. He was a rookie who showed promise but wasn't ready for solid minutes. I see no reason why he couldn't continue to improve and fight for a spot on the team next year.

Williams was way more of an epic failure in the beginning, yet he continued to work hard and earned a call up. I see no reason why Malik can't improve as well, and get another shot also.

Pop decided to go back to Ime even though Ime had been sucking. Malik's decline in minutes has as much to do with Pop making a decision on what direction he wanted to take as it does with any "failure". Pop didn't have confidence in anyone (outside of Finley) for the 3 and seemingly just decided to go with Ime.
Epic Fail was probably too strong, but then again, Pop didn't randomly go with Ime over Malik. Ime took his minutes before he was sent down. Malik's biggest problem is that he can't space the floor for Tim on offense. His mid range jumper is shaky at best, and he has no three point shot to speak of.

mrspurs
04-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Once again............This is the Mickey Mouse league. They would get whipped by the Tarheels. They would get whipped by some of San Antonio High Schools. The D-league is for how do you put it Kori?.................you know the word. It starts with the letter P. You know the word. And dont worry. I aint gonna read anything after this. So go ahead with your Mickey Mouse P word using threats. And watch how fast WOAI and your superiors are alerted as well. You should have seen the reaction my friends down at the AT&T center got when they read your abusive language. All of them said. Noway she doesnt look the type. hahahahahahaha. David Robinson says prayer is what you need. And he is right.

ChumpDumper
04-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Of course you will read more after this.

You live for it.

P word?

You are a pussy, a piss-ant, a peehole, a puto.

Did I leave anything out here, you name-dropping nobody?

ChumpDumper
04-11-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm sorry.

I don't know what came over me.

I left out peniswrinkle.

ChumpDumper
04-11-2009, 07:01 PM
BTW, if you playbabies want to watch Malik tonight, the Toros' last regular season game is about to start in the valley.

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia-live/nba/26580/500_nba-d-leaguevipers_071102.asx

ChumpDumper
04-11-2009, 07:02 PM
BTW, if you playbabies want to watch Malik tonight, the Toros' last regular season game is about to start in the valley.

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia-live/nba/26580/500_nba-d-leaguevipers_071102.asx

Manufan909
04-11-2009, 07:19 PM
hairston better work on his j in the off-season..we need this guy in our rotation next year..

+1

tav1
04-11-2009, 07:38 PM
No sound for tonight's game?

benefactor
04-11-2009, 07:44 PM
No sound for tonight's game?
Working for me.

ChumpDumper
04-11-2009, 07:44 PM
I've got sound.

tav1
04-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Piss. My notebook is giving me trouble again. Time for a new one, methinks.

benefactor
04-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Once again............This is the Mickey Mouse league. They would get whipped by the Tarheels. They would get whipped by some of San Antonio High Schools. The D-league is for how do you put it Kori?.................you know the word. It starts with the letter P. You know the word. And dont worry. I aint gonna read anything after this. So go ahead with your Mickey Mouse P word using threats. And watch how fast WOAI and your superiors are alerted as well. You should have seen the reaction my friends down at the AT&T center got when they read your abusive language. All of them said. Noway she doesnt look the type. hahahahahahaha. David Robinson says prayer is what you need. And he is right.
I am sure those are the same friends that are in awe of your impressive posts here.

ChumpDumper
04-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Jones is just a lot stronger than all the Viper toothpicks. He's a lot more prone to take the ball up strong down low now instead of laying it in. I like that.

tav1
04-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Jones could be a deep bench big for the Spurs next season--roster space permitted.

Hairston needs a J and he needs to learn to finish left.

jjktkk
04-11-2009, 08:00 PM
If Hairston does wind up on the Spurs Summer league roster, it should be great competition between Hairston and Marcus Williams. Heck one of these 2 might even beat out Udoka.

tav1
04-11-2009, 08:01 PM
I love it when he does that.

tav1
04-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Without Marcus or DeMarcus this is just one Hairston clear out after another...

The Truth #6
04-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Epic Fail was probably too strong, but then again, Pop didn't randomly go with Ime over Malik. Ime took his minutes before he was sent down. Malik's biggest problem is that he can't space the floor for Tim on offense. His mid range jumper is shaky at best, and he has no three point shot to speak of.

Very true - he needs to work on his jumper, and probably defensive rotations as well.

The Truth #6
04-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Anyone mind posting the video link for the Toros games?

ChumpDumper
04-11-2009, 08:30 PM
For tonight: http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia-live/nba/26580/500_nba-d-leaguevipers_071102.asx

Other nights, just go here:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/webcastDleague.html

The Truth #6
04-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks.

ChumpDumper
04-11-2009, 08:43 PM
That's the second time in two days that Jones just knocked a driver out of the air with a standing clothes line. Dude is really strong.

ChumpDumper
04-11-2009, 09:14 PM
:lol The Vipers' radio guy just had a meltdown that sounded like a SpursTalk thread. He called the refs blind and questioned whether they were trying to guarantee the fourth playoff spot for the Toros. I've never heard a minor league PBP guy do that.

ChumpDumper
04-11-2009, 09:33 PM
So Malik didn't get 41 points again tonight.

He got 42.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=2020800380

And Ryan Bright was one board away from a triple double.

Southland Conference, bitches!

timvp
04-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Snyder isn't exactly doing a good job of having Hairston lay low until after the NBA season is over . . . .

tav1
04-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Snyder isn't exactly doing a good job of having Hairston lay low until after the NBA season is over . . . .

He wants to win...

Time will tell, but I think Hairston and his agent might be turning down call up offers knowing that he'll be back with the Spurs in July. Of course, I could be wrong. But I hope not.

The Truth #6
04-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Does Malik usually shoot well on the Toros? His jumper failed him on the Spurs but I'm wondering if his problems were confidence and adjustment to the NBA game. His FT% shooting looked solid, which usually is the best indicator for one's shooting abilities.

Was this game an exception?

tav1
04-11-2009, 10:01 PM
:lol The Vipers' radio guy just had a meltdown that sounded like a SpursTalk thread. He called the refs blind and questioned whether they were trying to guarantee the fourth playoff spot for the Toros. I've never heard a minor league PBP guy do that.

That was funny, funny, funny.

tav1
04-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Does Malik usually shoot well on the Toros? His jumper failed him on the Spurs but I'm wondering if his problems were confidence and adjustment to the NBA game. His FT% shooting looked solid, which usually is the best indicator for one's shooting abilities.

Was this game an exception?

He goes to the rim. Often.

I think his mechanics are decent enough. I'm not sure what's up with his jump shot.

timvp
04-11-2009, 10:03 PM
He wants to win...

Time will tell, but I think Hairston and his agent might be turning down call up offers knowing that he'll be back with the Spurs in July. Of course, I could be wrong. But I hope not.I would imagine that if a team wants Hairston enough, they can guarantee him part of next year and he'd bite. As it is, turning down call up offers would probably cause Joe Smith alarms to go off and the Spurs probably don't want to go through that hassle for someone of Hairston's caliber.

But it's possible.

tav1
04-11-2009, 10:13 PM
I would imagine that if a team wants Hairston enough, they can guarantee him part of next year and he'd bite. As it is, turning down call up offers would probably cause Joe Smith alarms to go off and the Spurs probably don't want to go through that hassle for someone of Hairston's caliber.

But it's possible.

I can't really argue. A partial for next season would be the siren call that wrecks the ship against the rocks. Most of these late season call ups, as you know, are summer league signings. I'm not sure Hairston has earned more than that. Morris Almond scored 50 in a D-League game one time, which is a fact I frequently use to temper my imagination.

HarlemHeat37
04-11-2009, 11:35 PM
you mean Mobe?..

ChumpDumper
04-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Snyder isn't exactly doing a good job of having Hairston lay low until after the NBA season is over . . . .They were playing for homecourt in the first playoff game and had no other scorers. I think they are probably a lock to play the Stampede unless Utah feels really confident playing them again.

urunobili
04-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Guys... nice his scoring etc... but whay about his D? did it look good?

BrianBird
04-12-2009, 09:44 AM
So Malik didn't get 41 points again tonight.

He got 42.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=2020800380

And Ryan Bright was one board away from a triple double.

Southland Conference, bitches!

Wow, I've been good friends with Ryan Bright dating back to my glory years at SHSU and although I Knew he had made the roster, I never guessed he'd get meaningful playing time. I'm proud to see his maturation from an akwardly talented freshman recruit to a young man making a name for himself. I remember when Bob Marlin took myself and my buddy Ryan Griffin to watch one of his final high school games, he was the best player on the court at any position he played and he could play them all. I told coach Marlin how I couldn't believe he wasn't getting offers from bigger programs. He laughed and and said He prays the secret doesn't get out until after signing day. How has he done in other action so far? He's a sneaky athlete and always played very smart at the college level to help make up for his lack of overwhelming size and stregnth. Is he still struggling with his free throws despite his nice stroke from everywhere else on the court? I'm hoping he'll be retained by the Toros next year so I'll have a chance to catch a game once make it back to Austin and out of this Dallas hell hole.

ChumpDumper
04-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Guys... nice his scoring etc... but whay about his D? did it look good?His individual D on Trent Strickland was a lot better on Wednesday, and the whole team was crappy on it's rotations for much of the game, but I can chalk that up to roster churn.

Wow, I've been good friends with Ryan Bright dating back to my glory years at SHSU and although I Knew he had made the roster, I never guessed he'd get meaningful playing time. I'm proud to see his maturation from an akwardly talented freshman recruit to a young man making a name for himself. I remember when Bob Marlin took myself and my buddy Ryan Griffin to watch one of his final high school games, he was the best player on the court at any position he played and he could play them all. I told coach Marlin how I couldn't believe he wasn't getting offers from bigger programs. He laughed and and said He prays the secret doesn't get out until after signing day. How has he done in other action so far? He's a sneaky athlete and always played very smart at the college level to help make up for his lack of overwhelming size and stregnth. Is he still struggling with his free throws despite his nice stroke from everywhere else on the court? I'm hoping he'll be retained by the Toros next year so I'll have a chance to catch a game once make it back to Austin and out of this Dallas hell hole.Bright is one of a corps of energy bench players the Toros have been lucky to have this season. He doesn't do any one thing well enough to be counted upon game after game except hustle his ass off. Fortunately just doing that seems to make a lot of things happen for him and the team.

It's funny because he often gets out of control on the court but he is smart and quick-thinking enough to salvage it with something like a pass that leads to a basket. I'd like to see him come back next season to see if he can develop into more of a regular contributor.

ChumpDumper
04-12-2009, 05:38 PM
They were playing for homecourt in the first playoff game and had no other scorers. I think they are probably a lock to play the Stampede unless Utah feels really confident playing them again.These are the playoff matchups I heard on the conference call:

Colorado - Erie

Utah - Bakersfield

Iowa - Dakota

Austin - Idaho

Dates TBA.