PDA

View Full Version : WOW! No minutes for Hill!?

SPURSGOAT
04-10-2009, 11:22 PM
WTF! I didn't see the game... so who backed up TP? Mason!?

Hill is the forgotten man now... confidence probably shot too...:depressed

timvp
04-10-2009, 11:25 PM
No offense but I assume you haven't been following too closely for the last couple of months.

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2009, 11:25 PM
word?..

no disrespect bro, but you're a few weeks too late on this one..

Thomas82
04-10-2009, 11:27 PM

He got in for the last 24 seconds or so.

SPURSGOAT
04-10-2009, 11:30 PM
I have been following.... just still surprised that Hill has fallen off the radar...especially getting no minutes...

EricB
04-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Pop is a fucking loser of a coach that's why.

Yeah, the Spurs will never win a ring with him.

EricB
04-10-2009, 11:32 PM
I have been following.... just still surprised that Hill has fallen off the radar...especially getting no minutes...

Your following, he hasn't been the backup for two months, and your still suprised?

EricB
04-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Your getting it now. Your grandmother can call 4 down and win a ring with Timmy in his prime. Pop will tell you that, why can't you see that.

Yeah because thats all he's done.

Do the world a favor and step into traffic.

spurs1990
04-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Ok, so can you people in Texas explain why this happened two months ago?

Was it a particular game, or even play, that precipitated George Hill's relegation to the end of the bench?

EricB
04-10-2009, 11:47 PM
So no Timmy and still 4 rings? So you agree and then disagree with Pop. Kudos for a well played bet.

Name me a coach that wins rings without superstars.

Joe Schmoogins
04-10-2009, 11:48 PM
It was obviously his nudie photos... it's the only logical explanation

Spurs16212
04-10-2009, 11:51 PM
He got in for the last 24 seconds or so.

Yeah he got in with 24 seconds remaining only to get taken out with 11 seconds left due to a stupid foul by Marcus Williams. Pop put Duncan and Parker back in the game

Budkin
04-10-2009, 11:53 PM
None of us understand WTF is going on with Hill. He doesn't deserve this treatment.

EricB
04-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Yeah he got in with 24 seconds remaining only to get taken out with 11 seconds left due to a stupid foul by Marcus Williams. Pop put Duncan and Parker back in the game

Uh no, had Ime made his FTs they wouldn't have needed to come in.

Try again.

alchemist
04-10-2009, 11:56 PM
I believe it's because Hill dunked the ball once while on a fastbreak.

You know Pop: Dunks = Bench

Spurs16212
04-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Uh no, had Ime made his FTs they wouldn't have needed to come in.

Try again.

I understand that but to Hill's defense.... He did nothing wrong in that sequence of events. I understand he is a rookie but he has proven that he can be productive and effective on both the offensive and defensive side of the courts. I am not convinced that Roger Mason is a point guard by any means. He can not drive effectively but I think he can be effective in the regards of a pick play similar to what they run for Tony Parker but I do believe Hill needs more time on the floor. These very limited games and DNP's have come since the trading deadline when they almost gave him up for Marcus Camby. Maybe something will be up in the offseason, who knows but I agree that had Udoka made his free throws the substitutions would never have happened.

Spurs16212
04-11-2009, 12:00 AM
I believe it's because Hill dunked the ball once while on a fastbreak.

You know Pop: Dunks = Bench

I believe there was a game where he missed a dunk on a fast break if memory serves me right.

alchemist
04-11-2009, 12:08 AM
I believe there was a game where he missed a dunk on a fast break if memory serves me right.
when you're on Pop's team missing a dunk is better than making one :lol :toast

redskinfan
04-11-2009, 12:17 AM
EricB is GAY!!!!! He is all over POP'S nuts.

04-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Ok, so can you people in Texas explain why this happened two months ago?

Was it a particular game, or even play, that precipitated George Hill's relegation to the end of the bench?

denver nuggets game when popovich sat the big 3 + finley. hill got the startup pg position and went 4-14 FG, 3 asts, 3 TOs, 0 rebounds, racking up only 9 pts in 36 minutes. billups was injured early in the game too.

wtf has hill done to deserve minutes? he's a 40% FG shooter, can't consistently make a 3, doesn't get to the foul line anymore, and seems to have become completely invisible in the game. he had a short burst of good games at the beginning of the season but has had streaky performances since then. popovich has given hill plenty of chances. as a rookie, his first DNP since he began playing at the start of the season was on march 25. that's pretty damn good considering popovich's track record. sadly, even udrih had a better rookie season statistically on the spurs.

timtonymanu
04-11-2009, 12:18 AM
i feel sorry for George Hill. What happened to him playing the 4th quarter defense? He does not deserve to be playing behind guys like Udoka and Bonner.

NewJerSpur
04-11-2009, 12:24 AM
He'll be starting with Tony at the 2 at some point in the future, especially after his jumper improves. If I were Pop, I wouldn't rule him out for the PO. His defense and athleticism could be an X-factor, not to mention he'll be one of the few reamaining players that can take the opposition off the dribble. He doesn't need to run the team to contribute.

HarlemHeat37
04-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Hill will be fine..just getting the rookie treatment, which is typical in the NBA..he was a late pick, not a lottery pick..the team isn't obligated to play him..I want him to play as much as all of you, but it's not going to happen..

the way Mason has played at PG the last few games, I'm fine with the decision..

Hill will definitely be an asset in the future, he's already shown flashes..unlike Beno, he's a great defender, and he's tough..

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-11-2009, 01:32 AM
Why don't Spurs just get Prigioni? He is a free agent and is friend of Manu and Oberto so should be easy to get him.

spursfan1000
04-11-2009, 01:55 AM
yeah Hill hasnt been playing much the last couple weeks, but it seems as if Mason is starting to get used to being backup PG, hopefully this is the best for the team.

:flag:

porscha
04-11-2009, 01:55 AM
wtf has hill done to deserve minutes? he's a 40% FG shooter, can't consistently make a 3, doesn't get to the foul line anymore, and seems to have become completely invisible in the game. he had a short burst of good games at the beginning of the season but has had streaky performances since then.

sorry to say I'm agreed with the above.
hill got chicken out, he did not try hard to be THE guy (play making,drive hard, passing, ...which we all think he is well capable of)that we need, instead he choose to be invisible
you can blame pop or the rotation or anything..but if a guy really wants to win and be at the top, he knows what to do..tony is the great example.
heart is missing here.

rayray2k8
04-11-2009, 02:04 AM
Mason actually played well against the Jazz.

DMX7
04-11-2009, 02:06 AM

maybe Hill is the problem.

Texas_Ranger
04-11-2009, 02:40 AM

wrong...you're a fucking loser. GTFO

The Truth #6
04-11-2009, 02:46 AM
Plenty of Spurs play poorly when they get few minutes and then their confidence tanks. And, when they get minutes and the coaches show confidence, their game improves immensely. We saw that this year with Bonner and Udoka. I see no reason to think why the same scenario isn't going on with Hill.

I'm not saying he hasn't squandered some opportunities here and there, but freezing him out and playing him out of position doesn't help him or the team in the long run.

JoshO501
04-11-2009, 03:33 AM
i honestly think hill is overratted by some people on this sites standards, i really think the spurs should make a push for ramon sessions this summer. he would be a great fit.

Spurs Brazil
04-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Why don't Spurs just get Prigioni? He is a free agent and is friend of Manu and Oberto so should be easy to get him.

Because he sucks just like Pussynolis

Solid D
04-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Besides the explanation "ball..not..go..in..basket" for Hill, he has made lots of rookie mistakes and plays a bit too tentatively. The over-arching result has been, the Spurs don't hold their leads when Hill is on the floor, especially as the PG.

ploto
04-11-2009, 08:48 AM
It has been and will continue to be about Pop wanting minutes for Udoka. By sliding Mason over to PG, he gets time for Mason and Ime which he prefers over time for Mason and Hill.

Solid D
04-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Not even close ploto. Udoka has been eating into Bruce Bowen's floor time, except when Pop goes small and plays Ime at the 4.

Rogue
04-11-2009, 09:00 AM
can you explain to us why the 5 bitches in your sig look perfectly alike? are they twin sisters? :rolleyes

I think Tony Longoria will share around 40min/game at PG in the post season, the rest a coupld of minutes will be eatten up my Roger Mason. so Prigioni will be no more than a bench warmer even if the spurs sign him for insurence. as long as Pop even doesn't believe in Hill, why the heck should he trust a guy who has zero experience for NBA? forget him please.

fyatuk
04-11-2009, 09:40 AM

In general, Hill hasn't played very well since Manu and TP came back early in the season, at least offensively. Once they came back, Hill started just giving the ball up and trying to get out of the way. It's been annoying to see since we know he can get into the paint and is a pretty dang good finisher at the basket.

He just never really found where he fit in one he was no longer needed to be a major playmaker.

Although I was disappointed, since I really wanted to see how well Hill could do guarding Dwill.

Capt Bringdown
04-11-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm not saying he hasn't squandered some opportunities here and there, but freezing him out and playing him out of position doesn't help him or the team in the long run.

Exactly. Hill performed adequately, certainly on par with some other Spurs players who have had ups and downs this year. Yet they are given chances to redeem themselves, while Hill gets benched. You do have to wonder if Pop holds personal grudges sometimes...

If the Spurs are to have a miracle run to the championship, we're going to need contributions from all corners - keeping Hill on the bench would be an opportunity squandered.

TheProfessor
04-11-2009, 09:51 AM
For better or for worse, Pop will not go into the playoffs with a rookie backing up TP. The most we can expect are isolated "stopper" minutes.

While I disagree with Pop, I think his reasoning is twofold - don't allow a rookie to make the usual rookie mistakes, and don't put Hill in a position where his confidence can be detrimentally shaken by playoff basketball early in his career. He wants to let him acclimate. I believe Pop genuinely likes Hill and has confidence in him, but that won't be reflected in his minutes this year, unfortunately.

Bruno
04-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Even if Hill doesn't play at all in the playoffs, his rookie year has been a success.

Providing Hill has the usual improvement between the rookie and sophomore year, Spurs have solved their backup PG troubles for the rest of the Duncan area.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Hill has the potential to be a devestating backup if he can work with Chip over the summer and get a confident mid range stroke going. If he can freestroke it from hotspots within the Spurs offense, we are going to see his slashing game rupture forth. He will be able to keep Tony nice and fresh for the entire season, so he can save his energy for the big performance in the playoffs.

spurs_50_21
04-11-2009, 10:48 AM
i dont remember seeing him much after that laker game when he was guarding kobe

benefactor
04-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Hill will be fine..just getting the rookie treatment

Cant_Be_Faded
04-11-2009, 11:25 AM
What would have happened if we had let Beno Udrih guard Kobe during a moderately close game that meant something?

z0sa
04-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I have no clue why Hill fell out of the rotation. It makes no sense to me considering his defensive capabilities alone merit playing time.

Ask Pop, no one has a real answer.

AFBlue
04-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Hill just isn't consistent enough offensively to justify him being put in there, despite being pretty solid on defense. Pop has been trading defense for offense all season and it's a trait that's bound to continue.

So, Mason will get minutes at backup PG, Bonner will get minutes at PF, and Finley will get minutes at 3 different positions. Oh, and as long as Udoka is hitting his shots Bowen will ride the pine too.

bigdog
04-11-2009, 12:31 PM
The mistake that Pop made with Hill at PG is that he didn't run enough pick and rolls with him. Georgie is very effective in pick and roll situations when he is going to the basket, but when he was out there on the court, Pop would run other plays, like the one where he passes to the SG and runs to the corner. That is NOT going to help his development as a PG.

BackHome
04-11-2009, 01:15 PM
The dude is a rookie and it is not as though the guy was a top ten draft pick! The mistake Pop made was thinking the guy who played SG all of his life could switch position and suddenly be a good PG in the NBA. Duh.....Haven't we tried this before?

Maybe in a few years he will be but I don't know how many SG in college have been able to play PG in the NBA?

Either way if he wants to stay in the league the dude is going to have to work on his shot because his offense at this point is slightly better then Vaughn. And that is the reason he is not playing.....

cant run the point and cant score = bench

Muser
04-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Hardcore CIA Pop.

/Joke.

Fail. :(