PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Get A Leg Up

duncan228
04-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Spurs get a leg up (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_get_a_leg_up.html)
Jeff McDonald

Tim Duncan would like to correct the record when it comes to his health. He has not been playing on one leg, as Tony Parker told reporters earlier this week.

“That's an exaggeration,” Duncan said. “I feel like I've been playing on a half a leg.”

That Duncan could joke about his crotchety knees in the aftermath of the Spurs' 105-99 victory over Utah on Friday provided one sign as to how much better he felt.

Then Duncan showed it on the court at the AT&T Center, scoring 15 points, grabbing nine rebounds and looking more nimble than he did on Wednesday, when Gregg Popovich basically had to drag him off the floor by his collar in the fourth quarter of a loss to Portland.

“The one leg felt pretty good,” Duncan said.

When it came time to win a game that was as grueling as it was necessary, the Spurs turned to a player who seemed to be playing on four legs.

When Parker wasn't scooting by Deron Williams for a key three-point play in the fourth quarter, he was rattling in a midrange jumper to keep the Jazz honest.

Parker pumped in 31 points, 13 of which came from the foul line, to keep the Spurs from capsizing after giving up another big early lead. It was the 13th 30-point game of the season for Parker who, more than any player, has carried the Spurs through injuries to Duncan and Manu Ginobili.

With the victory, the Spurs moved into a tie with Houston for first place in the Southwest, pending the results of the Rockets' late game at Golden State. Portland's victory over the Lakers puts the Trail Blazers third in the West.

“We had better focus than we did the last game,” Popovich said. “That tenacity is important, especially against a team like Utah.”

As they did two nights earlier before losing to Portland, the Spurs jumped out to a large second-quarter lead (15 points), then squandered it. This time, the Spurs persevered.

“It was a mirror image of some of the games we lost,” said forward Drew Gooden, who had 14 points off the bench. “Up by lots of points early on, and teams come back. This time, we took it back over.”

After the Jazz pulled within 84-81 midway through the fourth quarter, Parker and Duncan combined for the next 14 points to help the Spurs go up by 10 heading into the final 1:23. They made six straight free throws in the last 11.6 seconds to hold on.

It was a big win for the Spurs, who were 5-5 in their previous 10 games before Friday night.

They survived 25 points and 10 assists from Williams, as well as 22 points and 10 rebounds from Mehmet Okur, to get it.

“It was a good win tonight, and it's definitely important to keep it going,” Duncan said. “Every win is important right now, but more than that (it's) just keeping our confidence up.”

Duncan could be considered a microcosm of that. He scored four points in the loss to Portland and was pulled from the game with seven minutes left after Popovich thought he looked a little too gimpy while chasing a loose ball.

Duncan arrived at the arena Friday with his head shaved to the scalp — a sure indication that he meant business — and having ditched the twin knee pads he'd been wearing since his bout with tendonosis in February.

He started spry, spinning past Mehmet Okur for a basket, then throwing in a straight-out-of-2001 14-foot hook off the glass.

Though his final line in the box score was nothing gaudy, Duncan certainly passed the eye test. He looked better, looked healthier, than he had against Portland.

“I felt good today,” Duncan said, setting the record straight.

Spursmania
04-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Good is better and better is best...Go Timmy!

Thomas82
04-11-2009, 08:33 AM
good is better and better is best...go timmy!

+1

Danny.Zhu
04-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Finally some good news...

Fundamentalist
04-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Hope this keeps on till the Playoffs start and he will be able to elevate his game once again where the games really matter...

duncan228
04-11-2009, 12:23 PM
The other side.

Recap - Utah Jazz @ San Antonio Spurs (http://www.slcdunk.com/2009/4/11/830711/recap-utah-jazz-san-antonio-spurs)
by Basketball John

Credit the Jazz for not getting blow out after getting down by 15 with 7:09 left in the second quarter. Things sure seemed like they were heading that way after San Antonio came out of the gates on fire and the Jazz shooting in the mid 30s.

Roger Mason started out the game with a missed three-pointer. Then the Spurs went on to hit their next 9 shots. The only thing that kept the game even reasonble was some steals by the Jazz and other turnovers by the Spurs.

The final shot of those 9 in a row came from a Bruce Bowen three-pointer that put the Spurs up 8. With the majority of the second teams in, the Jazz were able to close the gap some by playing some good D including a block on Tim Duncan by Memo. Bad leg or not, it's always enjoyable to see Tim getting stuffed.

As the Spurs built up their lead in the second quarter, it sure had the feel of becoming yet another embarassing game. The Jazz were able to put together a 9-1 run to cut it to 7 and it stayed pretty close to that to the break.

The third quarter saw the Jazz tie it up twice, once at 57-57 and again at 69-69. We just couldn't break through.

Here's where the Spurs earned this win. They held off the Jazz every time they made a run. We had plenty of opportunities to take the lead in the third and couldn't make it happen. It was our own fault on the offensive end. We got the shots we wanted but couldn't convert them when we needed to.

I thought we played great on D in the third quarter, the Spurs just hit their shots and won the game. While Tony Parker and his 31 points were on the bench, Roger Mason, (you know, the guy who missed those threes to start the game) hit two threes to start the fourth just after Memo had hit a shot to cut the lead to two, 76-78. The first came after Deron had fell down after getting picked. Mason was at least three feet behind the arc and drained it. The second came after he dribbled around for about 5 minutes and then just jacked one up. Those back to back three pointers essentially became the difference to end the game.

The rest of San Antonio's night was just like that. I counted no less than three shots that clanged off the front of the iron for them, went straight up in the air, and came back down and went in. Parker was driving and flipping the ball in the general vicinity of the basket and getting it to go in. Who knows, a few of those rim and maybe it's a different ballgame.

So while talk of streak now continues, somehow the place doesn't scare me as much. I thought we had a good chance to win the game while watching. Had the Jazz not come into this game having had a total meltdown in Dallas, we may have just chalked this game up to being a tough loss.

But the unfortunate reality is right now we're in the 8th spot and even if we win out, we need some help from other teams to jump past the Mavs and Hornets. That's bad news because we don't get help when we need it.

Other notes

* Remember when AK was hitting jumpers earlier this season? Yeah, me neither.

* I couldn't belive Boozer played 33 minutes. I swear he was going to be in the mid-20s.

* Matt Bonner only had one three and 5 points and we still lost.

* It's nice to be going into the playoffs with no expectations whatsoever.

* Don't count on the Lakers laying down for the last game of the season. You know Kobe would love to stick it to the Jazz.

* in 2007 we finished the season playing the Rockets and then turned around and played them in the first round. Last year, we played the Rockets in the second to last game and played them again. This year, we finish with the Lakers.

* Drew Gooden. How do the Spurs continue to do this? Every year, a mid-level guy gets release by another team and goes to the Spurs and becomes a huge contributor. They're able to come into a brand new system and play like they've been there 10 years. Remarkable.

* Here's my way-out-there specualtion on why team chemistry seems shot. I would say there was a huge dust-up between Boozer and Millsap. Booze feels threatened and some harmless words were spoken by someone about Booze's play (Millsap?), Booze took it personal, and it blew up from there. You have the Booze "I'm a starter, period" talk that he gave to Boler. And you have Boozer trying to maintain alpha-dog status on a team that he's been a self-proclaimed leader.