PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Duncan: Tendonosis 'Almost Gone'

duncan228
04-11-2009, 12:20 AM
Duncan: Tendonosis 'almost gone' (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/04/duncan-tendonos.html)
By Jeff McDonald

An upbeat Tim Duncan said after tonight's victory over Utah that the tendonosis that has plagued his right knee for more than a month is starting to show signs of dissipating.

For the first time since mid-February, Duncan did not play with a brace on that knee. He wore one on his left knee, as he has since underdoing surgery on it after the 1999-2000 season.

"I'm getting my right leg back," Duncan said. "It (the pain) is basically gone, so it was good to be out there without a brace on and kind of play well."

Duncan scored 14 points on 5-of-11 shooting and grabbed nine rebounds against the Jazz. It came two nights after he managed just four points in a loss to Portland, in which Gregg Popovich had to pull him out of the game in the fourth quarter due to health concerns.

"I felt a lot better tonight," Duncan said. "It was good to have a day off and come out here and run up and down and have a lot less pain."

duncan228
04-11-2009, 12:20 AM
:elephant

Amuseddaysleeper
04-11-2009, 12:21 AM

+100000000000000

SpursPreacher
04-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Yes hopefully its gone by playoff time.

timvp
Believe, mufvkas.

Believe.

:smokin

Sean Cagney
Timmmayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!! Go get em boy! Give em hell!

Frenzy
04-11-2009, 12:23 AM
good sign!

VI_Massive
04-11-2009, 12:24 AM
This is great news but confusing......how could he look so bad the other night and yet its almost gone?

SpursPreacher
04-11-2009, 12:24 AM
I dont care how its gone or going as long as it is.

timvp
04-11-2009, 12:25 AM
"I'm getting my right leg back," Duncan said. "It (the pain) is basically gone, so it was good to be out there without a brace on and kind of play well."

"I felt a lot better tonight," Duncan said. "It was good to have a day off and come out here and run up and down and have a lot less pain."
That sound you just heard was the rest of the Western Conference checking the standings to figure out how to avoid the Spurs in the first round.

NewJerSpur
Beast mode time Timmy, beast mode.

HarlemHeat37
this is the best possible news we can get..

he definitely looked better tonight, he just made a lot of bad decisions..

timvp
04-11-2009, 12:27 AM
This is great news but confusing......how could he look so bad the other night and yet its almost gone?It's a tricky ailment. From what I've read it's degenerative but the pain and the weakness associated with tendonosis can appear or disappear overnight.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Man, it would be awesome to creep back up and snag the #3 seed!

Spursmania
04-11-2009, 12:28 AM
Wow, tendonosis just doesn't go away. I'm confused.
But if Tim says he's pain free, then he's pain free.

Yeah, baby!!! Let's make some noise in the Playoffs.:smokin

duncan228
04-11-2009, 12:30 AM
He did look better, but I'm still concerned about the second half of games. He seems to lose something after halftime. I hope they do something to keep him warm/loose. I've noticed it in a few games, he starts strong and doesn't seem to be able to maintain it the whole game.

His mental lapses don't worry me as much. I said it in the game blog; we know how brilliant he is on the court. He'll beat himself up for mental lapses and correct them. His knees aren't that easy to fix, I'm thrilled with what he said tonight. I needed to hear it from him.

One more time...

baseline bum
04-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Nice.

HarlemHeat37
04-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Duncan's mental lapses aren't a big deal to me at all..he's ALWAYS had games where he makes bad decisions, specifically with his shot selection..you see most of them when he gets blocked on some of his bad decisions on attempts..

TheDarkSide.
04-11-2009, 12:32 AM
don't want to jinx it, but it's starting to look like the same old story, spurs creeping up under the radar.
Woo.

GSH
The title is a misleading load of horse shit. Tim says that the pain has subsided, which is fine - it's his knee. But tendinosis doesn't disappear. I hope Tim, Pop, and the medical staff keep that in mind. However far this team goes in the playoffs, it's over when Tim is.

Amuseddaysleeper
He did look better, but I'm still concerned about the second half of games. He seems to lose something after halftime. I hope they do something to keep him warm/loose. I've noticed it in a few games, he starts strong and doesn't seem to be able to maintain it the whole game.

His mental lapses don't worry me as much. I said it in the game blog; we know how brilliant he is on the court. He'll beat himself up for mental lapses and correct them. His knees aren't that easy to fix, I'm thrilled with what he said tonight. I needed to hear it from him.

One more time...

Could it just be fatigue at this point since his minutes have been so closely monitored?

Manufan909
04-11-2009, 12:34 AM
It's a tricky ailment. From what I've read it's degenerative but the pain and the weakness associated with tendonosis can appear or disappear overnight.

Indeed, it's impossible to just "fade away". Whatever Timmy is smoking, it must be some good shit. Not to be the gloomy realist, but if he really has tendinosis, it'll pop up when it damn well feels like it. I just hope KT and Gooden can help spell DUNCAN until the WCFs.
:flag:

VI_Massive
04-11-2009, 12:34 AM
It's a tricky ailment. From what I've read it's degenerative but the pain and the weakness associated with tendonosis can appear or disappear overnight.

So it could come back? Meaning its not really over?

TDomination
04-11-2009, 12:35 AM
knowing that there is no back to backs in the playoffs is great.

jag
04-11-2009, 12:35 AM
It's a miracle...D-Rob must have been praying for it.

All the Spurs need now is for Manu to spontaneously throw off his boot and miraculously find his ankles in 2005-form.

A healthy Duncan is paramount if the Spurs intend to make a run...best news i've heard all day.

SpursPreacher
04-11-2009, 12:36 AM
I smell a possum.

timvp
04-11-2009, 12:39 AM
So it could come back? Meaning its not really over?It definitely can. But the Spurs and Duncan just have to hope that they can get a two month span of health.

NewJerSpur
04-11-2009, 12:41 AM
It definitely can. But the Spurs and Duncan just have to hope that they can get a two month span of health.

:tu

bigdog
04-11-2009, 12:42 AM
Tim looked much better tonight, but don't get over excited about what he says. I'm extremely optimistic but you never know with injuries.

duncan228
04-11-2009, 12:43 AM
Could it just be fatigue at this point since his minutes have been so closely monitored?

I guess it could be. There's no way to know. I'll take his word that he feels better and hope we see him rise like we know he can. We need him to if the team is going to get anywhere.

Spursmania
04-11-2009, 12:45 AM
I smell a possum.

I hear you.:hat

duncan228
04-11-2009, 12:46 AM
And, GSH is right. Duncan didn't say the tendonosis is almost gone, he said the pain is 'basically' gone.

We all know to read McDonald carefully.

GSH
04-11-2009, 12:46 AM

+1. And hopefully more than 1 day between rounds.

Spursmania
04-11-2009, 12:47 AM
And, GSH is right. Duncan didn't say the tendonosis is almost gone, he said the pain is 'basically' gone.

We all know to read McDonald carefully.

You have a very good point. And, that would make more sense.

VI_Massive
04-11-2009, 12:48 AM
+1. And hopefully more than 1 day between rounds.

and functioning aircraft.

NewJerSpur
04-11-2009, 12:49 AM
and functioning aircraft.

And no 7-game series...let's get these bad boys over with early!!

Spursmania
04-11-2009, 12:50 AM
A lot of those teams barely beat us with Timmy on one leg. Watch out those who want to play us first round. This is going to be good.

By the way, I love Duncan's shaved head look. I think they should all shave their heads, including Matt Bonner and Mason.:lol

Destro
04-11-2009, 12:50 AM
I smell a possum.

Yep, this is counter intelligence

tlongII
04-11-2009, 12:51 AM
I hope Duncan is healthy for the playoffs. He's a great player and one of my favorites in the league.

wildbill2u
04-11-2009, 12:52 AM
Duncan: Tendonosis 'almost gone' (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/04/duncan-tendonos.html)
By Jeff McDonald

An upbeat Tim Duncan said after tonight's victory over Utah that the tendonosis that has plagued his right knee for more than a month is starting to show signs of dissipating.

For the first time since mid-February, Duncan did not play with a brace on that knee. He wore one on his left knee, as he has since underdoing surgery on it after the 1999-2000 season.

Duncan scored 14 points on 5-of-11 shooting and grabbed nine rebounds against the Jazz. It came two nights after he managed just four points in a loss to Portland, in which Gregg Popovich had to pull him out of the game in the fourth quarter due to health concerns.

I don't believe it. Tim is just giving it the old college try and trying to psych Pop out. He wants to play because he knows the team needs him.

NewJerSpur
04-11-2009, 12:55 AM
I don't believe it. Tim is just giving it the old college try and trying to psych Pop out. He wants to play because he knows the team needs him.

Doesn't matter....if he looks bad on the court Pop will yank'em. And it's EXTREMELY difficult to fake good health when constantly applying stress/pressure to an injured area. If he says he's good to go, I'm with him.

timvp
04-11-2009, 12:58 AM
If TD were going to lie so he could play more games, he would have done so before three games are left in the season. Lying now doesn't change much of anything.

EricB
04-11-2009, 01:01 AM
Hopefully it can have his knees feel good for Sacramento and Golden State.

The Spurs need to desperately win out.

duncan228
04-11-2009, 01:02 AM
That sound you just heard was the rest of the Western Conference checking the standings to figure out how to avoid the Spurs in the first round.

Followed closely by the sound of Spurs Nation letting out a sigh of relief.

pad300
04-11-2009, 01:04 AM

One more time...

Pass the following on :

http://cozywinters.com/shop/heated-knee-wrap.html

Wear for the 15 minutes of half time... Knees will not cool down and get stiff.

TDfan2007
04-11-2009, 01:37 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.

In that first quarter Tim looked as good as he has all season. The last 3 quarters were basically garbage. Prove me wrong Tim!

polandprzem
04-11-2009, 01:42 AM
Hopefully it's true and hopefully Tim can shake off that bad performances he had.

NuGGeTs-FaN
04-11-2009, 01:44 AM
big deal, Duncan can't keep up with Nene :smokin :lol

Fernando TD21
04-11-2009, 01:45 AM
This is great news. I don't think his tendonosis is just going to disappear, but if he can feel comfortable enough to start playing like the old Duncan, then the Spurs have a chance.

coldsweat
04-11-2009, 01:54 AM
yesss!!!

EricB
04-11-2009, 02:07 AM
Duncan in that first quarter pretty much dictated what he wanted.

Utah played good D on him and Okur has always given him fits. The 6 turnovers were a case of Duncan just not calming the hell down.

If Gooden or Thomas or Bonner would've helped out on the rebounding side, the game would've been alot less closer.

Blackjack
04-11-2009, 02:08 AM
If TD were going to lie so he could play more games, he would have done so before three games are left in the season. Lying now doesn't change much of anything.

I don't think it's about lying, as much as it is, the pain being much more tolerable than excruciating.

Listening to Sean (Elliott) talk about how the tendonosis affected him, and how having 2-3 days in-between games felt like a week of rest for him, It almost makes you think that playing the Lakers in the first round, (considering how long the first round is drawn out for t.v. purposes) might be the best way to go.

I've pretty much accepted the fact that a title isn't going to happen this year, given the circumstances, but if the Spurs could play the Lakers before they hit full-stride, and have the extra time in-between games for Tim (that the first round provides) it sure wouldn't suck to send the Lakers home.

Granted, it's not a championship, but it's probably the next best thing.

I don't see any of this happening, since I don't see the Spurs dropping to the 8 seed, but Sean's perspective made me think about it.

duncan228
04-11-2009, 02:11 AM
The 6 turnovers were a case of Duncan just not calming the hell down.

That was Duncan's take on it.

“A little too excited, I guess,” he said of his errant throws. “I don't know what it was. They were jumping in passing lanes, and after they got a couple of deflections, a couple of my later passes were high and outside. But at least they were doubling me, and we were finding shooters and moving the ball. I'll get a little bit better and we can get back to playing basketball with double teams and getting open shots for shooters.”

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122398

timvp
04-11-2009, 02:14 AM
I don't see the Spurs dropping to the 8 seedToday's win clinched a top seven seed. One more win clinches at worst the fifth seed.

(Looking at the tie-breakers, the Spurs basically have already clinched at worst the 5th seed unless something crazy happens. They could lose out and still likely get the fifth seed. And they very well could win out and still get the fifth seed. [Hopefully Pop isn't reading this.])

TheDarkSide.
04-11-2009, 02:17 AM
Today's win clinched a top seven seed. One more win clinches at worst the fifth seed.

(Looking at the tie-breakers, the Spurs basically have already clinched at worst the 5th seed unless something crazy happens. They could lose out and still likely get the fifth seed. And they very well could win out and still get the fifth seed. [Hopefully Pop isn't reading this.])

i hope we get that 3rd seed and blazers go to 4 or 5, maybe they can take some of the wind out of the lakers sails in round 2.

Blackjack
04-11-2009, 02:19 AM
Today's win clinched a top seven seed. One more win clinches at worst the fifth seed.

Yeah, but according to Sean, if Pop would just sign him for the rest of the season, he'd guarantee the Spurs a spot in the lottery.:lol

On a serious note, whatever seed it takes, I'll take the Jazz or Rockets.

Wouldn't be all that worried about N.O. either, especially if the Spurs have home-court, but I'd like to avoid Paul and his theartrics, if at all possible.

Mel_13
04-11-2009, 02:26 AM

Actually a top-6 seed since the Mavs and Hornets play on Sunday, the loser will have 32 losses. If Dallas wins, the Spurs can't finish lower than fifth. The only scenario where the Spurs finish 6th is if they lose out while the Hornets win out. As you said, a top-5 seed is almost certain.

HarlemHeat37
04-11-2009, 02:28 AM
if Duncan can continue to feel better, if we get the 3rd seed, and if Portland/Houston is the 4/5 matchup, this will be an entertaining playoffs for Spurs fans..considering the circumstances..

Texas_Ranger
04-11-2009, 02:30 AM
great news:)

TheDarkSide.
04-11-2009, 02:38 AM
if Duncan can continue to feel better, if we get the 3rd seed, and if Portland/Houston is the 4/5 matchup, this will be an entertaining playoffs for Spurs fans..considering the circumstances..

Blazers Spurs in the WCF is what i'm hoping for, memorial day miracle

timvp
04-11-2009, 02:39 AM
Actually a top-6 seed since the Mavs and Hornets play on Sunday, the loser will have 32 losses. If Dallas wins, the Spurs can't finish lower than fifth. The only scenario where the Spurs finish 6th is if they lose out while the Hornets win out. As you said, a top-5 seed is almost certain.Good point. Thanks for looking at it.

I was going to welcome you to the forum but saw you registered in 2006. :wow I guess I will welcome you to more frequent postings, then.

Mel_13
04-11-2009, 02:44 AM
Good point. Thanks for looking at it.

I was going to welcome you to the forum but saw you registered in 2006. :wow I guess I will welcome you to more frequent postings, then.

Thanks...actually been reading since the 2005 playoffs. This site has been my first and best stop for Spurs info since then. Finally decided to see if I could contribute something every now and then.

timvp
04-11-2009, 02:49 AM
Thanks...actually been reading since the 2005 playoffs. This site has been my first and best stop for Spurs info since then. Finally decided to see if I could contribute something every now and then.

Impressive quality-to-noise ratio through 31 posts :tu

Mel_13
04-11-2009, 02:55 AM
Impressive quality-to-noise ratio through 31 posts :tu

Yeah, while some of the delusional ramblings that appear in some threads (usually following a bad loss) are a great source of amusement, I think I'll stick to the subjects and comments that are more firmly based in reality. You and your wife seem to do just fine in keeping the noise to a tolerable level.

holcs50
04-11-2009, 03:58 AM
Beast mode time Timmy, beast mode.

Fuck yea bro! BEast mode activated! Timmy is going to be owning some people come the first round.

crc21209
04-11-2009, 03:58 AM
Everybody cross your fingers. :tu This is some damn good news.

holcs50
04-11-2009, 04:21 AM
I also really hope we win 2 out of last 3 and Houston loses both theirs. They got NO at home which should be close and then dallas away-think dallas will take them. I think we gotta win this back to back some how-two beatable teams-we'll see. Gotta get that 3rd seed though cuz IF we make it out of first round i really reallly really reallly reallly reallly reallly dont want to play the fagget fakers. I cant stand another year of all my bros getting in my face about lakers-spurs shit. Sometimes livin in socal is fuckin annoying, haha.

Muser
04-11-2009, 04:54 AM
Imagine if Duncan can get in his usual beast playoff mode, then add that to TP beasting it up this season. Now that's a duo you don't want to face.

Bruno
04-11-2009, 06:17 AM
Well, it's a quite surprising news but ti's a good one.
It could turn into a great one if Tim doesn't have setbacks.

Thomas82
04-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Yes hopefully its gone by playoff time.

Then we can start to see the real Tim Duncan.

Spursmania
04-11-2009, 08:05 AM
With tendonosis there will always be setbacks. Once he starts playing heavy minutes, we will see him laboring out there and playing in pain. Tendonosis just doesn't go away and it's fool's gold to think it has. But, I'm happy as long as Tim is happy. We all know a healthy Tim and Parker can be lethal indeed!

Spurs Brazil
04-11-2009, 08:16 AM
GREAT news

McDonald is wrong again.

TD played without a brace in the right knee in the game against the Thunder

And the brace in his left knee he played a lot with it in 2001 season after the surgery but after that he played with the brace only in some games before using a lot this season.

Thomas82
04-11-2009, 08:17 AM
With tendonosis there will always be setbacks. Once he starts playing heavy minutes, we will see him laboring out there and playing in pain. Tendonosis just doesn't go away and it's fool's gold to think it has. But, I'm happy as long as Tim is happy. We all know a healthy Tim and Parker can be lethal indeed!

I think he'll hold up OK, considering that there are no back to backs in the playoffs, and the first round seems to drag out longer than the other ones.

Spursmania
04-11-2009, 08:19 AM
I think he'll hold up OK, considering that there are no back to backs in the playoffs, and the first round seems to drag out longer than the other ones.

That would be great!:toast

Solid D
04-11-2009, 08:33 AM
The pain is almost gone, does not = "tenendosis almost gone". That is a poor title to that article and a very non-medical assumption.

Sean Elliott says knee tendenosis is sometimes like "running on steak knives" until you get it repaired. Tim hasn't exactly had a lot of down time for his body to repair. I don't rule out the healing power of God, in fact I trust in it, but the article title assumes too much.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-11-2009, 08:40 AM
The ultimate CIA ploy?

Now watch Manu show up for the playoffs against the Lakers ;)

Thomas82
04-11-2009, 08:41 AM
The ultimate CIA ploy?

Now watch Manu show up for the playoffs against the Lakers ;)

That would be nice, but I have already accepted that it's over for him this season.

ploto
04-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Unfortunately, the pain could come back just as quickly.

Maybe it is a ploy to sell play-off tickets! :lol

1Parker1
04-11-2009, 10:46 AM

Not sure if he's lying so much as maybe he just wants to get the attention off his injury in the hopes that the Spurs and fans can still have confidence in them. It's hard for me to believe that all of a sudden he's suddenly pain free after wearing 2 braces...I mean, it's not like he's gotten much rest either.

However, I will be the first to hope that he isn't lying and he is 100%. I still think the Spurs can win a round or maybe even 2 depending on the matchups and if key role players (i.e. Finley, Bonner, Mason Jr.) get on a hot shooting streak at the right time.

Dex
04-11-2009, 12:11 PM
:elephant :elephant :elephant

Finally, some GOOD Spurs related news.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Hooray for Cortisone! Hooray!!!

SpursDynasty
04-11-2009, 02:46 PM

There are no back-to-backs in the playoffs unless you're Dallas or Sacramento on May 10 and May 11 of 2003

Mavs<Spurs
04-11-2009, 02:48 PM

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122398

“A little too excited, I guess,” he said of his errant throws. “I don't know what it was. They were jumping in passing lanes, and after they got a couple of deflections, a couple of my later passes were high and outside. But at least they were doubling me, and we were finding shooters and moving the ball. I'll get a little bit better and we can get back to playing basketball with double teams and getting open shots for shooters.”

It is imperative for Duncan to force double teams if we are to win.
So, this is extremely encouraging ! I am cautiously optimistic and way encouraged by what Timmy said. Thank God !

If true, then the Spurs have some chance at winning some rounds, obviously.

Mavs<Spurs
04-11-2009, 04:38 PM

:lol

exstatic
04-11-2009, 05:42 PM
There are no back-to-backs in the playoffs unless you're Dallas or Sacramento on May 10 and May 11 of 2003

Or SA, finishing up the Hornet's series game 7 and sleeping on a plane before flying into LA last year for game 1.

There are B2Bs in the Playoffs when the NBA needs for there to be.

Budkin
04-11-2009, 06:44 PM
A healthy Timmy in the playoffs = no one count us out!

Thomas82
04-11-2009, 10:48 PM
A healthy Timmy in the playoffs = no one count us out!

It would be a mistake if they did.

nz_spur
04-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Few! *breathes a sigh of relief*

:flag: :lobt2:

blizz
04-11-2009, 11:53 PM
manufan...WHO is that in your sig???

Spurs_9_20_21
04-12-2009, 12:01 AM
thank ya lawd!!! hopefully he's better by playoff time and he's a beast!!!