PDA

View Full Version : So who has jailbroken their iPhones?

Heath Ledger
04-11-2009, 03:54 AM
Anyone else besides me? If you don't have installous it is a must have app, you can get 90 percent of the apps in the app store for free, i try them out and if I like an app i go to apple and buy it. Ive paid for 7 or 8 apps so far.

Cry Havoc
04-11-2009, 09:42 AM
I have. It's a pretty sweet deal. I'm using it right now as my primary internet source, actually.

resistanze
04-11-2009, 12:21 PM
I haven't used Installous in 6 months because it was buggy back then. I just sync apps to my itunes.

What I love most is the customization, here is my theme right now.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8316/phototba.jpghttp://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6452/photo2uqf.jpghttp://img21.imageshack.us/img21/5725/repi.jpg

ManuTP9
04-12-2009, 09:58 AM
i did but then the shit bricked

mFFL03
04-12-2009, 12:13 PM
i did but then the shit bricked

I was thinking about doing the $100 iphone refurb (3g 8gb) deal online, then unlocking and cancelling service.

There for $275-300 is much cheaper than buying the actual set new or at full price.

However, I need a little more info unlocking wise. Are phones still being bricked? Is at&t threatening people with updates? I heard they are making it harder to unlock phones by making you activate at the store?

Can you still unlock a phone after it has been activated?

Cry Havoc
04-12-2009, 01:45 PM
I was thinking about doing the $100 iphone refurb (3g 8gb) deal online, then unlocking and cancelling service.

There for $275-300 is much cheaper than buying the actual set new or at full price.

However, I need a little more info unlocking wise. Are phones still being bricked? Is at&t threatening people with updates? I heard they are making it harder to unlock phones by making you activate at the store?

Can you still unlock a phone after it has been activated?

I can't answer the unlocking, but jailbreaking is a cinch.

lefty
04-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Fuck Iphone :lol

But seriously, converting a movie to put it on the Iphone can take up to 1 hour

mFFL03
04-12-2009, 06:22 PM
I can't answer the unlocking, but jailbreaking is a cinch.

Hmm...what's the difference?

Cry Havoc
04-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Hmm...what's the difference?

Unlocking an iPhone means that you can use the phone with any carrier, as in T-Mobile or Verizon.

Jailbreaking means that you are releasing the iPhone from Apple's copyright protection, allowing any programs written for the iPhone to be installed, using an alternative installation program called Cydia.

Some App Store applications will not work with a jailbroken phone. That being said, the range of abilities you have with the iPhone afterward makes it well worth it.

leemajors
04-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Fuck Iphone :lol

But seriously, converting a movie to put it on the Iphone can take up to 1 hour

i can convert 720p rips in 30-45 mins, and they look great streamed through component in 480i to my TV. not sure what shit software you are using.

lefty
04-12-2009, 11:08 PM
i can convert 720p rips in 30-45 mins, and they look great streamed through component in 480i to my TV. not sure what shit software you are using.
What great software are you using ?

leemajors
04-13-2009, 10:50 AM
either handbrake or videora iPod converter.

lefty
04-13-2009, 10:57 AM
either handbrake or videora iPod converter.

rold50
04-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Unlocking an iPhone means that you can use the phone with any carrier, as in T-Mobile or Verizon.

Jailbreaking means that you are releasing the iPhone from Apple's copyright protection, allowing any programs written for the iPhone to be installed, using an alternative installation program called Cydia.

Some App Store applications will not work with a jailbroken phone. That being said, the range of abilities you have with the iPhone afterward makes it well worth it.

Actually, you can't use it for verizon because Verizon uses a different technology (CDMA). An unlock iPhone can be used with any carrier that uses GSM technology.

Cry Havoc
04-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Actually, you can't use it for verizon because Verizon uses a different technology (CDMA). An unlock iPhone can be used with any carrier that uses GSM technology.

Nice catch. Admittedly I know very little about unlocking.

resistanze
04-13-2009, 02:52 PM
I have the first generation iPhone, which wasn't sold in Canada. So of course, i had to unlock it.

I think it's nearly impossible now to brick a phone while unlocking/jailbreaking (same program now). There are on-screen instructions that guide your every step.

I know in the past you couldn't soft-unlock the iPhone 3G (meaning you needed some type of hardware mod). But I'm pretty sure there's an app (yellowsnow?) that lets you unlock it now.

DarkReign
04-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Sheesh, the world has passed me by completely, I see.

You kids and youre screwy toys. Get off my lawn!

BTW, just got a 3G iPhone this past week. Fucking rocks...dont care what anyone else thinks.

resistanze
04-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Sheesh, the world has passed me by completely, I see.

You kids and youre screwy toys. Get off my lawn!

BTW, just got a 3G iPhone this past week. Fucking rocks...dont care what anyone else thinks.

:tu

Always good to see the elderly embracing technology! :lol

Seriously though, try going back to a normal cell phone after the iPhone. You can't.

mFFL03
04-13-2009, 09:28 PM
yeah i would get one, except they are going for crazy prices on ebay, used and broken!

although they are selling refurb ones online for cheap through att. Probably because they are going to roll out the new ones in about 4 months.

Purple & Gold
04-14-2009, 01:05 PM
yeah i would get one, except they are going for crazy prices on ebay, used and broken!

although they are selling refurb ones online for cheap through att. Probably because they are going to roll out the new ones in about 4 months.

I think the new one is coming out in June or July. The 3g will be able to upgrade to the new stuff but the 1st gen won't. I'd wait to see what the new one looks like and what it has.

Heath Ledger
04-15-2009, 06:48 AM
My gf hates my iphone because Im always on it. It's like crack for me.

mFFL03
04-15-2009, 11:34 PM
I think the new one is coming out in June or July. The 3g will be able to upgrade to the new stuff but the 1st gen won't. I'd wait to see what the new one looks like and what it has.

yah, but I'm keeping an eye on the G2 too.....

DynastyBuilder
07-27-2009, 10:52 PM
What apps do you all have for your jailbroken iphones? Right now I only have cycorder and qik, everything else came from the app store before I jailbroke. Just trying to see what everyone else likes/recommends. Thanks!

Cry Havoc
07-28-2009, 12:33 AM
What apps do you all have for your jailbroken iphones? Right now I only have cycorder and qik, everything else came from the app store before I jailbroke. Just trying to see what everyone else likes/recommends. Thanks!

PDAnet.

It's $30, but it's literally one of the best programs I've ever owned.

Heath Ledger
07-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Hey havoc do you know if your ip is dynamic with your 3g connection or does it stay the same every time you connect? Can you check for me? I need this for ebay (pda.net) but need a different Ip.

Cry Havoc
07-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Hey havoc do you know if your ip is dynamic with your 3g connection or does it stay the same every time you connect? Can you check for me? I need this for ebay (pda.net) but need a different Ip.

I think it's dynamic, but I can't be sure. Here's the PDAnet page, I'm sure you can ask them:

http://www.junefabrics.com/iphone/

Heath Ledger
07-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Are you on ATT with your tether? Theres a chance they might bill you for that eventually. I found a hack the enables the tether feature without buying pdanet but its possible AT*T will charge my ass for it.

HOw long you been using it if you are on AT T?

resistanze
07-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Does your provider charge you for tethering? How much?

I can't tether on my phone unless you have a data plan of more than 1GB. I have a 500mb plan.

ElNono
07-28-2009, 02:58 PM
I've done USB tethering on my iPhone 3G (AT&T) with a mix of Proxifier and an apps for the Mac and iPhone I wrote myself, about a year ago. I used it to watch about 3 or 4 NBA LP broadband games on my old powerbook. They never billed me extra for that.
I just don't know much about the inner workings of the 'official' way, which is currently still unsupported by AT&T, and I'm sure they will want to bill extra for that when they enable it. So, YMMV.

Cry Havoc
07-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Are you on ATT with your tether? Theres a chance they might bill you for that eventually. I found a hack the enables the tether feature without buying pdanet but its possible AT*T will charge my ass for it.

HOw long you been using it if you are on AT T?

Yeah, it's pretty easy to hack, but I didn't mind paying $30 for something that's SO simple like PDAnet. I just download the program, click "connect", and I'm online in half a second (using the USB tether is MUCH better than setting your iPhone to function as a wifi router).

There's a chance, but it's not a very good one. I'm pretty confident they won't do anything about it until at LEAST they provide their own tethering service. Then I'll see what to do about it.

I was surfing last night on my 3G connection and I got a download speed of 250kbps. Freakin' impressive for a tethered connection.

PDAnet also works with the 3.0 jailbreak. As soon as I get home, I'm doing that.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-16-2010, 12:50 PM
So, I have a question for the jailbreakers. Do any of you guys/gals experince any weirdness with your phone after you jailbreak it? I used blackra1n. The past couple of days it was acting very buggy. It shut off while I was in the middle of something. The screen turned like it was a scrambled channel then off. With a full battery. Then 2 days ago it said there was no room in my phone when there was at least 3 gigs available. When I hooked it up to iTunes it didn't even recognize it. It went straight to the Restore prompt. I didn't feel like messing with it so now I'm running 3.1.3 which sucks cuz geohot isn't writing a crack for that version. I heard about the exploit via OpenSSH but I don't know if I fell victim to that. Didn't do all that an extensive search for it but I couldn't find anything. When I first thought about jailbreaking I did my research like all the nervous people do but I never found anything that jailbreaking "messed" up your phone. Ahem. Oh excuse me. I'm talking about within the past two years cuz I know there were plenty of issues when jailbreaking first came available. Any thoughts or experiences with any of this?

2Blonde
04-06-2010, 05:59 PM
I don't understand too much of this but I have a question. My daughter bought a locked un-jailbroken 3G w/3.1.3 firmware. We use t=Mobil, so obviously we have to jailbreak & unlock it. What I am reading online says I have to downgrade the firmware to 3.1.2 before I do anything or it will revert back to locked at some point. How do I do this? do I have to insert her sim card from tmobil before I do it? Right now when I turn it on all I get is "no sim card installed" & an itunes icon. Or is there someone on here who can do this for her? If so, how much? Help.

resistanze
04-23-2010, 08:54 AM
I don't understand too much of this but I have a question. My daughter bought a locked un-jailbroken 3G w/3.1.3 firmware. We use t=Mobil, so obviously we have to jailbreak & unlock it. What I am reading online says I have to downgrade the firmware to 3.1.2 before I do anything or it will revert back to locked at some point. How do I do this? do I have to insert her sim card from tmobil before I do it? Right now when I turn it on all I get is "no sim card installed" & an itunes icon. Or is there someone on here who can do this for her? If so, how much? Help.

I haven't been keeping up to date on jailbreaking lately but I think if you've already upgraded to 3.1.3, you can longer downgrade - Apple has blocked this option. It might be the reason the person sold it off in the first place. There is no reliable jailbreak for 3.1.3 to date. You can try sn0wbreeze, but i heard it's hit-and-miss with this program.

EDIT: That doesn't solve your unlocking issue. AFIAK, there is no unlocking option yet for 3.1.3.

PM5K
04-23-2010, 03:30 PM
I think it can be unlocked if the baseband hasn't been updated to 05.11.07 or newer. You can check this by going to Settings > General > About: Modem Firmware

However, as resistanze said, it was probably sold because it was updated and not unlockable. When you buy a phone not designed to run on the network you intend to run it on, you really have to do your homework first.

EDIT: Some of what I've read indicates you *might* be able to do it. In all honesty, it's probably better if you find someone on Craigslist to do it for you.

You have to be careful not do update the baseband.

DannyT
05-07-2010, 06:42 PM
looking to tether the iphone, any updates on this? And can it be done with out jailbreaking? I tried a couple websites that have you load a config but no luck. I believe I am sitting at the latest firmware.

preciate it