PDA

View Full Version : 5-Year-Old Cuffed After School Outburst

desflood
03-18-2005, 03:11 PM
St. Petersburg 5-year-old cuffed after school outburst
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — A 5-year-old girl was arrested, cuffed and put in back of a police cruiser after an outburst at school where she threw books and boxes, kicked a teacher in the shins, smashed a candy dish, hit an assistant principal in the stomach and drew on the walls.

The students were counting jelly beans as part of a math exercise at Fairmount Park Elementary School when the little girl began acting silly. That's when her teacher took away her jelly beans, outraging the child.

Minutes later, the 40-pound girl was in the back of a police cruiser, under arrest for battery. Her hands were bound with plastic ties, her ankles in handcuffs.

"I don't want to go to jail," she said moments after her arrest Monday.

No charges were filed and the girl went home with her mother.

While police say their actions were proper, school officials were not pleased with the outcome.

"We never want to have 5-year-old children arrested," said Michael Bessette, the district's Area III superintendent.

The district's campus police should have been called to help and not local police, he said.

Bessette said campus police routinely deal with children and are trained to calm them in such situations.

Under the district's code of student conduct, students are to be suspended for 10 days and recommended for expulsion for unprovoked attacks, even if they don't result in serious injury. But district spokesman Ron Stone said that rule wouldn't apply to kindergartners.

"She's been appropriately disciplined under the circumstances," he said.

The girl's mother, Inda Akins, said she is consulting an attorney.

"She's never going back to that school," Akins said. "They set my baby up."

___

MannyIsGod
03-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Overeact much?

bigzak25
03-18-2005, 03:17 PM
while i do think cuffing and taking away a 5 year old girl is extreme, the mothers response is textbook.

schools at fault...i got my lawyer on the phone.

that is sad.

MannyIsGod
03-18-2005, 03:18 PM
Man, you'd better believe if I found my 5 year old child handcuffed and in the back of a police car I'd be on the phone with Johnny Cochran.

SHE'S FIVE YEARS OLD!

bigzak25
03-18-2005, 03:20 PM
and? maybe she learned a lesson.

travis2
03-18-2005, 03:23 PM
"They set my baby up"????

Ummmmmm....no.

SpursWoman
03-18-2005, 03:23 PM
Man, you'd better believe if I found my 5 year old child handcuffed and in the back of a police car I'd be on the phone with Johnny Cochran.

SHE'S FIVE YEARS OLD!

Tell me about it....I was hot enough when my daughter was 5 in kindergarten and she was suspended. For flipping off the teacher. :flipoff :lmao

And she most certainly did not learn that from me. :angel

Spurminator
03-18-2005, 03:25 PM
She's learning a lesson... the Man's out to get her.

It's a shame when a child has to grow up surrounded by retarded adults in school and at home.

desflood
03-18-2005, 03:27 PM

SHE'S FIVE YEARS OLD!
And now, at 5 years old, she knows that for the rest of her life she can do whatever bad things she wants to do to others and mommy will always bail her out.

MannyIsGod
03-18-2005, 03:30 PM
You're right, they should have booked her too!

Where the hell has common sense gone in our society?

Is the 5 year old going to be on Cops?

bigzak25
03-18-2005, 03:30 PM
it's not like the teacher bound and gagged her and had her in a closet.

these were the local cops. if they saw fit to put some restraints on this girl to calm her down, and perhaps, perhaps to keep her from harming herself, then why not?

if they finger printed her and put her in the holding tank, then i think the mom's gotta case....

Useruser666
03-18-2005, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't call a lawyer over this but I would be plenty mad at the school and my child.

mysterious_elf26
03-18-2005, 03:31 PM
and? maybe she learned a lesson.

Perhaps you didn't catch it the first time. SHE'S 5 YRS OLD!!!

desflood
03-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Common sense, hmm... my kid assaults several people and I'm going to sue them... yep, sounds a lot like common sense to me.

MannyIsGod
03-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Assault with a deadly crayon.

Classic.

travis2
03-18-2005, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't call a lawyer over this but I would be plenty mad at the school and my child.

I agree. Sure, calling the local cops was overdoing things...but something needed to be done. And that something does not include "time out"...when a kid is being violent the kid is a danger to others...and must be removed.

The behavior must be punished. "Set my baby up"??? YGBSM!! :pctoss

travis2
03-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Perhaps you didn't catch it the first time. SHE'S 5 YRS OLD!!!

Perhaps you didn't catch it the first time...THE KID WAS VIOLENT!!!

MannyIsGod
03-18-2005, 03:39 PM
she threw books and boxes, kicked a teacher in the shins, smashed a candy dish, hit an assistant principal in the stomach and drew on the walls.

Judy, we're here live from the scene of what appears to be a temper tantrum turned hostage situation. Apparently there is a 5 year old woman in side who is threatening to kick the princples shins with mary janes.

bigzak25
03-18-2005, 03:40 PM
would some of your have rather waited til she took out some agression on her classmates?

or who would be liable if this girl hurts herself? who would the mom be looking to sue then?

travis2
03-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Judy, we're here live from the scene of what appears to be a temper tantrum turned hostage situation. Apparently there is a 5 year old woman in side who is threatening to kick the princples shins with mary janes.

And your solution is....???

travis2
03-18-2005, 03:41 PM
would some of your have rather waited til she took out some agression on her classmates?

or who would be liable if this girl hurts herself? who would the mom be looking to sue then?

Bingo...

MannyIsGod
03-18-2005, 03:44 PM
I agree there's probably no legal case agaisnt the school, but I can't imagine this scene of a 5 year old throwing a tantrum is rare.

Yet, the cuffing of a 5 year old child is.

I wonder what the procedures are when common sense is in play?

travis2
03-18-2005, 03:45 PM
I agree there's probably no legal case agaisnt the school, but I can't imagine this scene of a 5 year old throwing a tantrum is rare.

Yet, the cuffing of a 5 year old child is.

I wonder what the procedures are when common sense is in play?

Probably (as referenced in the article) calling the school police. I think that would have been appropriate.

desflood
03-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Let's take the smashed candy dish. Say she picks up a piece of the broken glass and slashes your kid with it (which, by the sound of it, might have been next on her list of things to do). What then?

desflood
03-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Manny, this is not a tantrum. This is a violent rage. My kids throw tantrums. They don't hit people and break things.

SpursWoman
03-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Methinks the little 5 year old needs to be sent outside and pull her off one of these....

http://www.windchimewalker.net/-collected_image_files/11-Nov/11-2-tree-branch.jpg

"And it better not be a weak one....otherwise I'll go outside and pick it!!" As my grandmother used to say.

:)

ZStomp
03-18-2005, 03:48 PM
What if this was one of those kids that somehow found a gun at home and took it to school on this day.

Useruser666
03-18-2005, 03:51 PM
My mom who teaches kindergarten had a student pull out a pocket knife and threaten her and other kids with it. Would it have been approriate for her to call the campus police or was that just a tantrum?

bigzak25
03-18-2005, 03:51 PM
tantrum's happen. when a kid gets violent and unpredictable, then you have trouble. the school probobaly didn't want anything to do with it, called the cops and let them make the call.....of course mama is gonna be pissed. i would too. but i'd want the facts....and i'd want my baby unharmed, bottomline.

sbsquared
03-18-2005, 03:55 PM
The child became outraged because the teacher took away her jelly beans and she then proceeded to hit, kick and smash things! I think the school did the right thing and if that parent doesn't wise up and get control of her child, I have a feeling the child will see handcuffs and the back of a police car sometime in her future!

SpursWoman
03-18-2005, 03:56 PM
I honestly don't have a problem with the handcuffs, regardless of the age....something rather traumatic happened to me when I was that age that kept my nose clean to this very day...and no, it wasn't getting hit by a rig transporting Puffs.

I wonder if I could have SAPD come to my house sometime when my daughter's personality is really turned up and scare the shit out of her, too.

Shelly
03-18-2005, 04:01 PM
That was way beyond a tantrum. My guess is that the kid gets away with that kind of behavior at home.

Too many parents have the 'not my kid' mentality.

MannyIsGod
03-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Ok, and is she not under supervision? Did the child just go on a matrix like rage all of a sudden with no prevenative measures in between?

My guess is that there's more than is being told.

Yeah, handcuff my kid, and we'll have a serious problem.

desflood
03-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Obviously Mom is not preventing bad behavior. Who else do you think should do it?

ZStomp
03-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Manny--

You have a kid?

I don't see what the big deal is but then again I don't have kids (nor want any) so my point is moot. Or is it moo? LIke a cows opinion-- it doesn't matter. :lol

Useruser666
03-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Ok, and is she not under supervision? Did the child just go on a matrix like rage all of a sudden with no prevenative measures in between?

My guess is that there's more than is being told.

Yeah, handcuff my kid, and we'll have a serious problem.

Manny, you don't have kids, so how will you claim being an expert at this topic? :lol

bigzak25
03-18-2005, 04:11 PM
so you don't want handcuffs. ok. what is your alternative. do you allow them to grab her arms roughly? will you sue if you see bruises? will you allow a spanking? will you sue for inappropriate touching? put her alone in a room? if she bangs her head on a wall and hurts herself? then what?

WWMD?

desflood
03-18-2005, 04:11 PM
:lol You who? Too many people here now.

MannyIsGod
03-18-2005, 04:12 PM
:lmao

By being around all of you so much.

MannyIsGod
03-18-2005, 04:13 PM
I want to thank the police that did this for making my day go by faster.

Duff McCartney
I say...you ought to beat that kid down.

Kori Ellis

SHE'S FIVE YEARS OLD!

When I was teaching kindergarten (about 15 years ago) a kid in my class went wild like this. He was kicking teachers, other students, literally three teachers were holding him down on the ground to try to stop the tantrum. We didn't call the police but we obviously had a talk with the parents, etc. The next week I caught him holding a pair of scissors to the throat of another kid telling the kid that he should "ram the scissors through his throat" and kill himself.

Believe it or not, Manny, there are bad 5-year-olds that are a danger to themselves and other children.

desflood
03-18-2005, 04:14 PM
I want to thank the police that did this for making my day go by faster.

bigzak25
you know what would have been funny is if she was given back her jellybeans and she chilled the fuck out....

don't mess with my jellybeans.... :makemyday

wonder if they tried that first....of course...the last thing she needed was more sugar....

MannyIsGod
When I was teaching kindergarten (about 15 years ago) a kid in my class went wild like this. He was kicking teachers, other students, literally three teachers were holding him down on the ground to try to stop the tantrum. We didn't call the police but we obviously had a talk with the parents, etc. The next week I caught him holding a pair of scissors to the throat of another kid telling the kid that he should "ram the scissors through his throat" and kill himself.

Believe it or not, Manny, there are bad 5-year-olds that are a danger to themselves and other children.

Ok, fair enough.

ZStomp
03-18-2005, 04:15 PM
http://clicksmilies.com/s0105/fragend/confused-smiley-013.gif

http://clicksmilies.com/s0105/fragend/confused-smiley-010.gif

Shelly
so you don't want handcuffs. ok. what is your alternative. do you allow them to grab her arms roughly? will you sue if you see bruises? will you allow a spanking? will you sue for inappropriate touching? put her alone in a room? if she bangs her head on a wall and hurts herself? then what?

WWMD?

Very good point.

Because if any of the above happened, you know there still would be some type of lawsuit.

MannyIsGod
Maybe there is crack in the jelly beans. That's what happens when you take crack away from a crackhead.

JoeChalupa
03-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Where's a Kindergarten cop when you need one.

desflood
03-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Speed, maybe? I hear speed freaks lust after sugar.

MannyIsGod
03-18-2005, 04:17 PM
You guys make good points.

I'm still saying, anyone ever puts a kid of mine in handcuffs, and they'll fucking hear from me.

Shelly
03-18-2005, 04:17 PM
you know what would have been funny is if she was given back her jellybeans and she chilled the fuck out....

don't mess with my jellybeans.... :makemyday

wonder if they tried that first....of course...the last thing she needed was more sugar....

But if they did that then they are just giving in to her. She wins.

desflood
03-18-2005, 04:19 PM
We hear what you're saying Manny. I don't relish the thought of my kid in handcuffs either. Of course, if any of my kids pulled something like that, handcuffs and a police car would be the easiest punishment they'd get.

Kori Ellis
I'm still saying, anyone ever puts a kid of mine in handcuffs, and they'll fucking hear from me.

Well if your kid is dangerous or a psycho, then I don't know what you really want the school to do. Let them go nuts? Put them in "time out"? That's BS.

Shelly
Scared Straight.

SpursWoman
03-18-2005, 04:20 PM

Not all children respond to time-outs or even spankings...and it's frustrating beyond belief. One of the many wonderful things you don't fully understand until you have a child with a little stronger *will* than most and actually have to deal with it, not just to send them back home to mom.

Sometimes drastic behavior calls for drastic action....not that this will necessarily work, but as long as they didn't hurt the child it doesn't really raise my eyebrows too much.

ZStomp
03-18-2005, 04:20 PM
http://keepyouguessing.com/images/outtake_tyrone_a1.jpg

ZStomp
03-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Well if your kid is dangerous or a psycho, then I don't know what you really want the school to do. Let them go nuts? Put them in "time out"? That's BS.

Timeouts....that is BS.

That shit is funny.

bigzak25
03-18-2005, 04:22 PM
oh god....now this girl has street cred as well.....she'll never be stopped now.... :lol http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/images/smilies/doh.gif

JoeChalupa
03-18-2005, 04:23 PM
If my child acted that way I'd turn it into a positive, if possible, lesson.

"There are consequences for your actions young lady. Do you understand why the police officers had to do their job? Do you think your behavior was appropriate?"

Okay, enough Dr. Phil talk...but I'd also probably over react because, well I'm a parent and that's my child.

ZStomp
03-18-2005, 04:24 PM
If my child acted that way I'd turn it into a positive, if possible, lesson.

"There are consequences for your actions young lady. Do you understand why the police officers had to do their job? Do you think your behavior was appropriate?"

Okay, enough Dr. Phil talk...but I'd also probably over react because, well I'm a parent and that's my child.

That sounded like George Lopez!!!

Note to self: No kids. None for me.

MannyIsGod
03-18-2005, 04:27 PM
Dude, ya'll just wait till Manny Jr is raising hell. It's going to be beautiful.

desflood
03-18-2005, 04:30 PM
:) Okay, so you just let me know when Manny Jr. starts school, alright? So I know when we need to move to a different state.

Useruser666
03-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Dude, ya'll just wait till Manny Jr is raising hell. It's going to be beautiful.

Will you be getting married before you have Manny Jr.? :lol

MannyIsGod
03-18-2005, 04:38 PM
Manny Jr is still a long way off, just for clarification. In fact, some of you will probably die before then. :p

NameDropper
03-18-2005, 04:49 PM
Manny Jr is still a long way off, just for clarification. In fact, some of you will probably die before then. :p

Just to be safe. http://www.strive4impact.com/links/graphics/funny-condom-pictures/bounty-condom-ads.jpg I recommend these.

T Park
03-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Im sure she will sue the school, win a bunch of our tax dollars, and then our property taxes and every other tax will go up to compensate it.

Either not here or there.

Sounds like the kid should've been cuffed, meaning a backhand to the goddamn head.

Maybe if the mom at home wouldn't do the whole

stop, stop, stop, please stop, stop, stop, stop, stop. stop, stop, stop, please please stop.

Take the kid, and say LOOK HERE!!! STOP RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!

But no, they need a "time out"

fuckin political correctness bullshit.

bigzak25
03-18-2005, 05:06 PM
i wonder what supernanny would do....

"you've been very, very, naught....OWW...you little bitch...c'mere...i'll smack you good...."

http://abc.go.com/primetime/supernanny/images/gallery/ep101/ep101_04_240x360.jpg

JoeChalupa
03-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Im sure she will sue the school, win a bunch of our tax dollars, and then our property taxes and every other tax will go up to compensate it.

Either not here or there.

Sounds like the kid should've been cuffed, meaning a backhand to the goddamn head.

Maybe if the mom at home wouldn't do the whole

stop, stop, stop, please stop, stop, stop, stop, stop. stop, stop, stop, please please stop.

Take the kid, and say LOOK HERE!!! STOP RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!

But no, they need a "time out"

fuckin political correctness bullshit.

Sounds like you've used "the faja" a time or two.

spurster
03-18-2005, 05:20 PM
This thread is hilarious. Manny, you're one of those parents who has perfect kids, and you don't even have one yet.

Duff McCartney
03-18-2005, 05:20 PM

I'll be sure to take a polaroid of my fist connecting with the back of Manny Jr's head.

MannyIsGod
03-18-2005, 06:26 PM
Manny Jr will probably pay back 700 dollars to Jim before you do.

rattler65
03-18-2005, 08:24 PM
They set my baby up. WOW. That 5 year old sounds out of control, but bound with plastis cable ties like an animal is uncalled for. That gestapo police force should be taken to the wood shed for an a** whoopin. :hat

they set my baby up love it.

rattler65
03-18-2005, 08:32 PM
They set my baby up. Sounds like a Johnny Cochranism. (you know ; if the glove dont fit you must aquitt.

You know? something that rhymes with they set my baby up.maybe not.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-18-2005, 09:00 PM
What I don't get is if the policy of the district is to call campus police, why didn't they?

Also, they can't say that they don't have people on campus designed to deal with children who act out like this. Even NISD schools have AMC and BMC teachers and assistants that are trained to handle children that act out either verbally or physically.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-18-2005, 09:04 PM
I'll be sure to take a polaroid of my fist connecting with the back of Manny Jr's head.

This line calls for a few good comebacks, I'll just put them down as I go along.

1. Will this be when you two are in sixth or seventh grade together?

2. Will this happen after you drive to the school drunk off your Hi-C?

rattler65
03-18-2005, 09:06 PM
:hat Ill put the system on trial.

ALVAREZ6
03-18-2005, 10:53 PM
That's hilarious, they need all that BS for handling a 5 year old girl, how the fuck are you going to arrest a 5 year old girl.
Did the assistant principal and teacher cry to the cops after being kicked or hit by a 5 year old girl?

Then the mother said
"THEY SET MY BABY UP"
...wow...what a jackass....

Guru of Nothing
03-18-2005, 11:19 PM
This is a mental health issue and the use of restraints is reasonable.

IF I WAS ACTUALLY THERE to witness the situation, I'd share more, except I'll continue to say .....

As much as I don't want to see my children in handcuffs, I don't want them traumatized by children of mothers with claims "my baby was set up."

ididnotnothat
03-18-2005, 11:22 PM
This is a mental health issue and the use of restraints is reasonable.

IF I WAS ACTUALLY THERE to witness the situation, I'd share more, except I'll continue to say .....

As much as I don't want to see my children in handcuffs, I don't want them traumatized by children of mothers with claims "my baby was set up."

So you'd rather have them traumatized by being cuffed and being arrested?

Guru of Nothing
03-18-2005, 11:41 PM

Look, if my my kid is kicking people and throwing shit in a kindergarten classroom, the traumatization is already done.

Guru of Nothing
03-18-2005, 11:44 PM

Pretend you have a child in said classroom, how would you want it handled?

Spurminator
03-19-2005, 12:01 AM
Execute the child. This sort of erratic behavior indicates a possible threat to society in the future. We can't take any risks.

MannyIsGod
03-19-2005, 12:21 AM
Execute the child. This sort of erratic behavior indicates a possible threat to society in the future. We can't take any risks.

T Park
03-19-2005, 01:18 AM
lmao@ spurm.

Useruser666
03-19-2005, 05:04 PM
So you're for the death penalty now Spurm? Damnit!!! :p

Faccia di Angelo
03-19-2005, 06:33 PM
:lol I think Manny gets it. Thats exactly what it was, a temper tantrum. And you don't deal with a child throwing a tantrum by calling the police and handcuffing them. Thats freaking ridiculous. She probably is used to getting her way and that would have been real apparent the minute she started freaking out on having her jelly beans taken away. Thats mommy and daddy's fault. I know elementary schools don't tolerate that behavior (Child Care centers use different methods and approach it other ways) at all but they usually call up the parents to come get their child or send them to the principal's office, they don't have them taken away.

I deal with situations like that daily and I've dealt with children who get way out of control MANY a time and I've been able to calm a child down after having him throw his shoes at me, kick the tables, throw things everywhere, scratch and bite me. Sometimes I physically restrain them (not harsh or hurtful, just firmly) and let them know they are not going to hurt me or anyone else and hold them till they calm down. I don't have kids of my own but I know I am not gonna stand for it when I do, so like hell if I'm gonna let someone else's kids hit on me. But at the same time I don't call up SAPD to deal with the child. Its just a matter of how you handle it. I see kids who know better than to act that way with me or my other teacher, but watch them with their parents and they walk all over them. Why? Because they know they aren't gonna get away with it with us, we won't tolerate it, but the parents will for some reason. Then they come to us saying they don't know why the child is acting that way with them and not with us. They think their one child or two children is a handful, try having 14 at one time. Its no piece of cake but we are able to work with difficult children without using time out, or spankings or handcuffing them. Now I'm not saying it works all the time, but thats the great thing about having lots of different methods, you use them all and find what works best. This little girl seemed like she was just throwing a tantrum.
I think everyone overreacted here, and it could have been handled a lot differently.
But thats just my lotta cents lol

I don't see what the big deal is but then again I don't have kids (nor want any) so my point is moot. Or is it moo? LIke a cows opinion-- it doesn't matter

Don't lie, you know you want a whole litter of them! :baby

jcrod
03-19-2005, 08:04 PM
Some of the comments on here are idiotic. First, anybody who doesn't have kids, should shut up, because until you have one, you know don't know....

These freaking idiots overreatced, period. We are talking about a five yr old kid, let me say it one more time FIVE YRS OLD. Should the child have been disciplned, with out question. Should the child of been handcuff in front of everybody, lead to, then put into a back of a police car. NO Fing way. If a teacher and a principle can't handle a 5 yr old kid, then they should be in another line of work.

If the child reacted in this manner over jelly beans, there are a tons of underlying issues that need to be look at. Mainly the parents, kid has enough issues, don't add on to them.

Guru of Nothing
03-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Some of the comments on here are idiotic. First, anybody who doesn't have kids, should shut up, because until you have one, you know don't know....

Maybe parents without mentally ill children, myself included, should shut up too. Maybe everyone who did not witness the incident, myself included, should shut up too.

SpursWoman
03-19-2005, 10:02 PM

These freaking idiots overreatced, period. We are talking about a five yr old kid, let me say it one more time FIVE YRS OLD. Should the child have been disciplned, with out question. Should the child of been handcuff in front of everybody, lead to, then put into a back of a police car. NO Fing way. If a teacher and a principle can't handle a 5 yr old kid, then they should be in another line of work.

Would you care to watch my daughter for me for about a week? You'd be begging for them to take you away in handcuffs.

*rimshot*

BTW, there's nothing idiotic about someone's opinion...whether you agree with it or not.

Shelly
04-23-2005, 09:53 AM
http://stpetetimes.com/

Videos of the incident--you'll have to scroll down for them.

NameDropper
04-23-2005, 10:03 AM
I don't know the whole story but I think the parents should have been called and told their child was out of control and given them the chance to come to school to get their child or at least get the parents to talk to the child on the phone.
Within a reasonable amount of time or course and told that the authorities are also going to contacted so that they are aware of the severity of the situation.

From what I saw the principal did what was necessary.

Discipline begins at home.

Shelly
04-23-2005, 10:11 AM
They did call her mom, but she said she couldn't leave work early (it was said in the video in when she was alone).

All I can say is that teacher showed a considerable amount of restraint. I think she handled the situation extremely well.

NameDropper
04-23-2005, 10:28 AM
They did call her mom, but she said she couldn't leave work early (it was said in the video in when she was alone).

All I can say is that teacher showed a considerable amount of restraint. I think she handled the situation extremely well.

That is too bad. My work would understand that when it comes to my child, he/she comes first.

I agree, the teacher should be commended for her actions.

ChumpDumper
04-23-2005, 10:31 AM
That kid was swinging like fucking Joe Frazier in the principal's office!

At the end of that vid, there is a man (one of the officers?) that said "Remember me? I'm the one who told your mom we'd handcuff you." or words to that effect.

Action and consequence.

Done and done.

That kind of behavior should get a kid expelled and put in an alternate school. There can't be any kind of reward for that. And she and the mother need counseling while she's there.

Useruser666
04-23-2005, 10:56 AM
This kid needed to be restrained by police. How do you stop a kid that is totally out of control and you can't do anything because you will be sued? There are specially trained teachers that can restrain students and are taught how to do so. I'm not sure if they were availible at this school. In any case, the child needed to be restrained because she was beyond reasoning.

BigZaksbackwindow
04-23-2005, 11:27 AM
I'm all broken up over this.

Gatita
04-23-2005, 02:02 PM
I know. My Dad would have said "They should have took your ass to jail, for acting like a fool"......then he would have whooped my ass for embarassing him. :lol

:lol True that.

I find it funny that people changed their tune once the link of the video went up. I had no doubt in my mind that the teacher, principle, and police did the right thing. I have a child and I wouldn't hesitate to have her restrained if she had acted that way. Teachers are there to teach, they are not babysitters and don't need to put up with guff from any student. That is why we have a shortage of individuals going into the teaching field. That don't get paid enough to put up with crap!

Spurminator
04-23-2005, 02:16 PM
They should have tied the mother's tubes as well.

desflood
04-23-2005, 08:56 PM
After watching the video, it looked suspiciously like there was a little girl in it who didn't want to face the consequenses for her actions when she discovered there were going to be some.

mookie2001
04-23-2005, 09:01 PM
shes 5

what the hell can you say, if you haul to jail everykid who acts bad, the police have a shitload of work to do

desflood
04-23-2005, 09:14 PM
My 4-year-old knows there are consequences for his actions. But, the real "problem child" here is obviously the mother. Too bad we can't do anything about her.

mookie2001
04-23-2005, 09:20 PM
its hard to know the whole story i mean, if you got a call to come get your kid because they were acting bad, and you really couldnt get off work, some people cant, and the reason why is the kid is acting bad i might be inclined to say "deal with it" too

Faccia di Angelo
04-23-2005, 11:10 PM
wow, that was so sad.

That was definitely admirable of the teacher or principal of how she handled the situation. She totally did what we are trained to do in situations like that only I didn't expect it to come from elementary staff. She seemed to have training in early childhood too. I think the only thing I would have done was restrain that little girl a lot sooner instead of talking to her. But I'm curious to know, because I know I heard voices in the background saying, that's good they are filming this because she can't touch her. I wasn't sure if they were referring to the little girl or the staff. Who couldn't touch who? I know I have every right to restrain a child if need be but wasn't sure if its different in school settings. That was interesting.

It still seemed like a little girl wanting to get her way and freaked out when she saw the final consequence. Just sad overall, cause it is more than that. There is a real underlying issue that needs to be addressed with that little girl.

Discipline does begin at home, and it sucks that you see more and more kids not respect their parents or fear them therefore they don't care what anyone else says. I remember growing up I was scared to death of my mom! She put the fear in me to act right :lol You don't see that anymore.

Dario
04-24-2005, 07:03 AM
If i was that teacher i would call the police too. I mean today you can get sued almost for child hitting you and hurting himself. (expecially in USA for what i heard). I dont care if child was 5, she needed to be restrained and police is far better choice than do it yourself.
And like somebody said: mother will sue everybody she can to get some cash and child will know she can do anything she want. Perfect

IX_Equilibrium
04-24-2005, 08:17 AM
"If you can't do the time, don't do the crime!"