PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Jazz - Apr. 10

timvp
04-11-2009, 05:49 PM
The San Antonio Spurs once again had a big lead in the beginning stages of the second quarter. This time, unlike the game against the Portland Trail Blazers, the Spurs were able to hold on and defeat the Utah Jazz. The win assured that the Spurs will finished with a top six seed in the Western Conference.

After Andrei Kirilenko cut San Antonio's lead to three points with seven minutes remaining in the contest, the Big Two took control. Over the next six minutes, Tim Duncan and Tony Parker scored 13 points to help balloon the advantage to ten points. When all was said and done, the Spurs had a 105-99 victory.

Regarding the Jazz, it's just amazing how much better they play at home compared to on the road. Away from home, Utah only has two more wins than the Minnesota Timberwolves. It doesn't make much sense because they have a lot of talent and their depth is more than adequate. That said, the Jazz are a team that could catch fire and win a playoff series - especially now that they are relatively healthy.

Both the good news and the bad news is that the Spurs didn't play too well in the victory. Offensively, their ball movement was stagnant and the execution was iffy. Defensively, the Spurs didn't play too smart and instead resorted to hacking to match Utah's physicality. But that these Spurs can play a C+ game and still win a game against a legitimate playoff team is a sign that San Antonio could make noise if they can iron out their issues.

Overall, the Spurs have to be happy. The shock of losing Manu Ginobili is starting to wear off and the team seems to be gearing up in time to make a push in the postseason. It's definitely not going to be easy but this type of gutty effort should give Spurs fans hope.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
31 minutes, 14 points, nine rebounds, two assists, six turnovers
5-for-11 from the field, 4-for-8 at the line

Coming out of the gates, Tim Duncan looked as healthy as we've seen him in a long while. He was going deep into his bag of tricks and he had a lot of energy on the defense end. His effectiveness faded for much of the middle portion of the game, however he once again played well near the end. Following the contest, Duncan said that the pain in his knees is lessening, which is obviously great news for Spurs fans. Prior to the playoffs, Duncan still has a ways to go to sharpen his game. His passing isn't nearly as crisp as it was a couple of months ago and he has to make quicker decisions in the low block. But all things considered, it was definitely a successful outing for the foundation.

-------------------------------

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg
34 minutes, 31 points, seven assists, six rebounds
9-for-15 from the field, 13-for-17 at the line

Tony Parker had very good outing to add to his 2008-09 collection. He hit his first six shots from the field and then relentlessly drove to the hoop to earn a career-high 17 free throw attempts. Parker's passing was very good and I was impressed with his defense. Deron Williams got his but Parker made him work without much double-team help. He also helped out on the boards and took care of the ball. In his last ten games, Parker is averaging 24.5 points and 7.5 assists while shooting 61.4% from the field.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
36 minutes, 16 points, one assist, one rebound, one steal
6-for-12 from the field, 3-for-6 on three-pointers

I was once again encouraged with what I saw from Roger Mason, Jr. He's being aggressive with his shot selection and he's not letting a few missed shots shake his confidence. Mason's play as the backup point guard isn't too aesthetically pleasing but he's playing that position much better than he was a few weeks ago. Defensively, he also appears to be turning the corner and he is starting to become an asset on that end. If he can keep giving the Spurs a dependable third threat, Mason would give the team a chance.

Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
27 minutes, six points, two rebounds, two assists
1-for-3 from the field, 0-for-2 on three-pointers

Michael Finley had one of his ghost games offensively but he did a good job of making up for it in other areas. He played solid defense, particularly in transition. Finley also made a few good passes and went 4-for-4 at the charity stripe at the end when the Spurs were trying to put the Jazz to bed. It's good to see him be able to help out even when he's not hitting his shots.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
21 minutes, five points, three rebounds, two blocks
2-for-5 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers

Matt Bonner once again left a lot to be desired. He struggled on the boards and his defense against Mehmet Okur was poor. Okur was not only overpowering Bonner, he was also out-quicking him. Bonner is wearing a wrap on his calf and I'm starting to wonder how healthy he is at the moment. He's not getting much elevation when he jumps for rebounds and he can't hold his ground when banging with other bigs. If he is hurt, hopefully it's something that will heal before the start of the playoffs.

Ime Udoka
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3501.jpg
30 minutes, 13 points, five rebounds, one assist, one steal
4-for-6 from the field, 3-for-5 on three-pointers, 2-for-4 at the line

Ime Udoka came through with one of his better performances of the year. His shooting, especially in the third quarter, helped keep the Spurs afloat offensively. On defense, he provided some of the needed toughness to match the rugged play from the Jazz. Rebounding was again a bright spot for Udoka. If he can shoot like he did against Utah and he doesn't try to do too much, Udoka actually becomes a quite useful player.

Drew Gooden
http://spurstalk.com/drew-gooden-spurs.jpg
29 minutes, 14 points, four rebounds, one assist, one steal
6-for-14 from the field, 2-for-2 at the line

Drew Gooden has had better statistical games for the Spurs but this might have been his most impressive performance. Defensively, he had a few miscues but overall I thought he showed a lot of promise. He made a few rotations that tell me he's starting to understand the system. On offense, Gooden really helped out. His confidence and fearlessness on that end is especially needed now due to Ginobili's injury. It's really getting to the point that Pop needs to think long and hard about giving Gooden more minutes and more touches. The only disappointing aspect about Gooden right now is that his rebounding has mysteriously disappeared.

Bruce Bowen
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3167.jpg
16 minutes, four points, two rebounds
1-for-2 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers, 1-for-2 at the line

I didn't like how Bowen was defending. It's like he came out with too much energy and as a result he tried to do too much. Although, it should be noted that he was trying to defend Williams - a player he's never had much success against. With Pop giving Bowen an opportunity to earn more minutes, hopefully he can take advantage and give the Spurs another quality playoff run.

Kurt Thomas
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3012.jpg
14 minutes, two points

Kurt Thomas really struggled against the Jazz. He picked up five fouls in his 14 minutes of action and didn't grab a rebound. His defense was decent but he got whistled almost every time he was involved in a play. Basically, it was a night for Thomas to forget.

Gregg Popovich
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/popovich_gregg030428.jpg

Pop coached a good game. He did a fantastic job of limiting the minutes Duncan and Parker played while still giving his team a chance to win. Pop also gave a healthy amount of minutes to Mason and Gooden, who will both be very important if the Spurs are to make any type of run in the postseason. His trust in Udoka over the last few weeks paid off against the Jazz. With the Spurs trying to juggle winning and health down the stretch run of the season, Pop has his work cut out for him. We'll see if he can successfully navigate.

Offense

The Spurs scored 105 points and shot 50% from the field, 42.1% from beyond the arc and got to the line 38 times. All those numbers are impressive but I thought they could have actually played much better on the offensive end. Once the Jazz sent a trap, the passes weren't getting to the open shooters fast enough. The second unit also didn't do a good enough job feeding Gooden the ball. But, like I said earlier, that room for improvement is a good sign in itself.

Defense

When the Spurs weren't sending the Jazz to the line for one of their 30 attempts or turning it over to ignite Utah's fast break, the defense was actually pretty darn good. A few times the rotations failed and the Jazz were given a free lane to the basket but overall the Spurs looked like they knew what they were doing. For the game, the Jazz shot 44.3% from the field, 36.4% on three-pointers and 83.3% at the line.

Drive to Five

The Spurs really needed this win and they were able to capture it. Now they head out for a dangerous back-to-back against the Sacramento Kings and the Golden State Warriors. Neither team is that good but they both have the type of athletes that give the Spurs problems. Going 2-for-2 would be huge for the team's confidence and playoff positioning.

Believe.

celldweller
04-11-2009, 05:57 PM
There was a point in the 4th quarter when Bonner passed-up a wide-up 3 attempt. Pop immediately looked down the bench and in came Gooden to finish the game. I wonder if this is the beginning of the end of major Bonner minutes.

timvp
04-11-2009, 06:03 PM
There was a point in the 4th quarter when Bonner passed-up a wide-up 3 attempt. Pop immediately looked down the bench and in came Gooden to finish the game. I wonder if this is the beginning of the end of major Bonner minutes.Pop was actually mad that Bonner didn't pass the ball to Udoka in the corner. The Jazz had trapped Parker with Bonner's man and then Udoka's man went to cover Bonner. When Bonner got the ball, instead of rotating it to the wide, wide open Udoka, he passed it back to Parker who was about 30 feet away from the basket.

What made it hysterical was that Bonner was right next to Pop and Pop was yelling "swing it! swing it!" and Bonner didn't even take a look to see if anyone was open in the corner :lol

But yeah, those types of plays are the type of plays Bonner made in previous years and earlier this season that earned him time in Pop's doghouse. With Gooden improving on a daily basis, Bonner can't afford such blatant mental mistakes.

Rogue
04-11-2009, 06:04 PM
the Jazz are a team that could catch fire and win a playoff series - especially now that they are relatively healthy.

only if they face the rockets in the first round. :lol

Spooky
04-11-2009, 06:12 PM
I missed the first quarter cause I was fishing but I liked what I saw from Gooden, Duncan, Parker, Mason Jr, and Udoka. I hope Gooden keeps improving his passing and defending and Udoka when he gets put in during the playoffs plays as well as yesterday.

Muser
04-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Pop looks like he's getting his stuff together for the playoffs.

Mavs<Spurs
04-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Great analysis. Thank you !

:flag:

Mavs<Spurs
04-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Timvp rounding into playoff form too, lol !

Na, you always bring your a game !

:lol

:toast

Go Spurs !

Go Spurstalk !

celldweller
04-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Timvp rounding into playoff form too, lol !

Na, you always bring your a game !

:lol

:toast

Go Spurs !

Go Spurstalk !

:rolleyes

ducks
04-11-2009, 10:17 PM
mason without manu is good
mason just needs more playing time with manu to know what to do

manu takes mason agressiviness away for some reason