PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: NBA Beat: Baseline Cut - MVP Vote Brings Out Propaganda

duncan228
04-11-2009, 08:38 PM
NBA Beat: Baseline Cut - MVP vote brings out propaganda (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/NBA_Beat_Baseline_Cut__-_MVP_vote_brings_out_propaganda.html)
Mike Monroe

I always know when it's time to vote for the league's postseason awards because delivery drivers begin trooping to my door with packages of propaganda.

It's no longer enough for most teams just to send along statistics that support a player's candidacy for this award, or that. Now, some teams campaign with what amounts to graft.

Some of the promotional material is innocent enough. The Timberwolves sent a spray bottle and their own version of a mini-ShamWow to promote Kevin Love for Rookie of the Year. The bottle, intending to stress Love's rebounding, is labeled: Mr. Love Miracle Glass Cleaner. It's sort of cute.

The Heat sent an “MV3” T-Shirt and a DVD of Dwyane Wade highlights to promote Wade for MVP. That's relatively traditional.

I applaud the Thunder. Rather than mail a cheesy, themed gift, they e-mailed a PDF file of Rookie of the Year candidate Russell Westbrook's stats.

Then there are the Trail Blazers. Last season they sent iPods to Western Conference coaches to promote Brandon Roy's All-Star credentials, pre-loading it with his stats and highlights. This year, they sent media voters a sophisticated pen/recorder, called a Pulse Smartpen, to promote Nate McMillan for Coach of the Year. See, they call McMillan “the pulse of the Trail Blazers.”

Call me contrary, but my vote is not for sale. In fact, the Pulse Smartpen, which comes with software, is going to cost the Express-News. I'm going to ship it back to Portland and turn in an expense report for postage. In these tough times, that's an expense the paper doesn't need.

Besides, I don't want a pen that might be able to replace me someday.