PDA

View Full Version : Spurs At Warriors Previews

duncan228
04-13-2009, 12:11 AM
Monday: Spurs (52-28) at Warriors (29-51) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Monday_Spurs_52-28_at_Warriors_29-51.html)
Express-News

Time: 9:30 p.m.
TV: KENS
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS
POS - SPURS - WARRIORS

PG - 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 8th yr) - 23 C.J. Watson (6-2, 2nd yr)
Watson had career-high 38 points to lift ailing Warriors past Jazz.

SG - 8 Roger Mason Jr. (6-5, 5th yr) - 22 Anthony Morrow (6-5, 1st yr)
Morrow leads NBA in 3-point percentage, with Azubuike on his heels.

SF - 4 Michael Finley (6-7, 14th yr) - 7 Kelenna Azubuike (6-5, 3rd yr)
Finley shooting 54.6 percent from field in six games in April.

PG - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 12th yr) - 4 Anthony Randolph (6-10, 1st yr)
Spurs saved Duncan for this game, so expect him to make the most of it.

C - 15 Matt Bonner (6-10, 5th yr) - 15 Andris Biedrins (6-11, 5th yr)
Bonner has scored in double figures just four times since Gooden’s arrival.

SPURS RESERVES

12 Bruce Bowen, F, 6-7, 13th yr
90 Drew Gooden, F, 6-10, 8th yr
3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 1st yr
40 Kurt Thomas, C/F, 6-9, 14th yr
5 Ime Udoka, G/F, 6-5, 5th yr
11 Jacque Vaughn, G, 6-1, 12th yr
2 Marcus Williams, G, 6-7, 2nd yr

WARRIORS

18 Marco Belinelli, G, 6-5, 2nd yr
6 Jamal Crawford, G, 6-5, 9th yr
33 J. Davidson, F, 6-10, 2nd yr
31 Rob Kurz, F, 6-9, 1st yr
50 Corey Maggette, F, 6-6, 10th yr
21 Ronny Turiaf, F, 6-10, 4th yr
32 Brendan Wright, F, 6-10, 2nd yr

COACHES

Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Warriors: Don Nelson

INJURIES

Spurs: Manu Ginobili (stress fracture, right fibula) is out.

Warriors: Monta Ellis (bone bruise, left ankle), Davidson (stress fracture, left foot) and Wright (left shoulder soreness) are out. Crawford (strained lower back), Maggette (post-concussion syndrome), Stephen Jackson (bone fragments, left foot) and Belinelli (right ankle soreness) are doubtful.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Mahinmi, Ginobili, Fabricio Oberto.

Warriors: Ellis, Jackson.

NOTABLE

The Warriors are an injured mess, with just seven players available for their game Saturday at Utah. But behind career nights from Watson and Kurz (21 points), the short-handed Warriors stunned the Jazz. ... The Spurs are 3-0 vs. the Warriors this season. Duncan was the Spurs’ leading scorer in each game.

- Jeff McDonald

Ditty
04-13-2009, 12:13 AM
no ellis or jack

should win by double digits hopefully spurs put this game out of reach in the first half and hornets beat the rockets

EricB
04-13-2009, 12:15 AM
If the Spurs play smart and take this game seriously, Duncan's minutes should be minimized.

However, they gave the Rockets a bitch of a time the other night.

loveforthegame
04-13-2009, 12:15 AM
Finley shooting 54.6 percent from field in six games in April.

I doubt that's counting tonights game but I didn't know he was shooting so well in April.

INJURIES

Crawford (strained lower back), Maggette (post-concussion syndrome), Stephen Jackson (bone fragments, left foot) and Belinelli (right ankle soreness) are doubtful.

I believe Belinelli is the only player who will be available out of this bunch.

EricB
04-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Belinelli probobly wont see any minutes anyways, at least he didn't against Houston I don't think.

ElNono
04-13-2009, 12:18 AM
I believe Belinelli is the only player who will be available out of this bunch.

Shit. No Jax, Corey or Monta, we need to get out with some energy out there and finish them early.

loveforthegame
04-13-2009, 12:23 AM
During the Utah game the Warriors announcers said Belinelli should play against the Spurs. I doubt he'd be a difference maker but it does give them someone else off the bench.

The Warriors are depleted but they've been scrappy and have given teams some trouble. The Spurs can't overlook them and come out aggressive and ready.

Pentagruel
04-13-2009, 12:30 AM
The Jazz got spanked by them at home so I wouldn't take them lightly. The last two games against them have been real close to so I hope we come prepared.

ElNono
04-13-2009, 12:31 AM
PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Mahinmi, Ginobili, Fabricio Oberto.

That's weird. He played tonight.

loveforthegame
04-13-2009, 12:35 AM
That's weird. He played tonight.

Because Duncan took his place on the inactive list. I assume Oberto will go back to the inactive list with Duncan active for this game.

ElNono
04-13-2009, 12:35 AM
Because Duncan took his place on the inactive list. I assume Oberto will go back to the inactive list with Duncan active for this game.

:toast

duncan228
04-13-2009, 01:10 AM
San Antonio (52-28) at Golden State (29-51) Preview (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2009041309&prov=ap)
Game info: 10:30 pm EDT Mon Apr 13, 2009
TV: KENS, CSBA
By Mike Lipka

Coming off a vital - if controversial - victory as they jockey for seeding in the Western Conference, the San Antonio Spurs are hoping they won’t need any last-second heroics on Monday night.

Tim Duncan will return to the lineup after taking a night off when the banged-up Spurs visit the Golden State Warriors, with San Antonio still seeking a Southwest Division title with two games left in the regular season.

As they prepare for a postseason without Manu Ginobili, the Spurs (52-28) could certainly use home-court advantage in at least the first round, and Sunday night’s 95-92 win at Sacramento was a major boost.

With Duncan in street clothes resting his sore knees, Michael Finley broke a tie with a 3-pointer in the final seconds for San Antonio. The basket stood despite the fact that the shot clock appeared to have expired, as the play was deemed unreviewable and the Spurs were given the victory.

Even San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich admitted his team caught a break.

“I looked on the film, and it looked like it was still in his hand (when the shot clock expired),” Popovich said. “I didn’t study it, but I looked real quickly, and it looked like it was still in his hands.”

The Spurs’ frontcourt was depleted without Duncan, so Tony Parker carried the load against the Kings with 25 points and nine assists, while fellow guard Roger Mason added 22 points.

The win pulled San Antonio into a three-way tie for third place in the West, with division rival Houston and Portland also at 52-28. Second-place Denver is just one game ahead as first-round matchups remain very much in limbo going into the final three days of the regular season.

The Spurs will at least hope to benefit from the return of Duncan on Monday. The former league MVP has been missing time sporadically due to his knees, and he has struggled lately, averaging 12.3 points and 9.0 rebounds in his last four starts.

He will need to be ready to run with the fast-paced Warriors, who’ve won four of six as they near the end of a disappointing season.

Coach Don Nelson sat on the bench but didn’t coach the team and Golden State (29-51) played with only seven players at Utah on Saturday, but the Warriors still beat the Jazz 118-108.

With Jamal Crawford, Monta Ellis, Corey Maggette, Brandan Wright and Stephen Jackson all out, C.J. Watson scored a career-high 38 points in Salt Lake City, while little-used rookie reserve Rob Kurz also had a career best with 21.

“We just played loose,” Kurz said. “We realized that we are out of the playoffs and had nothing to lose. We just played fearlessly and played together.”

Going into its final home game of the season, Golden State is 21-19 in Oakland. The Spurs needed 32 points each from Ginobili and Duncan - and overtime - to win 110-105 there Feb. 2, avoiding what would have been their third straight defeat at Oracle Arena.

The teams’ most recent meeting was also tight, as the Spurs won 107-106 at home on March 24, propelled by Mason’s winning jumper in the final minute. That win moved the Spurs to 35-5 all-time against the Warriors with Duncan in the lineup.

Notes

Spurs:

F-C Tim Duncan was given Sunday night off to rest. He is expected to play on Monday at Golden State. ... F Drew Gooden, who spent 12 days with the Kings earlier this season after a trade with Chicago, had nine points and five rebounds for the Spurs, who signed him after Sacramento released him to save money. ... San Antonio was 16-of-24 from the free-throw line.

Warriors:

The Warriors won despite suiting up just eight players and playing just seven. ... G C.J. Watson scored a career-high 38 points to go with nine assists and seven rebounds. ... F Rob Kurz chipped in 21 points off the bench.

Team Stat Leaders

Tony Parker SA 21.9
Stephen Jackson GS 20.7

Rebounds

Tim Duncan SA 10.5
Andris Biedrins GS 11.3

Assists

Tony Parker SA 6.9
Stephen Jackson GS 6.5

Team Comparison
Team Record Standings PF PA Road/Home Streak L10

San Antonio 52-28 1st Southwest / 3rd West 96.9 93.5 Road 25-15 Won 2 6-4

Golden State 29-51 3rd Pacific / 10th West 109.0 112.4 Home 21-19 Won 1 4-6

kace
04-13-2009, 04:30 AM
Rest TP for this game.

KSeal
04-13-2009, 06:46 AM
So the Spurs win their next two games and they're guaranteed the three seed. I wouldn't rest Duncan or TP and go all out to win these next two. That would be big time for the Spurs, they could get all the way to the WCF if they get the three seed.

timvp
04-13-2009, 06:54 AM
So the Spurs win their next two games and they're guaranteed the three seed. No. They aren't in the driver's seat. They could win the next two and finish in fifth. It's up to the Hornets or Blazers to lose for the Spurs to move up.

KSeal
04-13-2009, 07:00 AM
No. They aren't in the driver's seat. They could win the next two and finish in fifth. It's up to the Hornets or Blazers to lose for the Spurs to move up.

Yeah, I was just looking further into this, I saw they were all tied and SA was in the three so I thought they had the tie breaker over the two. So if the Rockets win out then they end up with the better division record so they have the tie breaker and then the Blazers have the tie breaker over the Spurs too. So the Spurs need to win out and they need the Rockets and Blazers to lose one.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm confused as fuck, screw it :lol

spursfan1000
04-13-2009, 07:22 AM
This game should be a piece of cake, first of all they are the Warriors who play no defense and beacuse Monta Ellis, Corey Maggette, Stephen Jackson,Brandon Wright,Belineni and Crawford is a little banged up but he can still play. We must be on watch for Azibuike who has been on fire with them out. In the last 30 days he has been averaging 19 points 6 rebounds and 2 asists. Id say rest Duncan tommarow also, maybe even Parker if we don't need him. If we lose I will really be dissapointed and also Andris Biederins just got off a injury so he wont be as good as normal trying to get to full speed for the last couple days of the season, I don't really expect the Warriors to beat us because they wont really be playing as hard as a team that is fighting for a playoff spot. They will probably just give alot of minutes to players like Anthony Morrow who is a very good 3 point shooter (don't let him get hot), CJ Watson who had 45 points last game, Anthony Randolph who has been pretty good this season for them when Andris Biederins and Ronny Turiaf were out.Our previos meetings with the Warriors are on March,24 when we barely won 107-106, the 2nd meeting we won 110-105,our 3rd meeting we won 123-108, and hopefully our 4th meeting we will win by 20+, we are certian capeable of beating this team by 20+.Roger Mason and Drew Gooden will have to have good games so they will have some confidence heading into the playoffs, im hoping that POP wont let Timmy play.

Dex
04-13-2009, 10:19 AM
No. They aren't in the driver's seat. They could win the next two and finish in fifth. It's up to the Hornets or Blazers to lose for the Spurs to move up.

True, but if the Spurs win out, that means they would have to beat New Orleans, heretogo providing the Hornets with the needed loss to drop in the standings.

ElNono
04-13-2009, 10:25 AM
True, but if the Spurs win out, that means they would have to beat New Orleans, heretogo providing the Hornets with the needed loss to drop in the standings.

I think he means Houston or Blazers...

Dex
04-13-2009, 10:27 AM
I think he means Houston or Blazers...

Well maybe timvp should try to get things right. :lol

:depressed

shelshor
04-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Referee Assignments
Mon. Apr. 13
San Antonio @ Golden State: S. Javie, R. Mott, D. Richardson

ElNono
04-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Referee Assignments
Mon. Apr. 13
San Antonio @ Golden State: S. Javie, R. Mott, D. Richardson

No Danny Crawford... :depressed

:lol

Bukefal
04-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Go Spurs!!! We'll get this win, we need it!

duncan228
04-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Spurs roll into Golden State (http://sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/scores/live/pv11335.htm)

(Sports Network) - The San Antonio Spurs hope to build off a controversial win tonight when they visit the Golden State Warriors at ORACLE Arena.

The Spurs, who are deadlocked with Houston atop the Southwest Division with just two games to play, got a gift Sunday when Michael Finley's three-pointer with 1.3 seconds left, lifted the San Antonio Spurs to a 95-92 win over the Sacramento Kings.

Finley appeared to make the three after the shot clock expired, however. In what is destined to become a topic of offseason rule conversation, the play unfolded with the game knotted at 92 and time running out. Tony Parker drove the lane and dished a pass to Finley on the right side of the arc. Finley released a good shot, but a few tenths of a second after the shot clock had run out.

"Catch and shoot. That's pretty much it," said Finley. "Tony penetrated, made a great aggressive play and just kicked it out to me and I just shot it."

It was ruled a good shot and was not reviewable. After Andres Nocioni's desperation three fell well short on the other end, the Spurs walked off with the win and the Kings walked off on the short end of a controversial loss.

Parker had 25 points and Roger Mason added 22 for the Spurs, who got their second consecutive win. Both San Antonio and the Rockets are also tied with Portland for the third spot in the Western Conference standings, all with a 52-28 record.

Tim Duncan, who rested his balky knees on Sunday, is expected to return to the lineup tonight.

The Warriors, meanwhile, are coming off an impressive win in Salt Lake City Saturday when C.J. Watson poured in a career-high 38 points, doled out nine assists and hauled in seven rebounds to help Golden State upend the Utah Jazz, 118-108.

Robert Kurz donated a career-best 21 points and Kelenna Azubuike scored 18 for the Warriors, who have won four of their last six. Anthony Morrow ended with 13 points and Anthony Randolph 11 in the win.

San Antonio, which is 25-15 on the road this season, will be aiming for a four-game sweep of the season series with the Warriors tonight. Golden State is 21-19 at ORACLE Arena this season.

Manufan909
04-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Spurs need a 4W streak to end the season, hope a shorthanded Warriors team doesn't ruin it for them. I want the third seed!!!!

completely deck
04-13-2009, 07:09 PM
PG - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 12th yr) - 4 Anthony Randolph (6-10, 1st yr)
Spurs saved Duncan for this game, so expect him to make the most of it.

Tim at the PG spot? This I've got to see!! :lol :downspin:

Cloud786
04-13-2009, 07:35 PM
If the spurs win out, and houston loses one game, we get the third seed regardless of what portland does.. according to the new rule we would have tiebreaker over portland cause we won the division.

duncan228
04-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Spurs vs. Warriors game chat (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/spursworld/2009/04/spurs-vs-warriors-game-chat-1.html)
By Joe Alexander

The Spurs play the Golden State Warriors tonight at 7:30. Join Jeff McDonald and Mike Monroe of the Express-News for a live chat beginning at 9 p.m.

Here's the latest on the Warriors:

Janny Hu, San Francisco Chronicle
From the time he scorched the nets in summer league, to his historic 37-point starting debut in November and his continuing to lead the NBA in three-point percentage, undrafted guard Anthony Morrow has quietly shot down the odds.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/11/SPNP1716B2.DTL

Janny Hu, San Francisco Chronicle
Stephen Jackson plans on being at Oracle Arena tonight for the Warriors' home finale, and he might be taking a good look at the teammates around him.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/12/SPUA1719U4.DTL

Chomag
04-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Tim at the PG spot? This I've got to see!! :lol :downspin:

He has been bugging Pop to do this since draft day. Our PG problems are solved! :lol

duncan228
04-13-2009, 08:23 PM
...I am no big man. This is merely where they believe I should play because I am tall. I am really a point guard; I'm just a little bigger than everyone else is.

completely deck
04-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Oh TD, you're so great. :toast