PDA

View Full Version : Video of Michael Finley's Buzzer Beater

timvp
04-13-2009, 12:17 AM
2fiZjER5E68

I apologize in advance for the extra jab at King Fan at the end. :hat

ElNono
04-13-2009, 12:20 AM
LOL... that was horrible... I'll take the W anyways.

braeden0613
04-13-2009, 12:21 AM
nothing to see here folks...move along

Dex
04-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Watching it in real motion, it sounds like the buzzer goes off exactly as the shot goes up or slightly after. I'm not surprised at the call that was made on the flo0r, or the fact that they couldn't see enough to reverse it.

Now looking at the frame by frame, it's clear that the ball was still in his hands when the clock read zero. But it's nearly impossible for the human eye to be that precise. Until the NBA fixes the rule to let them review plays like this in some fashion, these mistakes are going to continue.

DPG21920
Did anyone else hear the guys shouting: "Do you have a heart ref, do you have a heart?".

Terrible way to lose, Kings played hard/well, but bad calls happen. Spurs fans complain a lot when bad calls happen against our team, so no biggie that others will complain as well.

EricB
Did the game semi remind you of that 2005 game vs the Clippers? :)

Dex
04-13-2009, 12:24 AM
Did anyone else hear the guys shouting: "Do you have a heart ref, do you have a heart?".

Terrible way to lose, Kings played hard/well, but bad calls happen. Spurs fans complain a lot when bad calls happen against our team, so no biggie that others will complain as well.

I did hear the guy yelling "NBA IS A JOKE!" at the very end.

Probably the same guy that was whining "WAHHH" every time the Spurs argued a foul.

tp2021
04-13-2009, 12:25 AM
The buzzer sounded WAY after the clock hit zero. If they aren't gonna have red lights, at least have the buzzer synced with the clock.

Roxsfan
04-13-2009, 12:25 AM
Watching it in real motion, it sounds like the buzzer goes off exactly as the shot goes up or slightly after. I'm not surprised at the call that was made on the flo0r, or the fact that they couldn't see enough to reverse it.

Now looking at the frame by frame, it's clear that the ball was still in his hands when the clock read zero. But it's nearly impossible for the human eye to be that precise. Until the NBA fixes the rule to let them review plays like this in some fashion, these mistakes are going to continue.

agreed.

fuck david stern that fat fucking retard.

rox still win the division:lmao

loveforthegame
04-13-2009, 12:26 AM
The buzzer doesn't go off until the ball is out of his hands. Interesting.

exstatic
I did hear the guy yelling "NBA IS A JOKE!" at the very end.

Probably the same guy that was whining "WAHHH" every time the Spurs argued a foul.

It was so quiet in the arena, you could hear that asshat all game long. I thought that idiot from the old Bullets arena moved to Sacto. :lol

baseline bum
Refs really blew that one. When I saw it go up I thought no way in hell is that counting.

timvp
04-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Watching it in real motion, it sounds like the buzzer goes off exactly as the shot goes up or slightly after.
Yeah, that's what I noticed. Going by the buzzer, the shot was good. That's probably due to sounds traveling slower but combine the possible late buzzer with no extra red light and I can see how they missed it.

Makes more sense to miss that than Fisher tackling Barry but I digress . . . .

timvp
04-13-2009, 12:29 AM
Refs really blew that one. When I saw it go up I thought no way in hell is that counting.
When Finley hit it I thought to myself how lame it was that Finley of course drains the one that didn't count. :lol

exstatic
04-13-2009, 12:29 AM
I apologize in advance for the extra jab at King Fan at the end. :hat

You're a very bad man.

Chris
04-13-2009, 12:30 AM
It was so quiet in the arena, you could hear that asshat all game long. I thought that idiot from the old Bullets arena moved to Sacto. :lol

I guarantee it was that asshat. Dude got his just desserts though.

exstatic
04-13-2009, 12:31 AM
The "no red light" is what killed any chance to call it late. I think they really depend on that out of their peripheral vision, since they have to check the 3 point line and the release of the shot.

GSH
04-13-2009, 12:32 AM
You guys do realize that the ball is out of his hand with exactly 3.0 seconds left on the GAME CLOCK? Don't argue with me... look at the video. The ball is out of his hands at precisely 3.0 seconds on the game clock.

The Spurs got the ball with less than 27 seconds left on the game clock. Which means that the 24 second clock should not have expired anyway. They may have started the shot clock too early, but the call was exactly right. I didin't think so until I saw this video. But the game clock can't lie, because it didn't get stopped during that sequence.

DPG21920
04-13-2009, 12:32 AM
By the way, what an unnecessary cheap shot L to the J.

I know what you are doing and I don't like it.

- Happy Gilmore

gameFACE
04-13-2009, 12:34 AM
Bad cal. Good win, I guess.:smokin

And forget the Kings fan. I liked My35 not bleeping out Tony's "Goddamn, Dan" at the end of the 1st half. About 38 seconds or so left.

exstatic
04-13-2009, 12:34 AM
When Finley hit it I thought to myself how lame it was that Finley of course drains the one that didn't count. :lol

When he hit the shot, and the call on the floor was good, I knew we were home, and that it wasn't reviewable, since there was still time left. I felt bad for Sacto's bench, but what's a ref to do?

DPG21920
04-13-2009, 12:35 AM
When he hit the shot, and the call on the floor was good, I knew we were home, and that it wasn't reviewable, since there was still time left. I felt bad for Sacto's bench, but what's a ref to do?

He should have a heart. He should have a freaking heart.

timvp
04-13-2009, 12:35 AM
You guys do realize that the ball is out of his hand with exactly 3.0 seconds left on the GAME CLOCK? Don't argue with me... look at the video. The ball is out of his hands at precisely 3.0 seconds on the game clock.

The Spurs got the ball with less than 27 seconds left on the game clock. Which means that the 24 second clock should not have expired anyway. They may have started the shot clock too early, but the call was exactly right. I didin't think so until I saw this video. But the game clock can't lie, because it didn't get stopped during that sequence.I watched it in slow motion. There was 3.2 separation between shot clock and game clock. Finley released it at about 2.9 or 3.0. It's closer that it looks when in slow motion but it was late.

exstatic
04-13-2009, 12:36 AM

The Spurs got the ball with less than 27 seconds left on the game clock. Which means that the 24 second clock should not have expired anyway. They may have started the shot clock too early, but the call was exactly right. I didin't think so until I saw this video. But the game clock can't lie, because it didn't get stopped during that sequence.

I was wondering that. Don't they start simultaneously? With one button push?

I remember thinking the shot clock expired, but would that be too much time left for Sacto?

J.T.
04-13-2009, 12:36 AM
Many an exercise bike was kicked at Arco tonight.

NuGGeTs-FaN
04-13-2009, 12:37 AM
dumb refs. Screwed the chance of the game going to 6OT like i wanted it to :bang

:lol Oh well. Kings will hopefully get owned tonight in Denver as well :smokin

redzero
It was a "Crab" buzzer beater, like LeBron's "block" on Jason Richardson was a Crab block.

A buzzer beater that doesn't beat the buzzer? Awesome.

exstatic
I watched it in slow motion. There was 3.2 separation between shot clock and game clock. Finley released it at about 2.9 or 3.0. It's closer that it looks when in slow motion but it was late.

Ah, so the hatahs should hate away.

exstatic
04-13-2009, 12:38 AM
It was a "Crab" buzzer beater, like LeBron's "block" on Jason Richardson was a Crab block.

A buzzer beater that doesn't beat the buzzer? Awesome.
:lmao It was a "crab shot".

timvp
04-13-2009, 12:39 AM
A buzzer beater that doesn't beat the buzzer? Awesome.It sounds like it beats the buzzer.

Listen.

J.T.
04-13-2009, 12:40 AM
BTW, timvp, is there any way the NBA can overturn this? I recall Miami having to play a few possessions from a previously played game against Toronto or someone else last year and the big deal was the first game was before they traded Shaq.

GSH
04-13-2009, 12:40 AM
I watched it in slow motion. There was 3.2 separation between shot clock and game clock. Finley released it at about 2.9 or 3.0. It's closer that it looks when in slow motion but it was late.

If you looked at again, I'm sure you're right. I thought it was 26.something, but I don't have it recorded. Ah, well, it was a break. But you take the good ones, since you have no choice but live with the bad ones.

timvp
04-13-2009, 12:43 AM
BTW, timvp, is there any way the NBA can overturn this? Nah, we're good. The NBA can't do anything about an error on a judgment call. Just on rules or technicalities.

Although I'm sure we'll see such plays suddenly become reviewable during the summer.

exstatic
04-13-2009, 12:45 AM
BTW, timvp, is there any way the NBA can overturn this? I recall Miami having to play a few possessions from a previously played game against Toronto or someone else last year and the big deal was the first game was before they traded Shaq.

That was an actual scoring error. An incorrect number of fouls was assessed on a player, who was disqualified. The previous replay was over 20 years before that, so I don't like Sacto's chances.

exstatic
04-13-2009, 12:47 AM
Nah, we're good. The NBA can't do anything about an error on a judgment call. Just on rules or technicalities.

Although I'm sure we'll see such plays suddenly become reviewable during the summer.

I'm wondering how they would do that. Right now, it's cut and dried. All quarter ending plays are reviewable. If you push that out to 5 seconds, there will be mistakes made at the 5.2 mark that aren't reviewable. It's the same thing at any time interval they say is reviewable.

DPG21920
04-13-2009, 12:48 AM
I'm wondering how they would do that. Right now, it's cut and dried. All quarter ending plays are reviewable. If you push that out to 5 seconds, there will be mistakes made at the 5.2 mark that aren't reviewable. It's the same thing at any time interval they say is reviewable.

Maybe if an operator catches the problem, even though the refs don't, they can review it.

exstatic
04-13-2009, 12:51 AM
So, the home town operator can call for a review, whenever?

I think maybe each coach gets one wildcard review per half, and if it's upheld, you get one more. If it's not, like football, you lose a FULL timeout.

lefty
04-13-2009, 12:51 AM
Aaaah, .4

J.T.
04-13-2009, 12:55 AM

So this will just end up being the Michael Finley Rule. Gotcha.

Strike
04-13-2009, 01:00 AM
See, that's the problem with reviewable plays. For now, it's end of period reviews. If they extend that to final 5 seconds of periods, people will be calling for an extension of 10 seconds, and so on. Hate to be the "slippery slope" guy but it does make you wonder. In my opinion, end of period shots and end of shot clock shots should be the only things reviewable.

The shot beat the buzzer but not the clock. Obviously the two were not synchronized. I don't know who to blame for that but equipment issues are not the responsibility of the visiting team.

I've bitched about calls on this board before. I've also slammed other teams' fans for bitching about calls. Truth is, most everyone does it when a questionable call goes against their team. I honestly feel bad for the Kings and their fans that the whole thing went down this way. But as long as you have human officials and timing equipment also operated by humans, shit like this will happen from time to time.

With all that said, controversy or not, I'll take the W every time.

Big P
04-13-2009, 01:17 AM
I have to thank the cheap ass owners, or whoevers idea it was to not put the RED LIGHT around the backboard. The refs use this ALL the time, no red light, means the ref has no way of knowing if the shot clock expired while he is also watching the actual shot, Sacto screwed themselves, we did them a favor.

baseline bum
04-13-2009, 01:33 AM

:lol Now you sound like Whottt.

KSeal
04-13-2009, 01:33 AM
Shitty NBA, watching it in slow mo it's obviously very clear he doesn't get it off in time but the buzzer buzzes well after he shoots, WTF! If this kind of bullshit happens in the playoffs and costs a team a game I'm not watching the NBA anymore. They need to get their shit togather, get the shot clock and buzzer in sink you fucking fools!!!!!

baseline bum
04-13-2009, 01:37 AM
Shitty NBA, watching it in slow mo it's obviously very clear he doesn't get it off in time but the buzzer buzzes well after he shoots, WTF! If this kind of bullshit happens in the playoffs and costs a team a game I'm not watching the NBA anymore. They need to get their shit togather, get the shot clock and buzzer in sink you fucking fools!!!!!

So I take it you were also pissed in game 5 of 04?

Frenzy
04-13-2009, 01:55 AM
i knew it didn't count as soon as he shot it...but i guess refs saw other wise. i was shocked... but hey why not take it.

KSeal
04-13-2009, 01:58 AM
So I take it you were also pissed in game 5 of 04?

:lmao five years later and spurs fans are still in denial, I love it.

baseline bum
04-13-2009, 02:00 AM
:lmao five years later and spurs fans are still in denial, I love it.

So you weren't serious then?

quickerblade
04-13-2009, 02:01 AM
its hard to tell in real time, but im happy for spurs fans

Texas_Ranger
04-13-2009, 02:12 AM

They better not!
If Portland can play with 6 players on the court and the refs do nothing, then Michael Finley can score a buzzer beater after the buzzer.

spursfan1000
04-13-2009, 02:13 AM
I really don't know what you guys are talking about, it looks like he lets go of it before the time runs out.

spursfan1000
04-13-2009, 02:14 AM
Oh nevermind, I thought it was the game time yall where talking about not the shot clock.

bigdog
04-13-2009, 02:14 AM
I really don't know what you guys are talking about, it looks like he lets go of it before the time runs out.

shot clock

crc21209
04-13-2009, 02:29 AM
When I saw it, no way in hell did I think they would count it. But hey we've been screwed so many times on clock malfunctions, blown calls, etc. It was long overdue that we get a "bad call" in our favor. :lol. A W is a W, I'll take it.

Chieflion
04-13-2009, 02:45 AM
The refs send the Kings closer to number 1 draft pick this off season.

Juanobili
04-13-2009, 04:48 AM
The shot beat the buzzer, but not the shot clock. People should just realize the NBA's mistake and not PUNISH the Spurs for it. Yes, the Spurs would've been the punished ones if the shot was ruled no good. :P

timaios
04-13-2009, 07:36 AM
It is not the refs fault.
Buzzer too late + no red light.
Fortunately the game was in Sacramento, so nobody can accuse the Spurs "clock" guys of this.

The Kings need new equipment.

mouse
04-13-2009, 07:51 AM
I really don't know what you guys are talking about,

I thought you gave up on the spurs?

Posted By spursfan1000

FIRE POP...HES CRAZY. He's done.

Posted By spursfan1000
I'm done watching the game, POP is a fucking retard and the refs suck.

The rest of you that gave up on your team will be quoted also.

JudynTX
04-13-2009, 08:01 AM
:D We sure did get a nice Easter egg yesterday, thanks Finley!

Laker Lanny
04-13-2009, 08:05 AM
:D We sure did get a nice Easter egg yesterday, thanks Finley!

You will need more than just eggs to get past round one!

101A
04-13-2009, 08:12 AM

A Lot can happen in those .3 seconds - it's really not that short a span of time.

-Lakerfan

bdictjames
04-13-2009, 08:35 AM
It was on his fingertips when the shot clock read 00.

A W is a W yes, but an overtime period could have been rightfully used there.

Spursmania
04-13-2009, 08:50 AM

Where have you been? :lol:lol

MoSpur
04-13-2009, 08:50 AM
About time we get an end of the game call go our way. It should not have counted, but who cares!

MoSpur
04-13-2009, 08:54 AM

As much as you annoy me sometimes Mouse, I like the fact when you call out so-called fans like T-Park who give up on the team. Good stuff.

Spursmania
04-13-2009, 08:57 AM

Mouse the FBI:cop

Watch out ST members, Mouse is on the loose, and he will call you out like he did the poster above.
Stay tuned...:corn:

“bright and shiny”
04-13-2009, 08:57 AM
As much as you annoy me sometimes Mouse,.

maybe you need Jesus?

7-NOZU2iPA8

Tevinn21
04-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Watch out for the spurs mang.. Kings should know better then to let finley just sit there open for the three... in my opinion he has shown that he can clutch many times.. :P

Tevinn21
04-13-2009, 02:56 PM
... also as for the calling people out on the thread...:nope i dare to be called out ... spurs fan since the third grade and have been ever year:ihit... lol only 18 though but i go back since David Robinson..:flag:

Flux451
04-13-2009, 02:59 PM
You will need more than just eggs to get past round one!

I really hope that isn't you in that picture.

Brutalis
04-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Karma is bitch. Our bad karma came in the playoffs against us, but the good karma we get comes on some crappy team late in the season? WHAT!?!?!

/kidding

DDS4
04-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Special props to Kurt Thomas....he held Nocioni just enough with the arm to prevent the closeout on Finley. Heh.

If you're gonna get away with it, might as well get your monies worth.

Creation88
04-13-2009, 03:51 PM
first time in forever that the Spurs have gotten a break with the refs.

Allanon
04-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Kings got the raw end of this one but bad calls happen to all teams.

If you want to win a game, take care of the first 47 minutes and don't leave it up to the refs to decide.

Spursfan092120
04-13-2009, 04:23 PM
agreed.

fuck david stern that fat fucking retard.

rox still win the division:lmao
lol...I'd like to see that..we've got Golden State and New Orleans left...you've got New Orleans, and a streaking Mavericks team left. We'll be taking that banner, thank you. If we win out, it's ours, no matter what.

Borosai
04-13-2009, 05:32 PM
The only reason people are complaining is because they wanted Finley to miss all his threes last night. Well, he got one. Sorta. Get over it.