PDA

View Full Version : An Internal Tension - blog from 48minutes of hell

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-13-2009, 07:01 AM
I think this sums up where our team is at, and the odd behaviour from Pop, quite beautifully:

AN INTERNAL TENSION FROM

When word of the Marcus Williams call up broke, many Spurs fans were hoping Malik Hairston would not be cut. When he saw minutes earlier in the season, he showed the makings of an impact defender. Unfortunately for Hairston, his offense is behind schedule. Even a limited offensive player like Bruce Bowen has a shot to go to–in his case, a deadly accurate corner 3. This is not the case with Hairston; his catch and shoot game is underdeveloped. But Hairston is only a rookie, with plenty of time before him to develop a 3 point shot. Spurs fans wanted to see Jacque Vaughn go.

And why not? Vaughn is playing on the final days of his contract, waiving him would have cost the Spurs very little. Moreover, Tony Parker, George Hill, and Roger Mason Jr. play the point. Vaughn is a 4th string point guard. As the team’s season fizzles out without much snapple, crack, or pop a 4th point seems superfluous, at best. It’s hard to imagine how Jacque Vaughn plays into the Spurs’ plans to retool. Malik Hairston, on the other hand, could play into their future.

The preference for Hairston over Vaughn was fueled by the ubiquitous sense that the team is at a crossroads. The path forward will not be the same path that got the team here. It will look similar at points, but the core of Tim Duncan-Manu Ginobili-Tony Parker will need more help, and that help needs to be younger. Even if that help can’t fully meet, it must approximate the length, speed, and athleticism of a team like the Trailblazers. This means the Spurs must find fits that are less like Jacque Vaughn and more like Malik Hairston.

Gregg Popovich has carved a unique place for himself in the pages of sports history. He’s a Hall of Famer, both as a coach and front office executive. How many men in the history of professional sports have pulled this off? It’s an elite little club, chaired by Red Auerbach. Invariably, failure follows on the heels of such attempts. It’s not an infrequent thing to see an elite coach attempt to hold an office in General Management concurrent with their gig on the sideline. Some find success, but it’s a rare thing. Usually, it ends in a mess.

Gregg Popovich has not only walked that tightrope, but he’s done so hopping on one foot while juggling bowling pins. Or, put differently, he’s shown olympian balance, especially with the rigors of small market shaking the line at either end. Men like R.C. Buford have done much of his heavy lifting, but Pop’s singular genius is almost without peer. That genius will be tested this offseason.

I sense an odd dissonance afoot, especially since the Spurs’ title hopes have been dashed against the rocks. Coach Pop and Front Office Pop need to call a meeting over their very best bottle of A to Z. They need to get on the same page. Let me explain.

After last night’s loss, the specter of age haunted the team’s postgame quotes.

* Pop: “We had a tough time sustaining and for us, this late in the year, it was a tough back-to-back. They came out and I appreciate the players’ effort, especially against a young, athletic team this late in the season.”
* Parker: “They were younger and more athletic than us. We had a good first half, had a big lead and then lost it, and the second half was kind of tough for. I thought we had no energy.”
* Mason Jr.: “We had a good win yesterday and an athletic, deep team tonight got the best of us.”

Do you see a common theme emerging? Here’s the issue: in comparison to the Spurs, young and athletic is the new norm. Whether early or late in the season, the Spurs are playing against young and athletic from this point forward. Bruce Bowen and Michael Finley are no longer effective counters. They need a new model, and they need it this offseason. Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili are too old to wait.

The dissonance between coach and front office is the difference between short term objectives and long term objectives. Coach Pop wants to win now, and he understands that playing Jacque Vaughn, who knows the full playbook, gives him a better chance than novice George Hill. But Front Office Pop recognizes that developing George Hill is a major priority for the future. Somewhere along the season’s road, Coach Pop wrestled away the wheel from Front Office Pop, and they’ve been fighting ever since. The struggle between these objectives, speaking honestly, has resulted in some regretful late season coaching decisions. George Hill regressed throughout the season, and in my estimation it’s because he went from having a consistent role to not knowing when of if he’d play. Roger Mason Jr. has weathered a similar stud to dud slump, and it directly corresponds to changes in the rotation.

But Pop gets a pass because he’s Pop. And he gets a pass because the Spurs are a 50 win team (in a difficult, younger conference) despite a firestorm of injury. Measured against the impossible measure of himself, he’s had a mediocre year. Measured against everyone else, he’s still top-tier. Unfortunately for the Spurs, they don’t have the luxury of everyone else’s standards.

Coach Pop and Front Office Pop need to find peace. They need an embrace and a wet, sloppy kiss. They need to commit to a roster that is younger and more athletic, but which still compliments the championship core. It’s a difficult road ahead, but it’s the only road the Spurs have to drive. It’s gonna have to take them home.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/04/09/an-internal-tension/

However, he doesn't mention Benophobia (TM), and should slot that in there somewhere. :lmao

urunobili
04-13-2009, 07:32 AM
48MH is always Spurs writing quality thanks for posting? :tu

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Yeah, it is a great blog. I should read everything he posts, there's really no excuse not to.

SenorSpur
04-13-2009, 12:28 PM
This blog is always quality, "must-read" material.

After last night’s loss, the specter of age haunted the team’s postgame quotes.

* Pop: “We had a tough time sustaining and for us, this late in the year, it was a tough back-to-back. They came out and I appreciate the players’ effort, especially against a young, athletic team this late in the season.”
* Parker: “They were younger and more athletic than us. We had a good first half, had a big lead and then lost it, and the second half was kind of tough for. I thought we had no energy.”
* Mason Jr.: “We had a good win yesterday and an athletic, deep team tonight got the best of us.”

This deficiency has been readily apparent all season. Against teams like the Blazers, Sixers and Fakers. The Blazers debacle was probably the most obvious and pronounced. Yes, even the players are starting to unconsciously admit what is obvious to many. This wouldn't be the first time that Tony has saracastically commented on the team's age and lack of athleticism.

Do you see a common theme emerging? Here’s the issue: in comparison to the Spurs, young and athletic is the new norm. Whether early or late in the season, the Spurs are playing against young and athletic from this point forward. Bruce Bowen and Michael Finley are no longer effective counters. They need a new model, and they need it this offseason. Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili are too old to wait.
This was obvious about 2 seasons ago. It was also made even more obvious after the series loss to the Fakers in the WCF. Of course, all anyone wanted to do was speak to how Ginobili's ankle injury affected their chances. His injury notwithstanding, the Spurs were STILL overmatched in terms of being outquicked, outhustled and outrebounded by a younger, quicker Fakers team.

The dissonance between coach and front office is the difference between short term objectives and long term objectives. Coach Pop wants to win now, and he understands that playing Jacque Vaughn, who knows the full playbook, gives him a better chance than novice George Hill. But Front Office Pop recognizes that developing George Hill is a major priority for the future. Somewhere along the season’s road, Coach Pop wrestled away the wheel from Front Office Pop, and they’ve been fighting ever since. The struggle between these objectives, speaking honestly, has resulted in some regretful late season coaching decisions. George Hill regressed throughout the season, and in my estimation it’s because he went from having a consistent role to not knowing when of if he’d play. Roger Mason Jr. has weathered a similar stud to dud slump, and it directly corresponds to changes in the rotation.
Pop has invited this type of roster chaos and confusion among some players. I simply don't understand why Pop is unwilling or unable to go with what was working during the early part of the season. If there wasn't all this upheaval with roles, some players, specifically Hill and Mason, would likely have solidified in their roles by now. Furthermore, Pop hangs his hat on defense. It's obvious the defensive tenacity and efficiency has slipped noticeably this year, and it's not just becaue Duncan is hobbled. Getting younger at a couple of spots would allow them to recommit to that philosophy. Hell, it would also allow them to compete better on back-to-back nights, too. Hill and Hairston are both very committed defenders. Just sayin'.

But Pop gets a pass because he’s Pop. And he gets a pass because the Spurs are a 50 win team (in a difficult, younger conference) despite a firestorm of injury. Measured against the impossible measure of himself, he’s had a mediocre year. Measured against everyone else, he’s still top-tier. Unfortunately for the Spurs, they don’t have the luxury of everyone else’s standards.

I give Pop credit and kudos for being an intelligent, hall-of-fame-caliber coach and one who has built a sterling reputation for being one of the best in-game managers in the NBA. The team deserved credit for getting to 50 wins. However, they did so by the skin of their teeth. In the process, they've had some terrible losses. Given up leads and simply have been abymssal offensively and defensively, at times.

I also give him and RC credit for trying to take steps over the offseason in that direction. However, they didn't do enough and Pop failed to commit toward the development and integration of Hill & Hairston. Now Hill and Williams. That is precisely WHY I don't give Pop a pass here. I expected more from him. I expected him to have evolved the talent level to a point where the team could compete (physically and athleticially) with the competition.

Coach Pop and Front Office Pop need to find peace. They need an embrace and a wet, sloppy kiss. They need to commit to a roster that is younger and more athletic, but which still compliments the championship core. It’s a difficult road ahead, but it’s the only road the Spurs have to drive. It’s gonna have to take them home.

Over the years, he's shown an ability to adapt to changes in style of play, rule changes, etc. When many of the NBA's top teams resorted to "small-ball" tactics, he finally acquiesced during the 2006 WCSF versus the Mavs and did the same.

Pop is not a stupid man. I know he sees this issue. This team is at a constant disadvantage at the SG/SF position - even before Manu was injured. The landscape of the conference has changed over the past 5 years. Even the past 2 seasons. It's painful to watch how Pop has jepoardized their championship window by not committing toward the evolution of the roster. IMO, he waited too long. Injuries are inevitable as players age. Pop did a very poor job of hedging himself against that possiblility by sticking with older, ineffective players that cannot replicate production or effort of his stars. There's still time, but not this season. We're at critical mass and it shouldn't come to that.

urunobili
04-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah, it is a great blog. I should read everything he posts, there's really no excuse not to.

i subscribed to their newsfeed.. that way yo have it on your bookmarks with the latest all the time...

Amuseddaysleeper
04-13-2009, 01:29 PM
48Minutes is an incredible blog. One of my most visited pages on the net.

It was cool when they gave timvp props for his post on how the Spurs could win it all this year (Spurstalk gets mentioned a solid amount on there)

HarlemHeat37
04-13-2009, 01:37 PM
great write-up there..

I've been saying it for a while, as mentioned in the post..this off-season is going to be the most important off-season in a while..

SenorSpur
04-13-2009, 02:28 PM
great write-up there..

I've been saying it for a while, as mentioned in the post..this off-season is going to be the most important off-season in a while..

And we thought last offseason was important. Too bad the Spurs head into this offseason without a first-round draft pick.

Manufan909
04-13-2009, 06:25 PM
48Minutes is an incredible blog. One of my most visited pages on the net.

It was cool when they gave timvp props for his post on how the Spurs could win it all this year (Spurstalk gets mentioned a solid amount on there)

Which thread was that?

HarlemHeat37
04-13-2009, 06:31 PM
And we thought last offseason was important. Too bad the Spurs head into this offseason without a first-round draft pick.

last offseason wasn't big, but we did make some progress..drafting Hill, giving shots to Tolliver and Hairston, stashing Gist..those are some good signs..

this offseason is much more important, because it's now clear that the current lineup can't do it anymore..there aren't any excuses like last year..

the draft pick is irrelevant IMO, since we already have young guys that will get a shot..I meant it more from a developing and trades standpoint..having Manu's expiring contract, and having multiple expiring contracts to package gives the team many options, since there are a number of bad teams that will want to send out some good talent that isn't helping them win right now..

obviously it will depend on whether or not the Spurs front office chooses to pursue these options..and once we do acquire some young talent, whether or not they even get to play..

TheProfessor
04-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Coach Pop and Front Office Pop need to find peace. They need an embrace and a wet, sloppy kiss.
Well that's a disturbing visual.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Which thread was that?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122318

superbigtime
04-13-2009, 08:17 PM
After our scouting and assistant coaching talent was pilfered by the league over the past few years, it seems like it's just RC and Pop at the top with few other advisors. I forget the name of the guy from Houston we got, but some Rockets fan aquaintances were glad to see him go. I think new ideas from new people are in order. Or perhaps priorities are finally becoming painfully obvious. I'm hoping for a productive offseason, but this season isn't over (yet).

Thomas82
04-13-2009, 08:56 PM
i subscribed to their newsfeed.. that way yo have it on your bookmarks with the latest all the time...

That's a good idea.