PDA

View Full Version : The Independent: A Bit of Context on Somali Piracy

Winehole23
04-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Johann Hari: You are being lied to about pirates (http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/johann-hari-you-are-being-lied-to-about-pirates-1225817.html)

Some are clearly just gangsters. But others are trying to stop illegal dumping and trawling

Monday, 5 January 2009

Who imagined that in 2009, the world's governments would be declaring a new War on Pirates? As you read this, the British Royal Navy – backed by the ships of more than two dozen nations, from the US to China – is sailing into Somalian waters to take on men we still picture as parrot-on-the-shoulder pantomime villains. They will soon be fighting Somalian ships and even chasing the pirates onto land, into one of the most broken countries on earth. But behind the arrr-me-hearties oddness of this tale, there is an untold scandal. The people our governments are labelling as "one of the great menaces of our times" have an extraordinary story to tell – and some justice on their side.

Pirates have never been quite who we think they are. In the "golden age of piracy" – from 1650 to 1730 – the idea of the pirate as the senseless, savage Bluebeard that lingers today was created by the British government in a great propaganda heave. Many ordinary people believed it was false: pirates were often saved from the gallows by supportive crowds. Why? What did they see that we can't? In his book Villains Of All Nations, the historian Marcus Rediker pores through the evidence.

If you became a merchant or navy sailor then – plucked from the docks of London's East End, young and hungry – you ended up in a floating wooden Hell. You worked all hours on a cramped, half-starved ship, and if you slacked off, the all-powerful captain would whip you with the Cat O' Nine Tails. If you slacked often, you could be thrown overboard. And at the end of months or years of this, you were often cheated of your wages.

Pirates were the first people to rebel against this world. They mutinied – and created a different way of working on the seas. Once they had a ship, the pirates elected their captains, and made all their decisions collectively, without torture. They shared their bounty out in what Rediker calls "one of the most egalitarian plans for the disposition of resources to be found anywhere in the eighteenth century".

They even took in escaped African slaves and lived with them as equals. The pirates showed "quite clearly – and subversively – that ships did not have to be run in the brutal and oppressive ways of the merchant service and the Royal Navy." This is why they were romantic heroes, despite being unproductive thieves.

The words of one pirate from that lost age, a young British man called William Scott, should echo into this new age of piracy. Just before he was hanged in Charleston, South Carolina, he said: "What I did was to keep me from perishing. I was forced to go a-pirateing to live." In 1991, the government of Somalia collapsed. Its nine million people have been teetering on starvation ever since – and the ugliest forces in the Western world have seen this as a great opportunity to steal the country's food supply and dump our nuclear waste in their seas.

Yes: nuclear waste. As soon as the government was gone, mysterious European ships started appearing off the coast of Somalia, dumping vast barrels into the ocean. The coastal population began to sicken. At first they suffered strange rashes, nausea and malformed babies. Then, after the 2005 tsunami, hundreds of the dumped and leaking barrels washed up on shore. People began to suffer from radiation sickness, and more than 300 died.

Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, the UN envoy to Somalia, tells me: "Somebody is dumping nuclear material here. There is also lead, and heavy metals such as cadmium and mercury – you name it." Much of it can be traced back to European hospitals and factories, who seem to be passing it on to the Italian mafia to "dispose" of cheaply. When I asked Mr Ould-Abdallah what European governments were doing about it, he said with a sigh: "Nothing. There has been no clean-up, no compensation, and no prevention."

At the same time, other European ships have been looting Somalia's seas of their greatest resource: seafood. We have destroyed our own fish stocks by overexploitation – and now we have moved on to theirs. More than $300m-worth of tuna, shrimp, and lobster are being stolen every year by illegal trawlers. The local fishermen are now starving. Mohammed Hussein, a fisherman in the town of Marka 100km south of Mogadishu, told Reuters: "If nothing is done, there soon won't be much fish left in our coastal waters."

This is the context in which the "pirates" have emerged. Somalian fishermen took speedboats to try to dissuade the dumpers and trawlers, or at least levy a "tax" on them. They call themselves the Volunteer Coastguard of Somalia – and ordinary Somalis agree. The independent Somalian news site WardheerNews found 70 per cent "strongly supported the piracy as a form of national defence".

No, this doesn't make hostage-taking justifiable, and yes, some are clearly just gangsters – especially those who have held up World Food Programme supplies. But in a telephone interview, one of the pirate leaders, Sugule Ali: "We don't consider ourselves sea bandits. We consider sea bandits [to be] those who illegally fish and dump in our seas." William Scott would understand.

Did we expect starving Somalians to stand passively on their beaches, paddling in our toxic waste, and watch us snatch their fish to eat in restaurants in London and Paris and Rome? We won't act on those crimes – the only sane solution to this problem – but when some of the fishermen responded by disrupting the transit-corridor for 20 per cent of the world's oil supply, we swiftly send in the gunboats.

The story of the 2009 war on piracy was best summarised by another pirate, who lived and died in the fourth century BC. He was captured and brought to Alexander the Great, who demanded to know "what he meant by keeping possession of the sea." The pirate smiled, and responded: "What you mean by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, while you, who do it with a great fleet, are called emperor." Once again, our great imperial fleets sail – but who is the robber?

DarrinS
04-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Oh, so these guys are really just environmental activists?

Ok.

balli
04-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Damn interesting. Thanks for posting.

That nuclear waste shit is f'd up. Beyond the human cost, God only knows how the oceans are still supporting life.

balli
04-13-2009, 05:26 PM
No, this doesn't make hostage-taking justifiable, and yes, some are clearly just gangsters

Ok.
How horrible to consistently view everything in the black and white. Nevermind, I suppose it's true that ignorance is bliss.

DarkReign
04-13-2009, 06:26 PM
If remotely true, cant blame them for their actions minus the hostage taking.

Doesnt make me feel bad for those people killed today in the ransom of a US citizen, but at least there is an understanding.

Although I highly doubt all pirates are as virtuous as conveyed in this article.

ChumpDumper
04-13-2009, 06:35 PM
If they all agree about protecting their coast, they should get together and form a government that might have a chance to do so.

Clandestino
04-13-2009, 06:41 PM
what the fuck ever

DarkReign
04-13-2009, 07:18 PM
If they all agree about protecting their coast, they should get together and form a government that might have a chance to do so.

good point.

what the fuck ever

Not a bad suggestion, either. Fuck em.

Winehole23
04-13-2009, 08:06 PM
If they all agree about protecting their coast, they should get together and form a government that might have a chance to do so.Last time they tried to do so, we gave the Ethiopians the green light to invade.

That worked out well.

Homeland Security
04-14-2009, 07:36 AM
Did the Independent publish that with a straight face? Seriously?

Just a few paragraphs apart, they breathlessly claim that Europeans simultaneously are poisoning the waters with nuclear waste, and then harvesting seafood from these toxic, irradiated waters to put on European dinner plates.

If somebody were trying to write a parody of a far-left media outlet acting as apologists for Third-World criminals, I don't think they could outdo what the Independent accomplished here.

What's next, an expose about how Mexican drug lords are really just taking a stand against American hegemony? Maybe the killings are Juarez are really the work of the same insiders who pulled off 9/11? Are the Illuminati hiding the beneficial health effects of cocaine from us in order to protect the pharma industry?

DarrinS
04-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Did the Independent publish that with a straight face? Seriously?

Just a few paragraphs apart, they breathlessly claim that Europeans simultaneously are poisoning the waters with nuclear waste, and then harvesting seafood from these toxic, irradiated waters to put on European dinner plates.

If somebody were trying to write a parody of a far-left media outlet acting as apologists for Third-World criminals, I don't think they could outdo what the Independent accomplished here.

What's next, an expose about how Mexican drug lords are really just taking a stand against American hegemony? Maybe the killings are Juarez are really the work of the same insiders who pulled off 9/11? Are the Illuminati hiding the beneficial health effects of cocaine from us in order to protect the pharma industry?

The Taliban are really just the Middle East branch of the Sierra Club and their mission is the protection of the endangered Opium Poppy plant.

Winehole23
04-14-2009, 08:22 AM
The urge to simplify is is relentless and human, but I swear, it's like some of y'all are allergic to complexity.

angrydude
04-14-2009, 11:36 AM
complexity for the sake of complexity doesn't do anyone any good either.

Winehole23
04-14-2009, 11:38 AM
complexity for the sake of complexity doesn't do anyone any good either.Sure, but that's not the case here. The info in the OP relates to the question "why Somali piracy?"

What's wrong with a little context?

ElNono
04-14-2009, 01:32 PM
The Taliban are really just the Middle East branch of the Sierra Club and their mission is the protection of the endangered Opium Poppy plant.

Conversely, Mother Teresa was a nazi operative working under the guise of christianity... :lol

DarrinS
04-14-2009, 01:36 PM
The pirates are just community organizers -- or, as Al Sharpton recently described them, a "voluntary coast guard".

Winehole23
04-14-2009, 02:19 PM
The pirates are just community organizers -- or, as Al Sharpton recently described them, a "voluntary coast guard".Only you say so. I did not and neither did the article.

RandomGuy
04-16-2009, 03:33 AM

Ok.

It kind of morphed from a movement of fishermen attempting to protect their economic interests to what it is today. The first few fisherman who discovered that they could hold ships for ransom from their owners spread the word that it was profitable, and that kind of money will attract a lot of people in a place as poor as Somalia.

There are still elements of the original movement there, but the hundreds of millions of dollars in ransoms have made the "for-profit" part of this problem well-equipped...

RandomGuy
04-16-2009, 03:36 AM
The pirates are just community organizers -- or, as Al Sharpton recently described them, a "voluntary coast guard".

Essentially that was how it started.

Four main pirate groups are operating along the Somali coast.
--The National Volunteer Coast Guard (NVCG), commanded by Garaad Mohamed, is said to specialize in intercepting small boats and fishing vessels around Kismayu on the southern coast.

--The Marka group, under the command of Sheikh Yusuf Mohamed Siad (also known as Yusuf Indha'adde), is made up of several scattered and less organized groups operating around the town of Marka.

--The third significant pirate group is composed of traditional Somali fishermen operating around Puntland and referred to as the Puntland Group.

--The Somali Marines are the most powerful and sophisticated of the pirate groups. It has a military structure, with a fleet admiral, admiral, vice admiral and a head of financial operations.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/para/pirates.htm

Implicit in this is that Mr. Sharpton knew more about this than Darrin thought. :p:

RandomGuy
04-16-2009, 03:45 AM
Further context on the problem in Indonesia.

The Straits of Malacca is a maritime choke point for ships going from the Indian Ocean to the Pacific. Asian defense experts examined the problem here today at the Asia Security Conference, known as the Shangri-La Dialogue, hosted by the International Institute for Strategic Studies.

A story in a recent Straits Times detailed a pirate boarding of a Thai ship. Pirates - armed to the teeth - boarded the ship, kidnapped the captain and a crewman and took the vessel's trading documents. All will be held for ransom, which the article said will be paid.

More than 50,000 ships per year pass through the straits, piracy is increasing. The worry among defense experts in the region is that a terrorist group may affiliate with a pirate and attempt to close the waterway

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2005/06/mil-050605-afps01.htm

FaithInOne
04-16-2009, 11:06 AM
I don't see the big deal.

Two parties want to use the same water.

Let the stronger force win. :toast Seems simple enough.

Just like Nigeria. The oil co.s fucked over the people and trashed their living environment, now the Nigerians fight back and succeed sometimes. Good game.

Winehole23
04-16-2009, 01:27 PM
I don't see the big deal.

Two parties want to use the same water.

Let the stronger force win. :toast Seems simple enough.

Just like Nigeria. The oil co.s fucked over the people and trashed their living environment, now the Nigerians fight back and succeed sometimes. Good game.It's telling that you imply there are only two sides. Besides, your natural selection metaphor is a crock. There is no guarantee that the strongest survive. All we know for sure is that the survivors survive. Merely continuing to exist is no guarantee of fitness.

FaithInOne
04-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Ships should arm themselves and fight back or get kidnapped.

Keep. It. Simple. Somalia's.

balli
04-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Ships should arm themselves and fight back or get kidnapped.

Keep. It. Simple. Somalia's.

You haven't read much (in general) but especially pertaining to how much it costs to insure armed ships have you?

balli
04-22-2009, 11:20 AM
A 25-year-old Somali pirate has told the BBC's Mohamed Olad Hassan by telephone from the notorious den of Harardhere in central Somalia why he became a sea bandit. Dahir Mohamed Hayeysi says he and his big-spending accomplices are seen by many as heroes.

I used to be a fisherman with a poor family that depended only on fishing. The first day joining the pirates came into my mind was in 2006. A group of our villagers, mainly fishermen I knew, were arming themselves. One of them told me that they wanted to hijack ships, which he said were looting our sea resources.

'National service'

He told me it was a national service with a lot of money in the end. Then I took my gun and joined them. Now I have two lorries, a luxury car and have started my own business in town.

Years ago we used to fish a lot, enough for us to eat and sell in the markets. Then illegal fishing and dumping of toxic wastes by foreign fishing vessels affected our livelihood, depleting the fish stocks.

I had no other choice but to join my colleagues.

The first hijack I attended was in February 2007 when we seized a World Food Programme-chartered ship with 12 crew. I think it had the name of MV Rozen and we released it after two months, with a ransom.

One last job

I am not going to tell you how much it was, or three other hijackings I have been involved in since.

My ambition is to get a lot of money so that I can lead a better life. I only want one more chance in piracy to increase my cash assets, then I will get married and give up.

Piracy is not just easy money - it has many risks and difficulties. Sometimes you spend months in the sea to hunt a ship and miss.

Sometimes when we are going to hijack a ship we face rough winds, and some of us get sick and some die. Sometimes you fail in capturing and sometimes you come under threat by foreign navies, but all we do is venture.

Heroes

Let me give you a good example.

Patrol boat checks out fishing vessel off Somalia. So it is no surprise to see us in the same water, pirating in search of money - there is no difference.

We have local support; most of the people here depend on pirates directly or indirectly.

Because if there is a lot of money in the town they can get some through friendship, relatives or business. Also our work is seen by many in the coastal villages as legal and we are viewed as heroes.

The only way the piracy can stop is if [Somalia] gets an effective government that can defend our fish.

And then we will disarm, give our boats to that government and will be ready to work.

Foreign navies can do nothing to stop piracy.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8010061.stm