PDA

View Full Version : Shannon Brown better than Delonte West/Boobie Gibson?

Allanon
04-13-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm sitting here wondering how and why Shannon Brown got traded by the Cavs and then waived by the Bulls. I don't know anything about him prior to coming to the Lakers except he was pretty good in the 2005 NCAA tourney for Michigan.

He ain't no Superstar talent but from what I've seen of him, he's more athletic and a better defender than Delonte West. West is the better scorer but that's not too important from the PG position.

Defensively, Brown is a helluva lot better than Boobie Gibson/Jordan Farmar.

Athletically/hops, he's probably top 10 in the NBA.

His stats right now suck but that's because he has been playing behind Fisher/Farmar. His minutes are starting to go up now and he looks very good in those minutes.

The Lakers have what seems to be a high-flying, strong, big point guard (6'4 210 lb) to replace Derek Fisher and all it cost was salary filler in the Radmanovic/Morrison trade.

Shannon Brown looks like Starter material....so what am I missing for him to have gotten waived so early in his career?

-K-X-OxMJz8
K0N5D728RkE
DohMKRJXAuo

IronMexican
04-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Boobie, yes. West, no.

gaKNOW!blee
04-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Boobie, yes. West, no.

dirk4mvp
04-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Everyone's better than Boobie. Has he done anything important since his flukish shooting a few playoffs ago?

Also, West is a way better defender than Brown is. He's the 2nd best perimeter defender on a top 3 defensive ball club in the league. Brown isn't.

The Gemini Method
04-13-2009, 06:20 PM
I don't know if you can for sure say he's better/not better than Delonte West since he isn't called upon to fill as big a role as Delonte does in Cleveland. If given the same amount of playing time, who knows if this debate would be in favor either way. However, Shannon is slowly ascending to the 2nd spot at PG and is utilized mostly for his size and defense on the PGs in the west. In Cleveland, West is one of many that fill in the role as the 3rd scorore on any given night. He scores better than Shannon, but Shannon isn't expected to contribute heavily on the offensive end. All I know is this; I'm beginning to like Brown better than Farmar.

Matchman
04-13-2009, 06:34 PM
isnt that what hes supposed to do when hes playing with the best player in the league? i mean if you cant even pat your stat when Kobe is drawing multiple defenders away i dont think you can do anything else...

ginobili's bald spot
04-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Better than Delonte West? Hellllll no. But I love what Shannon has been doing for us lately. Anyone who keeps Farmar off the floor is my best friend.

timvp
04-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Luke Walton > LeBron.

j-money24
04-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Luke Walton > LeBron.

Anyone is better than LeBron.

KSeal
04-13-2009, 07:46 PM
isnt that what hes supposed to do when hes playing with the best player in the league? i mean if you cant even pat your stat when Kobe is drawing multiple defenders away i dont think you can do anything else...

Farmar, Vujacic, and recently Fisher all can't. SB has been a stud lately, he's as athletic as a human being could possible be.

Showtime24 LAKERS
04-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Luke Walton > LeBron.

They're both better than Manu that's for sure! :toast

haha try to stay healthy first!

Showtime24 LAKERS
04-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Shannon hasn't proven himself to even be a legitamate backup in the playoffs, yet we want to discuss about if he's better than West or Gibson. He is really unproven. Yes he's showing flashes of brightness, but that's it.

Wait for him to grow and develop, maybe find a consistent jumpshot, and in the years, this would be a good question.

timvp
04-13-2009, 08:02 PM
They're both better than Manu that's for sure! :toast

haha try to stay healthy first!:lmao Hilarious! Laker Fan is such a witty breed.

Haha, indeed.

Allanon
04-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Shannon hasn't proven himself to even be a legitamate backup in the playoffs, yet we want to discuss about if he's better than West or Gibson. He is really unproven. Yes he's showing flashes of brightness, but that's it.

Wait for him to grow and develop, maybe find a consistent jumpshot, and in the years, this would be a good question.

It's easy to jump on the Shannon Brown Bandwagon once he proves himself. Much more interesting to talk about it before it happens. I don't care if Farmar's shot is off but his defense is just as bad as it was last year which doesn't make sense for a quick player like Farmar.

I'm not a Farmar hater at all, Shannon's just outplayed him and opposing point guards of late.

I find it odd that a team with a West/Boobie rotation can so easily give up on a guy like Shannon Brown. He's either a steal or scrub. He doesn't look like a scrub who is traded by the Cavs then waived by the Bulls and then signed by the Bobcats and included as filler for Radmanovic.

Like some of the other guys said, he definitely looks better right now than Farmar and if he plays anything like this in the Playoffs, the Lakers might have stumbled into their Starting point guard.

Thunder Dan
04-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Shannon Brown sucks, sure he can look good dunking, but we demand defense and Shannon never figured out what that was. Gibson only plays to hot down 3s and he was better and is better than Shannon at doing that.

Many PackYao
04-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Delonte West> Shannon Brown just on the name alone. Shannon, like Tracy is a girl's name.:p:

KidCongo
04-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Isn't he playing for a new contract?

Has athleticism and that's about it.

Bob Lanier
04-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Maybe. After all, in this world Shannon Brown played for Michigan - and presumably Lew Alcindor, after his dominant stint at USC and title run in Chicago, went to play for the Warriors alongside Brown's fellow Wolverine Magic Johnson.

Delonte West> Shannon Brown just on the name alone. Shannon, like Tracy is a girl's name.:p:
And just what the hell kind of name is "Delonte"?

Many PackYao
04-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Maybe. After all, in this world Shannon Brown played for Michigan - and presumably Lew Alcindor, after his dominant stint at USC and title run in Chicago, went to play for the Warriors alongside Brown's fellow Wolverine Magic Johnson.

And just what the hell kind of name is "Delonte"?
It's more manly and "hood" than Shannon.:lol

The_Dude
04-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Delonte West is one of the top defenders (amongst guards) in the league. Shannon Brown is not even close to the level that West plays at.

Shannon Brown is a pine-rider who will play smart for 5 minutes before going full-retard for the next 15. There's a reason he didn't play for the other teams.

KidCongo
04-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Laker fan wishes he had Delonte playing PG for his team. After all he was riding the pine for the Sonics behind Luke Ridnour and Earl Watson.

He's a better PG and SG than Brown.

Allanon
04-13-2009, 10:15 PM
Laker fan wishes he had Delonte playing PG for his team. After all he was riding the pine for the Sonics behind Luke Ridnour and Earl Watson.

He's a better PG and SG than Brown.

Nah, Delonte to me is a very average point guard, wouldn't want him on the Lakers unless he was dirt cheap.

Delonte could certainly be much better than Shannon Brown, but that's not saying much.

KidCongo
04-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Nah, Delonte to me is a very average point guard, wouldn't want him on the Lakers.

Delonte could certainly be much better than Shannon Brown, but that's not saying much.

wtf? :lol

I believe the title says Shannon Brown better than Delonte West?

Allanon
04-13-2009, 10:20 PM
wtf? :lol

I believe the title says Shannon Brown better than Delonte West?

There's a "question mark" in the title.

KidCongo
04-13-2009, 10:25 PM
There's a "question mark" in the title.

Delonte is better than Brown and Gibson is a better fit in Cleveland than Brown, to answer your question.

Allanon
04-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Delonte is better than Brown and Gibson is a better fit in Cleveland than Brown, to answer your question.

Thanks for the answer.

I've only seen Shannon a couple of times, but he's looked like serious player a couple of times already. Just couldn't figure out why a player with such good looking potential gets booted around like trash.

It's a very small sample but he looks like he can be the starting point guard for the Lakers next year.

Thunder Dan
04-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Shannon Brown is as good as Flip Murry was for the Cavs in 2006. He came on late in the season to make you think he was actually better than he was.

ginobili's bald spot
04-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Laker fan wishes he had Delonte playing PG for his team.

I know I do. He would be a perfect fit for us.

Bob Lanier
04-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Shannon Brown is as good as Flip Murry.
Considering that Flip Murray is Satan in mesh shorts, what does that say about Shan?

Killakobe81
04-13-2009, 11:36 PM
Look i think Delonte IS the better player ...but I dont believe Delonte is a "Great" defender in the EAst Mo williams can make ASG in the west he is behind ...Paul, Williams, Nash and Chauncey ...at 2gaurd In the west there Is Roy, durant, Kobe, Oj Mayo she-Mac, and even JR smith ...
Delont can NOT gaurd ANY of those guys well at PG or SG ...I would take Sbrown for defense over them 1 on1 maybe in Cavs team concepts West id better but man to man no way west is better

iggypop123
04-14-2009, 12:40 AM
shannon is a better fit than he is with cleveland. he is too big for a pg but too small for sg, but for us thats perfect since the triangle just wnats a guard who can defend, try and shoot 3's and its also strategic so if there are any screens its easy to switch. he is very handy when playing the celtics when they run that pierce rondo, or house rub screen at the top of the key where everyone switches, where with brown you arent stuck with some weak pg you have somebody who can do at least something

Donkeybong
04-14-2009, 02:42 AM
he was definitely a nice surprise. Just work on his outside shot and we have found a nice piece.

KSeal
04-14-2009, 02:52 AM
I hope SB can improve his outside shot, then hopefully we can trick a team into thinking Farmar is still good, get them to take Adam as well and then we can resign, Lamar, Ariza and Brown and we're set for rings upon rings upon rings.

J.T.
04-14-2009, 03:09 AM
Boobie Gibson and Delonte West are this year's version of Sasha Vujabitch and Jordan Farmar.

ginobili's bald spot
04-14-2009, 03:46 AM
Boobie Gibson and Delonte West are this year's version of Sasha Vujabitch and Jordan Farmar.

No way. Gibson sucks but herpes face is the real deal.

KidCongo
04-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Gibson will carve up the playoffs.