PDA

View Full Version : Your NBA Regular Season Awards...

layupdrill
04-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Make your picks for the following awards:

1. Rookie of the Year -

2. Coach of the Year -

3. 6th Man of the Year -

4. Most Valuable Player -

5. Most Disappointing Player This Year -

scanry
04-13-2009, 06:17 PM

1. Rookie of the Year - Derrick Rose

2. Coach of the Year - Mike Brown

3. 6th Man of the Year - Jason Terry

4. Most Valuable Player - Lebron James

5. Most Disappointing Player This Year - Allen Iverson

BlackSwordsMan
04-13-2009, 06:19 PM
5. Most Disappointing Player This Year -Manu

layupdrill
04-13-2009, 06:19 PM

2. Coach of the Year - Rick Adleman

4. Most Valuable Player - Dwyane Wade (sorry LBJ)

5. Most Disappointing Player This Year - The entire Phoenix Suns team

balli
04-13-2009, 06:29 PM

1. Rookie of the Year - Mayo

2. Coach of the Year - Pop (All the Spurs fans are having meltdowns, but any other coach and they're probably in ninth.)

3. 6th Man of the Year - I'm over giving it to a guy who's playing 30+ minutes every night, so Outlaw, Millsap if he counts

4. Most Valuable Player - LeBron

5. Most Disappointing Player This Year - Carlos "I'm getting a raise regardless" Loser
Anybody got someone besides Howard for DPOY?

Pelicans78
04-13-2009, 06:29 PM

2. Coach of the Year - Byron Scott

3. 6th Man of the Year - James Posey

4. Most Valuable Player - Chris Paul

5. Most Disappointing Player This Year - Peja Stojakovich

balli
04-13-2009, 06:33 PM
^ :rolleyes Unfortunately for him, the Hornets don't have any rookies.

SpursDynasty
04-13-2009, 06:34 PM

1. Rookie of the Year -

2. Coach of the Year -

3. 6th Man of the Year -

4. Most Valuable Player -

5. Most Disappointing Player This Year -

2. Coach of the Year - George Karl. Must be doing something right if the Nuggets of all teams are the #2 seed.

3. Sixth Man of the Year - Hard to say, are there really any true Sixth Man players anymore? With scrub players such as Trevor Ariza and Rafer Alston starting games now, being a starter is really something anyone can do now.

4. MVP - Dwayne Wade. Higher PPG, higher FG% than Kobe and LeBron. His team is 15-67 if he's not on the team. Instead, 5th seed.

5. Most Disappointing Player - LeBron James - Couldn't hit water from a boat against +.500 teams. But what's new there? Sure, he'll get 55 vs. the Knicks, but Jacque Vaughan could do that.

scanry
04-13-2009, 06:37 PM

2. Coach of the Year - George Karl. Must be doing something right if the Nuggets of all teams are the #2 seed.

3. Sixth Man of the Year - Hard to say, are there really any true Sixth Man players anymore? With scrub players such as Trevor Ariza and Rafer Alston starting games now, being a starter is really something anyone can do now.

4. MVP - Dwayne Wade. Higher PPG, higher FG% than Kobe and LeBron. His team is 15-67 if he's not on the team. Instead, 5th seed.

5. Most Disappointing Player - LeBron James - Couldn't hit water from a boat against +.500 teams. But what's new there? Sure, he'll get 55 vs. the Knicks, but Jacque Vaughan could do that.

:wow:wow

dirk4mvp
04-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Rookie - Mayo

Coach - McMillan

6th - JET by a landslide

MVP - LeBron

Most Disappointing - Josh Howard

Matchman
04-13-2009, 06:38 PM

1. Rookie of the Year - Rose

2. Coach of the Year - Adelman

3. 6th Man of the Year - Terry

4. Most Valuable Player - James

5. Most Disappointing Player This Year -Arenas

scanry
04-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Rookie - Mayo

Coach - McMillan

6th - JET by a landslide

MVP - LeBron

Most Disappointing - Josh Howard

You're kidding right???

What did you guys expect from Josh Howard, Lebron like driving abilities, Kobe like jumpshots and Wade like free throw shooting abilities?

Iverson has it locked in cruise control for the next 2-3 years...

baseline bum
04-13-2009, 06:41 PM
2. Coach of the Year - Phil Jackson
4. Most Valuable Player - LeBron James
5. Most Disappointing Player This Year - Baron Davis

balli
04-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Boo Terry. Boo Manu last year.

IronMexican
04-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Rookie - I love Mayo, but it's Rose

Coach - Mike Brown

6th Man - JET

MVP - LBJ

Most Dissappointing - Tough call. I'll go with Steve Nash

dirk4mvp
04-13-2009, 06:44 PM
You're kidding right???

What did you guys expect from Josh Howard, Lebron like driving abilities, Kobe like jumpshots and Wade like free throw shooting abilities?

More than what he's done, if that's what you wanted to know.

Matchman
04-13-2009, 06:47 PM
for the most disappointing part, you have to pick the player that you actually expect to contribute at the beginning of the season. I did not pick Josh Howard because i did not expect him to have any significant impact on the Mavs anyways.

layupdrill
04-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Baron Davis should be getting a few votes after that bloated contract he got last season. T-Mac might get some late votes too

layupdrill
04-13-2009, 06:48 PM
for the most disappointing part, you have to pick the player that you actually expect to contribute at the beginning of the season. I did not pick Josh Howard because i did not expect him to have any significant impact on the Mavs anyways.

Good breakdown and I agree, which is why my all underachieving team consists of Baron Davis and Iverson in the backcourt, T-Mac and Amare in the front court, and Greg Oden in the paint.

dirk4mvp
04-13-2009, 06:49 PM

Expectations were very high for Howard with a new coach coming in. Stick to following the rockets.

cobbler
04-13-2009, 06:49 PM
1. Rookie of the Year - Mayo

2. Coach of the Year - Van Gundy

3. 6th Man of the Year - Jet

4. Most Valuable Player - Lebron

5. Most Disappointing Human This Year - SpursDynasty

Pelicans78
04-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Elton Brand. Philly expected big things this season and alot was due to Brand.

Kai
04-13-2009, 06:53 PM
1. Rookie of the Year - Derick Rose

5. Most Disappointing Player This Year - T-Mac by far

sook
04-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Oh yea!!! That tells you how dissapointing Brand was, no one remembered him after that HUGE aquisition this summer

balli
04-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Elton Brand. Philly expected big things this season and alot was due to Brand.

Good call. I didn't expect him to play like did back in 05-06 or whenever it was he had that great year, but I also didn't expect him to half-ass his way to a season ending injury.

kamikazi_player
04-13-2009, 06:55 PM
MVP - Lebron James

6th Man of the year - J.R. Smith

Rookie of the Year - O.J. Mayo

Defensive player of the year - Dwight Howard

Most improved player of the year - Nate Robinson

Most disappointing player of the year - T-Mac, and he's one of my favorite players, Amare could be on this list as well, but I think T-Mac was more disappointing.

Coach of the year - Stan Van Gundy

LakerHater
04-13-2009, 07:04 PM
1. Rookie of the Year - O.J. Mayo

2. Coach of the Year - Stan Van Gundy (http://www.nba.com/coachfile/stan_van_gundy/index.html?nav=page)

3. 6th Man of the Year - J.R Smith

4. Most Valuable Player -Dwayne Wade

5. Most Disappointing Player This Year - Elton Brand, Allen Iverson

bdictjames
04-13-2009, 07:15 PM
1. Rookie of the Year - D. Rose

2. Coach of the Year - Gregg Popovich.. no probably Mike Brown

5. Most Disappointing Player This Year - Baron Davis/Elton Brand

j-money24
04-13-2009, 08:07 PM

4. Most Valuable Player -LeBron James

5. Most Disappointing Player This Year -CO-Losers Jordan Fartmar, Vujabitch

resistanze
04-13-2009, 08:29 PM
5. Most Disappointing Player This Year (T-Back Award) - AI

stretch
04-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Boo Terry. Boo Manu last year.

Here is a little research I did on the history of the 6th man of the year award. Out of the 26 times it has been awarded (not including this year), 12 of them have been to players who averaged 30+ mpg. And another 6 have been given to people who played 28-30 MPG.

Winners of this award has consistently been players who averaged a significant amount of minutes, and were also typically players that would be in the game during the final moments of close contests. And look at the names of some of the players that have won this award...

Antawn Jamison
Toni Kukoc
Dell Curry
Detlef Schrempf
Eddie Johnson
Ricky Pierce
Kevin McHale

They were all players like Jason Terry and Manu Ginobili... players that were stars, but not quite superstars, and were used for explosion off the bench. It's not like this is some new trend of putting all-star calibler players on the bench as the 6th man.

Purple & Gold
04-14-2009, 12:47 PM
ROY - Rose
COY - Mike Brown
6th man - Terry (would go with Odom but he started a bunch of games)
DPOY - Howard
MIP - Birdman
MVP - Wade (rest of his team is D-League)
Most disappointing - Iverson (expected it from T-Mac not Iverson)

Morg1411
04-14-2009, 12:54 PM
1. Rookie of the Year - Derrick Rose (honorable mentions to a shitload of this year's rookies, though, most notably O.J. Mayo and Brooke Lopez)

2. Coach of the Year - Greg Popovich (kept his cool in what has been a very up-and-down year for the Spurs...honorable mention to Larry Brown and Vinny Del Negro)

3. 6th Man of the Year - Jason Terry (duh)

4. Most Valuable Player - Dwayne Wade (Heat are shit without him)

5. Most Disappointing Player This Year - Tracy McGrady

Many PackYao
04-14-2009, 01:13 PM

2. Coach of the Year - I hate GK, but I am impressed how he got the Thuggets to play this well. I thought they would get his Porky Pig ass fired by the end of this season.

3. 6th Man of the Year - Turtlehead Terry

4. Most Valuable Player -Dway Way ( he even added a consistant three-point shot this year)Considering the trades during mid-season and playing alongside new or young/inexperienced teammates he did a mighty fine job of leading and just continuing to do what has to be done.

5. Most Disappointing Player This Year -This is the Stacy McLady award

stretch
04-14-2009, 01:17 PM
I don't get how it is that it seems on an almost yearly basis, the criteria for MVP changes.

Sometimes its the best player on the team with the best record. Other times it's exactly as the name implies... most VALUABLE player. Then it may be the best player on the favorites to win it all. Then its the leagues biggest "stat guy". It's constantly changing.

mardigan
04-14-2009, 01:29 PM
ROY-Rose/Lopez
MVP-Wade
Most Improved-Kevin Durant
6th Man-Jason Terry
Coach-Pop
DPOY-Howard
Disappointment-Gotta be Brand. Or the entire Clippers team.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Rookie of the Year - Rose
Rookie of the Year (if his coach didn't hold him back as a bench player the entire season) - Beasley

Coach of the year - Mike Brown (Stan Van Gundy is going to win this award since it's turned into the "who can run their starters into the ground with huge minutes and win the most regular season games by chucking the most threes" award regardless of the fact Brown's been an overall better coach)

6th man - The J.E.T., easy one'

MVP - Lebron James.....as much as I don't want to I gotta pick him

Most disappointing player - Amare Stoudemire

The Gemini Method
04-14-2009, 02:32 PM
1.) Rookie of the Year: Derrick Rose - Of all the awards, this one can use a conference based awarding. It is the only award that, in my opinion, would be better to have Western and Eastern conference winner. With that being said, I go with Derrick Rose. Yes he was the first overall pick, but he has been solid throughout and spectacular at times. Why do you think the Bulls are even in playoff contention (albeit a watered down East playoff race)? In the aforementioned awarding, I'd have: Eastern Conf. Derrick Rose/Western Conf. O.J. Mayo

2.) Sixth Man - JET aka Jason Terry would get my vote for this award. Proof needed? The body of work: 2nd highest scoring avg on the Mavericks at 19.5 speaks volumes. Did anyone see him single-handedly keep the Mavericks in the last gave vs. the Lakers? I did. Honorable mention goes to: Travis Outlaw, Lamar Odom, and Nate Robinson.

3) Coach of the Year - Erik Spoelstra. Why? Well, for a rookie coach to have lead a team with D-Wade and practically nothing else into the playoffs and a 5th seed is huge. Doing more with less (talent and experience) means to me that he had the best campaign as a coach. Not to mention him having to replace the venerable Pat Riley is no walk in the park! Runner-ups: Stan Van Gundy, Mike Brown, and Jerry Sloan.

4) Defensive Player of the Year - Dwight Howard. Just a pure beast in the paint and a dominant shotblocker, it is his trophy for the most obvious reasons but his biggest impact is what the likes of Bill Russell and Shaq had in their heyday: intimidation. Other D Mavens include: LeBron James, Chris Paul, and Chris Andersen.

5) MVP - LeBron James. With a supporting cast that is still unproven, LeBron has taken his game (and his team) to a level that franchise has never seen before. Curse or no Cleveland curse, he has the city believing that he can finally deliver on the tremendous hype casted upon him. Without James, the cavs are probably a 39 - 42 win team but w/him they are 66-15. MVPs in their own right, but not the one that counts: Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, and Dwight Howard.

6) MDP (Most Disappointing Player) Allen Iverson. Thought to be the sparkplug that re-energized the most disappointing team of the year, Detroit, Iverson was nothing more than a revert to his primadonna ways and a pouting season-long distraction. Tremendous heart and pride for an undersized 2 guard, AI should've come to the realization that his main objective in Detroit was to bring them closer to another championship. This includes taking on any role to achieve such a goal. Those not unlike AI: Yi Jianlian, Baron Davis, and Sasha Vujacic

baseline bum
04-14-2009, 02:37 PM
I don't get how it is that it seems on an almost yearly basis, the criteria for MVP changes.

Sometimes its the best player on the team with the best record. Other times it's exactly as the name implies... most VALUABLE player. Then it may be the best player on the favorites to win it all. Then its the leagues biggest "stat guy". It's constantly changing.

The MVP award is often for "the great player we screwed out of the award in the past", which is why Kobe got it last year even though his 2006 season was far superior and why James is getting it now. The MVP has been a joke ever since Malone won it over Jordan in a year Michael led them to 69 wins. They got sick of giving it to Jordan, then got sick of giving it to Shaq (after only one! :lol) and handed it to Iverson instead, damn near gave it to Kidd, and then Nash because he was a nicer guy than Kobe.

sook
04-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Ok, i have hated on Rick for being a "Crappy" coach all season long. But he has won me over. Win or lose in Dallas tommorrow I am proud to have him as our coach. 5 different starting lineups the first half of the season and this great run after AS break.

He gets my vote

Rick Adelman for COY

Ghazi
04-14-2009, 03:12 PM

4. Most Valuable Player -Lebron James

5. Most Disappointing Player This Year - Elton Brand

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-14-2009, 03:18 PM
I don't understand how more people haven't pick Amare for MDP. With the crap that moron said in the pre-season about making the first all NBA defensive team and leading the league in rebounding only to have another season where he finds an excuse for why he can't rebound or play defense, and then his "Oops i got some of my mom's crack in my eye" accident, it should be a landslide.

JoeTait75
04-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Rookie of the Year: Derrick Rose, Chicago

Coach of the Year: Stan Van Jeremy, Orlando (can't go wrong with MB here either)

Sixth Man of the Year: JET

Most Valuable Player: LeBron James, Cleveland

Most Disappointing Player: Elton Brand, Philadelphia

Warlord23
04-14-2009, 03:21 PM
1. Rookie of the Year - My pick: Derrick Rose; Who I think will win: Derrick Rose

2. Coach of the Year - My pick: Mike Brown; Who I think will win: Brown or Van Gundy

3. 6th Man of the Year - My pick: Lamar Odom till Bynum went down; Who I think will win: Jason Terry

4. Most Valuable Player - LeBron James; Who I think will win: LeBron James

5. Most Disappointing Player This Year - Tie between Tracy McGrady and Baron Davis

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-14-2009, 03:22 PM
How can this year's most disappointing player be someone that played like 5 games the year before?

layupdrill
04-14-2009, 05:21 PM
T Mac seems to be running away with one award

fevertrees
04-14-2009, 05:43 PM
6th man of the year - devin brown #23

Sportstudi
04-14-2009, 05:57 PM
1.) Rookie of the Year: Derrick Rose

2.) Sixth Man: Jason Terry

3) Coach of the Year: Mike Brown

4) Defensive Player of the Year: Dwight Howard

5) MVP: LeBron James (but I could pick Wade as well, it's damn close)

6) MDP (Most Disappointing Player): Either Allen Iverson, T-Mac or Yi Jianlian. Hmm... Baron Davis and the entire Clippers-team are worth to mention as well and of course Amar'e Stoudemire... :rolleyes

ploto
04-14-2009, 06:00 PM
What about Nate McMillan for COY?

DAWixard
04-14-2009, 08:41 PM
MVP - Lebron James

6th Man of the year - Rudy Fernandez

Rookie of the Year - Kevin Love

Defensive player of the year - Chris Andersen

Most improved player of the year - Rajon Rondo

Most disappointing player of the year - Elton Brand

Coach of the year - Rick Adelman

Findog
04-14-2009, 08:45 PM

2. Coach of the Year - Ron Jeremy

5. Most Disappointing Player This Year - T-Mac

Amaso
04-14-2009, 08:50 PM

2. Coach of the Year - Stan Van Gundy

3. 6th Man of the Year - J.R. Smith

5. Most Disappointing Player This Year - Allen Iverson

6. Most Improved Player This Year - Devin Harris

7. Defensive Player of the Year - Yao Ming

Kai
04-15-2009, 01:00 AM
Oh yeah my Most improved is Danny Granger.

Austin_Toros
04-15-2009, 06:39 AM
Nene for most improved player!

spursfan1000
04-15-2009, 07:46 AM
Rookie of year- Derrick Rose

Coach of year- Mark Van Gundy (Magic)

6th man- Jason Terry

Most Valuable Player- Dwayne Wade

Most dissapointing player- Manu Ginobili

Most improved player- Nene Hillario

Defensive player- ????