PDA

View Full Version : How the Spurs could get an extra 4-6 points per game

GSH
04-14-2009, 03:24 AM
When a professional athlete is struggling - whether it is hitting a baseball, a golf ball, or a free throw - a good place to start looking for the problem is in their fundamentals. I've thought for a good portion of the season that the Spurs are leaking points in every game unnecessarily; and they could improve by several points per game (net) - by just tightening up their passing.

Several times in every single game, the Spurs have someone wide open for a shot, but a bad pass forces the player to reach for the ball and shoot a rushed, contested shot. Or, worse, it forces him to pass up the shot altogether - and then to try and create something with only a few seconds left on the shot clock. It's also too common to see them lob a weak little pass to another player right after they have crossed mid-court, when they are just starting to set their offense. I can't count the number of times I've complained that they seem to believe that those passes are "freebies". Usually when I complain it's because some hungry young player has jumped out in front of one and taken it down for a dunk on the other end.

I know a lot of fans don't want to hear any comments in defense of players like Bonner, or Ime, or Finley. But a lot of the time when those guys get the ball, it's as an afterthought. And I am convinced that some portion of their missed shots are caused by taking a pass that is way off the mark, and being forced to jack up a rushed, contested shot rather than having time to line up and get their feet under them. The way it looks from the stands is that, too often, the passer is throwing the ball in the direction of the other player, not at a spot.

One of the great golf instructors of all time, Harvey Penick, is famous for telling his students to "take dead aim". Instead of hitting towards a row of bushes, pick out a single bush or limb. In his words, "Once you address the golf ball, hitting it has got to be the most important thing in your life at that moment. Shut out all thoughts other than picking out a target and taking dead aim at it." The science of it is that if you put a conscious effort into focusing on where you want to hit the ball, your effort will contain more quality then if you just set up and hit.

The Spurs need to approach their passes like that. Instead of throwing the ball in the direction of a teammate, they need to focus on putting every pass "on the numbers". And Pop needs to kick their asses and remind them that there are no "gimmes" in the NBA, and that every pass is contested, or should be. It sounds like over-simplification, but even the best athletes tend to fall into the same traps. Harvery Penick's students were among the best golfers in the game, but they all benefitted (more than once) from having him remind them to "take dead aim". The Spurs just look like a group that has grown casual about passing the ball, and I think it's consistently costing them points. One less fast break in a game... a couple of extra uncontested 3-point shots... those things could change a 7 game series.

Yuixafun
04-14-2009, 03:35 AM
Yea lazy passes always draw my ire.

Value each possession, got damnit.

Chieflion
04-14-2009, 06:27 AM
I have no problems with turnovers for the Spurs, usually it is just the blown layups that irritate the hell out of me.

Chomag
04-14-2009, 07:08 AM
I'll admit that our guys are pretty good at frustrating me with lazy passes sometimes, but don't we lead the league is fewest turnovers per game this season? Now I'm not sure if that means our guys are that good at handling the ball or that the whole league is just that terrible. :lol

GSH
04-14-2009, 07:26 AM
I'll admit that our guys are pretty good at frustrating me with lazy passes sometimes, but don't we lead the league is fewest turnovers per game this season? Now I'm not sure if that means our guys are that good at handling the ball or that the whole league is just that terrible. :lol

The turnovers are only a small part of the problem. A lot of times they wind up throwing up a prayer at or near the buzzer due to an errant pass earlier in the possession. And, without going into painful detail, those blown possessions are much more likely to be followed by quick, easy buckets on the other end.

It's not considered a turnover when we get a shot up, so it doesn't show up in the stats. But it is the difference between getting a higher percentage shot on one end, and giving up a higher percentage shot on the other end. And it translates into points.

I can think of a few instances in last night's game, right off the top of my head. I'll try and pull the clock times from a few of them, if I have time.

SenorSpur
04-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Good post. Very valid points.

See it all the time. It's frustrating as hell to watch. A good example of that lazy passing mindset is Tony's penetrating, dropoff pass to Duncan. Usually, it's down by his feet and either gets kicked by a defender or stolen alltogether. It's obvious that teams have scouted this play and often are "sitting home" on that pass, much like an NFL defensive back.

On other times, I've seen Finley make so many terrible passes to teammates - either in traffic or outlet passes from him that end up at the scorer's table. It makes you wonder "how in the world could he have botched up something that simple?"

These are just two examples fundamental basketball plays, whose successful execution should be second nature to a professional basketball team. There are others. Another one is the classic failure to box out on the defensive glass.

ElNono
04-14-2009, 08:27 AM
Taking care of the ball and better execution earns teams more points.
News at 11.

Does this required it's own thread?

greyforest
04-14-2009, 09:06 AM
these are pro atheletes

they do nothing but play basketball all day

Spursmania
04-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Excellent post with valid points. If to the unprofessional eye these passes sometimes seem errant or flippant, I could only imagine what Pop thinks of them during tape time. If the Spurs sharpen up their passing and execution, they surely could be adding several points to the score. Let's hope they sharpen up their skills and focus when the Playoffs begin. :toast

ginobilized
04-14-2009, 10:44 AM
I noticed some passes on the money last night to Mr. Bonner.
He responded by draining the 3 two times in a row.

Ball movement is the key for the Spurs always I believe....hopefully that chemistry is there enough for these players to be able to make the right, timely pass with accuracy.
They are darn tough to beat when that happens.

GSH
04-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Taking care of the ball and better execution earns teams more points.
News at 11.

Does this required it's own thread?

Gee... I guess not. It probably makes more sense to go back and look at the thread you started for "Argentina vs. Poland", or "If Finley Makes That Shot". I love the last line in your "Why Jacque Vaughn?" thread so much, I made it my new sig. (Are you just trying to become my permanent sig bitch?)

Any of you that are golfers will understand that there are times when you realize you've just been hitting putts in the direction of the hole, rather than focusing on making them. But there are also times when you get in the zone of hitting them to the center of the cup, and not just the edges.

Thinking about "executing better" is general. Having a precise target for every pass is specific. You can't focus on a generality.

ElNono
04-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Gee... I guess not. It probably makes more sense to go back and look at the thread you started for "Argentina vs. Poland", or "If Finley Makes That Shot". I love the last line in your "Why Jacque Vaughn?" thread so much, I made it my new sig. (Are you just trying to become my permanent sig bitch?)

Any of you that are golfers will understand that there are times when you realize you've just been hitting putts in the direction of the hole, rather than focusing on making them. But there are also times when you get in the zone of hitting them to the center of the cup, and not just the edges.

Thinking about generally "executing better" is general. Having a precise target for every pass is specific. You can't focus on a generality.

I thought you were going to put in your sig how wrong I was about the Spurs being able to get the #3 seed. What happened, I owned your ass again, just like in this thread?

"Execution and taking care of the ball gives team more points". I mean, really, did you just start watching basketball?

Did you figure that one on your own, brainiac? :lmao

longtimelurker
04-14-2009, 12:00 PM
better free throw shooting anyone? I mean really, how is it that the spurs with c. engelland can't manage to up their f.t. % for everyone (except maybe finley)? I don't think it's the case that they are mentally weak either.

Trainwreck2100
04-14-2009, 12:33 PM
just reading the sentence i honestly thought the recommendation was going to be "go bang a fat chick"

spurs4me
04-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Agree with the sloppy passing, but a big yell-out about all of the missed free-throws - an easy 4-6 points per game - would be interesting to know how many games this year could have been won if there hadn't been so many missed free throws - the Celtics game just off the top of my head...

spursfaninla
04-14-2009, 12:59 PM
I think this is a function of the changing lineups.

Also, I think you are demanding perfection, which is not possible. I think the evaluation you have made is not comparing the Spurs to anyone other than their "perfect pass" potential self.

I don't see other teams make perfect passes all the time either.