PDA

View Full Version : If the Spurs were to somehow play the Cavs again in the Finals this year....

Blake
04-14-2009, 11:22 AM
The Spurs would win the series 4-3.

If Manu were healthy, 4-2.

Brazil
04-14-2009, 11:23 AM
lets try Win the next game against NO and pass the first round before

Blake
04-14-2009, 11:30 AM

nah. I don't think so.

I'm thinking finals vs Cavs.

Longley
04-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Lets take it step by step.

Blake
04-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Lets take it step by step.

Let's not.

I'm thinking what would happen if the Spurs played the Cavs this year.

GodFamilySPURS
04-14-2009, 11:36 AM
I like Blake's confidence but yea..we should take it step by step

Blake
04-14-2009, 11:42 AM
I like Blake's confidence but yea..we should take it step by step

:lol

I'm not confident.

I don't think the Spurs get through the West.

....but if they did and faced the Cavs, I think they would beat them.

You guys feel free to take it step by step. I'll go ahead and keep with the pipe dreamin.

ElNono
04-14-2009, 11:44 AM
let's not.

I'm thinking what would happen if the spurs played the cavs this year.

lol

mexicanjunior
04-14-2009, 12:54 PM

Spurs would lose that series 4-0 and only one of those games (probably game 3) would even be competitive.

Loquacist
04-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Spurs would probably lose the Finals 4-2.

The Cavs are firing on all cylinders and given their 39-1 home court advantage - and that they would have home court advantage for the Finals against San Antonio, they'd probably dominate at home. San Antonio would win 2 on its own home court, but LeBron and Co. would clean it all up in Game 6 at Quicken Loans Arena.

Loquacist
04-14-2009, 01:00 PM

What's the point of us fans focusing on anything? It's not like we make any difference in the outcome.

So why not ponder what-if scenarios about the Finals. They can't help, and they can't hurt.

TDomination
04-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Well if we were to play them, that would mean that we probably ended up beating the Lakers somehow, which means that we have become a great team during the playoffs.

So if we were to face the Cavs in the finals, we would win 4-2

Loquacist
04-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Well if we were to play them, that would mean that we probably ended up beating the Lakers somehow, which means that we have become a great team during the playoffs.

So if we were to face the Cavs in the finals, we would win 4-2

Or it could mean that there was a shocking upset of the Fakers by another team.

And just because we beat the Fakers (if,) doesn't mean the Cavs are beatable as well. Two different teams, perhaps equally powerful.

spursfaninla
04-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Cavs are a dominant team with essentially no weaknesses.

The Spurs are, without Manu, a good team.

Good team loses to dominant team.

With Manu, Spurs probably lose to this Cavs team 3-4.

Without, we lose 2-4, maybe 4-1.

Reality, bro.

Oh, Gee!!
04-14-2009, 01:51 PM
my question is whether the spurs will finally repeat next year

anonoftheinternets
04-14-2009, 01:59 PM
my question is whether the spurs will finally repeat next year

depends on how tired they get from this championship run. Of course manu would be fresh and offset it, so yea, best chance of repeat is next year. :toast

Tully365
04-14-2009, 02:37 PM
I was like a lot of fans last year in saying that the main reason the Spurs couldn't challenge the Lakers in the conference finals was because Manu was not healthy. But if the Spurs couldn't be champs with Manu at 50% or 60%, how can they be with Manu at 0%... and Duncan not 100%? I love the Spurs and am still rooting for them, but the recent onslaught of threads that want to argue that the Spurs are still in a good position to win the nba title seem like sad rationalizations to me, and the level of anger aimed at people who are simply saying that the objective chances for the Spurs are smaller now than they would've been with a healthy Manu & Tim is the very definition of homerism.

Tully365
04-14-2009, 02:41 PM
I posted this same sentiment in another thread under the user name Felisberto, but with an extra dash of sarcasm thrown in, and my post was erased. I'd forgotten posters like sequspur, EricB, and whottt can be rude to everyone and it's ok, but if I dare poke a little fun at timvp's homerism, it's unacceptable! :lol ah, fairness...

fusionjazzman72
04-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Wow you must be dreaming or smoking something I wish I could smoke to think the Spurs would even make it that far thus even having a chance at the Cavaliers!!

Loquacist
04-14-2009, 03:53 PM
I was like a lot of fans last year in saying that the main reason the Spurs couldn't challenge the Lakers in the conference finals was because Manu was not healthy.

Not to get off-topic, but if the Spurs hadn't blown a 20-point lead in Game 1, and if Barry had gotten the foul call from the ref in a later game, the Spurs could have well had a 3-2 series advantage in that WCF.

Agloco
04-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Let's not.

I'm thinking what would happen if the Spurs played the Cavs this year.

The exact opposite of what happened in 2007.

Agloco
04-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Not to get off-topic, but if the Spurs hadn't blown a 20-point lead in Game 1, and if Barry had gotten the foul call from the ref in a later game, the Spurs could have well had a 3-2 series advantage in that WCF.

People tend to over look that. Not only a 3-2 advantage, but a 3-2 advantage with the next game in SA.....

That series was a hell of a lot closer than people give credit for, even without Manu.

E20
04-14-2009, 04:13 PM
You're moving too fast. Let's take this one game at a time.

Summers
04-14-2009, 04:16 PM
What's the point of us fans focusing on anything? It's not like we make any difference in the outcome.

So why not ponder what-if scenarios about the Finals. They can't help, and they can't hurt.

We'll jinx it.

Strike
04-14-2009, 06:58 PM
With a shit-ton of luck, I think the spurs have a slim chance at making the finals with no Manu and a banged up Tim. I can't see them beating the Cavs in the finals, though.

But I will hope against hope until the horn sounds on an elimination game loss.

:flag:

spursfan1000
04-14-2009, 06:59 PM
lets worry about the 1st round before we start thing about finals.

Loquacist
04-14-2009, 07:39 PM
lets worry about the 1st round before we start thing about finals.

What us fans think or say has no effect on the players or coaches. So why should we restrain ourselves?

SouthTexasRancher
04-14-2009, 10:15 PM
:lol

I'm not confident.

I don't think the Spurs get through the West.

....but if they did and faced the Cavs, I think they would beat them.

You guys feel free to take it step by step. I'll go ahead and keep with the pipe dreamin.

How are you arriving at this? We don't have anyone who can stop Lebron...not even slow him down. And they kicked our collective asses about as bad as any ass kicking by or from or to anyone in the NBA. Against us they look like North Carolina and we look like the Little Sisters of Charity Elementary School basketball team. Now if Manu & Tim were both healthy and we were clicking then I'd say us in 5 or 6. Right now the ONLY team that even slightly stands a chance against them are the LaLa Land Fakers and that is if Bynum is healthy alongside Gasol and Kobe is lighting up the scoreboard.

Ditty
04-14-2009, 10:17 PM

i couldn;t handle the stress of a 7 game series again

but IMO right now the cavs would win 4-2

we have a chance against any other team though in the east though

lets hope the lakers fail :lobt2:

fotan2
04-14-2009, 11:36 PM
if we can get through the lakers, beating the cavs is not even a problem. but we need to beat the lakers first.

Blake
04-15-2009, 12:16 AM
if we can get through the lakers, beating the cavs is not even a problem. But we need to beat the lakers first.

+1

cherylsteele
04-15-2009, 12:28 AM
Do the 2006-2007 Dallas Mavs ring a bell? They looked just as dominant, if not more dominating. Don't let the regular season fool you.
The difference is the Cavs actually play pretty good "D".
Where as Dallas did not.

TampaDude
04-15-2009, 06:13 AM
I'll keep rooting for the Spurs until they are eliminated, but we all know, deep down, that it's gonna be Lakers and Cavs in the Finals. Cavs in 6.

Spursone
04-15-2009, 07:54 AM
Don't ASSUME, because it makes an ASS of U and ME!:wow

rascal
04-15-2009, 08:40 AM
I posted this same sentiment in another thread under the user name Felisberto, but with an extra dash of sarcasm thrown in, and my post was erased. I'd forgotten posters like sequspur, EricB, and whottt can be rude to everyone and it's ok, but if I dare poke a little fun at timvp's homerism, it's unacceptable! :lol ah, fairness...

Nice post.

Blake
04-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Don't ASSUME, because it makes an ASS of U and ME!:wow

no, it really doesn't.

I'll go ahead and assume you think nobody has ever heard that line before.

mytespurs
04-15-2009, 03:52 PM

I agree...sort of. I don't know if the Spurs would've won the series but blowing that game definitely hurt and set the tone for that series.