PDA

View Full Version : Duncan: "I saw a white guy."

Kori Ellis
03-19-2005, 01:48 AM
Ho-hum: Spurs in playoffs: Parker nets 24 points in 50th victory of the season
Web Posted: 03/19/2005 12:00 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA031905.1C.BKNspurs.bobcats.gamer.15091ceec.htm l

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

The Spurs picked up their 50th victory along with a playoff berth Friday night, then greeted both accomplishments with a shrug of their shoulders.

After dismissing the Charlotte Bobcats 93-76 at the SBC Center, the Spurs did what they always do: They showered, dressed and left. No one opened a bottle of champagne or mapped out a parade route.

"I really feel the focus of our team has turned to considering what we have to do in these remaining games to prepare ourselves to play our best basketball," Brent Barry said. "It's not about our opponents. It's not about who's playing. It's about the team collectively.

"Let's do all the things we've been working on, and let's do them better so we can ramp ourselves up and tighten the screws for the playoffs."

For one more night, the Spurs tightened their defense when needed, holding Charlotte to 31.7 percent shooting in the second half. Though the expansion Bobcats' first visit to San Antonio ended like most of their trips this season, they still left impressed.

"We just played the best team in the league," Charlotte coach Bernie Bickerstaff said. "There is no doubt in my mind."

Tony Parker scored a game-high 24 points, and Tim Duncan added 19. The Spurs showed off their depth, collecting 44 points from their bench, 26 of which came from Devin Brown and Robert Horry.

Parker helped break open the game in the third quarter, darting around the Bobcats for 12 points. For the night, he made 11 of 17 shots to go along with his five assists and five rebounds.

"Tony Parker reminds me a little of Allen Iverson, with his speed and quickness off the dribble," Bickerstaff said. "I don't know if he has the explosiveness of Iverson, but he's a handful."

A few of Parker's missed shots even proved productive. After his off-balance 18-foot attempt at the end of the third quarter fell a half-foot short of the rim, Nazr Mohammed caught the ball and instantly flushed a dunk at the buzzer.

"I thought Tony's energy was great all night," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "I thought his aggressiveness really set a good tone for us."

Fueled by Charlotte's 25 turnovers, the Spurs scored a season-high 28 points in transition. Duncan even started a fast break early in the third quarter by throwing the ball ahead to ... Rasho Nesterovic.

Nesterovic, who doesn't have the fleetest of feet, looked startled as he caught the pass. He immediately stopped and pitched the ball to Parker, who drove for a layup.

After Charlotte called timeout, Popovich covered his eyes in jest. Duncan, who walked over to the bench laughing, apparently thought he was passing to Barry.

"I saw a white guy," he said. :lol

"Rasho was a little miffed when I showed concern about that pass," Popovich said, "because he's pretty sure I'm holding his game back."

The Spurs did their best to limit Bobcats rookie forward Emeka Okafor. The second overall pick in last June's draft, Okafor missed 10 of 13 shots and committed seven turnovers.

Though Brown threw down a powerful dunk over him, Okafor did his best to defend Duncan, who went 9 of 20 with six rebounds.

"We went through a lot of options," Okafor said, "but there's only so many options you can try with him."

Despite qualifying for the playoffs, the Spurs still have a few things they would like to scratch off their to-do list before the postseason begins. The team leaves this afternoon for a three-game trip that begins Sunday in Detroit. Somewhere along the way, the Spurs hope to regain Manu Ginobili, or "El Contusion," as Barry calls him.

"We need to get Manu back in rhythm," Barry said. "We need to get Nazr acclimated to the system, get my shot going, get Beno (Udrih) confident again.

"That's a lot to work on in these remaining games if we're going to contend."

exstatic
03-19-2005, 01:51 AM
I couldn't believe that he threw that pass to Rasho. :lol

MannyIsGod
03-19-2005, 01:53 AM
Congrats to Okafor for being the winner of the Be On Devin Brown's Next Basketball Card Contest.

I knew there was no way in hell Tim would have thrown that pass had he known it was Rasho leading the break. Man, LJ and I both freaked when that shit happend.

Kori Ellis
03-19-2005, 01:55 AM
"We just played the best team in the league," Charlotte coach Bernie Bickerstaff said. "There is no doubt in my mind."

There's a lot of love between the Spurs organization and Charlotte. When I met Bickerstaff in the summer, he had nothing but praise for Pop and everyone involved with the Spurs. Tonight, when the game was over, it was good to see Pop, PJ and Newman all giving hugs and handshakes to the whole Charlotte coaching staff. They are good people.

exstatic
03-19-2005, 01:57 AM
Devin played VERY WELL tonight. He was dunk-o-licious. Also loved that fake dribble hand off, drive for a dunk by Horry. Nice.

TDfan2007
03-19-2005, 01:58 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

slayermin
03-19-2005, 01:58 AM
"Rasho was a little miffed when I showed concern about that pass," Popovich said, "because he's pretty sure I'm holding his game back."

That Popovich cat is funny. :rollin

milkyway21
03-19-2005, 02:34 AM
Duncan even started a fast break early in the third quarter by throwing the ball ahead to ... Rasho Nesterovic.

Nesterovic, who doesn't have the fleetest of feet, looked startled as he caught the pass.
He immediately stopped and pitched the ball to Parker, who drove for a layup. " :lol

i hope that was not the reason he was "GLUED" on the bench in the 4th, huh, Pops :rolleyes

Kori Ellis
03-19-2005, 02:42 AM
It's not the reason. Carlesimo said in pregame that they were going to try to give Nazr a lot of minutes tonight. So that's probably the main reason Rasho sat. They are trying to get Nazr acclimated to the system.

milkyway21
03-19-2005, 02:58 AM
It's not the reason. Carlesimo said in pregame that they were going to try to give Nazr a lot of minutes tonight. So that's probably the main reason Rasho sat. They are trying to get Nazr acclimated to the system....and Nazr responded w/ flying colors despite turnovers...

i think Rasho shld wear that headband :rolleyes Manu wore last night for Timmy to recognize him. :lol on fastbreaks.

TMSKILZ
03-19-2005, 03:10 AM
Anyone have a link to the video of Devin dunking on Omeka? Anyone?

1Parker1
03-19-2005, 12:04 PM
LOL. I love Tim Duncan's sense of humor. Him and Malik in the locker room together must have been a riot.

boutons
03-19-2005, 12:22 PM
Hey, Tim, with a quick look, would Bruce and Tony qualify as a "off-white guys"?

And what's with playing the "race card" anyway? Your outlet passes are prejudiced toward ligher skinned players?

At least Teemee hit the right color of jersey!!

Maybe Tim has post-NBA career as stand-up comic or "extremely colorful" TV game analyst.

:lol :lol :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Black guys are funny.

T Park
03-19-2005, 12:48 PM
would tim get offended if barry threw a pass to massenburg at half court, and Barry would say,

"eh, I saw a black guy"

bigbendbruisebrother
03-19-2005, 01:16 PM
In a parallel universe:

Rasho catches the ball in stride, fakes right, spins left around the defender, fakes a pass to a trailer, and slams down a two handed jam while screaming. Play resumes after the shattered backboard is replaced, and glass picked out of Okafor's scalp. After a 10 minute delay, during which Rasho serenades the audience with the Slovenian national anthem, he calmly drains the free throw completing the three point play. The shattered backboard earns him a fine, to which Rasho adds a tip covering any possible future fines on the Coyote.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-19-2005, 01:35 PM
^^^ Nice!

Sounds like a galaxy far, far away. :)

mookie2001
03-19-2005, 02:48 PM
The Spurs did their best to limit Bobcats rookie forward Emeka Okafor. The second overall pick in last June's draft, Okafor missed 10 of 13 shots and committed seven turnovers.

owned

circles_eternal
03-19-2005, 03:40 PM
Somewhere along the way, the Spurs hope to regain Manu Ginobili, or "El Contusion," as Barry calls him.

what does "El Contusion" mean?

T Park
03-19-2005, 03:52 PM
contusion is an injury.

Barry just added the el to make it sound spanish.

A joke more than anything. Pretty funny to be honest.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-19-2005, 03:53 PM
what does "El Contusion" mean?

A contusion is a bump or bruise, which is reflective of Manu's sacrificing his body on the court making plays with reckless abandon.

Barry probably figured that "Senor Sacrificing His Body on the Court Making Plays With Reckless Abandon" was not real catchy.

boutons
03-19-2005, 04:39 PM
1 : the act of contusing or the state of being contused

2 : a bruise caused by external violence and characterized by hemorrhage into and swelling of the superficial or deeper-lying tissues with or without a break in the covering skin or membrane. synonyms see WOUND

Summers
03-19-2005, 07:12 PM
I think it's Spanish for "bruise". Duh! :lol

angel_luv
03-21-2005, 04:50 PM
Hehe! Timmy sees white people. Classic!