PDA

View Full Version : When Duncan retires from the spurs..

TheDarkSide.
04-14-2009, 01:52 PM
It's hard to imagine the spurs without Tim Duncan but it happens. Do you think Tony Parker and maybe even Manu will just bail on the spurs? If Pop decides to leave who would you like to see coach? As crazy as it sounds i'm heavily interested in seeing the spurs "post duncan".

IronMexican
04-14-2009, 01:53 PM
The way it looks, Manu is going to retire before Tim.

Buddy Holly
04-14-2009, 01:53 PM
It's hard to imagine the spurs without Tim Duncan but it happens. Do you think Tony Parker and maybe even Manu will just bail on the spurs? If Pop decides to leave who would you like to see coach? As crazy as it sounds i'm heavily interested in seeing the spurs "post duncan".

Jesus, another one of these? :bang

samikeyp
04-14-2009, 01:54 PM
he will still be better than Yao. :)

SenorSpur
04-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Personally, I believe Tony would bail.

spursfaninla
04-14-2009, 02:08 PM
I think there was a recent thread that said Tony asked Duncan for a heads up, so he could in fact bail on the Post-Duncan era.

With that in mind, the Spurs are going to SUCK. I hope we have another 3+ years of Duncan, with his tendonosis in mind.

Yao明
04-14-2009, 02:10 PM
EMO spurs fans

funny

E20
04-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Tony has always said that his future with the team will be decided upon what Tim and Manu do. I've always heard that Pop will go when Tim goes. And in a recent article Manu stated he would want to be on the Spurs forever.

Looks like Manu is the only loyal one.

IronMexican
04-14-2009, 02:12 PM
It's been a while since the Lakers have had a great PG :)

VI_Massive
04-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Who knows. No way to tell, right now.

HarlemHeat37
04-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Pop goes when Finley goes..they'll ride off into the sunset together...holding hands..

RobSM64
04-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Pop goes when Finley goes..they'll ride off into the sunset together...holding hands..

:rollin

spursfaninla
04-14-2009, 02:24 PM
I don't understand Finley getting so many minutes...it is mystifying.

Spursmania
04-14-2009, 02:27 PM
If Duncan leaves, Parker in LA?:wow
Since him and Eva have a place there? I don't even want to think about that!

mexicanjunior
04-14-2009, 02:27 PM
I think Tony bails when Tim and Manu is gone. If the Spurs don't get a franchise player within 3 years of Duncan, Manu and Parker being gone, I think this team moves to another city...

duncan228
04-14-2009, 02:48 PM

If it helps, they also built a house in San Antonio.

Baseline
04-14-2009, 02:50 PM
No player in his right mind would want to play for Pop if Tim isn't here.

Pop isn't a player's coach - it's always his way or the highway.

So, a talented player like Parker will be gone so fast all we'll be able to see is fumes.

poop
04-14-2009, 02:51 PM
I think Tony bails when Tim and Manu is gone. If the Spurs don't get a franchise player within 3 years of Duncan, Manu and Parker being gone, I think this team moves to another city...

this city would be out for blood if they tried to move the Spurs.

Sigz
04-14-2009, 02:53 PM
It's okay guys. We'll still have Jacque Vaughn.

Buddy Holly
04-14-2009, 02:54 PM
I think there was a recent thread that said Tony asked Duncan for a heads up, so he could in fact bail on the Post-Duncan era.

Cough"thatwasajoke"Cough

Buddy Holly
04-14-2009, 02:54 PM

You're stupid. That is all.

Buddy Holly
04-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Pop isn't a player's coach - it's always his way or the highway.

Which is why he's been rated 1 or 2 the last decade by players when asked who's their favorite coach. :lol

Josepatches_
04-14-2009, 02:58 PM
The Spurs will suck after Duncan retires but it happens in every team after the big years.If we were lucky we could find a new franchise player in the nba draft and come back to the elite in a few years.
If we aren't lucky we never come back like Houston or Chicago.

We have to be happy for all these years since Robinson and TD came to the Spurs.Since the early 90's we are between the best teams of the league.But we are not going to be as good forever.None was so good.Even Boston with all his tittles sucked a lot of years.

lefty
04-14-2009, 03:11 PM
- Tony will join the Lakers

- Manu will be touring with Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Mark in Austin
04-14-2009, 03:12 PM
call me crazy but I wouldn't be surprised if Pop actually stuck around for a couple years. Timmy isn't the only player he has a close relationship with - he and Tony have a unique bond too.

Bukefal
04-14-2009, 03:16 PM
I think Tony stays, and is he leaves, he will probably go, when pop leaves. as for manu i dont know. Too bad when duncan retires, but we shouldnt be worried. there will be more players, who will let the spurs shine, just like these players do!

baseline bum
04-14-2009, 03:18 PM

With that in mind, the Spurs are going to SUCK. I hope we have another 3+ years of Duncan, with his tendonosis in mind.

Was that backed by a decent source? That would suck to lose Tony, but I couldn't be mad at him if he wanted to go somewhere to try to compete for rings after Tim retires. If he leaves, hopefully the Spurs can pull a Garnett-for-Jefferson type deal to get some young talent.

mexicanjunior
04-14-2009, 03:30 PM
You're stupid. That is all.

We'll see...with the economy going into the tank, I think alot of fans will stop going to the games once the Spurs are no longer competitive (not making the playoffs). We could get lucky and pickup another Robinson/Duncan in the draft but I don't think this city would support a consistently losing team for more than 3-4 years...

jack sommerset
04-14-2009, 03:33 PM
After Timmay goes the Spews become the Bucks

ducks
04-14-2009, 03:34 PM

tony is building a NEW HOME HERE
eva will not be on tv when tp contract runs out
also if tony stays he will be the man
and in la he will not be

ducks
04-14-2009, 03:37 PM
tp likes sa
he wants to make sure the spurs will be competive after pop and duncan retire
if spurs get a new coach he does not like
he will leave
if spurs make mike bud the new coach he would stay

jack sommerset
04-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Does anyone really think the Parkers would choose to live in SA over LA? But thats means nothing cuz Lakers would only want Parker for the Min. They have a great team and only so many bucks to go around. Parker will go to the highest bidder when his contract is up.

kace
04-14-2009, 04:00 PM
is it crazy to think the spurs could do something good with the 30+ millions avaible when Tim ad Manu will be gone ??

it's arguable that Tim and Manu are the best things you could have for respectively 20 M and 10 M, but it's still possible to have some great players with this money.

Everyone act like if the starting 5 then will be TP/Mason/Udoka/Bonner/Mahinmi

Texas_Ranger
04-14-2009, 04:12 PM
It will suck when Tim retires.

Lets just hope Maninmi and Gist will be very good for our team. And with Tony, Hill, Bonner, Gooden and Mason we've got a solid team. We'll just need to get a new SF cause Bowen, Finley and I gues Udoka will be all gone. In 2010 we should sign some all star player and with soem solid draft picks we should be just fine.

romain.star
04-14-2009, 04:19 PM
I can't even think of Tim last game... this will be really sad to see timmy leave the game

Bukefal
04-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Does anyone really think the Parkers would choose to live in SA over LA? .

Eva already lives most of her time in LA

Agloco
04-14-2009, 04:37 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0519/nba_g_draft_lottery_580.jpg

kskonn
04-14-2009, 06:00 PM
We'll see...with the economy going into the tank, I think alot of fans will stop going to the games once the Spurs are no longer competitive (not making the playoffs). We could get lucky and pickup another Robinson/Duncan in the draft but I don't think this city would support a consistently losing team for more than 3-4 years...

well I don't think the economy will be in the shape it is now when the spurs reach the point of being uncompetitive. Their is also noreason to think they would all of a sudden become a team that went 20-62. they will have a lot of money to spend. they will work on keeping parker and any other talent they have that might be around and they will also seek another allstar to put on the team next to parker(if they keep him) they may not win 50 games a year for the next 10 years but they will probably be competitive.

Spurs 4 The Win
04-14-2009, 06:04 PM
EMO spurs fans

funny
Thanks for your awesome insight, Yao. I guess you are just another Houston Bandwagon fan that decided to leave his closet because things are starting to go your way. But rest assured when you lose in the first round AGAIN, you will go back into hiding. :lmao
STFU and get out!

Buddy Holly
04-14-2009, 06:05 PM

Kid, the economy is a roller coaster. This is the worst its been since... the 80's. :lol

Buddy Holly
04-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Eva already lives most of her time in LA

She lives in LA for work. I doubt they'd build a 17,000 square foot mansion here if she planned to live in LA. :lol FYI, she rents her home in LA.

Chief
04-14-2009, 06:07 PM
tony is definitely going to the lakers after the duncan-era

lefty
04-14-2009, 06:23 PM

Or the Roxettes

Ditty
04-14-2009, 06:32 PM
http://givemetherock.com/wp-content/uploads/jeffersonx.jpghttp://www.all-nba-all-basketball.com/images/LAMARCUS_ALDRIDGE1.jpg
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/act_greg_oden.jpghttp://api.ning.com/files/qM0RV7DV-6RJvkJPKkpPTCHEGPwMFd6gWW-KlWfIU*XihaWx1DRP-Iogqp4HXJ3-WF5Q7nZkbPdMHCeAv0vrdBHz0J9tWQ-k/chris_Bosh_Slam_Dunk.jpg

2 of 4 in spurs front court

small fowardhttp://socalsportshub.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/trevor-ariza.jpg
shooting guardhttp://www.nba.com/media/act_george_hill.jpg
point guardhttp://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/clockingin/tony_parker.jpg

jag
04-14-2009, 06:43 PM
:lol at you wanting Greg Oden's broke-down ass. I'd rather have Bynum.

I'm one of the biggest Tony homers on ST but i don't think building a franchise around a PG is a recipe for success. You'd need a young, athletic big to complement Tony...and from there you build.

I also don't understand why everyone thinks Tony wants to be in LA. Eva is from Corpus, and this is the only city in the U.S. that Tony has ever lived. If they offer him a max (or close to max) contract, which is what he deserves, then i see no reason for him to want to leave.

As far as Pop is concerned, he should probably leave when Duncan does...he's an amazing coach but i wouldnt want his legacy to be tarnished. I'd like to see Budenholzer take over.

Ditty
04-14-2009, 06:46 PM
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/bob_blog/theus.jpg

next spurs coach

sonic21
04-14-2009, 06:47 PM
tony said he wants to stay with the spurs, but if it's not possible he wants to play in the east (knicks or bulls are his 1st choices).

Strike
04-14-2009, 06:48 PM
I've been a Spurs fan since David's rookie year. I'll be a Spurs fan on Timmy's last day and beyond.

I'm loyal to the Spurs. Whether or not they will have a few or several poor years post #21 is anyone's guess. For now, I'm enjoying what I have as a Spurs fan.

sprrs
04-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Ironically, Eva might be our best hope for keeping Tony in SA. She's from Texas and loves it here. We'll have to see how well her acting career is going by the time Tim retires.

spursfan1000
04-14-2009, 07:05 PM
I really don't want to talk about Timmy leaving because he has done so much for the Spurs and it is really appreciated, but one day, one sad day he will have to retire. I would be sorta happy if POP leaves so we could get a new younger coach for the future. I'm pretty sure that Manu will retire before Duncan. My opinion on Parker, I personally don't think that Tony will leave the Spurs, he already got 2-3 championships with us and should be satisfied, but it wont really be that bad when Duncan retires because we will most likely be a lottery team and get future players, but it will still be hard to lose a hall of famer in Duncan.

raspsa
04-14-2009, 07:29 PM
My question is should Pop be co-terminus with Timmy? Assuming he was serious about retiring 30 seconds after Timmy retires, then I think its a good idea. Nothing lasts forever and Pop has earned a tranquil retirement tending to his grapes and other interests.

Admiral
04-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Why do people assume that we will suck for years to come when Tim retires? We can prepare for that day through free agency, trades, and even the draft. With proper planning, we will be fine when Tim retires.

lefty
04-14-2009, 10:06 PM
James Gist !!!!!!!

Udokafan05
04-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Let's just hope Coach Bud gets the job, and not avery.

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
04-15-2009, 12:36 AM
I don't think the spurs will not try to get things right. We still got other options in the mix just hope they make the right move!

Chomag
04-15-2009, 12:44 AM
Why do people assume that we will suck for years to come when Tim retires? We can prepare for that day through free agency, trades, and even the draft. With proper planning, we will be fine when Tim retires.

I don't see the Spurs sucking in the years to come. We will always be competing for a playoff spot like the franchise always has. However I don't think we will be landing a future hall of famer anytime soon. It's hard to expect us to be lucky enough to land a 3rd one in a row where so many teams are still looking for their first.

nz_spur
04-15-2009, 12:54 AM

Or the Kings

romain.star
04-15-2009, 04:38 AM
In the History of Sport, every time a team has lost one of the best player ever in the game, the following years have always been difficult:

- the Bulls after Jordan
- the Cetics after Russel and then Bird
- the Rockets after Olajuwon
- the Lakers after Magic
etc...

therefore, it is highly probable that the Spurs will struggle after Duncan retires

kace
04-15-2009, 05:21 AM
In the History of Sport, every time a team has lost one of the best player ever in the game, the following years have always been difficult:

- the Bulls after Jordan
- the Cetics after Russel and then Bird
- the Rockets after Olajuwon
- the Lakers after Magic
etc...

therefore, it is highly probable that the Spurs will struggle after Duncan retires

true but LA lost O'Neal and it took them only 3 years to become again real contenders.

romain.star
04-15-2009, 05:47 AM
true but LA lost O'Neal and it took them only 3 years to become again real contenders.

well... let's say that unless you have an undercover agent working as a GM for an other team (Jerry West), you will struggle to recover

sounds better?

TampaDude
04-15-2009, 05:50 AM

Lakers NBA Titles since Shaq left: 0

'nuff said...

Austin_Toros
04-15-2009, 06:18 AM
When Duncan retires i'm guessing the spurs will sign a 30+ year old forward.

mattyc
04-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Impossible to tell right now. By then, Manu, Finley, Vaughn, Oberto, Bowen and Thomas will almost certainly be retired/gone with players obviously coming in to replace them. With some astute player management, drafting, signing and such, we should still have a pretty impressive roster.

Tony will have reign to a sizable salary once Tim and Many go, and we will still have change to formulate a good roster.

If Tony goes, he goes. I don't think he will, but we can rebuild.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-15-2009, 07:22 AM
I just hope after 2012 Pop sticks around as some 'advisor' in the FO ( read unofficial GM ).We might not be contenders for a few years but with proper building and a bit of luck then why not.

Pentagruel
04-15-2009, 07:48 AM
I really don't understand why people think we will be a terrible team when Tim retires. Obviously we wouldn't be as good but we'd still have a fantastic PG in Tony Parker and by that time I would certainly hope the Spurs will make some moves in Free Agency and the draft. I could see one down year right as Tim retires, something like a 30-40 win team that misses the playoffs but after that a smart organization like the Spurs will probably manage to put some new pieces together to contend.

As for Tony Parker leaving, I haven't really kept a close eye on news regarding this but I see no reason why he would bail on the Spurs. I think Tony has a good relationship with the Spurs organization and the city in general. The only way I could see him wanting out is if the front office made no attempts to put a winning team together for several (4-5) years and he would be right to do so in this case.

raspsa
04-15-2009, 08:37 AM
Spurs would have to hire a superstar, preferably a big, to complement Tony, assuming he stays with the team. Plus the usual contingent of role players.
Another possibility is to try and build a contender ala the last Pistons championship team with 5 very good players.
I'd also like Coach Bud to take over the helm.

Biggems
04-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Had we drafted Marc Gasol instead of Marcus Williams....the future would look brighter for the post-Duncan era. We would have Ian, Tiago, and Marc in the middle. If we were able to sign Gooden long term, that would give us 4 quality bigs in our main rotation.

I think Parker stays and we would probably have Gist, Hairston, Hill, and Sanikidze. Hopefully, we would still have Mason.

C - Splitter, Gasol
PF - Mahimni, Gooden
SF - Gist, Sanikidze
SG - Mason, Hairston
PG - Parker, Hill

Add a few draft picks and FAs, to fill out the roster, and I believe we would still be title contenders.

sonic21
04-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Had we drafted Marc Gasol instead of Marcus Williams....the future would look brighter for the post-Duncan era. We would have Ian, Tiago, and Marc in the middle. If we were able to sign Gooden long term, that would give us 4 quality bigs in our main rotation.

I think Parker stays and we would probably have Gist, Hairston, Hill, and Sanikidze. Hopefully, we would still have Mason.

C - Splitter, Gasol
PF - Mahimni, Gooden
SF - Gist, Sanikidze
SG - Mason, Hairston
PG - Parker, Hill

Add a few draft picks and FAs, to fill out the roster, and I believe we would still be title contenders.

too much non-american playing with their NT the summer, some people would not like that.

Chomag
04-15-2009, 09:00 AM
I would realy love to see Al Jefferson on our team after Timmy retires. I know he is no Duncan but he is the only one out there closest to be what Tim ever was.

tp2021
04-15-2009, 09:13 AM
I will probably cry when Timmy retires. We will probably never have a player as good as him on our team again.

MoSpur
04-15-2009, 10:15 AM
A lot of teams go through the rebuilding process. I am sure the Spurs will have to go through it some time in the future. The Spurs will have a lot of money when its just Timmy and Tony on the books as far as contracts go. I am sure Manu will be on there too, but we shall see. I don't think he's going to get a lot of $ when it comes to his next contract.

GaryJohnston
04-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Pop and Tony will rebuild together. We'll get a superstar to fall in our laps somehow. Believe.

howbouthemspurs
04-15-2009, 03:13 PM
maybee the spurs will get lebron

J.T.
04-15-2009, 03:20 PM

C - Splitter, Gasol
PF - Mahimni, Gooden
SF - Gist, Sanikidze
SG - Mason, Hairston
PG - Parker, Hill

Half of those players will never play a single game in San Antonio. Not as a Spur anyhow.

04-15-2009, 08:10 PM
I want ask this,What happen if tony and duncan retires?To bad if duncan retires :depressed it will be..He is the man of this team.GO TIM DUNCAN GO.
:flag::flag::flag::flag:

vander
04-15-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm very interested to see the Spurs: post-Pop. No offense to the guy, he hasn't been a bad coach :D but I find myself wondering more and more how this team would be performing with a new coach, especially when I see G Hill sitting on the bench all game long

will_spurs
04-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Only thing I can say is that when Duncan retires from the Spurs... I will be very sad and look back at everything this franchise has accomplished. An double that when his jersey is retired. And then I will look forward again.