PDA

View Full Version : Parker signs letter of engagement with French

Pages : [1] 2

TMTTRIO
04-14-2009, 05:04 PM
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/langid/1/newsid/29829/arti.html

14/04/2009
FRA - Parker signs letter of engagement with French

PARIS (FFBB) - Tony Parker has committed to play for France through the summer of 2012.

The San Antonio Spurs point guard met with Patrick Beesley, the head of the men's basketball team, and sports manager Crawford Palmer before a recent game against Cleveland and signed a letter of engagement.

Other players counted on by national team boss Vincent Collet will also need to sign the letter of engagement in the coming weeks.

France will this summer attempt to win the Additional Qualifying Round for EuroBasket 2009 in Poland.

They will go up against Italy and Finland in Group B, with the side that finishes top to take on the winner of Group A - Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belgium or Portugal.

Good luck Tony and please stay healthy

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Italy might be a problem for them.

lefty
04-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Manu....

Now TP.........

Injuries injuries........

Spurs should have an all-American team

timvp
04-14-2009, 05:09 PM
:td

Parker should see how Manu's decision last summer came back to haunt the team and sit out.

it's me
04-14-2009, 05:16 PM

Parker should see how Manu's decision last summer came back to haunt the team and sit out.

A lot of people won’t agree… and will bring the…. who’s paying them the money and all that crap… but this is my personal point of view … what’s the point on being an elite athlete and not being able to represent your own country? Americans are so selfish sometimes…. I applaud Tony’s decision.

Pauleta14
04-14-2009, 05:20 PM

Manu was already injured...

kace
04-14-2009, 05:22 PM

the spurs only need to give him a full month more to rest before playing in the beginning of next RS (if french team plays the final tournament). that should be something doable.

alchemist
04-14-2009, 05:23 PM
:pctoss

DPG21920
04-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Manu was already injured...

Bingo. Tony is not injured. I had no problem with the fact Manu wanted to play for his country; I had a problem he wanted to play for his country hurt.

baseline bum
04-14-2009, 05:24 PM
:pctoss

sonic21
04-14-2009, 05:25 PM
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/langid/1/newsid/29829/arti.html

14/04/2009

PARIS (FFBB) - Tony Parker has committed to play for France through the summer of 2012.

The San Antonio Spurs point guard met with Patrick Beesley, the head of the men's basketball team, and sports manager Crawford Palmer before a recent game against Cleveland and signed a letter of engagement.

Other players counted on by national team boss Vincent Collet will also need to sign the letter of engagement in the coming weeks.

France will this summer attempt to win the Additional Qualifying Round for EuroBasket 2009 in Poland.

They will go up against Italy and Finland in Group B, with the side that finishes top to take on the winner of Group A - Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belgium or Portugal.

good news :tu

Allanon
04-14-2009, 05:25 PM
There is a huge cultural and nationalistic rift between the US athletes/fans and athletes/fans from other countries. One side will never understand the other side's stance.

EricB
04-14-2009, 05:27 PM
A lot of people won’t agree… and will bring the…. who’s paying them the money and all that crap… but this is my personal point of view … what’s the point on being an elite athlete and not being able to represent your own country? Americans are so selfish sometimes…. I applaud Tony’s decision.

First off fuck you and your "americans are so horrible" fucking bullshit.

Second off, the arguement is CORRECT.

Third off, the fucker wasn't even BORN there, and NEITHER OF HIS PARENTS ARE FRENCH.

Like Marcus Bryant said and I agree, no more offseason bullshit.

Now he will come into camp next year tired, hurt, and the SPurs will have to deal with that horseshit, all for a good for nothing country no one gives a shit about.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-14-2009, 05:27 PM
Where the fuck is ducks, is what I want to know.

EricB
04-14-2009, 05:28 PM
good news :tu

Yeah fantastic, while hes hurt and out for two months because he got hurt playing for these fuckers, and the Spurs struggle while STILL paying him his 14 million.

Just fan fucking tastic news.

lefty
04-14-2009, 05:32 PM
There is a huge cultural and nationalistic rift between the US athletes/fans and athletes/fans from other countries. One side will never understand the other side's stance.

I do, because I'm form the other side of the Atlantic, but at the same time, I 'm a hardcore Spurs fan. :flag:

Brazil
04-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Bingo. Tony is not injured. I had no problem with the fact Manu wanted to play for his country; I had a problem he wanted to play for his country hurt.

+1

Besides everytime TP had some health issues, he showed a cautious behavior.

Nevertheless I've never complained about the fact Manu tried to play for his country, Spurs already knew signing Manu that he will never abandon the Argentina team in particular for the Olympics. With Manu we have to accept the crazy stuff he does sometimes and the fact he wants to play for Argentina. It's take him or leave him.

ploto
04-14-2009, 05:33 PM
The worst part of this summer for Tony is that France has to play in an additional qualifying tournament just to try to get to EuroBasket and then still play in that tournament both in the same summer. And history shows that even a hang nail and Tony will be back in SA being seen by the Spurs physicians.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-14-2009, 05:33 PM

Third off, the fucker wasn't even BORN there, and NEITHER OF HIS PARENTS ARE FRENCH.

Now he will come into camp next year tired, hurt, and the SPurs will have to deal with that horseshit, all for a good for nothing country no one gives a shit about.

aaah there's the complete fucking asshole we've all come to expect from TPark...

Just a thing... GO FUCK YOURSELF YOU ARROGANT TUB OF LARD!

aaah... there, that's better

sonic21
04-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Yeah fantastic, while hes hurt and out for two months because he got hurt playing for these fuckers, and the Spurs struggle while STILL paying him his 14 million.

first i'm french, so fuck you too :toast.
and he hasn't won anything with the french NT, so you can understand why it's important for him to play.

timvp
04-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Parker has a ton of miles on him at 26. He's going to be broken down by 30 unless he start resting in the summers. Olympics I can understand but not every scrub tournament every summer.

kace
04-14-2009, 05:35 PM

Tony spent all his life in France and always had the french nationality. you can't be more french. the fact that he's born in Belgium has nothing to do with that (his father played for a belgian basketball team then but his family came in France when Tony was three weeks old)

ploto
04-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Parker has a ton of miles on him at 26. He's going to be broken down by 30 unless he start resting in the summers. Olympics I can understand but not every scrub tournament every summer.

The problem is they could not even qualify for EuroBasket last summer. They need Tony to try to even get there.

kace
04-14-2009, 05:36 PM

do you know how you get qualified for the Olympics in Europe ??

Agloco
04-14-2009, 05:37 PM

I've gotta agree with T-Park here. Business is business. You've got a contractual obligation to your employer. If you're going to accept millions, there needs to be some concessions on the players part. The country you're being paid in is irrelevant. Tau has every right to be upset about Splitter if he runs off to play for Brazil, just like the Spurs do with Tony.

I do think that we are naturally biased towards our own national teams however. I don't recall anyone bitching when Timmy played for the US team. I think more would be cheering for Parker if he was playing for the US national team.

timvp
The problem is they could not even qualify for EuroBasket last summer. They need Tony to try to even get there.If they can't qualify without him, Parker should realize his team is never going to amount to anything.

DAF86

14/04/2009

Can somebody tell me how with the amount of talent that France has, they've never done too well? they should be fighting for championships in all the events they participate.

Brazil
[quote=EricB;3289148]

quote]

Chill out Eric and try to understand the other side instead of yelling and writting non sense like the fucker wasn't even born there. He is French deal with it.

ploto
04-14-2009, 05:38 PM
You've got a contractual obligation to your employer. If you're going to accept millions, there needs to be some concessions on the players part. The country you're being paid in is irrelevant. Tau has every right to be upset about Splitter if he runs off to play for Brazil, just like the Spurs do with Tony.

Then write it into the contract and see if they sign.

lefty
04-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Can somebody tell me how with the amount of talent that France has, they've never done too well? they should be fighting for championships in all the events they participate.

1. because other international teams are far more talented
2. other Euro national teams have been top basketball nations for much longer than France

EricB
04-14-2009, 05:39 PM

You filthy american, how dare you.

timvp
04-14-2009, 05:40 PM
do you know how you get qualified for the Olympics in Europe ??Obviously. But if France can't even get into the tournament that becomes the tournament to quality, that's a sign your team sucks and won't win it with Parker's help.

I've watched a ton of France games over the years. Their main issue is their role players are horrible around Parker. Even Diaw turns into the ultimate choker and Turiaf gets exposed. They have to learn how to win on their own before even thinking about adding Parker to the mix to try to make a serious run in any serious tournament.

They could theoretically run Parker into the ground to get in but that strategy isn't going to mean anything once the talent level is even.

EricB
04-14-2009, 05:41 PM
I've gotta agree with T-Park here. Business is business. You've got a contractual obligation to your employer. If you're going to accept millions, there needs to be some concessions on the players part. The country you're being paid in is irrelevant. Tau has every right to be upset about Splitter if he runs off to play for Brazil, just like the Spurs do with Tony.

I do think that we are naturally biased towards our own national teams however. I don't recall anyone bitching when Timmy played for the US team. I think more would be cheering for Parker if he was playing for the US national team.

While I cheered for the US team and cheered for Tim on the team, I hated him being there, and it wore him out for that 04 05 season as well, leading to his injuries near the end of that season.

DAF86
04-14-2009, 05:41 PM
1. because other international teams are far more talented
2. other Euro national teams have been top basketball nations for much longer than France

The Argie national team isn't more talented, neither the German, Italian or Greek. IMO The U.S and Spain are the only teams with more talent on their rosters.

kace
04-14-2009, 05:42 PM
If they can't qualify without him, Parker should realize his team is never going to amount to anything.

the french NT is certainly not good enough to win the Olympics and probably not the European tournament. does it mean that we don't even need to try to get qualified and participate ? i don't think so.

if all the NBA stars should only play when their teams has a chance to win it all, or at least to get far in the PO, half of them would never be seen on the court.

DPG21920
04-14-2009, 05:43 PM

Bull crap. It is business. It is an open market. The Spurs entered into a contract with Gino knowing full well he could play for his country. Manu did nothing to breach his contract.

If Manu playing for his country was that big of a deal, then the market would reflect that and he would be considered more risky which would lead to: 1) the Spurs never making him his current offer 2) lowering their offer or 3) another team making an offer that is willing to take on the risk.

EricB
04-14-2009, 05:43 PM
[quote=EricB;3289148]

quote]

Chill out Eric and try to understand the other side instead of yelling and writting non sense like the fucker wasn't even born there. He is French deal with it.

How is it nonsense?

Its the TRUTH!

EricB
04-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Obviously. But if France can't even get into the tournament that becomes the tournament to quality, that's a sign your team sucks and won't win it with Parker's help.

I've watched a ton of France games over the years. Their main issue is their role players are horrible around Parker. Even Diaw turns into the ultimate choker and Turiaf gets exposed. They have to learn how to win on their own before even thinking about adding Parker to the mix to try to make a serious run in any serious tournament.

They could theoretically run Parker into the ground to get in but that strategy isn't going to mean anything once the talent level is even.

They ran him into the ground last time, and then horribly mismanaged his damn finger injury.

Then hurt his ankle and wanted him to play on THAT.

E20

Agloco
Then write it into the contract and see if they sign.

Bad choice of words. I should have stated "moral" obligation, but the word might lead most to be highly cynical about it. Yes, employees have moral obligations just the same as employers do. These need not be explicitly stated.

Take money from someone, agree to keep yourself healthy and not run up the mileage on your body. It's just the right thing to do. Like timvp said, the Olympics is cool, but every scrub tournament is excessive.

timvp
04-14-2009, 05:45 PM

I do think that we are naturally biased towards our own national teams however. I don't recall anyone bitching when Timmy played for the US team. I think more would be cheering for Parker if he was playing for the US national team.I've been against it since Robinson suited up after the Dream Team. I was against Duncan playing. I didn't even want Pop to coach because it'd burn him out.

It's not a national thing with me. If something lowers the Spurs' chances of winning a championship, I'll be against it.

DPG21920
Tony does not have to play. If he feels he is too tired or they have no chance, he can sit out.

Bruno
France NT summer is very busy. If things went well, Parker will play 10 weeks with them between July 12th and September 20th.

Parker is right now tired after a season with Spurs where he carried the team. If Spurs goes far in these playoffs, I don't know how Tony will be able to have a strong season in 09-10.

EricB
Bull crap. It is business. It is an open market. The Spurs entered into a contract with Gino knowing full well he could play for his country. Manu did nothing to breach his contract.

If Manu playing for his country was that big of a deal, then the market would reflect that and he would be considered more risky which would lead to: 1) the Spurs never making him his current offer 2) lowering their offer or 3) another team making an offer that is willing to take on the risk.

Wich ended up being retarded and stupid.

You wanna get paid millions by the US based NBA team? Then show them the equal dedication that they are showing you.

DPG21920
04-14-2009, 05:46 PM
It's not a national thing with me. If something lowers the Spurs' chances of winning a championship, I'll be against it.

So you hate Shaq's mom?

DPG21920
04-14-2009, 05:46 PM

You wanna get paid millions by the US based NBA team? Then show them the equal dedication that they are showing you.

And you invested in that stupid company :lol

He does not want to get paid millions, he IS getting paid millions. The Spurs knew what they were getting.

Agloco
04-14-2009, 05:47 PM

Any bets on how the market will react after this season?

Also, you draw an incorrect conclusion since the market has never sen a situation like this before.

kace
Obviously. But if France can't even get into the tournament that becomes the tournament to quality, that's a sign your team sucks and won't win it with Parker's help.

i definitely agree that the french NT sucks, unfortunately. i'm even more grateful to Tony for coming to play crappy games, against crappy teams in crappy places to just have a chance to participate to a tournament that we probably have no chance to win.

and the french NT could have a more bright future with Noah, Batum and some others. but it will need tony playing for that to happen.

EricB
France NT summer is very busy. If things went well, Parker will play 10 weeks with them between July 12th and September 20th.

Parker is right now tired after a season with Spurs where he carried the team. If Spurs goes far in these playoffs, I don't know how Tony will be able to have a strong season in 09-10.

Exactly our point.

After this season, after all the responsibilities, hes gonna go and carry that worthless pathetic team?

Horseshit.

DPG21920
04-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Any bets on how the market will react after this season?

Also, you draw an incorrect conclusion since the market has never sen a situation like this before.

No one has ever played in the olympics that has played in the NBA :wtf

timvp
04-14-2009, 05:48 PM

Parker is right now tired after a season with Spurs where he carried the team. If Spurs goes far in these playoffs, I don't know how Tony will be able to have a strong season in 09-10.Sweet so Parker could conceivably not have a break at all this summer. Fantastic.

And yeah, if the Spurs make any sort of run in the playoffs and Parker is going to play for the entire offseason, next year's Spurs season is over before it begins.

More great news.

EricB
04-14-2009, 05:49 PM
I've been against it since Robinson suited up after the Dream Team. I was against Duncan playing. I didn't even want Pop to coach because it'd burn him out.

Agreed 1000%.

Libri
04-14-2009, 05:49 PM
The Argie national team isn't more talented, neither the German, Italian or Greek. IMO The U.S and Spain are the only teams with more talent on their rosters.

So is it the style of play then? Coaching? What?

sonic21
04-14-2009, 05:50 PM

well diaw, pietrus, noah and turiaf are playing good this year, it wasn't happening the last couple of years, so let's hope tony will not have to carry this team again.

kace
04-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Sweet so Parker could conceivably not have a break at all this summer. Fantastic.

And yeah, if the Spurs make any sort of run in the playoffs and Parker is going to play for the entire offseason, next year's Spurs season is over before it begins.

More great news.

the spurs only need to give him a full month more to rest before playing in the beginning of next RS (if french team plays the final tournament). that should be something doable.

EricB
04-14-2009, 05:51 PM

No one has gotten hurt as many times playing for their national team like Manu has.

Agloco
04-14-2009, 05:52 PM
I've been against it since Robinson suited up after the Dream Team. I was against Duncan playing. I didn't even want Pop to coach because it'd burn him out.

I agree 100%. I wasn't necessarily referring to you, but to the public in general. Lots of teams are taking notice of the Spurs situation and making mental notes I'm quite sure.

ploto
04-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Bad choice of words. I should have stated "moral" obligation, but the word might lead most to be highly cynical about it. Yes, employees have moral obligations just the same as employers do. These need not be explicitly stated.

Take money from someone, agree to keep yourself healthy and not run up the mileage on your body. It's just the right thing to do. Like timvp said, the Olympics is cool, but every scrub tournament is excessive.

Tony has not hid this, nor did Manu. The Spurs knew that signing them included their commitments to play for their countries- ones that quite frankly contributed greatly to their being the players they were when they got to SA. I think their desire to represent their countries speaks well to the kind of people they are, as opposed to those who feel no desire to give back to the growth of basketball in their native countries after making millions in the sport.

And why just the Olympics? For these countries each new level to which they qualify is big deal and a building block for the future. Ask Slovenian fans how they celebrated when their team qualified for its first World Championships. You would have thought they won the Olympics!

EricB
And you invested in that stupid company :lol

He does not want to get paid millions, he IS getting paid millions. The Spurs knew what they were getting.

So now I have to stop going to games, because some ball player is playing in exhibtion games in some broken down bullshit gym in bulgaria?

Bullshit. You want to come to America, you want to play here, then you show the damn dedication and don't do it fucking half assed.

DPG21920
No one has gotten hurt as many times playing for their national team like Manu has.

He got hurt playing for the Spurs, not for the NT.

Spur-Addict

Oh there is understanding, just disagreement.

DPG21920
04-14-2009, 05:54 PM
So now I have to stop going to games, because some ball player is playing in exhibtion games in some broken down bullshit gym in bulgaria?

Bullshit. You want to come to America, you want to play here, then you show the damn dedication and don't do it fucking half assed.

GFG2P-toC6k

benefactor
04-14-2009, 05:55 PM
This is going to hurt us a lot over the next few seasons. With Duncan in his twilight, Parker will need to shoulder most of the load. We need him rested and ready for the season.

I agree with timvp...if he wants to play in the Olympics then that is his perogative, but playing in garbage tournaments every summer is excessive.

DPG21920
And no, you do not HAVE to stop going to games. Just like the Spurs signing Manu, you have a choice.

Bender
I'll take tparks side on this mess also.
Doing this bullshit makes them less popular with their hometown nba fans also, like all tony's fans here that are pissed off about it.

EricB
04-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Sweet so Parker could conceivably not have a break at all this summer. Fantastic.

More great news.

But hey, he gets to play in some bullshit tournament no one gives a shit about!!!

What the hell if it ruins the Spurs chances next year, the tournament matters much more!!!

timvp
France's problems have been a combination of poor coaching and bad chemistry. I'm not sure if it's the bad chemistry making the coaching look bad or the poor coaching creating bad chemistry ... but French basketball has literally been the ugliest basketball to watch in the last decade.

It's almost all isolation plays and with their recent lack of shooters, it's basically one man running into a crowd every time up the court. It's amazing how little they take advantage of Diaw's passing or anyone's post game. And then defensively they aren't nearly as crafty with calling zones or switching matchups as must Euro teams are.

Parker might only be an average passer on the NBA level for a point guard but on his French team he looks like Magic Johnson compared to everyone else's ability to pass.

Agloco

.......And suffered an injury which resulted in his missing a substantial portion of the regular season and the entire playoffs while being a starter/6th man in the NBA?

Not as I can recall.

EricB
04-14-2009, 05:57 PM
He got hurt playing for the Spurs, not for the NT.

Go rewatch the 2002 "World championships"

Go rewatch last summer.

EricB
04-14-2009, 05:59 PM
And no, you do not HAVE to stop going to games. Just like the Spurs signing Manu, you have a choice.

Just like Parker as well

Successfull NBA career and succesfull team that relies on him?

Or go play some bullshit tournament.

Yeah I can see that choice.

Fuck that horseshit.

timvp
04-14-2009, 06:01 PM
the spurs only need to give him a full month more to rest before playing in the beginning of next RS (if french team plays the final tournament). that should be something doable. How about France giving him a full month rest while they figure out whether or not their team is even halfway close to being a legitimate contender?

The Spurs gave Parker a month off this season. But considering Parker's size and the amount of hits he takes during the NBA, he needs the whole summer off to give his body a chance to survive the upcoming rigors. Parker takes as much of a pounding as anyone in the league. This year even more so than usual.

He needs a good three to four months off to get refuel, as ducks would say.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-14-2009, 06:02 PM

Oh just shut the fuck up already. You don't decide what it takes to "come to America" you arrogant prick. Plus, its not like the Spurs got the raw end of the deal here. We've done well with them, and hopefully, our FO lives up to the hype and helps us do well without them.

Trying to imply that because they want to represent their country they don't respect the Spurs is beyond fucking stupid, but then again, nothing new with you.

kace
04-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Just like Parker as well

Fuck that horseshit.

he has this succesfull NBA career thanks to the basketball formation that the country he wants to play for gave him.

Agloco
04-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Tony has not hid this, nor did Manu. The Spurs knew that signing them included their commitments to play for their countries- ones that quite frankly contributed greatly to their being the players they were when they got to SA. I think their desire to represent their countries speaks well to the kind of people they are, as opposed to those who feel no desire to give back to the growth of basketball in their native countries after making millions in the sport.

And why just the Olympics? For these countries each new level to which they qualify is big deal and a building block for the future. Ask Slovenian fans how they celebrated when their team qualified for its first World Championships. You would have thought they won the Olympics!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against a player giving back as you say. It's a wonderful thing. Unfortunately, this represents a conflict as it were. The choice for the player then is: employer or country. There are many ways to give back with the millions they make. Just as long as they do it off court. Ultimately it's an issue of health, are you as a player doing everything within reason to stay healthy so that you can fulfill your obligations?

Again, Olympics every four years: reasonable. All of these tournaments each and every year are really pushing the envelope though.

DAF86
04-14-2009, 06:03 PM

I don't know maybe our French friends can give us their opinion.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-14-2009, 06:04 PM

:lmao:rollin:blah:nope

If France qualifies (difficult against Italy) they play then in Eurobasket this is 2nd or third most important tournament in world. Maybe to people in US it means nothing but in Europe this is HUGE.

DPG21920
04-14-2009, 06:04 PM
.......And suffered an injury which resulted in his missing a substantial portion of the regular season and the entire playoffs while being a starter/6th man in the NBA?

Not as I can recall.

Go rewatch the 2002 "World championships"

Go rewatch last summer.

He was hurt in the NBA Playoffs last year, and then played hurt in the Olympics.

DPG21920
04-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Just like Parker as well

Fuck that horseshit.

He is making his choice, so should you.

Mel_13
04-14-2009, 06:05 PM

Agloco, I only quote your post because of the part I've bolded that always winds up in these debates. I appreciate posts like yours that try to make a point without personal attacks.

As to contractual obligations; all NBA teams and players are subject to the provisions of the CBA. Under the CBA, the owners get limits on players salaries, rookie pay scales, and other things that protect their interests. The players get guaranteed contracts and many other benefits. The CBA prohibits certain behavior and allows teams to seek remedies in the case of violations (Monta Ellis, Vladimir Radmanovic, for ex).

The CBA specifically protects the players right to play for their National Teams as long as certain insurability issues are addressed. Beyond that, the NBA actively promotes and markets the participation of its players. The NBA is an active partner in the financing, training, coaching and marketing of USA Basketball.

I have no problem with any NBA player participating for their national teams.

I also have no problem with a team doing what the Spurs with Manu last summer and withholding a contract extension to wait and see what the effects of such participation may be on a player's future contributions to the team.

If NBA owners want additional control over National Team play, they should negotiate it into the next CBA.

Spurs Brazil
04-14-2009, 06:06 PM
:pctoss:pctoss:pctoss

timvp
:lmao:rollin:blah:nope

If France qualifies (difficult against Italy) they play then in Eurobasket this is 2nd or third most important tournament in world. Maybe to people in US it means nothing but in Europe this is HUGE.A tournament that consists of Finland, Portugal and Belgium is a scrub tournament ... no matter how much bounce you add to your sig.

Brazil
[quote=Brazil;3289177]

How is it nonsense?

Its the TRUTH!

How it was rekevant in this discussion ? You were trying to explain he is not even French ??

Phenomanul
04-14-2009, 06:07 PM
The obvious counter to TPark's unwarranted xenophobic remarks is that the Spurs managed to win NBA Titles in:

2003 after Argentina's 2nd Place Finish in the 2002 FIBA World Championship (with Ginobili's participation - even though he sprained his ankle)

and in:

2005 after Argentina's Gold Medal Finish in the Athens Olympics (with Ginobili's injury-free participation. Not to be ignored is the fact that Duncan also played ball that summer for Team USA - Duncan was actually hobbled by an ankle sprain suffered at Detroit latter that season).

The truth that people are reluctant to accept:
Ginobili was hurt in last year's playoffs and would have needed surgery regardless of whether or not he decided to participate in the Beijing Olympics (games he was actually cleared for by San Antonio's own medical staff). His Olympic mishap then was an eventuality.

Injuries are a part of sports...

Besides Parker's style of play is nowhere near as detrimental to his body as Ginobili's is to his. The argument isn't entirely reflexive.

Kill_Bill_Pana

They don't have much talent compared to best European teams. Slovenia, Greece, Spain, Lithuania, Serbia. Even Croatia and Turkey probably have more talent also. Italy is also probably with more talent.

Compared to Spain, Greece, Serbia, Lithuania the France talent pool is laughable. NBA fans just believe they are one of best in Europe because all French players want to be in NBA.

ajh18
Can anyone explain why this HASN'T become a negotiating point in contracts? I would think it would add leverage on BOTH sides, depending on the player.

A player might take a slightly smaller contract to retain the ability to play international ball during the summer, or a team might have to pay more to get a player to agree to such a clause. There are already clauses banning certain risky behaviors. I'm curious as to why this hasn't happened, and your opinions.

Agloco
04-14-2009, 06:08 PM
He was hurt in the NBA Playoffs last year, and then played hurt in the Olympics.

Which only amplifies my point. You can't possibly believe that playing in the olympics helped his injury right?

Manu knew full well that his actions were potentially detrimental to his ability to fulfill his obligations to the Spurs, written or not. Moral obligation fail for him.

EricB

Reinjured it.

REINJURED IT.

Could've sat out and got surgery and fixed it last june, but no, heaven forbid.

kace
How about France giving him a full month rest while they figure out whether or not their team is even halfway close to being a legitimate contender?

The Spurs gave Parker a month off this season. But considering Parker's size and the amount of hits he takes during the NBA, he needs the whole summer off to give his body a chance to survive the upcoming rigors. Parker takes as much of a pounding as anyone in the league. This year even more so than usual.

He needs a good three to four months off to get refuel, as ducks would say.

well, i guess the only thing we'll agree is that with this poor french national team, tony has to carry the load way too much. that's for sure.

but the first time i saw Tony showing his current level of leadership was with the french team last summer. he couldn't really capitalize on it because of his injury, but i really think it helped him to be the obvious leader of this team.

and you know what, let's say tony play for this pre qualification tournament and for the european championship: if the french NT fail to qualify, Tony will have plenty of rest in the next Olympics. if this team can qualify, then tony would have not been there for nothing since most of you agree that an Olympics participation worth it.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-14-2009, 06:09 PM

No need to be so upset. If Italy send an A team then France might not even qualify.

EricB
04-14-2009, 06:10 PM
The obvious counter to TPark's unwarranted xenophobic remarks is that the Spurs managed to win NBA Titles in:

2003 after Argentina's 2nd Place Finish in the 2002 FIBA World Championship (with Ginobili's participation - even though he sprained his ankle)

and in:

2005 after Argentina's Gold Medal Finish in the Athens Olympics (with Ginobili's injury-free participation. Not to be ignored is the fact that Duncan also played ball that summer for Team USA - Duncan was actually hobbled by an ankle sprain suffered at Detroit latter that season).

The truth that people are reluctant to accept:
Ginobili was hurt in last year's playoffs and would have needed surgery regardless of whether or not he decided to participate in the Beijing Olympics (games he was actually cleared for by San Antonio's own medical staff). His Olympic mishap then was an eventuality.

Injuries are a part of sports...

Besides Parker's style of play is nowhere near as detrimental to his body as Ginobili's is to his. The argument isn't entirely reflexive.

Yes, I'm xenophobic because I want the Spurs to be succesfull.

Right on skippy.

Agloco
Can anyone explain why this HASN'T become a negotiating point in contracts? I would think it would add leverage on BOTH sides, depending on the player.

A player might take a slightly smaller contract to retain the ability to play international ball during the summer, or a team might have to pay more to get a player to agree to such a clause. There are already clauses banning certain risky behaviors. I'm curious as to why this hasn't happened, and your opinions.

I believe the NBA has stated that these exclusions cannot be written into contracts. The original premise was to help entice foreign players to play here.

As more of these cases surface however, I think we will see some owners approaching the NBA about lifting that rule.

Kill_Bill_Pana

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

The best Euro countries can run 2 rosters worth of players that can beat France.

EricB
04-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Which only amplifies my point. You can't possibly believe that playing in the olympics helped his injury right?

Manu knew full well that his actions were potentially detrimental to his ability to fulfill his obligations to the Spurs, written or not. Moral obligation fail for him.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

DPG21920
04-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Reinjured it.

REINJURED IT.

Could've sat out and got surgery and fixed it last june, but no, heaven forbid.

Bullshit. How come you do not get mad at the Spurs for playing Manu when he was knowingly and visibly injured? How come only NT basketball gets your wrath?

Don't be a hypocrite. Criticize the Spurs as well for injuring Ginobili. Also, should players be allowed to train in the offseason? Should they be allowed to play, intense and competitive pick up games with other pros to keep in shape and work on their game?

kace

no talent when most of the NBA players aren't there (that was the case last summer)
no gameplan
no winner outside Tony.
too much to overcome.

but the staff has changed, the best french NBA players could be there next summer. Noah could give some heart to this team. there's still hope for us. but none if tony doesn't play.

oh, and the Argentine NT has a lot more of talent than the french one. More talent and more heart.

Bukefal
Nice, I really want to see them at eurobasket in poland. But italy will be hard though.

Kill_Bill_Pana
the french NT is certainly not good enough to win the Olympics and probably not the European tournament. does it mean that we don't even need to try to get qualified and participate ? i don't think so.

if all the NBA stars should only play when their teams has a chance to win it all, or at least to get far in the PO, half of them would never be seen on the court.

Do not worry about what they say. American NBA fans are very hateful and disrespectful against European game. This championship is just as important or more to Europeans as NBA is to Americans but they will argue and argue and say it is not. They only see world through America only.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-14-2009, 06:14 PM

Euro tournament is overall very close to level of Olympics. Many teams in Eurobasket are much better than many teams in Olympics. FACT

Brazil
04-14-2009, 06:15 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

The best Euro countries can run 2 rosters worth of players that can beat France.

In terms of talent you are dead wrong, what roster could put the equivalent of TP Diaw Turiaff Batum Pietrus Noah Ian Petro Ajinca just to name the NBA players ?? not a shit load may be two or three max

lefty
04-14-2009, 06:15 PM

TP and Diaw are talented; the other frenchies are impressive athletes, but they are not great talents

Argie has a higher BB IQ

Another problem with the French national team: they've had the same coach for a loooong time

ploto
04-14-2009, 06:16 PM
but the first time i saw Tony showing his current level of leadership was with the french team last summer. he couldn't really capitalize on it because of his injury, but i really think it helped him to be the obvious leader of this team.
A lot of NBA teams used to encourage these international players to play for their national teams for this very reason- they usually have a larger role and a leadership role that allows them to grow as players. The Spurs always encouraged Rasho to play for Slovenia and if you ever saw him play for them, you would know why.

Phenomanul
04-14-2009, 06:17 PM

Right on skippy.

Your first post was highly inflammatory. You cursed out an entire country.

Hence the xenophobia...

But very typical of you to pounce on one word without actually addressing the logical fallacy of your statement... especially when countered with arguments that proved your stance is not as full-proof as you assume it is.

Players decisions to play for their national teams in the summer don't necessarily dictate whether or not the Spurs win a championship the following year.

I guess FIBA is to blame for Fisher's 0.4 and the Barry no-call.

:wakeup

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-14-2009, 06:17 PM
This is going to hurt us a lot over the next few seasons. With Duncan in his twilight, Parker will need to shoulder most of the load. We need him rested and ready for the season.

I agree with timvp...if he wants to play in the Olympics then that is his perogative, but playing in garbage tournaments every summer is excessive.

Again with this? WTF is these stupid comments? This not suck ass Americas championship. Euro championship is overall much better level than world championship is. It is nothing in any way garbage or crap tournament.

This is why NBA American fans have so horrible reputation around world with all these ridiculous things they say.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-14-2009, 06:18 PM

Right on skippy.

no, you're xenophobic because you don't know when to shut the fuck up. Nobody minds that you don't like that Tony is playing. Your bullshit comments about France being a "good for nothing country nobody gives a fuck about" is what makes you a giant fucking xenophobic douche, entiende?

Spurs Brazil
04-14-2009, 06:18 PM
In terms of talent you are dead wrong, what roster could put the equivalent of TP Diaw Turiaff Batum Pietrus Noah Ian Petro Ajinca just to name the NBA players ?? not a shit load may be two or three max

Greece. They have like 10 or 15 players in the NBA

Oh wait...

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against a player giving back as you say. It's a wonderful thing. Unfortunately, this represents a conflict as it were. The choice for the player then is: employer or country. There are many ways to give back with the millions they make. Just as long as they do it off court. Ultimately it's an issue of health, are you as a player doing everything within reason to stay healthy so that you can fulfill your obligations?

Again, Olympics every four years: reasonable. All of these tournaments each and every year are really pushing the envelope though.

This is very reasonable and understandable. I agree with this. But do not make mistake that Euro championship is crap tournament. Most Olympic teams would struggle a lot in the Euro tournament.

Agloco
04-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Agloco, I only quote your post because of the part I've bolded that always winds up in these debates. I appreciate posts like yours that try to make a point without personal attacks.

As to contractual obligations; all NBA teams and players are subject to the provisions of the CBA. Under the CBA, the owners get limits on players salaries, rookie pay scales, and other things that protect their interests. The players get guaranteed contracts and many other benefits. The CBA prohibits certain behavior and allows teams to seek remedies in the case of violations (Monta Ellis, Vladimir Radmanovic, for ex).

The CBA specifically protects the players right to play for their National Teams as long as certain insurability issues are addressed. Beyond that, the NBA actively promotes and markets the participation of its players. The NBA is an active partner in the financing, training, coaching and marketing of USA Basketball.

I have no problem with any NBA player participating for their national teams.

I also have no problem with a team doing what the Spurs with Manu last summer and withholding a contract extension to wait and see what the effects of such participation may be on a player's future contributions to the team.

If NBA owners want additional control over National Team play, they should negotiate it into the next CBA.

Yeah, I re-posted admitting my poor choice of wording......

tlongII
04-14-2009, 06:22 PM
I thought he was already married???

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-14-2009, 06:22 PM

They have a very small talent pool compared to better Euro countries in basketball. Slovenia, Spain, Lithuania, Serbia, Greece can send plenty of players that do not even make their team that would be stars on French team. France has had bad coaching but this is not the main problem.

Slovenia is bad coaching and players not wanting to play but for France main problem is they cannot compete with these other countries in talent. Those main ones like Spain, Serbia, Greece, Lithuania have many more good players to choose from than France.

EricB
04-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Your first post was highly inflammatory. You cursed out an entire country.

Hence the xenophobia...

But very typical of you to pounce on one word without actually addressing the logical fallacy of your statement... especially when countered with arguments that proved your stance is not as full-proof as you assume it is.

Players decisions to play for their national teams in the summer don't necessarily dictate whether or not the Spurs win a championship the following year.

I guess FIBA is to blame for Fisher's 0.4 and the Barry no-call.

:wakeup

Hmmm, David Robinson 1996 1997

Ginobili this year

Bukefal
04-14-2009, 06:25 PM
This is very reasonable and understandable. I agree with this. But do not make mistake that Euro championship is crap tournament. Most Olympic teams would struggle a lot in the Euro tournament.

You cant compare that, everything is relative. but yeah, eurobasket is competitive and hard. Anyway, i think its good for international nba players to keep playing for their countries. Thats their duty, and the nba teams should stop objecting. Injuries happen everywhere, wether at their club or nt, shit happens. What's the best thing, than playing for your country?? :king

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-14-2009, 06:25 PM
A tournament that consists of Finland, Portugal and Belgium is a scrub tournament ... no matter how much bounce you add to your sig.

Euro tournament is right there with world championship and overall is stronger even maybe. It is just a little barely below Olympics. Argentina send B team to Americas tournament and wins silver or or gold. if they did that in Eurobasket they would be lucky to finish in 10th place. Americans really have no clue about FIBA basketball.

Bukefal
04-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Those main ones like Spain, Serbia, Greece, Lithuania have many more good players to choose from than France.

Exactly, Serbia especially, although they arent doing so well recently.

DPG21920
04-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Bullshit. How come you do not get mad at the Spurs for playing Manu when he was knowingly and visibly injured? How come only NT basketball gets your wrath?

Don't be a hypocrite. Criticize the Spurs as well for injuring Ginobili. Also, should players be allowed to train in the offseason? Should they be allowed to play, intense and competitive pick up games with other pros to keep in shape and work on their game?

Ginobili this year

DPG21920
04-14-2009, 06:27 PM
By the way, how can any tournament with Finland be considered bad???

DAF86
04-14-2009, 06:28 PM
no talent when most of the NBA players aren't there (that was the case last summer)
no gameplan
no winner outside Tony.
too much to overcome.

but the staff has changed, the best french NBA players could be there next summer. Noah could give some heart to this team. there's still hope for us. but none if tony doesn't play.

oh, and the Argentine NT has a lot more of talent than the french one. More talent and more heart.

More heart maybe, more BBIQ seems too. But not more talent. In the last Olympics we had a six men team with no backups for the point guard position nor the 4 and 5. And we played some mayor minutes two guys that spent all his career in the Argie league (which isn't very good outside the young talents, 'cause all the players go to play to Europe or the NBA).

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Nice, I really want to see them at eurobasket in poland. But italy will be hard though.

Yes they might not even make it over Italy and all fans here is going crazy.

Agloco
04-14-2009, 06:29 PM
A tournament that consists of Finland, Portugal and Belgium is a scrub tournament ... no matter how much bounce you add to your sig.

+1

Why is Parker needed against that type of competition in the first place?

kace
They have a very small talent pool compared to better Euro countries in basketball. Slovenia, Spain, Lithuania, Serbia, Greece can send plenty of players that do not even make their team that would be stars on French team. France has had bad coaching but this is not the main problem.

Slovenia is bad coaching and players not wanting to play but for France main problem is they cannot compete with these other countries in talent. Those main ones like Spain, Serbia, Greece, Lithuania have many more good players to choose from than France.

true. if we had to bring 20 names of good players, we would be in bad position.

but to have a competitive team, you only really need 7 or 8 good players. We have them. We should do better. We were 5th in the 2006 world championship (without tony) and 2nd in the 2000 Olympics.

sonic21
eurobasket is competitive,
except for the US and Argentina NT, all the good teams are in europe.

Bukefal
04-14-2009, 06:30 PM
By the way, how can any tournament with Finland be considered bad???

That's why finland has to qualify (yet) and isnt in the final tournament.

EricB
04-14-2009, 06:32 PM
Why should I critique the Spurs for injuring him?

HES GETTING PAID MILLIONS BY THE SPURS

NOT ARGENTINA

THATS THE GODDAMN POINT

Kill_Bill_Pana

lol NBA only fan disease. Other than Parker not one of them would even be that good of a player for best Euro national teams. Several of them would have no chance in hell of even making a roster for best Euro teams. Please.

Parker of course great, Diaw good for that level but nothing more than that and the rest a bunch of average or suck ass players at that level.

Phenomanul

Ginobili this year

Hence the choice of the word "necessarily"....

Your crass extremism is your achiles' heel when it comes to debating such things... it's rather impulsive. Sometimes it's 'spot-on' and sometimes it's 'not'... but one thing is for sure, it's always (to borrow a word from your set) opinionated...

:hat

Agloco
04-14-2009, 06:34 PM

If the Spurs want to risk their investment, then that's their prerogative. The NT shouldn't get to call the shots with another businesses money. Should they?

Marcus Bryant
04-14-2009, 06:34 PM
http://www.la2day.com/images/page_image/Motherfucker.jpg

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-14-2009, 06:35 PM

Oh wait...

You fucking dumbass. He only lists maybe 2 French players that can even make national team of Greece. Some of you are such unreal morons.

kace
04-14-2009, 06:36 PM
More heart maybe, more BBIQ seems too. But not more talent. In the last Olympics we had a six men team with no backups for the point guard position nor the 4 and 5. And we played some mayor minutes two guys that spent all his career in the Argie league (which isn't very good outside the young talents, 'cause all the players go to play to Europe or the NBA).

Did you see the french big men these last years ? :lol

hey, this is the best one: MywyMVCfX6Q

hopefully Noah and Turiaf could do some good things, but it's still safe to say that the offensive talent is not their best skill.

Give me Oberto and Scola, i'll take it.

DPG21920
04-14-2009, 06:37 PM

:lmao

EricB
04-14-2009, 06:37 PM
If the Spurs want to risk their investment, then that's their prerogative. The NT shouldn't get to call the shots with another businesses money. Should they?

Thank you.

But I think the Spurs were nuts for clearing him anyways.

Should've shut him down, operated on the ankle, rehab in the damn summer.

duncan228
04-14-2009, 06:39 PM

:lol Don't hold back MB, tell us how you really feel.

ducks
04-14-2009, 06:40 PM
ducks does not approve of TP playing
if he is injured before playing ducks would be really upset
pop did not publically tell tp not to play like he did with manu
there is a difference
still tp SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING
ducks has been busy at work today
ducks had to fix a bia computer in town
ducks has a job sometimes he can post here at work

Summers
04-14-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm on the fence with this, but for the sake of argument, professional teams often require their players to sign contracts that explicitly forbid them from doing things like riding motorcycles or skiing, because of the risk of injury. Could they not also forbid their athletes to play certain summer tournaments?

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-14-2009, 06:42 PM
You cant compare that, everything is relative. but yeah, eurobasket is competitive and hard. Anyway, i think its good for international nba players to keep playing for their countries. Thats their duty, and the nba teams should stop objecting. Injuries happen everywhere, wether at their club or nt, shit happens. What's the best thing, than playing for your country?? :king

Yes but NBA American fans cannot accept this. Look at all these "crap tournament" and "garbage tournament" things they say here. They are so arrogant and ignorant all the time with these comments. There is probably 8-10 Euro teams in any time that can win gold medal in Americas or Asian tournament. Those are crap level tournaments not Eurobasket.

Look at World Championship with so many teams that would be blown out of games in Eurobasket. And then some here brings up poor level Euro clubs and says that makes it "scrub tournament" but even mid level teams in Olympics could probably not make it past group stage of Eurobasket. Croatia is really an average team in Eurobasket but in Olympics they are one of the stronger ones.

So all arguments that you can play Olympics because it is good not Eurobasket because it sucks are stupid and foolish and wrong. Just say you do not want him to play but stop making up bull shit. Not everyone has such a POS regions tournament like Americas do.

ducks

see ducks earlier post

ducks does not approve of TP playing
if he is injured before playing ducks would be really upset
pop did not publically tell tp not to play like he did with manu
there is a difference
still tp SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING
ducks has been busy at work today
ducks had to fix a bia computer in town
ducks has a job sometimes he can post here at work

EricB

exactly

will_spurs
04-14-2009, 06:43 PM
lol NBA only fan disease. Other than Parker not one of them would even be that good of a player for best Euro national teams. Several of them would have no chance in hell of even making a roster for best Euro teams. Please.

Parker of course great, Diaw good for that level but nothing more than that and the rest a bunch of average or suck ass players at that level.

The Euroleague MVP would barely be a All-Star player in the NBA (remember a guy named Ginobili, he owned everything in Europe). Batum and Ajinca are unknown quantities at this point but Noah or Turiaf coudn't make it in Europe... yeah right... just stop with the Euroleague BS.

Coming back to the question at hand:
- there are a lot more countries, therefore when the US NT is 10 NBA guys, it's obviously much more in Europe
- the level is much higher. When trying to qualify for the Olympics it's not a 3-game tournament and basketball world-powers like Puerto Rico and the Bahamas... :rolleyes France has to go to the Euro championship pre-tournament, then maybe to the Euro tournament, then maybe to the Olympics. The path is much longer. That's why it's important to start now.
- I agree that guys from the US just don't get it, after all the US league always crowns the "World Champion" :rolleyes

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Exactly, Serbia especially, although they arent doing so well recently.

Yes Serbia has biggest talent pool of all.

EricB
I'm on the fence with this, but for the sake of argument, professional teams often require their players to sign contracts that explicitly forbid them from doing things like riding motorcycles or skiing, because of the risk of injury. Could they not also forbid their athletes to play certain summer tournaments?

No because retarded David Stern and the idiotic NBA won't let the teams do it.

If they did, the Mavericks would be the VERY first to do it.

Bruno
France NT has clearly underachieved in the past but they have enough talent to be a major team in Europe.

This summer, they will have a new coach and lots of players are having a good season. It could work.

DPG21920
04-14-2009, 06:46 PM
No because retarded David Stern and the idiotic NBA won't let the teams do it.

If they did, the Mavericks would be the VERY first to do it.

If you go to a new restaurant and the food/service is bad, do you continue to go there over and over?

spurspokesman
04-14-2009, 06:46 PM

Exactly. Here we go again.

Bruno
04-14-2009, 06:47 PM

No the NBA has signed an agreement with FIBA and can't forbid its players to play with their NT.
A NBA team isn't even allowed to say to one of its players "we don't want you to play with your NT".

ducks
04-14-2009, 06:48 PM
well hill homers should be thrilled
this insures hill will get playing time at begining of year

DPG21920
04-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Exactly. Here we go again.

Manu was hurt playing for the Spurs before entering the Olympics. Parker is healthy as of now. I am willing to wager that if Parker gets hurt in the playoffs, he will not be playing for France.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-14-2009, 06:49 PM

Most of the French players from NBA suck. They play in NBA so what? Ones being mentioned other than Parker and Diaw are nothing special. I really do not think any of them could even be close to make roster of Spain or Greece.

Argentina team in Olympics did not have depth but main players like Manu, Scola, Prigioni, Nocioni, Delfino this is far superior to anything France can come up with IMO. Any of them will be 2nd or 3rd best player for France.

Summers
04-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Yes but NBA American fans cannot accept this. Look at all these "crap tournament" and "garbage tournament" things they say here. They are so arrogant and ignorant all the time with these comments. There is probably 8-10 Euro teams in any time that can win gold medal in Americas or Asian tournament. Those are crap level tournaments not Eurobasket.

Look at World Championship with so many teams that would be blown out of games in Eurobasket. And then some here brings up poor level Euro clubs and says that makes it "scrub tournament" but even mid level teams in Olympics could probably not make it past group stage of Eurobasket. Croatia is really an average team in Eurobasket but in Olympics they are one of the stronger ones.

So all arguments that you can play Olympics because it is good not Eurobasket because it sucks are stupid and foolish and wrong. Just say you do not want him to play but stop making up bull shit. Not everyone has such a POS regions tournament like Americas do.

Americans are stupid and arrogant. Got it. Eurologue rocks and Greece is the greatest country on Earth. But that really has jack-all to do with whether or not it's wise for Tony to compromise his health (and his ability to contribute to the team that pays his rent, however lowly and untalented the Spurs are) by going toe-to-toe with the greatest basketball talent in the world during the summer.

smeagol
04-14-2009, 06:53 PM
The guy is French and loves his country.

Is that so difficult to understand?

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-14-2009, 06:54 PM
true. if we had to bring 20 names of good players, we would be in bad position.

but to have a competitive team, you only really need 7 or 8 good players. We have them. We should do better. We were 5th in the 2006 world championship (without tony) and 2nd in the 2000 Olympics.

France, Italy, Turkey, Serbia, Greece, Slovenia are all under achieving. They should all be better than they have played. France should be able to challenge at least to qualify for Olympics. But still against so many ones Spain, Greece, Lithuania, Serbia, Croatia, Turkey should improve now Slovenia says they will send better team is very hard to accomplish.

I think top 4 teams from Europe only can make Olympics. Now also British team is getting stronger and also Italy.

Summers
04-14-2009, 06:54 PM
No the NBA has signed an agreement with FIBA and can't forbid its players to play with their NT.
A NBA team isn't even allowed to say to one of its players "we don't want you to play with your NT".

I'm having flashbacks to my last parent-teacher conference when the teacher said to us, "I'm not a doctor. I can't diagnose your child. I'm not allowed to say I think he should be on ADD medication."

Summers
04-14-2009, 06:57 PM
France, Italy, Turkey, Serbia, Greece, Slovenia are all under achieving. They should all be better than they have played. France should be able to challenge at least to qualify for Olympics. But still against so many ones Spain, Greece, Lithuania, Serbia, Croatia, Turkey should improve now Slovenia says they will send better team is very hard to accomplish.

I think top 4 teams from Europe only can make Olympics. Now also British team is getting stronger and also Italy.

There's some big dudes who play horse just down the street from me. Maybe Tony can take off every Friday night to play with them?

Bruno
04-14-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm having flashbacks to my last parent-teacher conference when the teacher said to us, "I'm not a doctor. I can't diagnose your child. I'm not allowed to say I think he should be on ADD medication."

:lol

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-14-2009, 06:59 PM

I am sure Team USA will love such rule from NBA:rolleyes

spursfan1000
04-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Wow is Parker really going to do this? Stupid,Stupid,Stupid.

anakha
04-14-2009, 07:03 PM
*Sigh*

So what's TPark's justification for cursing out France this time?

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-14-2009, 07:05 PM
The Euroleague MVP would barely be a All-Star player in the NBA (remember a guy named Ginobili, he owned everything in Europe). Batum and Ajinca are unknown quantities at this point but Noah or Turiaf coudn't make it in Europe... yeah right... just stop with the Euroleague BS.

Eurobasket has nothing to do with Euroleague idiot. And Manu was playing in Europe years ago it is 10 times better league than then dumbass.

Noah and Turiaf would be fighting with much difficulty to even make a roster of Lithuania, Greece, or Spain. You sound like an idiot for saying different. Those teams have plenty of players at same position that are better than them and those countries have more players not even in their teams that are in same position and better than them.

This is such crazy nonsense "he plays in NBA he will crush Eurobasket" I guess that explain it then why Dirk or Parker cannot even win it even when strong countries was sending B teams.

DPG21920
04-14-2009, 07:09 PM
*Sigh*

So what's TPark's justification for cursing out France this time?

Who is Tpark?

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Americans are stupid and arrogant. Got it. Eurologue rocks and Greece is the greatest country on Earth. But that really has jack-all to do with whether or not it's wise for Tony to compromise his health (and his ability to contribute to the team that pays his rent, however lowly and untalented the Spurs are) by going toe-to-toe with the greatest basketball talent in the world during the summer.

Eurobasket has nothing to do with Euroleague. How many times this have to be said? Anyway I do not care if some do not want him to play. I can understand and even agree in some ways.

But this is not like Manu. Manu really never should have play in Olympics. But Parker is healthy and his team really need him. And France basketball will be in lower levels of Europe if he will not help them. This is nothing like Manu situation.

Is more like Dirk with Germany. Let them play at least when they are young. Manu and Yao is getting much different they need to stop but Parker? Spurs fans are being dicks to him about this.

phxspurfan
04-14-2009, 07:11 PM
somebody please shoot France in the face with a pellet gun

Bruno
04-14-2009, 07:12 PM
BTW, a strange thing I've read but isn't worth starting a new thread.

Pop will be one week in France this summer to coach young players at a basketball camp organized by TP between July 5th and July 11th.
It's the peak of the FA period and Pop isn't only a coach but an unofficial GM.

Am I the only one who find this strange ?

timvp
04-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Greece isn't even in Europe.

benefactor
04-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Neither is Houston.

DPG21920
04-14-2009, 07:15 PM

Pop will be one week in France this summer to coach young player at a basketball camp organized by TP between July 5th and July 11th.

Which player?

timvp
04-14-2009, 07:16 PM

Pop will be one week in France this summer to coach young player at a basketball camp organized by TP between July 5th and July 11th.

How far is Slovenia from the camp? I can't wait for Pop to hike up the Slovenian mountains again to reach Rasho's one-room hut to offer him a $40M contract.

Bruno
04-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Which player?

It's players (my bad).

The TP camp is a youth camp with nearly 200 teenagers.

DPG21920
04-14-2009, 07:22 PM
It's players (my bad).

The TP camp is a youth camp with nearly 200 teenagers.

Well maybe there are some reasons to be "over there" and this is a good mask. Didn't you post something about a certain young frenchman the Spurs are interested in?

Bruno
04-14-2009, 07:23 PM
How far is Slovenia from the camp? I can't wait for Pop to hike up the Slovenian mountains again to reach Rasho's one-room hut to offer him a $40M contract.

Well I wouldn't be surprised too see Spurs trying to sign Rasho for a cheap contract this summer.

I just find Pop going overseas at that period of the summer. Maybe he will also stay after that week in France to watch the NT with Larry Brown and drink bottles of wine. :toast

Bruno
04-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Well maybe there are some reasons to be "over there" and this is a good mask. Didn't you post something about a certain young frenchman the Spurs are interested in?

It isn't a high level camp. Pop doesn't go there to scout talents. It's more in the "NBA cares" mold.

duncan228
04-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Who is Tpark?

EricB.

DPG21920
04-14-2009, 07:27 PM
It isn't a high level camp. Pop doesn't go there to scout talents. It's more in the "NBA cares" mold.

No I meant he was going over there to talk to someone (possible player) and while he was there he was helping TP out with the camp.

DPG21920
04-14-2009, 07:28 PM
EricB.

Mrs 228, I dangled the bait, but you were not the fish I wanted to catch :p:

duncan228
04-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Mrs 228, I dangled the bait, but you were not the fish I wanted to catch :p:

:lol Sorry, my bad. I thought you were serious.

Darthkiller
04-14-2009, 07:58 PM

er son

Parker - finals mvp, starting PG for 3 nba championship

Batum - Starting SF for championship contender. Jordan said he is a young pippen

Diaw- former MIP. Starting PF for a playoff contender

Turiaff- former backup center for a final team

Noah- starting center for a playoff team, getting better and better although he is ugly like shit.

pietrus- starter for a championshp contender before injury

Brazil
04-14-2009, 08:06 PM

Oh wait...

urunobili
04-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Tony has a worse history than Manu coming back injured from NT playing...

Manu had one and ended up being the worst ever for the Team re-agravating something that begun playing for the Spurs though...

I think TP also saw how important is for his status on France overall as country by participating of this and I support his will and comitment...

Allez TP!

Brazil
04-14-2009, 08:11 PM

Pietrus Batum Noah not good enough to be in the roster of the best euro teams :lol

Capt Bringdown
04-14-2009, 08:16 PM

Agreed. There already is an international league, and it's the only international league that truly matters: The NBA.

The US should abandon the Dream team concept and let the amatuers get on with playing their silly games that mean nothing.

I'd like to see a clause in all NBA contracts that states that if you get injured during National off-season play, you forfeit your salary. Love your country? Good for you, let's see how much: are you willing to bet your NBA millions on it?

sonic21
04-14-2009, 08:23 PM
french NT starting five:
parker, pietrus, batum, diaw, noah.
All are having a good season, so i like our chances (the podium is possible).

Brazil
04-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Agreed. There already is an international league, and it's the only international league that truly matters: The NBA.

The US should abandon the Dream team concept and let the amatuers get on with playing their silly games that mean nothing.

I'd like to see a clause in all NBA contracts that states that if you get injured during National off-season play, you forfeit your salary. Love your country? Good for you, let's see how much: are you willing to bet your NBA millions on it?

Go and tell stern to modify the rules but as of today the rule is simple: if you give a contract to a player you cannot prevent him from playing for his country it's part of the deal. If you are not happy hire some scrubs that have no chance to play for a national team.

ElNono
04-14-2009, 08:28 PM

You keep complaining about the money, but if Tony gets injured the Spurs get every cent back through insurance. The money is not the point.
Obviously I didn't expect you to know that.

I'm happy for Tony that he can actually represent his country, one of the highest honors a player can have.

Bruno
04-14-2009, 08:31 PM
french NT starting five:
parker, pietrus, batum, diaw, noah.
All are having a good season, so i like our chances (the podium is possible).

I'm not sure Pietrus will accept to join the NT.

ElNono
04-14-2009, 08:33 PM

Pop will be one week in France this summer to coach young players at a basketball camp organized by TP between July 5th and July 11th.

Let's hope he doesn't get injured during that camp... he might have to return his salary otherwise... :rolleyes

EVAY
04-14-2009, 08:34 PM
a lot of people won’t agree… and will bring the…. Who’s paying them the money and all that crap… but this is my personal point of view … what’s the point on being an elite athlete and not being able to represent your own country? Americans are so selfish sometimes…. I applaud tony’s decision.

+1

Brazil
04-14-2009, 08:40 PM
You keep complaining about the money, but if Tony gets injured the Spurs get every cent back through insurance. The money is not the point.

I'm happy for Tony that he can actually represent his country, one of the highest honors a player can have.

thank you ElNono :toast

GSH
04-14-2009, 09:48 PM

Every time our players have played international ball in the summer, they have been exhausted at the beginning of the following season. And didn't Parker miss the beginning of the 03-04 season because he got injured playing international ball in the summer?

I don't think that anyone here objects to Tony Parker playing basketball for France, if that's what he wants to do. I just think that the people who object recognize that there is a price to be paid for those kinds of personal choices. The problem is that ultimately it is the loyalty of fans that is paying all the bills for the NBA, its teams, and its players.

A lot of you insist that defending your country is the highest honor for a professional athlete. Obviously Tony Parker feels that way too. But there's another message that goes along with that. If playing summer ball is the highest honor, it means that the support we fans show is second-rate. You can't have it both ways. Just remember that loyalty is a two-way street. Tony obviously believes that loyal fans can't live without him, no matter what he does - so we will continue to support him, even though he regards the French audience so much higher.

GSH
04-14-2009, 09:55 PM

Will the Spurs get cap relief to allow them to sign another good PG? Will the fans get any of their money back? Will the insurance company be able to extend the window of opportunity on Tim Duncan's career?

I am personally tired of people who think that something is free if the government or an insurance company pays for it. The money isn't the point? Of course the money isn't the point, you fucking pinhead! The money is never the point, except to the people who are paying the money.

You really did ride the short bus to school every day, didn't you? I think you really have become my permanent sig bitch.

Bumblebee Man
04-14-2009, 10:04 PM
!Ay Yi Yi No me Gusta!

Brazil
04-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Will the Spurs get cap relief to allow them to sign another good PG? Will the fans get any of their money back? Will the insurance company be able to extend the window of opportunity on Tim Duncan's career?

I am personally tired of people who think that something is free if the government or an insurance company pays for it. The money isn't the point? Of course the money isn't the point, you fucking pinhead! The money is never the point, except to the people who are paying the money.

You really did ride the short bus to school every day, didn't you? I think you really have become my permanent sig bitch.

:sleep The rule and the constraints are the same for all the teams in the NBA. It's an agreement between fiba and nba, you cannot prevent a player from playing for his country period. deal with it.
The mavs lakers etc are facing the same issue, it's a fair deal if you're not happy asks the spurs FO contract only scrubs US players or players that don't give a shit of their country.

Lady M
04-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Larry Brown sign with french national team to be an "assistant" and follow Diaw and maybe Ajinca
He speaks with Pop when spurs play agaisnt Charlotte and Pop say he can do the to follow Tony and maybe Ian

ElNono
04-14-2009, 11:12 PM

Your lack of understanding on this topic is clear. So I'm only left with possessing your ass again.

Let's address the first garbage point you attempt to make on your previous post: Players get more tired playing summer ball and can't perform as well the next season.

This is utter and complete bullshit. Not only that, it's a myth that easily debunkable. As far as Spurs players are concerned, we can look at Ginobili in '03 and '05, Duncan in '05. League wide, every single MVP candidate this season has played for Team USA not only this last summer, but also the summer before.
Furthermore, we can add players of other countries, like Spain, whose players are having an outstanding season (Gasol, Fernandez, etc).
Another point made by Kori plenty of times is that NBA players still play in the summer on a regular basis too. In a nutshell, another point you're trying to make that's absolute and utter garbage, and completely unsubstantiated.

Now, we can move on to your second weak sauce argument: Teams never benefit from players competing for their respective countries.

The reason the NBA signed an agreement with FIBA is to expand the NBA reach outside the US. Now, they didn't do this because they thought it was just cool. They did it because it allows them to expand both their TV and merchandising market worldwide. By reaching a wider audience, the NBA (and by definition the teams that make up the NBA) benefit monetarily.

Players like Yao Ming are the epitome of that global expansion. On top of the commercial benefit, the NBA team receives compensation through insurance if a player gets injured while playing in these competitions. This insurance is not optional, and it's a precondition to allow the player to compete in a FIBA organized tournament.

Now, that's from a team standpoint. From a player's standpoint, you can go ask any professional athlete, and the vast majority will tell you there's no greater honor than to represent your country. Spurs greats, like David Robinson proudly mentions his two Olympic gold medals among the greatest accomplishments in his pro career.

This takes us to the last viewpoint, the fan perspective. Now, to address this part you need to know what players your team is made of. Is it made of a bunch of self centered pricks that will prioritize the quick buck over glory? Or is it made of a bunch of guys that are willing to leave money on the table in order to have a shot at glory?
The current Spurs are made of the second kind of players, and that fabric is what makes the Spurs the team it is. Which is the same fabric that makes these same players want to go for glory at every chance they get.
Duncan spoke with his wallet when he extended for less money in order to give the team flexibility. Same for Bowen. Manu had a juicy extension on the table, but choose to seek glory over cashing out.

As a fan, I'm more than grateful that we have THESE kind of players and not the selfish pricks money grubbers that are not in it to win it.

And please, with all the free asses in sigs, who the fuck is gonna read your shit? Plus your sig always goes together with your bitchmade posts, so it's really easy to see who is the actual retard.

Mel_13
04-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Or is it made of a bunch of guys that are willing to leave money on the table in order to have a shot at glory? The current Spurs are made of the second kind of players, and that fabric is what makes the Spurs the team it is. Which is the same fabric that makes these same players want to go for glory at every chance they get.

Duncan spoke with his wallet when he extended for less money in order to give the team flexibility. Same for Bowen. Manu had a juicy extension on the table, but choose to seek glory over cashing out.

As a fan, I'm more than grateful that we have THESE kind of players and not the selfish pricks money grubbers that are not in it to win it.

:tu

Great summation of how this team's character makes it so easy to be a fan.

bdictjames
04-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Its all about country pride people.

For patriotic Americans I can't believe you guys would not understand that.

Tony put France before San Antonio; and he's got his priorities straight.

spursfan09
04-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Its all about country pride people.

For patriotic Americans I can't believe you guys would not understand that.

Tony put France before San Antonio; and he's got his priorities straight.

And the spurs will remember that come contract time.

ElNono
04-15-2009, 12:32 AM
And the spurs will remember that come contract time.

They sure did. Gave him an extension till 2012 IIRC.

bdictjames
04-15-2009, 12:37 AM
Country >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Money

Does the contract say that the player can't play for his national team?

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-15-2009, 12:42 AM

We understand it just fine. We still think it's bullshit though. Have a nice day.

spursfan09
04-15-2009, 12:46 AM

Well I hope he can stay healthy and compete for the Spurs. Thats the only team I care about. Hopefully this doesn't turn into the same situation his counterpart from Argentina is in.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-15-2009, 12:47 AM
I agree with timvp, in that if it's for Olympic play that's one thing, but for "World Championships" that's becoming a bit much.

roycrikside
04-15-2009, 12:55 AM

So you're saying the Spurs signing Manu to a six year deal in 2004 was a mistake? Because that was his last contract. Since it's against the league's collective bargaining agreement to contractually forbid players from participating in international tournaments, you're pretty much saying the Spurs just stick to having players not good enough to be asked to participate.

Good plan. :tu

Laker Lanny
04-15-2009, 12:58 AM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/iii.jpg

roycrikside
04-15-2009, 01:12 AM

Right on skippy.

Who knows why you're xenophobic? Bad parenting would be my guess. Also, you were raised in an environment that didn't emphasize spelling and grammar. But you have taken numerous shots at France and other countries both on this thread and many, many other ones. You're basically a typical Republican "God bless America and no one else" dipshit.

As for your stupid remarks in this inane thread, here's all the stuff you or anyone else has to understand

1) It is illegal for the Spurs or any other NBA team to put language in a contract forbidding a player to compete in international competitions. It is against the league's collective bargaining agreement. Sure, the front office could make suggestions to a player, maybe offer him advice on the subject, but they can't forbid it.

2) Millions of fans across this country criticize athletes for just being mercenaries and just caring about money. Manu knowingly risked his future contract and left a $20M+ extension on the table for the privilege of playing for his country. You can call him crazy or stupid, but don't call him selfish. He has his priorities and if they're not in line with yours, so be it. He's not your slave. You don't own his body from the day the Spurs' season ends to the day training camp begins the following season.

3) Both Manu and Tony have already had far more successful NBA careers than we could've possibly dreamed when they were drafted and both have already earned every penny of their current deals and then some. For them to have honor their homelands where they learned how to play the game by representing their countries and wearing their colors is something we should be proud of them for, not angry about. It shows they have their hearts in the right place.

polandprzem
04-15-2009, 01:40 AM

STFU already

Josepatches_
04-15-2009, 02:04 AM
first i'm french, so fuck you too :toast.
and he hasn't won anything with the french NT, so you can understand why it's important for him to play.

It will be very important forever because you are not going to win anything. :lol

I guess it's very important to play with the french NT for TP and i accept it.But if they are able to qualifying to the Eurobasket 2009 TP would play again in September in the Eurobasket so it would be a very very long summer for TP after a long season with a lot of minutes
I only hope they can't be able to win in this tournament so they can't be in the Eurobasket.

Sorry for french people but I hope you lose in the qualifying tournament

Here in Spain,Pau is not going to play this summer because he want to rest.Spain is going to be in the Eurobasket without qualifying because we finished 2nd in the last tournament so even he would have a lot of more rest than TP.I guess Pau won enough with Spain last years :toast

polandprzem
04-15-2009, 02:18 AM
I need Tony to visit Poland!

Josepatches_
04-15-2009, 02:22 AM

Well,that's not true.

Eurobasket is the 3rd national team tournament of the world by relevance.I would say is tougher than World championship or the Olympics.If you take out USA and Argentina it's obvious Euro NT are the best so it's difficult to win it.

France or Italy weren't in the Olympics.
Australia,Iran or Angola aren't better.

Finland,Belgium or Portugal aren't in the Eurobasket.They have to qualifying to be there.

Josepatches_
04-15-2009, 02:31 AM

Maybe you want to say Turkey.

Greece is in Europe

romain.star
04-15-2009, 02:56 AM
Maybe you want to say Turkey.

Greece is in Europe

no one knows where the European continent geographically ends (the EU is just a political entity)

romain.star
04-15-2009, 03:00 AM
I need Tony to visit Poland!

hey, i got a question for you: where is the best place to party in Poland?

mathbzh
04-15-2009, 03:17 AM
I would have no problem with American Spurs fans asking Tony and Manu not to play for their NT, if I didn't hear those "Redeem Team" things the whole last summer.

polandprzem
04-15-2009, 03:23 AM
hey, i got a question for you: where is the best place to party in Poland?

Which city you will be in?

I may do a research in Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk :)

I think in big cities it really does not matter much. I recomand you Tricities (Gdansk Gdynia Sopot) because I live close to it :D

raspsa
04-15-2009, 03:28 AM
I think Parker is just being a good ambassador of basketball. He's giving something back to his country. Definitely he's not doing it for the money. If he was selfish, he'd beg off from playing. So long as he's healthy before going into competition, more power to him.

romain.star
04-15-2009, 04:04 AM
Which city you will be in?

I may do a research in Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk :)

I think in big cities it really does not matter much. I recomand you Tricities (Gdansk Gdynia Sopot) because I live close to it :D

ok... too bad i didn't heard about Tricities before... we'll be in Krakow.
i heard it was a great city despite being invaded by drunk British lads during weekends

polandprzem
04-15-2009, 05:21 AM
i heard it was a great city despite being invaded by drunk British lads during weekends

Krakow is realy great when it comes to architecture and climate :tu
It will be a bit corwded in summertime, but I think it's good. maybe you will be lucky to catch some events which are held over the summer in that city.

Drunk lads are everywhere. In tricities you've gt many scadinavians who can't drink much in their country so they are coming to poland when they can put some alcohol into their bodies. Well they treat their bodies with sex as well...

temujin
04-15-2009, 05:28 AM
Three thoughts about it.

0) Ginobili got hurt playing for the Spurs last year. He got hurt playing for the Spurs this year. THERE IS actually NO medical entity known as "stress reaction to fibula". There is stress FRACTURE, which might have been EVENTUALLY diagnosed correctly. I stress might.

1) Parker will likely have the whole month of May to rest, unlike previous seasons. I stress likely.

2) Some american fans seem to be be incapable to even conceive the vague idea that someone might actually be doing something NOT for the money. I stress SOME.

romain.star
04-15-2009, 05:42 AM
Krakow is realy great when it comes to architecture and climate :tu
It will be a bit corwded in summertime, but I think it's good. maybe you will be lucky to catch some events which are held over the summer in that city.

Drunk lads are everywhere. In tricities you've gt many scadinavians who can't drink much in their country so they are coming to poland when they can put some alcohol into their bodies. Well they treat their bodies with sex as well...

believe me, a drunk Brit is 10 time worst than a drunk Scandinavian !

anyway thanks for the feedback, let's just hope the sun will be there for my first time in Poland... :toast

manufor3
04-15-2009, 06:52 AM
im going with timvp. i see the other side of the arguement though. He can give back to his country in the olympics. not in every single pointless tournament in every summer

mathbzh
04-15-2009, 06:56 AM
im going with timvp. i see the other side of the arguement though. He can give back to his country in the olympics. not in every single pointless tournament in every summer

To go to the Olympics you need to play these "pointless tournament".

manufor3
04-15-2009, 06:58 AM
To go to the Olympics you need to play these "pointless tournament".

well then just rest him during the tournament, i dont want tony to get worn out. Unless you dont want another :lobt2:

Josepatches_
04-15-2009, 07:16 AM
well then just rest him during the tournament, i dont want tony to get worn out. Unless you dont want another :lobt2:

To qualifying for the Eurobasket they need Tony in this tournament.Even with him in the roster it will not be easy for them to be in Poland in September.

If TP wants to play he has to play.It's his life,not mine or yours.

If he's happy playing with France then it's his problem.The Spurs could deny him to play but I don't think they want to have an unhappy TP in the team.

Right now It could be more important for him to win something with France than with the Spurs.He has 3 NBA tittles.

Like i said before I hope they can't be able to qualifying for the Eurobasket so he doesn't have to play in September too but I'm not angry with TP because he wants to play for his country.
I would like he doesn't play but I accept it.That's what we have to think.He's not our slave.

Robert Mruczek
04-15-2009, 07:27 AM
Who knows why you're xenophobic? Bad parenting would be my guess. Also, you were raised in an environment that didn't emphasize spelling and grammar. But you have taken numerous shots at France and other countries both on this thread and many, many other ones. You're basically a typical Republican "God bless America and no one else" dipshit.

As for your stupid remarks in this inane thread, here's all the stuff you or anyone else has to understand

1) It is illegal for the Spurs or any other NBA team to put language in a contract forbidding a player to compete in international competitions. It is against the league's collective bargaining agreement. Sure, the front office could make suggestions to a player, maybe offer him advice on the subject, but they can't forbid it.

2) Millions of fans across this country criticize athletes for just being mercenaries and just caring about money. Manu knowingly risked his future contract and left a $20M+ extension on the table for the privilege of playing for his country. You can call him crazy or stupid, but don't call him selfish. He has his priorities and if they're not in line with yours, so be it. He's not your slave. You don't own his body from the day the Spurs' season ends to the day training camp begins the following season.

3) Both Manu and Tony have already had far more successful NBA careers than we could've possibly dreamed when they were drafted and both have already earned every penny of their current deals and then some. For them to have honor their homelands where they learned how to play the game by representing their countries and wearing their colors is something we should be proud of them for, not angry about. It shows they have their hearts in the right place.

You just don't see quality smack like this anymore on the www these days, good job! :tu

1Parker1
04-15-2009, 07:32 AM
Well, what's interesting is obviously Pop and the Spurs coaching staff ok'ed this, I'm surprised they did, given what they know about the FT schedule and what happened with Manu so recently.

spursfan09
04-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Well, what's interesting is obviously Pop and the Spurs coaching staff ok'ed this, I'm surprised they did, given what they know about the FT schedule and what happened with Manu so recently.

Well the Spurs can't tell him no, so for all we know they were asking him to reconsider this.

sonic21
04-15-2009, 08:57 AM
pop said last summer he was ok with tony playing for a few years for the french team.
But with all the injuries this year, tony had to carry the spurs, so i think he's not too happy about it now.

it's me
04-15-2009, 09:08 AM

Wow…. After 9 pages….you got the prize….

Congratulation EricB/Tpark it’s an honor to recognize you as the biggest clown this thread ever had… now answering your comments,…

Americans are generally good people (there are some exemptions of course … you for example) are Americans sometimes selfish…yes you guys are …. it’s my personal opinion…
Now… I’m not from France but I respect them as I respect the US. They have their defects.. but you obviously went to far on your comments on that great Nation.

Now… Question to Kori and LJ … howcome this person is allowed to insult so openly a country and everybody he wants to insult??? I’ve seen people get banned or pinked for less.

Kermit
04-15-2009, 09:30 AM

Congratulation EricB/Tpark it’s an honor to recognize you as the biggest clown this thread ever had… now answering your comments,…

Americans are generally good people (there are some exemptions of course … you for example) are Americans sometimes selfish…yes you guys are …. it’s my personal opinion…
Now… I’m not from France but I respect them as I respect the US. They have their defects.. but you obviously went to far on your comments on that great Nation.

Now… Question to Kori and LJ … howcome this person is allowed to insult so openly a country and everybody he wants to insult??? I’ve seen people get banned or pinked for less.

Because if they pink him, he'll eat up the entire food supply in San Antonio. It would be a catastrophe the likes of which the city has never seen. Better to let him post than to see the jelly doughnut business dry up.

ForeignFan
04-15-2009, 09:40 AM

We understand it just fine. We still think it's bullshit though. Have a nice day.

Have a nice day too. What you, EricB and all those who do not give a shit about what happens beyond your doormat is irrelevant anyway. That is TP's choice (or Manu's) and there is nothing you can do about it. And everybody has the right to disagree but the words used by EricB are not only uncalled for but plainly shocking.

Bukefal
04-15-2009, 10:18 AM

Nice, i'll be in Poznan to watch my country take on GReece :king
I hope france manages to qualify, i would love to see them playing.

France B-boy
04-15-2009, 11:19 AM

Congratulation EricB/Tpark it’s an honor to recognize you as the biggest clown this thread ever had…

bdictjames
04-15-2009, 11:29 AM
I think Tony just wants to bring basketball pride to his country. What has France won in basketball?

sonic21
04-15-2009, 11:38 AM
I think Tony just wants to bring basketball pride to his country. What has France won in basketball?

they won a silver medal in the 2000 olympics and a bronze medal in the 2005 eurobasket. and that's it.

bobbybob0
04-15-2009, 11:39 AM
What has France won in basketball?

2001 Women Basketball European Championship.

Yes, French NT sucks. :toast

DAF86
04-15-2009, 11:48 AM

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv104/COCHIfz/ownage1.jpg

Pauleta14
04-15-2009, 01:50 PM
One thing about Tony is that although he has played professional BB or so many years at such a young age, I think he has been VERY smart at "managing" his body all these years...
For example, playing so early with veterans teach him that only PO really matters, that's why he NEVER gives 100% in defence during regular season (whitch often leads to "spurstalk bashing"!lol)...
If you look at his averages min played since he came, the max is 34min! (whitch is ALWAYS the fewer among starting PG or even gards in the nba!)
Although one of his strengh is his speed, he never specialy worked on it, and doesn't have an atletic body (he hates training and all the physical stuff...), whitch leads to less muscular problems...
We/he often complains that he doesn't get enough FT,obviously it"s because he doesn't ge enough repect from the refs, but it's also because he avoids contact with the bigs and knows how to fall...
Finaly, for those who know him from th begning, you see that he is "on a mission", I mean he is the consumate professional BB player, he knows what it takes to get what he wants, meaning he doesn't drink or party to much...

All that to say that I'm very confident in the fact that he has at least 7 or 8 years left at elite level...

Manu is more a "cape diem" type of player, he gives all he has EVERYTIME, he never "saves" his body...that's what we love in him and why he has(had?lol) such a career!

Anyway, go Tony, hope you qualify us (I'm french) this summer!

Go France Go !!
Go Spurs Go !!

Laker Lanny
04-15-2009, 01:55 PM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/iii.jpg

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-15-2009, 01:56 PM
er son

Parker - finals mvp, starting PG for 3 nba championship

Batum - Starting SF for championship contender. Jordan said he is a young pippen

Diaw- former MIP. Starting PF for a playoff contender

Turiaff- former backup center for a final team

Noah- starting center for a playoff team, getting better and better although he is ugly like shit.

pietrus- starter for a championshp contender before injury

Which is not good enough team to win a medal in Eurobasket.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-15-2009, 01:57 PM

And so Team USA will never play Olympics with NBA players. Dumbass.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-15-2009, 01:59 PM
I agree with timvp, in that if it's for Olympic play that's one thing, but for "World Championships" that's becoming a bit much.

It is a qualifier to Euro championship not World championship. And how the fuck can France play in Olympics without qualifying?

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-15-2009, 02:04 PM

They cannot qualify for fucking Olympics without playing Eurobasket. How stupid are people here? And Eurobasket is very close or even equal to level of Olympics. American NBA fans really sound like arrogant dicks in this thread.

Tully365
04-15-2009, 02:05 PM
all for a good for nothing country no one gives a shit about.

How respectful of you Eric... I wonder how Tony Parker himself would feel reading your post?

Obviously, you hate the country of France, but it is beyond childish to think that everyone in the world and throughout history would agree with you. I could start with Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, and George Washington, who were all great admirers of the French.... many of Jefferson's views about freedom are directly derived from the French philosopers that he loved so much.

You are clearly a perfect example of a stupid & obsessed American sports fan who has no clarity and understanding about the world. The fact that Tony-- the guy that your last username (TPark!) paid homage to-- decides to play for his country leads you not only to criticize the decision but to then declare that an entire country and population of people is good for nothing just shows how small-minded you are.

With just one post, you've insulted Tony Parker more than all of the other Parker-haters on spurstalk combined. Congratulations on that.

Agloco
04-15-2009, 02:32 PM
This takes us to the last viewpoint, the fan perspective. Now, to address this part you need to know what players your team is made of. Is it made of a bunch of self centered pricks that will prioritize the quick buck over glory? Or is it made of a bunch of guys that are willing to leave money on the table in order to have a shot at glory?
The current Spurs are made of the second kind of players, and that fabric is what makes the Spurs the team it is. Which is the same fabric that makes these same players want to go for glory at every chance they get.

So I trust that this means you're ok with the product you're about to see in these 2009 playoffs right? Your argument would seem to indicate that a players personal agenda is first and foremost and the teams needs come in a distant second.

How do you reconcile your want to see "number five" this year with Manus "quest for glory" as you put it? You can't possibly argue that engaging in this type of reckless behavior is beneficial for your San Antonio Spurs in any shape form or fashion.

There is such a thing as being hungry to a fault. Years are being shaved off of Manus career as a result of this. Truly a shame to see.

Be in it to win it sure. But make sure it's what you're being paid to win.......

Manu on Fire
04-15-2009, 02:37 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0clI8WAbXs3ws/340x.jpg<------------------:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol How embarassing! :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

french bread
04-15-2009, 02:40 PM
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv104/COCHIfz/ownage1.jpg

:tu

french bread
04-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Who is Tpark?

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/park-money.jpg

it's me
04-15-2009, 03:05 PM
We should start a poll after the massive EricB/Tpark ownage.

1-Will EricB/Tpark get a third screen name?
2-Did he (also) fail on trying to improve his reputation by changing his screen name?
3-Does he already have numerous screen names?
4-All of the above.

unibrow
04-15-2009, 03:12 PM
We should start a poll after the massive EricB/Tpark ownage.

1-Will EricB/Tpark get a third screen name?
2-Did he (also) fail on trying to improve his reputation by changing his screen name?
3-Does he already have numerous screen names?
4-All of the above.

It will be hard for him to top his last stunt!
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20020

polandprzem
04-15-2009, 03:21 PM
haha no matter the username you are the same dick you've been

Jeez you thought you will be a diferent person changing the name?
wtf

Changing name to let's say ... Chis Angel won't make you a magician

“bright and shiny”
04-15-2009, 03:31 PM

wtf

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/RTM-3/ownage1.jpg

ElNono
04-15-2009, 05:10 PM
So I trust that this means you're ok with the product you're about to see in these 2009 playoffs right? Your argument would seem to indicate that a players personal agenda is first and foremost and the teams needs come in a distant second.

Did you actually read the post you quoted in it's entirety? The team benefits monetarily from the players playing in their respective national teams. The player personal agenda is perfectly aligned with the teams. If it wouldn't be, the NBA wouldn't have signed an agreement with FIBA to start with.
Are there risks involved? Sure. But it's obvious that those risks were contemplated and that overall the positives outweighed the negatives.
Second of all, I'm absolutely at peace with the product we're going to see, because it's the only product we have. I was OK with the product that played the 2006 playoffs too, with Duncan in one leg with planar fasciitis. I don't quit on my team when they're down. I support them all the way to the end.

How do you reconcile your want to see "number five" this year with Manus "quest for glory" as you put it? You can't possibly argue that engaging in this type of reckless behavior is beneficial for your San Antonio Spurs in any shape form or fashion.

What reckless behavior? He got his last injury playing for the Spurs, not running motorboats. And I don't see how you couldn't reconcile his hunger with winning number five, considering he plays balls out every single time he dons the #20 silver and black. Shit, are you really going to question his heart and commitment towards the Spurs?

There is such a thing as being hungry to a fault. Years are being shaved off of Manus career as a result of this. Truly a shame to see.

What is 'this'? An injury? It happens to everybody. Man up and deal with it.

Be in it to win it sure. But make sure it's what you're being paid to win.......

Wrong, again. Manu played for the Spurs all last season and earned his salary. He didn't get paid NOT TO play in the summer. And the Spurs got every cent back for the games he missed due to the injury in the Olympics.
This current injury has nothing to do with the Olympics, as stated by Manu himself after he asked the Spurs medical staff.
And before you argue otherwise, I want to see factual evidence to the contrary. I'll be waiting.

it's me
04-16-2009, 10:34 AM

wtf

so ... so far option 4..

benefactor
11-18-2009, 09:26 PM
...and we are only 8 games in.

:depressed