PDA

View Full Version : Isiah Thomas Accepts University Coaching Post

duncan228
04-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Thomas accepts university coaching post (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=afp-basketusacollegenbathomas&prov=afp&type=lgns)

Onetime National Basketball Association great Isiah Thomas, whose stint as a coach and executive with the New York Knicks was plagued by problems, will return to coaching at Florida International University.

"We are very excited to have such a legendary athlete and proven winner in Isiah Thomas to lead our men's basketball program," Florida International athletic director Pete Garcia said.

Related:

Thomas won’t find soft landing in college (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-isiahfiu041409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Adrian Wojnarowski

DPG21920
04-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Who did he force to sleep with him to get that job?

timvp
04-14-2009, 06:42 PM
I wonder if Raja Bell approves.

JamStone
04-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Isiah is a disaster. But, I won't knock someone for taking a job and working.

The people at Florida International on the other hand... what the hell are they thinking? I guess their program must really be down the toilet.

Indazone
04-14-2009, 07:43 PM
FIT yes a perennial basketball power lol.

Isiah was the best they could do. They were made for each other. Mediocrity meet Mr. Mediocrity.

jack sommerset
04-14-2009, 07:47 PM
I give the guy props for going into coaching again. Don't know if it will work out for him. I figured a few years down the road he would do tv as a sports commentator after all the shit blew over.

Udokafan05
04-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Being a college coach is about recruiting and evaluating players. He is probably the worst GM in NBA history. I believe it was his descision to overpay jerome james after a mediocre series vs spurs. He is not a good evaluator of talent, and a below .500 coach. This can not end well.

E20
04-14-2009, 11:06 PM
what kind of dumbshit university would hire this failure as a coach

JamStone
04-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Being a college coach is about recruiting and evaluating players. He is probably the worst GM in NBA history. I believe it was his descision to overpay jerome james after a mediocre series vs spurs. He is not a good evaluator of talent, and a below .500 coach. This can not end well.

Isiah could not find the right role players. But, I wouldn't say he's not a good evaluator of talent. I think he's actually a pretty good evaluator of talent. His drafts have been for the most part pretty good. Constructing a team and choosing the right pieces to build that team is where he really failed, among other areas. But, he definitely has an eye for talent.

Isiah is a poor coach, but he may be able to recruit.

Spur-Addict
04-14-2009, 11:13 PM
what kind of dumbshit university would hire this failure as a coach

A University trying to up their recruiting and spotlight levels.

Indazone
04-14-2009, 11:15 PM
Isiah could not find the right role players. But, I wouldn't say he's not a good evaluator of talent. I think he's actually a pretty good evaluator of talent. His drafts have been for the most part pretty good. Constructing a team and choosing the right pieces to build that team is where he really failed, among other areas. But, he definitely has an eye for talent.

Isiah is a poor coach, but he may be able to recruit.

Yep, great decison making in deciding to pair Marbury up with Franchise. Wouldn't listen to any of the pundits and look what happened. :rolleyes

JamStone
04-14-2009, 11:57 PM
Yep, great decison making in deciding to pair Marbury up with Franchise. Wouldn't listen to any of the pundits and look what happened. :rolleyes

Ok? What's your point?

adidas11
04-15-2009, 12:24 AM

Again, even though that didn't work, both Marbury and Franchise are/were considered talented players. True, just having talented players doesn't work on the pro level, but on the college level it is more than enough to compete.

In college, you have to be able to recruit, and pull in talent. That is 90% of the battle right there.

And Thomas does have an eye for talent. Especially with the work he did in Toronto. Damon Stoudamire won Rookie Of The Year, and Marcus Camby has been a staple in the NBA as a strong defensive player.

This is also a win for Florida International. They're in the Sunbelt conference (I think), so its not like they're going to be winning the NCAA title or anything. But any attention the school can get, plus drawing in an upgraded talent level, can only be a plus. If Thomas doesn't work out down there, then so what? They suck anyhow!

baseline bum
04-15-2009, 01:25 AM
And Thomas does have an eye for talent. Especially with the work he did in Toronto. Damon Stoudamire won Rookie Of The Year, and Marcus Camby has been a staple in the NBA as a strong defensive player.

+ McGrady out of HS with the #9 pick.