PDA

View Full Version : Ferrell (E-N): You Got Schooled: Good grief: Spurs Fans Still Healing

duncan228
04-15-2009, 01:16 AM
You Got Schooled: Good grief: Spurs fans still healing (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/You_Got_Schooled_Good_grief_Spurs_fans_still_heali ng.html)
Chris Ferrell - Express-News commentary

It's been just over a week since Manu Ginobili's ankle gave out, ending his season and most likely ending any realistic chance the Spurs had for winning a fifth NBA championship.

That's when the depression set in across the city for Spurs fans who were still holding out hope.

As the Spurs prepare for their regular-season finale tonight against the New Orleans Hornets at the AT&T Center, there are still plenty of unanswered questions about their playoff future. But at least fans have been able to come to grips with the fact that it probably won't extend into June this year.

Using the five stages of grief introduced by psychiatrist Elisabeth Kübler-Ross in 1969, here's a look at what the past week has probably been like for many of the city's passionate fans:

1. Denial

“This can't be happening to me!”

Manu will be fine. He's from Argentina. It's a soccer culture. Those guys fall to the ground like pirates getting picked off by Navy snipers and get carted off on a stretcher all the time ... then they're back on the field scoring a goal two minutes later. That's all this is, right?

2. Anger

“How can this happen to me? It's not fair!”

Forget trying to stop Kobe and reaching the NBA Finals, the Spurs might not even be able to overtake the Rockets in the Southwest Division. The Rockets? Seriously? Why do you punish us by taking away Manu and help them by taking away T-Mac? It's not fair!

If I hadn't already taken the Spurs flag off my car and pulled down the “Go Spurs Go” sign hanging in my cubicle at work because they didn't win a title in 2008, I definitely would do it now.

3. Bargaining

“I'll do anything for a few more years”

This can't be ending. We were supposed to have a few more years of Big Three dominance. Tony is just hitting his prime and Tim is still one of the best low-post defenders in the NBA. And we've got Gregg Popovich. Please let them find a way.

I'll give up enchiladas.

OK, maybe I won't give up enchiladas, but it would be great to see the Spurs pull it together for another run at a championship this year.

4. Depression

“I'm so sad, why bother with anything? What's the point?”

Did you see what the Blazers did to the Spurs? How can you blow a 19-point lead at home against the team you'll probably meet in the first round of the playoffs?

I just want to lie down in a dark room and listen to Radio Head music. Sitting on the patio at Chris Madrids with a tostada burger and a margarita doesn't even sound good right now.

Maybe I'll get on YouTube later and watch clips of the Memorial Day Miracle over and over again, if I can find the energy. And I probably need to bite the bullet and shower. It's been a few days, and my head is starting to itch.

5. Acceptance

“I can't fight it, I may as well prepare for it.”

The Spurs have won four of five since Ginobili was shut down, and still have a shot at the three seed. Maybe Michael Finley's game-winner against the Kings was a sign of good things to come. Sometimes the refs just miss calls for teams destined to reach the Finals. Ask Derek Fisher.

But realistically, there's probably no point in clearing space for another banner this year. Maybe they can at least get to the second round.

Even if it's not the Spurs' year, things could be worse. Imagine being a Mavericks fan.

freemeat
04-15-2009, 01:23 AM
Even if it's not the Spurs' year, things could be worse. Imagine being a Mavericks fan.

:toast

Indeed...that would suck being a Mavs or Suns fan.

braeden0613
04-15-2009, 01:26 AM
Am I the only one that wants to burn down newspaper stands when I read articles like this?

Spursfan092120
04-15-2009, 01:27 AM
Am I the only one that wants to burn down newspaper stands when I read articles like this?
no..you're not...and who's this d-bag who wrote it?

TheSpursFNRule
04-15-2009, 01:29 AM
the guy who wrote this is an asshole with a terrible writing style.

Halberto
04-15-2009, 02:46 AM
Best closing statement ever

Manu-of-steel
04-15-2009, 08:09 AM
stages of grief- by elizabeth kuhbler-ross.

MoSpur
04-15-2009, 08:34 AM
I went through #1 and then straight to #5.

Nathan Explosion
04-15-2009, 01:43 PM
If I hadn't already taken the Spurs flag off my car and pulled down the “Go Spurs Go” sign hanging in my cubicle at work because they didn't win a title in 2008, I definitely would do it now.

This is definitely Spurs fan these days.

Spur|n|Austin
04-15-2009, 01:46 PM
no..you're not...and who's this d-bag who wrote it?

You said it, a d-bag; what a waste of my time that was..

angel_luv
04-15-2009, 01:50 PM
2. Anger

“How can this happen to me? It's not fair!”

Forget trying to stop Kobe and reaching the NBA Finals, the Spurs might not even be able to overtake the Rockets in the Southwest Division. The Rockets? Seriously? Why do you punish us by taking away Manu and help them by taking away T-Mac? It's not fair!

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Thank God I was not drinking soda when I read this. The soda would have been all over my screen! hahaha

Chris
04-15-2009, 01:55 PM

This is definitely Spurs fan these days.

Fairweather fans equal fairweather reporters.

Oh, Gee!!
04-15-2009, 02:15 PM
:toast

Indeed...that would suck being a Mavs or Suns fan.

actually, the mavs are pretty hot right now