PDA

View Full Version : Rockets are Ready for Season Finale

Indazone
04-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Rockets Ready For Regular Season Finale

Houston one win away from first division title since '94

http://www.nba.com/media/rockets/content_preview0415.jpg

Von Wafer's production off the bench has given the Rockets a major lift.

Jason Friedman
Rockets.com Staff Writer
Dallas -The NBA head office sent out a memo Tuesday morning listing all the potential playoff scenarios still in play heading into the regular season’s final two days. Some immediately went to work pouring over every detail in a valiant attempt to commit each and every possible outcome to memory. Others skipped that rigorous step, opting instead to simply print it off as a handy reference tool for dealing with the particularly tricky playoff questions destined to come their way.
Shane Battier, however, took a different approach.

“I got the same sheet,” he said. “I’m going to go home and have a paper airplane fight with my wife – that’s what I’m going to do with that piece of paper because it means nothing to us. We’ve got to go to Dallas, we’ve got to play well and we’ve got to win.”

For the Rockets, it really is that simple. They’re cognizant of the fact they have little to no control over whom they’ll be matched up with in the first round of the playoffs. Houston enters the final day of the regular season with the knowledge that every Western Conference playoff team save Los Angeles, Denver and Utah remains a potential first round foe. So the Rockets’ mindset is simple: Take care of your own business and forget about everything else.

“Why even worry about (potential match-ups) because you can’t control it,” said a relaxed Coach Rick Adelman after Tuesday’s practice. “I think it’d be great if we played Sacramento – that would be the match-up that would be looking good right now.

“I’m not thinking about avoiding anybody. The only thing we can do is win, and if we win we’re going to be in pretty good shape.”
Of course, whenever the “avoidance” question is posed in Houston, it’s never anything more than a thinly veiled reference to the Rockets’ presumed preference to dodge a first round pairing with Utah – the team which knocked Houston out of the playoffs the last two years.
But not only do Rockets players and coaches find that idea laughable, it’s also no longer even a concern. With Utah losing to the Lakers Tuesday night, the Jazz are now locked-in to a first round match-up with mighty L.A. Still, Adelman emphasized that his club would possess no trepidation whatsoever toward the prospect of another meeting with the Jazz if their respective paths were to cross once more.

“I guess people don’t think we can beat Utah, but I do,” said Adelman, with just a trace of confident defiance in his voice. “We don’t have that same team. Everybody keeps talking about the last couple times (Utah and Houston have met in the playoffs). Last year we didn’t have Yao, the year before I wasn’t here. This team is going to make its own history good or bad. That’s the way I look at it.”

That history will begin to take shape following the Rockets Wednesday night showdown in Dallas. Beat the Mavericks, and Houston lays claim to not only the Southwest Division title but also the home-court advantage which comes with it. And though home-court offers no guarantees of playoff gratification, it does bode very well for the team which wields its power; especially in the first round. Since the NBA went to a best-of-seven format in the opening round, Western Conference teams holding home-court advantage have been dominant, winning 20 of 24 first round series in that span.

“We’ve had home-court the last two years and it hasn’t done us much good, but historically if you have home-court it’s an advantage,” said Battier. “I think our team has become a great home team this year and it would be good for us to open up here. But in the playoffs you have to win; it doesn’t matter if it’s here or on the road, you have to win and play well.”

Another point to ponder: Having home-court is about far more than simply playing in front of your own fans – it also factors into both teams’ preparation.

“We’re going to have to wait until early Thursday morning to really know who we’re going to play,” explained Adelman. “The way this is set up now depending on what the league decides, if you play on the road and you have to play Saturday, that’s tough – that really puts you at a disadvantage. That’s another reason why you want to (win). We know if we win tonight we’re going to have home court advantage which means, whether we play Saturday or not, we’re going to be home and able to cover everything. That’s the big advantage.”

So get your cheat sheets (or paper airplanes) ready - it promises to be a wild Wednesday in the Western Conference. But the best news of all: In less than 24 hours all the speculation will be over and the match-ups will be set.

The playoffs are almost here. Finally.

And 1’s: The Cinderella story known as Von Wafer’s 2008-09 campaign continues to grow, as the Rockets super-sub has lifted his game to new heights over the last few weeks. Wafer has scored in double figures in six of his last eight games while shooting 50 percent or better in all but one of those contests. The increased consistency and improved decision-making which have led to those numbers has not gone unnoticed by his teammates.

“Von Wafer is the guy,” said Yao Ming. “I don’t know where he played last year, but he’s really given this team a big help. When you’re in the playoffs, we’ll continue to need those bench players coming on strong to give us energy. Most of our guys from the bench have [I]great energy – they are very important for us.

“I feel he is like that (Energizer Battery) commercial. He is like that rabbit. At the beginning of the season he does surprise me. In training camp we made the decision to keep either him or Strawberry. I thought (Wafer) was a great shooter – I knew he could shoot threes – but I didn’t know too much (else) about him. But he gives us more penetration and right now he’s a good passer, too. He still has a couple parts to improve like defense, but I didn’t even know who he was last year. So that’s a big surprise for me and I appreciate having him as a teammate.”

Added Battier: “Von’s had a tremendous year. For a guy who barely made the roster back in October, he’s been a great surprise and that’s to Von’s credit. He really worked hard and has given us a boost, and made himself into a nice little player. He’s got a long ways to go. He still makes a lot of mistakes but he makes up for his mistakes with his effort and he should be commended for that. And that’s a lesson that more young players need to learn.”

As previously mentioned, the Rockets were steadfast in their stance that they were unconcerned by the prospect of a third consecutive first round match-up with Utah. However, it’s safe to say Shane Battier isn’t shedding any tears over the fact that it appears his club won’t be making any more trips to Salt Lake City this season. Before Utah’s fate was sealed Tuesday night, Battier jokingly provided a glimpse into his true feelings.

“I’ve already told the guys and the coaches and (General Manager) Daryl (Morey); everybody knows that if we play Utah I’m not going,” said Battier, punctuating the joke with his trademark baritone guffaw. “I’ll play the home games, but I’m not getting on that plane, I’m sorry. I’ve spent too much of my life in Salt Lake City. I want to see some other cities in the world.

“I love Salt Lake. It’s a beautiful place, it’s just I want something new in my NBA experience.”

Hours later, his wish was granted.