PDA

View Full Version : Need A Little Advice

remingtonbo2001
04-15-2009, 09:54 AM
I just found out that I have a slight leak coming from a freeze plug on my GMC Sierra.

I prefer to get this matter resolved quickly, but at a reasonable price. Does anyone know a ballpark figure for replacement, and about how much time it would take? Also, any recommendations of automotive repair shops around the San Antonio area.

Right now I'm considering O'Briens Automotive, since they did the intial diagnostic on my vehicle when I purchased it. Their labor runs $75/hour. Is that a bit much these days, or about right?

Any advice on the issue would be great. Thanks! :)

BacktoBasics
04-15-2009, 09:59 AM
It depends on how easy it is to access the plug. Could run in the 500-600 range. If you can get it taken care of for less than 300 I'd feel pretty good about that. Most shops shoot for the 250 a job mark so I wouldn't expect much less than that.

ashbeeigh
04-15-2009, 10:02 AM
See what the Meineke across from Hart Ranch has to say too. I love those guys. They do all my work. I don't know how much it's going to be. Just a suggestion on where to go. They're reasonable and very quick.

They main guy's name is Preston I think. He's a chubby white guy. This also reminds me I need an oil change soon.

remingtonbo2001
04-15-2009, 10:07 AM
The thing is only one needs to be replaced. However, I might as well replace all of them to prevent this issue from occuring again, since it's likely that another leak will eventually occur in another plug.

Thanks for the advice B2B.

remingtonbo2001
04-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks Ashbeeigh!

I Love Me Some Me
04-15-2009, 10:11 AM
https://www.mightyputty.com/flare/next?tag=os|af

remingtonbo2001
04-15-2009, 12:47 PM
https://www.mightyputty.com/flare/next?tag=os|af

I read on another site that using something like Mighty Putty might work. I don't want to do anything shotty, but this really isn't a huge investment, whereas new freeze plugs would be.

I'll have to look into it.

Thanks!

BacktoBasics
04-15-2009, 01:19 PM
If you pop a cap and don't know about it right away you run the risk of seizing the motor due to overheating. The putty is a quick fix if you're willing to check on it regularly. I'd personally find a decent mechanic to do the job right and warranty the work.

Frenzy
04-15-2009, 01:30 PM
everyone needs a good mechanic..that's like a good friend.You know the kind of friend a girl keeps around and the friend is the nice guy hoping one day to get in the pants. The friend will do nice things be nice and just want an occasional roll in the hay for his services.(maybe when u drunk and passed out) As in like a good mechanic....he'll give u good prices and do good jobs and just screw you just once in a while....with out you even knowing it.

Horn Tooter
04-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Ask for John the mechanic at land stabilizers he charged me 90 dollars to replace my water pump and that was parts and labor.

If not go to one of those quickie oil change shops ask for change of antifreeze for the radiator. go back the next day and show them the leak they will fix it for free.

PM5K
04-15-2009, 01:55 PM
I know a guy that charges 40.00 an hour labor and he'll charge you by the book.

He lives near IH-10 and De Zavala and he gets pretty busy.

ashbeeigh
04-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Ask for John the mechanic at land stabilizers he charged me 90 dollars to replace my water pump and that was parts and labor.

If not go to one of those quickie oil change shops ask for change of antifreeze for the radiator. go back the next day and show them the leak they will fix it for free.

Where were you when I had problems with the water pump?