PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Sloan: Not Too Confindant

TheMACHINE
04-15-2009, 11:52 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-heisler-lakers15-2009apr15,0,4694678,full.column

Jerry Sloan not sounding very confident

Mark Heisler
April 15, 2009
See you Sunday.

Assuming the Lakers open the playoffs that day -- a safe bet since Sunday is also known in the league office as "Lakers vs. Whomever on ABC!" -- we know who they're playing.

Lakers' Derek Fisher isn't worried about shooting slump
For Lakers, no harm, just fouls this time
Passing up a chance to avoid the Jazz in the first round by losing, the Lakers instead dialed U for Utah, leading by as many as 21 points Tuesday, crushing the Jazz, 125-112, to lock in the matchup.

For the Jazz, it ended a nightmare finish in which it lost seven of its last nine -- including home games against Minnesota and Golden State -- dropping from No. 5 and a matchup with someone its own size, to No. 8 and the Lakers.

"We didn't give them much of a battle, knowing we have to play them again," said Utah Coach Jerry Sloan. "It looks pretty bleak. . . .

"They have a terrific team. They have guys who can pass the ball, do about anything you ask a team to do. They've got guys who can make big shots, who just know how to play the game, make the game look simple. . . .

"We're just like a little dent in the road, far as they're concerned. They're very comfortable playing against us and obviously should be."

Aside from the race for best overall record, which didn't seem as important once Boston fell off the pace, Tuesday night's game was the most meaningful one the Lakers had played since their win in Cleveland on Feb. 8.

Of course, the first question was, would they try?

Coach Phil Jackson held his usual pregame interview session, with the media asking -- delicately -- if he intended to tank, which came out as an inquiry into whether he was "concerned" about who they play in the first round.

"I don't play the game that way," said Jackson, dryly.

On the other hand, what would he have said if he did intend to lose, "Splish, splash, we're taking a bath?"

Teams actually do tank, just not ones anyone is paying attention to.

Five or so hit the brakes every spring, trying to enhance their chances in the lottery. In the case of the Clippers, Washington and Sacramento, all still seeking that elusive 20th win, they seem to have started jockeying for position at Thanksgiving.

In rare instances, good teams do it, like the 2006 stretch run when a seeding loophole gave the No. 5 Clippers an opportunity to play 44-38 Denver in the first round, rather than 60-22 Dallas, if they could drop beneath No. 6 Memphis.

Thus began a tank-off between Clippers Coach Mike Dunleavy and Grizzlies Coach Mike Fratello.

With a pivotal late-season meeting coming in Memphis, Dunleavy scored an important point, losing at home to a 34-win Seattle team with starters Chris Kaman and Cuttino Mobley sitting out.

Fratello struck back, putting his star, Pau Gasol, on the inactive list before the Clippers game with a sore foot.

The Clippers lost, anyway, 101-95. Fratello registered his protest by congratulating his players on their "professionalism."

Oh, and the Clippers went on to beat Denver, while Dallas swept the Grizzlies, 4-0.

So you can imagine the excitement as the starters were announced before Tuesday's game.

Would it be Gasol and Kobe Bryant?

Or Jordan Farmar and DJ Mbenga?

Or Sun Yue and four D-Fenders teammates?

Not that the Jazz ran and hid when the Lakers regulars came out. Utah led by seven points in the first half and wiped out a Lakers nine-point lead in the third quarter.

Then, the sky fell in on the Jazz.

A year ago, the Lakers went 12-3 in the West draw, with two of the losses against Utah, but they didn't have Andrew Bynum then.

"They're so much longer than we are, putting him on the floor really gives them a lot of length," said Sloan.

Is there any way you can play against him, he was asked.

"Yeah," said Sloan, grinning, "put him in a concrete stretcher. See if that makes our guys bigger."

And last spring's Jazz finished on a 38-12 run. This one finished 2-7, with last season's leading scorer, Carlos Boozer, struggling to return to form after a long absence.

"Some great players have been able to do that [return from injury]," said Sloan. "Our guys have struggled with it. . . .

"You have to fight a little bit harder. Sometimes you think you got to go a little bit easier. Everybody has a different approach, afraid they'll get hurt doing it.

"I always liked the Michel Jordan thing, he tried to come out and break his foot after he broke it once. And that pretty well tells you where you are."

Where they are is scheduled for a return trip back here this weekend. It's not all they wished for but it's all they've got.

[email protected]

baseline bum
04-15-2009, 11:54 AM
That series is going to be ugly. The refs will always hand the Jazz one game at the Delta Center, but LA's going to win at least three games of the series by 15+. LA in 5.

pauls931
04-15-2009, 01:13 PM
I watched their last game and Utah has nothing to counter Gasol with, the series is over before it started.

kamikazi_player
04-15-2009, 01:15 PM
After their last ass whoopin, i wouldn't be confident as well.

Sportstudi
04-15-2009, 01:16 PM
I watched their last game and Utah has nothing to counter Gasol with, the series is over before it started.

Yes, but I agree with baseline bum. The refs will hand the Jazz at least one game at the Delta Center. Thus the Lakers either in 5 or in 6.

BUMP
04-15-2009, 01:22 PM
RIP Utah

this will get ugly

2Cleva
04-15-2009, 01:36 PM
The word out of Utah is even better.

Lakers in 5

Somebody's got to start talking in us-against-the-world terms for the Jazz in the next couple of days before they open their first-round series against the Lakers. For the most part, their comments after Tuesday's loss were tinged with realism and resignation.

"We didn't give them much of battle," Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said, "and knowing that we're going to have to play them again, it looks pretty bleak. Hate to say that, but it's one of those things. But that's why it's an interesting game. We're going to have to play it."

"They're a terrific team," Sloan added. "They pass the ball, they do about everything you'd ask a team to do. They've got guys that can make big shots, guys that just know how to play basketball, make the game look simple."

I apologized before sharing the 3-47 all-time record of No. 8 seeds with Kyle Korver and he answered with no small amount of sarcasm: "I mean, No. 8 seeds are supposed to lose. That's why it's 1 vs. 8. But three teams did win. Someday there's going to be a fourth."

What gives Korver encouragement?

"I mean, we just got beat, so I'm not going to sit here and be like, 'We've got them.' It's not like we have that attitude," Korver said. "We know them well. We've played against them a lot now. I think the series last year will probably help us out for this year."

How much frustration is there in getting the Lakers since they had to be the team you wanted to avoid?

"Obviously, the Lakers are the best team in the West as of now," Korver said. "But we weren't trying to avoid anyone. Obviously, we'd rather play them some other time down the road, but you've got to play them some time, you might as well play them first."

The Jazz have been a No. 8 seed once before in their history, when they lost in four games to Sacramento in 2002. The only No. 8 seeds to deliver first-round upsets have been Golden State in 2007, New York in 1999 and Denver in 1994.

"We don't back down from any challenges," Carlos Boozer said. "We haven't all season. We're not going to back down when we play the Lakers in the first round."

I would be surprised to find anybody, even the hometown beat writer, picking the Jazz in this series. Their problems start with the Lakers' twin 7-footer, Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum, who combined to total 42 points and 13 rebounds in Tuesday's game.

The Lakers bench looks strong, anchored by Lamar Odom, who had 16 points in 19 minutes Tuesday. Sasha Vujacic hit a three-pointer and three other jumpers in the second quarter with Kobe Bryant in foul trouble.

In fact, the Lakers outscored the Jazz 22-15 to close the first half even as Bryant went to the bench for the final 8:11 after picking up his third personal, fouling Kyle Korver on a jumper. Bryant played only 37 seconds in the second quarter.

The Lakers scored 58 points in the paint and hit 8 of 13 three-pointers. They totaled 125 points on 55.8 percent shooting against the Jazz and did so with Kobe Bryant scoring just 16 points and playing only 26 minutes.

In other words, the Lakers look like the total package right now. If they can beat Boston and Cleveland on the road, you'd better believe they can come to EnergySolutions Arena and win at least once during this series.

It seems as if the Jazz are going to have to work just as hard not to get embarrassed as they are to try to win the series.

The Jazz probably will need even more from Deron Williams than the 25 points and 13 assists he had Tuesday. Williams did everything to try to shoulder the load for the Jazz, including a spectacular dunk down the lane in the third quarter.

"I'm going to have to from the start," Williams said when asked about taking over. "Just try to do it all." He didn't disagree when I tossed out 30 points and 15 assists as one target number for that.

The Lakers, however, seem well aware that containing Williams is their first priority. "Of course we have a bunch of capable guys [to guard Williams]," Bryant said. "He is a problem. He was a problem for us last year and he will be a problem for us in this series."

"They're going to drive the ball down into your throat with Williams and then get to the foul line," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said.

Nothing was confirmed, but it sounded as if the Lakers and Jazz would open Sunday in Los Angeles, followed by Game 2 on Tuesday. There was no word about the schedule for the games back in Utah the following weekend.

The Jazz were not thrilled, by the way, to have to play four games in five nights to finish the season, especially when they could have finished the season Wednesday just like everybody else in the league.

One question I have is just how many Lakers fans will be invading EnergySolutions. There's usually a solid third for a typical Lakers game. If Jazz fans don't buy tickets, I imagine those seats aren't going to go unsold.

Their numbers weren't terrible, but Carlos Boozer and Andrei Kirilenko continued to struggle Tuesday. Boozer was 5-for-11 with 16 points and nine rebounds while Kirilenko had 20 points but committed six turnovers.

Yet as the Lakers made their push in the second quarter, Boozer had a turnover, clanked a jumper and gave up deep post position to Pau Gasol for a layup. He missed another jumper as well as a layup and dunk as the Lakers went up 68-59 in the third.

Kirilenko, meanwhile, committed a questionable foul, putting Kobe Bryant on the line with 0.8 seconds left in the third. He also threw a lob out of bounds and missed a three-pointer as part of the Lakers' 10-0 run to open the fourth.

Williams' body language wasn't great in the second half. He was visibly frustrated after the Jazz got crossed up on their final play of the third quarter, with TNT getting a great shot of Williams' directing traffic.

Just in case anybody forgot, here are some of the staggering numbers from last year's series. The Lakers actually made more free throws (going 182-for-231) than the Jazz so much as attempted (138-for-172).

They averaged 110.3 points in the series thanks in no small part to the 38.5 free throws a game they attempted. Kobe Bryant got enough free points at the line for two monster games, going 80-for-96 in the series. Bryant averaged 33.2 points in the series.

You just know both Dallas and New Orleans are going to lose Wednesday, thus leaving the Jazz even more despondent. If you had to pick two losses that doomed them to this No. 8 seed, they would be Saturday's loss to a seven-man Golden State team and the triple-overtime March 14 loss at Miami in which they blew leads in the final minute of regulation and the first overtime and gave away a sure win.

If you wake up this morning and look at the standings, you will realize the Jazz went 1-20 this season on the road against teams that presently have winning records. Hard to argue they deserve much better than the No. 8 seed in that case. Same with their 3-18 record in the second game of back-to-backs, which is on par with the Washingtons, Memphises and Sacramentos of the NBA.

--Ross Siler

http://blogs.sltrib.com/jazz/

rascal
04-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Lakers in a sweep. Jazz stink

baseline bum
04-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Yes, but I agree with baseline bum. The refs will hand the Jazz at least one game at the Delta Center. Thus the Lakers either in 5 or in 6.

I don't think Utah is good enough to capitalize on getting handed the game by the refs twice, though I'm sure the zebras will make a valiant attempt. :lol

rascal
04-15-2009, 01:47 PM
I don't think Utah is good enough to capitalize on getting handed the game by the refs twice, though I'm sure the zebras will make a valiant attempt. :lol

The refs won't even be able to help Utah in this matchup.

The TroutBum
04-15-2009, 02:17 PM
Daughters, the refs won't help us. Too many black refs these days, and they HATE Utah. It's irritating, you know, all the tar babies taking over the league -- it's not what it once was, that's for sure. I miss the Larry Birds, and Pistol Pete's of yesteryear.

Morg1411
04-15-2009, 02:20 PM
It seems as if the Jazz are going to have to work just as hard not to get embarrassed as they are to try to win the series.

That pretty much sums up the coming series, I think.

Morg1411
04-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Daughters, the refs won't help us. Too many black refs these days, and they HATE Utah. It's irritating, you know, all the tar babies taking over the league -- it's not what it once was, that's for sure. I miss the Larry Birds, and Pistol Pete's of yesteryear.

Shut the fuck up. Your schtick is already old. Even a true racist would cringe at your posts, you sniveling fuckstick.

balli
04-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Shut the fuck up. Your schtick is already old.

Yeah? Well now the rest of the board knows how the fuck it feels... to have some lame ass shit thrown into your face over and over and over and over and over again. If Jazz fans weren't called racists literally, no joke, 200+ times a week on these boards you wouldn't be dealing with this right now.

The mavs fans started this shit as a routine months ago and it hasn't gotten old apparently. So Trout, I'd suggest you keep/amp it up until Kori or LJ put an end to it; from both sides.

BUMP
04-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Yeah? Well now the rest of the board knows how the fuck it feels... to have some lame ass shit thrown into your face over and over and over and over and over again. If Jazz fans weren't called racists literally, no joke, 200+ times a week on these boards you wouldn't be dealing with this right now.

The mavs fans started this shit as a routine months ago and it hasn't gotten old apparently. So Trout, I'd suggest you keep/amp it up until Kori or LJ put an end to it; from both sides.

did you types this or was did you make your slave do it?

Morg1411
04-15-2009, 03:20 PM

I agree that the racist shit needs to go, from both sides.

That being said, I still want Trout to shut the fuck up. I'm as white as they come, and his shit is just plain embarrassing.

BUMP
04-15-2009, 03:21 PM
oh i get it basketball and marijuana. two things the black fold are fond of.

hence, ballijuana, you mormons sure are clever and witty the black jokes:lol

TheMACHINE
04-15-2009, 04:23 PM
5 game sweep!

jack sommerset
04-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Sloan is playing possum. This team is going to give the lakers a hell of a series. I say 6-7 games and if the Jazz can steal the first or second game they will beat them.

sook
04-15-2009, 04:32 PM

I'm sure you have PLENTY to be pissed about, I mean...someobody made

fun of mormon whitejazz people on an internets message board so its

perfect fine by equating it with the racism blacks have gotten, personally, i

think its disgusting. Someone saying something to you over an internet

message board is nothing like centuries of slavery, abuse, lynchings, and

discrimination. I too made black jokes sometimes and one day I heard about

the story of emmett till. Boy who whistled at a white women and was

beaten to death beyond recognition and dumped in a lake. Once I saw his

face after the crime I was at a loss for words and still haven't ever forgotten

this picture in my mind, actually a part of me died as I tried to take this senseless act of mutilation in. You can sit back and joke all you want, but just

remember what you are playing around with is easily the darkest and most

shameful era of this country. Ignorance advocates ignorance.

http://pandagon.blogsome.com/images/225pxEmmett_Till.jpg
http://www.thesaudavoice.com/.a/6a00e55291ee848833010535e6ea3f970c-800wi

dirk4mvp
04-15-2009, 04:34 PM
I thought I'd see that pic on 4chan, but not on spurstalk :(

monosylab1k
04-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Yeah? Well now the rest of the board knows how the fuck it feels :cry ... to have some lame ass shit thrown into your face over and over and over and over and over again :cry . If Jazz fans weren't called racists literally :cry, no joke, 200+ times a week on these boards :cry you wouldn't be dealing with this right now. :cry

The mavs fans started this shit as a routine months ago and it hasn't gotten old apparently :cry. So Trout, I'd suggest you keep/amp it up until Kori or LJ put an end to it; from both sides.

BUMP
04-15-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm sure you have PLENTY to be pissed about, I mean...someobody made

fun of mormon whitejazz people on an internets message board so its

perfect fine by equating it with the racism blacks have gotten, personally, i

think its disgusting. Someone saying something to you over an internet

message board is nothing like centuries of slavery, abuse, lynchings, and

discrimination. I too made black jokes sometimes and one day I heard about

the story of emmett till. Boy who whistled at a white women and was

beaten to death beyond recognition and dumped in a lake. Once I saw his

face after the crime I was at a loss for words and still haven't ever forgotten

this picture in my mind, actually a part of me died as I tried to take this senseless act of mutilation in. You can sit back and joke all you want, but just

remember what you are playing around with is easily the darkest and most

shameful era of this country. Ignorance advocates ignorance.

http://pandagon.blogsome.com/images/225pxEmmett_Till.jpg
http://www.thesaudavoice.com/.a/6a00e55291ee848833010535e6ea3f970c-800wi

thats true, but at the same time there are idiots in America, still and anybody can say pretty much whatever they want on the internet just for attention, telling them to 'shut the fuck up' is just what they are looking for.

hell, 90% of the garbage i post on here im just looking for attention because some people here are so sensitive it's funny to see the way they react:lol

but if someone goes to this level, the best thing you can really do is ignore the idiot.

monosylab1k
04-15-2009, 05:33 PM
:lmao the Jazz Fan idea of "hey! they're calling us racists, so maybe if we act like racists we can shove it in their face!" is fucking funny and retarded as all get out.

That's like a fat kid thinking the best way to get back at the kids making fun of him is by getting even fatter.

Morg1411
04-15-2009, 05:54 PM
thats true, but at the same time there are idiots in America, still and anybody can say pretty much whatever they want on the internet just for attention, telling them to 'shut the fuck up' is just what they are looking for.

hell, 90% of the garbage i post on here im just looking for attention because some people here are so sensitive it's funny to see the way they react:lol

but if someone goes to this level, the best thing you can really do is ignore the idiot.

Damn. I need to stop enabling people.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-15-2009, 06:11 PM
:lmao at every Bump post on this thread.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Troutbum's family:

DelwItMuJiY

IronMexican
04-15-2009, 06:18 PM
BUMP is definitely underrated when it comes to his trolling smarts.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-15-2009, 06:19 PM
BUMP is definitely underrated when it comes to his trolling smarts.
BUMP's underrated in general. When he's posting about stuff other than the Mavs he's fuckin hilarious.

BUMP
04-15-2009, 08:15 PM
:lmao the Jazz Fan idea of "hey! they're calling us racists, so maybe if we act like racists we can shove it in their face!" is fucking funny and retarded as all get out.

That's like a fat kid thinking the best way to get back at the kids making fun of him is by getting even fatter.

:lol

sook
04-15-2009, 08:16 PM
i just like his sig :lol

resistanze
04-15-2009, 09:45 PM

:lmao

mytespurs
04-15-2009, 10:36 PM
The word out of Utah is even better.

http://blogs.sltrib.com/jazz/

While the Jazz won't win this series, I think it's pretty pathetic to wave the white flag before the series even begins. Go out on the court & play and let the chips fall where they may! :nope:ihit