PDA

View Full Version : Manu Injury Questions...

mando6599
04-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Was his season-ending injury because he came back too soon? Did the training staff "miss" something in regards to his foot? Did he actually injure it in a specific game or play? Or was this something that would have happened anyways? Any help in answering these and more would be appreciated. Thanks.

mando

xtremesteven33
04-15-2009, 12:46 PM
It was going to happen regarless....sad to say :depressed

DPG21920
04-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Don't ask questions, it only makes this harder.

mytespurs
04-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Here's what Manu says (translated):

"If it would be my decision, I would stay in San Antonio forever

There was no reason for me to move too much and make this last trip to Sacramento. The reasonable thing to do was to stay home with my orthopedic boot and watch the game on TV... But when the playoffs start I'm going to travel with the team everywhere, like I've always done, but this time it's going to be weird watching from outside the lines. It's going to be the first time in 7 years I'll miss a playoff game.

When the fracture was confirmed the shock was terrible. I understand that there's a lot of talk about my situation and that the Olympic Games topic was brought back up. That's why I feel it's important to clarify that what happened to me was in the other leg, the right one, and has nothing to do with the left ankle injury in China.

The fibula is a bone that basically can't handle any weight, almost everything is handled by the tibia (shinbone). At some point, some people wanted to tie the two injuries together, but now the doctors tell me that's just makes no sense. To go play with the national team the Spurs medical staff gave me the clearance, just exactly like they a few weeks back when I came back to play in the NBA. There are always risks, and that's what happened. I had a bad stretch with injuries. I'm conscious that at the end of the next season I will be a free agent, and both the Spurs and me can make a choice. But this didn't change the way I think. I said it many times and I'll say it again: If it would be my decision, I would stay in San Antonio forever.

Because of this situation, among other things, the team is not playing that well. I don't remember any other season that we got to the playoffs playing so irregularly. The injuries are a technical-tactical problem. I missed 55% of the games, but Tim Duncan also has problems in his knees, and sometimes he's in pain and can't play normally. The team changes a lot, tries to re-adapt and suffers a lot.

Nevertheless, after 60 games this season we were in second place, and even with 3 games advantage over the third team. In the last 20 it got complicated with this whole injury issue.

We now can end up between 2nd and 5th. Regardless of home court advantage, and because of how they've been playing, any of the potential rivals look pretty much the same. What everyone is trying to avoid, of course, is the 8th spot since the Lakers did show everyone they were the superior team. After that, all teams have their plus and minuses: Portland is a great team, athletic, but somewhat young and irregular; Houston is strong, but could suffer missing an talented offensive leader like McGrady in the playoffs; New Orleans we know well, they have a lot of up and downs; Dallas is picking up... all of them are dangerous.

On the other side, Cleveland is a step ahead of Boston, that has problems without Kevin garnett, and Orlando. The playoffs are different every year, but I think Cleveland this time around has a few new players like Delonte West or Mo Williams that can make a difference. If any team tries to do what we did in the 2007 Finals, clogging the paint to stop James, they can have problems from the outside because they're good spot up shooters. Lebron is surrounded better this time and he has been unstoppable.

They're going to be a very different playoffs, but I will still feel part of the team, as usual. The way I'll feel about it will be different though, obviously. When I won championships, the 2005 one was the most emotional for me because I was determinant like I never was. In 2003 was really incredible, but I had a different role. And 2007 also felt different. It's going to be my turn to support the team as a fan, but I still feel responsible for anything that happens. It's always like that, when things go well and when they don't.

Manu"

Hope this helps :)

ElNono
04-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Was his season-ending injury because he came back too soon? Did the training staff "miss" something in regards to his foot? Did he actually injure it in a specific game or play? Or was this something that would have happened anyways? Any help in answering these and more would be appreciated. Thanks.

mando

I don't think there's much public information regarding this. All we know is that the coaching staff gave him extra time to recover, and that the Spurs medical staff cleared him to play. Manu has only mentioned he felt pain in during the Cleveland game, told Pop, and that is why Pop didn't play him in the 4th quarter. Further studies showed that the stress reaction turned into a fracture.
AFAIK, that's all we know about it.

mando6599
04-15-2009, 12:54 PM
I don't think there's much public information regarding this. All we know is that the coaching staff gave him extra time to recover, and that the Spurs medical staff cleared him to play. Manu has only mentioned he felt pain in during the Cleveland game, told Pop, and that is why Pop didn't play him in the 4th quarter. Further studies showed that the stress reaction turned into a fracture.
AFAIK, that's all we know about it.

Thanks, that helps.

DaBears
04-15-2009, 01:13 PM
While stress reactions typically take on average 4-6 weeks to heal, on average normal active individuals, an athletic body build person will take about 3-4 weeks.

As we all know freak accidents happen while i have treated individuals with similar problems, stress reactions can result in stress fractures or breaks if not enough sufficient rest is given, but also with adequate rest still may not prevent it either. Once a bone is or has a weakness rest or not, may not be enough to prevent future occurrences.

So in my opinion medical staff that works closely with athletes are among the best in there area. At least you would like to think so with the money they make.

What happened to Manu is unfortunate but can happen to anyone anytime any place, rest or not.

DaBears
04-15-2009, 01:19 PM
On side note...... This might have been a blessing in disguise. Simply for the fact that it has pointed out glaring weaknesses in the spurs lineup and rotation. So I am fairly confident that this offseason changes and additions will be made.