PDA

View Full Version : OC Register: Why Wait For June? Lakers Will Win NBA Title

duncan228
04-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Why wait for June? Lakers will win NBA title (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lakers-season-year-2364111-nba-reporting)
No need to wait for the games to be played with a conclusion this forgone.
Jeff Miller
Columnist
The Orange County Register

The NBA's Web site is reporting that the playoffs will begin Saturday.

The Lakers' flagship radio station is reporting the team likely will begin the playoffs Sunday.

ABC is reporting it will open its coverage of the playoffs as soon as possible.

The Orange County Register already has lost its patience. The Orange County Register doesn't have time for this, given the very real possibility the newspaper industry will be out of business by the end of this sentence.

Therefore, The Orange County Register is reporting the Lakers will win the NBA championship.

Reporting it right now, right here, this instant, written while the Lakers are finishing their regular season and nearly two months before the start of the NBA Finals.

The Lakers will win it all, according to sources close to the team, very close. Why, we were standing right next to Sasha Vujacic just the other day.

"Anything short of a championship will be a disappointment," Vujacic said. "We haven't been saying that quietly this season; we've been saying it out loud. But there's no fun if there's no pressure, right? You gotta have pressure."

So the Lakers have pressure, the sort of knee-quivering, mouth-drying, underpants-wetting stress that comes from being projected as champions by a big-time sportswriter.

Or, in this case, a sportswriter usually preoccupied big-time with finding ways to get the word "booger" in the paper.

We just can't see the Lakers falling short this time. A year ago, they were one of those feel-good stories. This year, they're one of those real-good stories.

Remember the Lakers last spring? Pau Gasol was still the surprise gift they kept finding under the tree each morning. Even with one Andrew Bynum tied behind their backs, they conquered a Western Conference reported to be historically hellish.

They were warm, endearing, like the smile reborn on the face of Kobe Bryant, who months earlier had demanded everything from Jerry Buss but his mustache.

They were more underdog than this franchise ever has been, using the momentum of stunning regular-season success to advance all the way to Boston and Game 6 of the Finals, where they were more dog than this franchise ever has been.

Vujacic called the past couple seasons "rebuilding ones," and if that's true the Lakers reached the 2008 Finals while in a mode similar to the one the Grizzlies are in at the moment.

"We were in the Finals and that was all exciting and everything," Gasol said. "But I'm not sure if we went into the playoffs with a sense we were going to win. The feeling around here is different now."

This spring, the Lakers enter having nearly lapped the West and with Bynum untied and roaming freely again, although his knee is still confined to a brace menacing enough that it might start growling.

The past six months haven't really been a regular season or regular at all. Each game, practice and shootaround had little to do with the present and everything to do with attempting to secure home court way, way down the road.

"Last year, we were the hunters," Vujacic said. "This year, we're the hunted. That's a big difference."

Literally, this season has been about Game 7 from Day 1. The Lakers have participated in 82 contests so far only because the NBA established that as a prerequisite.

They have been granted a monopoly in the West and, to fittingly complete their domination, given a go directly to the Finals card, too.

"It was more like we were on a good run last year," Gasol said. "This time, we've been getting ready all year for where we are now. Now we have to make our statement and make a stand."

And they are going to do just that, guaranteed, thanks to the addition of Bynum and the health of Trevor Ariza and the amount of talent flowing off the bench so incessantly it could warp hardwood.

Here's something to consider when pondering the Lakers' depth:

In that Game 6 against the Celtics last June, their starting small forward was Vladimir Radmanovic, who was good enough to start only three games this season for 11-games-below-.500 Charlotte.

"Everybody deserves a championship — all the players, the city of Los Angeles, everyone across Laker universe," Vujacic said. "We want to be working until the middle of June. There has been a lot of talking, but we'd rather do it with facts now."

The Red Sox have a nation. So do the Raiders and Yankees and 7-Eleven.

The Lakers have a universe. Yes, they got Milky Way.

And like any decent, self-respecting universe, the Lakers have a black hole, into which they're about to stuff the rest of the league.

They will win the 2008-09 NBA championship. Let everyone else dawdle and predict the first round, Lakers in four games or five games or whatever.

We're not waiting around for that. Our projection cuts right to what matters:

Lakers in two months.

pauls931
04-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Lets make it fair and break the lakers up into two teams, starters +6th man and bench. I bet they would meet in the WCF and teh starters would then go on to win the title. Yup, it's inevitable...

xtremesteven33
04-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Its the Lakers Championship to lose.....all the pressure is not on them to come thru

resistanze
04-15-2009, 01:02 PM
How can people be more annoying than Celtic fans?

E20
04-15-2009, 01:02 PM
What kind of shit infested back trodden newspaper refers to themselves in third person?

BUMP
04-15-2009, 01:04 PM
DrHouse is that you?

Morg1411
04-15-2009, 01:05 PM

I think it requires genetic engineering.

pauls931
04-15-2009, 01:11 PM

I think LA fans are much more annoying by far, it's not even close. Granted both have bandwagoners recovering from teh Bird/Magic days.

kamikazi_player
04-15-2009, 01:14 PM
HAHA, hey Lakers don't be too confident, what happened to your 4 great all stars in 2004? Did you guys win it all?

lil_penny
04-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Pretty sure this is the same douche that said this last year...

IronMexican
04-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Lol, 2004 smack talk. That's sooo awesome!

Sportstudi
04-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Stern will make sure that his favoured team wins the title. :rolleyes

Allanon
04-15-2009, 01:18 PM
The writer is just writing what nobody else dares to say.

Things have gotten so bad in betting that BODOG is refunding money to people who lose betting against the Lakers.

The Spurs were the only thing stopping the Lakers this year and then they got the bad news. Lakers will only have to play 1 of Celtics/Cavs/Magic after they've beaten the hell out of each other.

With Bynum scoring 22 points in his 4th game back, it's going to be very hard to upset the Lakers. It's possible, just not likely.

kamikazi_player
You guys were talked up and hyped up soo much in 2004, lets just give Karl and GP their first ring. Too bad that didn't happen after Pistons whip you're ass in the Finals. So sad that after that Karl retired and GP went to Miami to get his ring.

Ghazi
LA was not an underdog last year lol

Ghazi
04-15-2009, 01:19 PM
75 win ecstasy!!:smokin

IronMexican
04-15-2009, 01:20 PM
And what exactly does 2004 have to do with this team? About the only thing the same is Fisher and Kobe.

kamikazi_player
04-15-2009, 01:20 PM
I'll give Lakers this, if they face Cavs in the finals if they can get that far, they will win the championship.

kamikazi_player
04-15-2009, 01:21 PM
And what exactly does 2004 have to do with this team? About the only thing the same is Fisher and Kobe.

It's just about the article, he's so confident that they will win the championship this year, just like in 2004, they were so confident as well.

kamikazi_player
04-15-2009, 01:22 PM
it's cool its the writers opinion, but don't let it jinx you guys.

IronMexican
04-15-2009, 01:24 PM
I don't think an article from an OC writer is going to jinx the Lakers. They are going to go as far as Kobe takes them. If Kobe turns into Finals Kobe, Lakers aren't winning shit, especially if he takes the majority of the shots and doesn't realize that Pau has been the MVP all season.

kamikazi_player
04-15-2009, 01:29 PM
We're here to play the game, playoffs are totally different, plus their have been some fucked up things happening in the last year, Cardinals to the Super Bowl??? Devil Rays to the World Series??? none of you can predict that, i know it's different, but anything can happen, that's why you play the games. I just hope that the Mavs don't make the NBA finals.

DPG21920
04-15-2009, 01:30 PM
This is a future bump thread if I have ever seen one.

rascal
04-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Lakers will win it this year. Bank on it

cobbler
04-15-2009, 01:56 PM
You guys were talked up and hyped up soo much in 2004, lets just give Karl and GP their first ring. Too bad that didn't happen after Pistons whip you're ass in the Finals. So sad that after that Karl retired and GP went to Miami to get his ring.

Yeah, and if Gasol goes down with a torn MCL like Malone did we will probably have the same fate as then. Why does it matter? That was then, this is now.

Texas_Ranger
04-15-2009, 01:59 PM
I can't wait to see that Lakers will not win it all this year. This all Lakers talk is alreaday fucking boring!

cobbler
04-15-2009, 02:17 PM
I can't wait to see that Lakers will not win it all this year. This all Lakers talk is alreaday fucking boring!

Then maybe you can foregot the playuffs and take some grammor and speeling lessans!:wow

tlongII
04-15-2009, 02:27 PM
We will take them out.

j-money24
04-15-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't think an article from an OC writer is going to jinx the Lakers. They are going to go as far as Kobe takes them. If Kobe turns into Finals Kobe, Lakers aren't winning shit, especially if he takes the majority of the shots and doesn't realize that Pau has been the MVP all season.
:sleep

j-money24
04-15-2009, 02:42 PM
We will take them out.

You will eat those words.

xtremesteven33
04-15-2009, 02:47 PM
We will take them out.

If you do ill put a TLONGII design on my sig....seriously.

sribb43
04-15-2009, 02:55 PM
This article screams for a Kobe/Pau injury in the playoffs

layupdrill
04-15-2009, 03:10 PM
The pressure is more on LA than any other team to win. If they dont......

TampaDude
04-15-2009, 03:44 PM
If you don't see the Cavs winning the title this year, you haven't been watching much basketball...seriously.

baseline bum
04-15-2009, 04:19 PM
This kind of reminds me of another early championship article:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/061206dnsposherrington.d9a61ee.html

Finals will end in Miami

12:56 PM CDT on Monday, June 12, 2006

Attention, Mavs fans: In the NBA Finals ticket package you split with your business partner, here's hoping you didn't draw Games 6 and 7.

The only way the Mavs come back from Miami is on a float.

Map the parade route. Schedule the sick day.

Train the fire hoses on Mark Cuban.

Miami's chances of getting back here?

Good as a Shaq free throw.

What else are you supposed to think after the Mavs' incredibly easy 99-85 victory Sunday put the locals up 2-0?

Pat Riley knows what we'll say. He's heard the same in virtually each round of the playoffs.

"We were history," he said, chuckling at the media reaction. "I'm sure we're history right now."

Couldn't have said it better, actually.

Certainly Riley said it better than Shaquille O'Neal, who disappeared from this series long before he left American Airlines Center on Sunday without a word.

Never got off the bench in the fourth quarter. Came up with a career playoff-low 5 points on 2 of 5 shooting.

And that after Miami vowed to get him more touches than he had in Game 1.

Even when he got the ball, Shaq didn't exactly help himself. He's now 2-of-16 from the free throw line in the Finals, which pretty much sums up Miami's effort, too.

Correction: On behalf of my colleagues at SportsDay, I'd like to apologize for the half-dozen geniuses who picked the Heat to win the NBA Finals.

Geez. I feel guilty for picking the Mavs to win in six.

In pivotal Game 2, where an angry Shaq figured to wreak havoc after going ignored in the opener and Dwyane Wade was supposed to be close to getting over his cold, the so-called best 1-2 punch in the game was KO'd.

Question: How has the best set of NBA playoffs in memory come to this ugly end?

Answer: At least it ought to be quick. Not sure how merciful.

Think this series is still too early to call? Want to remind of the San Antonio series, when the Mavs went up 3-1 and needed a miracle three-point play from Dirk Nowitzki just to get into overtime in Game 7?

Forget it. San Antonio was a far more worthy opponent. Phoenix, too.

Even Memphis wasn't as grisly as Miami.

In these Finals, only Dallas beats Dallas.

Take Sunday's first half. Nowitzki and Josh Howard were a combined 3-of-10 in the first quarter, a continuation of Game 1's malaise. And their teammates weren't much better.

Shot 33.3 percent for the quarter.

Turned it over six times.

And still led by one.

Not until midway through the second quarter did the Mavs finally take off, specifically on the 3-point shooting of Jerry Stackhouse.

Otherwise, the Mavs' didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Nowitzki had his usual 26 points and 16 rebounds.

Dallas' depth, defense and versatility simply made the Heat look old and slow and confused and about two games short of summer vacation.

Who's going to beat the Mavs now? Not Wade. Not when he's going to have less time to recover between games.

Shaq? Not when he's taking half as many shots as Jason Williams took in the first half.

Antoine Walker had more shots, too, and seemed to think it was a good idea afterward.

Question: Who do you think gets booted first in the Miami Heat version of Survivor, Walker or Williams?

Come to think of it, maybe it wouldn't have mattered if Shaq had the ball any more. Any time the ball went into the post, and the Mavs moved in, Shaq simply passed out of the double team.

Note to the rest of the big, bad East: Do you think now it's a good idea to double Shaq?

"They know who to stay home on," Riley said of the Mavs' defense, "and who to leave open."

Give Avery Johnson credit. He and Del Harris have come up with another great game plan.

But don't forget the Heat's contribution. Riley hasn't.

"We'll obviously have to play a helluva lot better," he said, "than we played here."

And even that won't be good enough. Four games, maybe five, and that's it.

Question: Do they still make ticker tape?

E-mail [email protected]

mytespurs
04-15-2009, 04:30 PM
If you don't see the Cavs winning the title this year, you haven't been watching much basketball...seriously.

I will attest to that fact because I dont' see the Cavs winning the championship. I like LeBron so I hope they do but......right now, I'd have to go with the Lakers if they make it that far.

Morg1411
04-15-2009, 04:56 PM
I will attest to that fact because I dont' see the Cavs winning the championship. I like LeBron so I hope they do but......right now, I'd have to go with the Lakers if they make it that far.

Sadly, I have to agree. I'm hoping for an upset somewhere down the line, in either conference's Playoffs, just to avoid the Lakers/Cavaliers Finals everyone has known is coming all season.

21_Blessings
04-15-2009, 06:17 PM

I guess you missed both games where the Lakers curbstomped Cleveland into submission.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-15-2009, 06:25 PM

Yeah completely if you don't understand how a team with no low post scoring threat whatsoever is winning it all this year then you're insane.

SpursDynasty
04-15-2009, 06:27 PM
This is what gets the so-called "favorites" to be "upset" in the playoffs.

You have to go out and play the games.

No team is entitled to a championship, you have to go out and earn it, doesn't matter if you're 82-0 in the regular season.

cobbler
04-15-2009, 06:49 PM
This is what gets the so-called "favorites" to be "upset" in the playoffs.

You have to go out and play the games.

No team is entitled to a championship, you have to go out and earn it, doesn't matter if you're 82-0 in the regular season.

Thanks for clearing that up for us! :bang

TampaDude
04-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Yeah completely if you don't understand how a team with no low post scoring threat whatsoever is winning it all this year then you're insane.

Heh...we'll see...I know Stern is sucking Black Mamba all day and all night, but the Cavs D will be more than enough to slow down the Lakeshow. Cavs in 6. BOOK IT!!!

Lakers999
04-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Stern will make sure that his favoured team wins the title. :rolleyes

really?? i didnt know he got ginobili a full knee and ankle transplant so he can get back on the court for the spurs to win their 5th after all it is a odd year