PDA

View Full Version : Resting players in the final game of the regular season...

adidas11
04-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Ok, so its all over ESPN and other sports channels about how the Cavs are sitting LBJ, Mo Williams, Joe Smith, and Big Z for tonights game. The Cavs have wrapped up the best record in the league, and their reasoning is to avoid injuries/rest for their top players.

Now, I have no problem with this, as they have earned the right to do so.

But I also remember many years back, during the Pat Riley-Lakers days, when after the Lakers wrapped up the best record in the league (during the 89-90 season, I believe), they played their final game of the season on the road against Portland.

Back then, Portland was one of the top teams in the league, and this was a big anticipated matchup. Riles sat Magic, Worthy, Byron Scott, and others, and basically went with the second string. The Lakers got blown out that night.

David Stern fined the Lakers for pulling this stunt! Citing that fans pay to see the star players, and if they aren't injured or hurt, then they have to play!

So why the double standard??

Emma Watson
04-15-2009, 04:46 PM
So you are saying that Stern said he wasn't going to fine the Cavs already?

If so that is a double standard.

Matchman
04-15-2009, 05:51 PM
i dont know what Stern is talking about but if you are any kind of NBA fan you should know by now that teams do rest their star players at the end of the season. thats why i never buy any ticket to late season games.

Ron Ron Artest
04-15-2009, 06:19 PM
so will it really make you feel that much better if they do get fined.... who cares.

anonoftheinternets
04-15-2009, 06:24 PM
this season is already plauged by injuries..... team needs to do what it needs to do.