PDA

View Full Version : What fast-food or Restaurant chains does S.A need and doesn't have yet?

davi78239
03-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Fast Food/Restaurant: Fatburger (supposed to be getting these soon)
Restaurant: Cheddars Casual Cafe (have 2 in Austin and 1 in College Station)
Anyone else think of others?

Kori Ellis
03-19-2005, 05:26 PM
In-and-Out Burger

davi78239
03-19-2005, 05:30 PM
yea, those are also heavely situated in the southwest. The one time I went to vegas, we wanted to try one, but it was packed as shit and this was like past 11 at night too. I've only tried Fatburger and those are goood!!

Spurs košarka kultura
03-19-2005, 06:11 PM
Krystal, home of the little food.

Dex
03-19-2005, 06:12 PM
In-and-Out Burger

A-freakin-men.

http://dukegirl.smugmug.com/photos/211635/211635-Medium.jpg

Heaven in a box.

I miss California. :depressed

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-19-2005, 06:21 PM
I'm with you guys on the In-And-Out.

I have to stop whenever I go by one.

I have to travel to Barstow once a year (as my father-in-law once said "If the state of California ever needed an enema, Barstow is where they'd stick the hose") and the one highlight of that journey is eating lunch at the In-and-Out Burger by the outlet malls there.

Addictive stuff.

Slomo
03-19-2005, 06:33 PM
I'm with you guys on the In-And-Out.

I have to stop whenever I go by one.

I have to travel to Barstow once a year (as my father-in-law once said "If the state of California ever needed an enema, Barstow is where they'd stick the hose") and the one highlight of that journey is eating lunch at the In-and-Out Burger by the outlet malls there.

Addictive stuff.
Why?

What makes In-and-Out special/different?

davi78239
03-19-2005, 06:36 PM
Haven't tried it yet, but it must be good cause people rave about it and from the looks of the ones in vegas, they're always pretty packed. I know that Fatburger kicks the shit out of Whataburger though.

Beans
03-19-2005, 07:26 PM
when is fatburger going to come to san anton?

ZStomp
03-19-2005, 07:30 PM
Fast Food/Restaurant: Fatburger (supposed to be getting these soon)
Restaurant: Cheddars Casual Cafe (have 2 in Austin and 1 in College Station)
Anyone else think of others?

My buddy owns a restaurant on SW Military and he named it Fat Burger....neatless to say, he had to change the name. It's called SA Burger. :)

Give it a try! It's good!

Duff McCartney
03-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Chotchkies.

davi78239
03-19-2005, 07:49 PM
yea, when I heard of that one on sw military, I thought that was it but it wasn't. The name change just shows you that they (Fatburger) will be coming. On their website, they have san antonio, dal-ft. worth, and austin locations coming soon.

baseline bum
03-19-2005, 08:49 PM
In N Out is the freshest tasting fast food I've ever had - it's just not even close. You can see them cutting the fries from the potatos right there behind the counter. The meat is outstanding, the shakes are good, and they don't serve any crap. Your options are hambuger / cheeseburger with any number of patties, shake, soda, fries, and animal-style or not. In N Out is about the price of McDonald's too.

Fatburger has the best quality meat of any fast food place I've been to, and lets you get tons of toppings (ie, chili, egg, bacon, etc.), but expect to pay $7+ for a combo meal. Still, it's worth it.

SpursWoman
03-19-2005, 08:52 PM
I don't think San Antonio needs any new fast food restaurants. :fro

Guru of Nothing
03-19-2005, 08:55 PM
I don't think San Antonio needs any new fast food restaurants. :fro

That's why I left SA - not enough fast-food restaurants.

davi78239
03-19-2005, 09:08 PM
San Antonio had In and Out? Where at?

Beans
03-19-2005, 09:18 PM
i looked on the site and did not see san anton listed

davi78239
03-19-2005, 09:30 PM
You have to go to locations and then click on the map of U.S.A. Then move your mouse on Texas and it will say San Antonio, DFW, and Austin locations coming soon.

maxpower
03-19-2005, 09:50 PM
In -n- Out.....agreed.

Shelly
03-19-2005, 10:25 PM
I never thought In-N-Out burgers were that great.

However, I do remember the In-N-Out Burger bumper stickers changed to say In-N-Out Urge.

TheWriter
03-19-2005, 10:51 PM
White Castle and probably Carl's JR.

That's about it.

We have enough fast food joints.

T Park
03-19-2005, 11:11 PM
White Castle, Steak and Shake, In N Out, Claim Jumper, Carl's JR.

Claim Jumper is the best resteraunt I've ever had.

Guru of Nothing
03-19-2005, 11:25 PM
Krystal, home of the little food.

aka, gut grenades.

iminlakerland
03-19-2005, 11:27 PM
Claim Jumpers portions are HUGE

Duff McCartney
03-19-2005, 11:47 PM
Steak and Shake

Man...I used to live in Atlanta and it had those restaurants there...I didn't it eat when I lived there but I went back to visit years ago and I asked my brother if it was any good...he said it was terrible.

T Park
03-19-2005, 11:57 PM
your brother doesn't know good food.

Steak and Shake Burger, with THE BEST, milkshake youll ever have.

Steak and Shake freakin rocks.

exstatic
03-20-2005, 12:07 AM
...Carl's JR

They used to be here. I remember one on Pat Booker right near the base, and one on Walzem across from Windsor Park Mall. BK bought them out, lock, stock and barrel, and turned them all into BKs. I think the one on Walzem still is a BK. The one on Pat Booker was a BK, then Blancas Cafe (small local chain), and is now a KFC/TacoBell.

TastesLikeChicken
03-20-2005, 12:30 AM
There's a Carl's Jr in Von Ormy

After living in Albuquerque I think there should be a "Twisters" in every town in the world, except for Williston, ND because I had some bad experiences with the town-folk there and they don't deserve one, everywhere else though.

TheWriter
03-20-2005, 01:45 AM
Holy Crap, there is a Carl's Jr in San Antonio, well, the city of Von Ormy.

Why?

You'd think there'd be one somewhere in the northside before the southwest side.

http://cke.Know-Where.com/carlsjr/Icon/US.gif
http://cke.know-where.com/carlsjr//region/US/map/TX.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/TimManuParker/carljr.png

davi78239
03-20-2005, 03:13 AM
Well, the burger king on walzem bit the dust and is for sale. No surprise there. Walzem has become a shit hole. I grew up and still live over there and it used to be nothing like what it is now. Hopefully something good will go in that burger king though. It's in a prime corner of walzem and the traffic is definitely there. By the way, has anyone ever lived out west and ate at those Del Taco's they have all over the place?

Shelly
03-20-2005, 09:43 AM
Claim Jumpers portions are HUGE

One time I ordered steamed vegetables and they gave me a whole head of cauliflower! I have never seen potatoes that big in my life.

I rememember seeing this little old lady in there once. The sandwich in front of her was taller than she was.

But that 7 layer cake is to die for.

Flemmings steak house is awesome (I think there's one in Houston). It's pricey a la Ruth's Chris and Morton's, though. I think it's owned by the people who own PF Changs.

AlamoSpursFan
03-20-2005, 10:15 AM
That Carl's Jr is in the Loves Truck Stop just south of Loop 410 on I-35.

I ate a Steak and Shake in Angola, Indiana. I thought it was pretty good, but I was starving, so who knows.

They have Steak and Shakes in Dallas now...

KEDA
03-20-2005, 10:36 AM
I cant believe no one else has mentioned it, its kind of fast food and is available EVERYWHERE else (even Longview) except San Antonio.

WAFFLE HOUSE

unless there is one here and I am not aware of it

davi78239
03-20-2005, 11:45 AM
Hell yea, I second the Waffle House. Those are some of the best Waffles I've ever had. Also, we need to get Fazolis back in town. Man, we ate there all the time. Cheap Italian, but it tasted pretty good for being kinda fast foodish. Their chocolate chip cookies were good too.

T Park
03-20-2005, 01:18 PM
oh yeah waffle houses are great.

I forgot one,

Pappa's burger here in Houston, and Pappas Bar B Q.

Good lord those places are AWESOME.

Pappas Bar B Q is THE BEST Bar B Q you will ever eat, GARUNTEED!

scott
03-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Why would we ever want more chains?

T Park
03-20-2005, 01:35 PM
because we WANT to.

WTF, do you want the town to NOT grow???

SpursWoman
03-20-2005, 01:54 PM

Horizontally? No, not really.... :fro

samikeyp
03-20-2005, 02:05 PM
Flash, as someone who has lived here all my life (35 years) I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you about In-And-Out burger. Unless it was an indvidual restaurant that somebody named that wasn't part of the franchise. (like Fatburger) Where was it located? I was going to mention the Fatburger now SABurger. A co-worker of mine knows the owner and worked for him on the weekends.

davi78239
03-20-2005, 02:22 PM
Speaking of Houston, I wouldn't mind having Beck's Prime. I visited Houston recently in November and my cousin took me and my girlfriend there for lunch. Man, those are some pretty good burgers and fries too!

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-20-2005, 08:11 PM
White Castle hamburgers are kind of gross if you ask me.

Thin little bite-sized greasy patty with a few grilled onions on a cheap dinner roll.

Guru of Nothing
03-20-2005, 08:22 PM
because we WANT to.

....bites lip .... nevermind.

Clandestino
03-20-2005, 08:25 PM
White Castle hamburgers are kind of gross if you ask me.

Thin little bite-sized greasy patty with a few grilled onions on a cheap dinner roll.

oh man, i have had those burgers before.. they suck!

Bluto Blutarsky
03-20-2005, 09:30 PM
Man, I remember Carl Jrs. I loved that place growing up. My parents would always take us there and I always had to get that sheet of stickers. I always thought they were long gone. I didn't know there was still one around. I'm gonna have to go check it out.

GoldToe
03-21-2005, 12:19 AM
I liked Rally's Burgers when they were around. Loved their fries.

SA has enough burger joints already. Maybe a Taco Ed's, the home of the burrito-on-a-stick.

TheWriter
03-21-2005, 12:20 AM
I liked Rally's Burgers when they were around. Loved their fries.

SA has enough burger joints already. Maybe a Taco Ed's, the home of the burrito-on-a-stick.

Um.. more fast food mexican food?

No.

Clandestino
03-21-2005, 12:36 AM
carl jrs is just avg fast food too...nothing special

Kori Ellis
03-21-2005, 12:58 AM
What's weird to me about fast food is the perception of it in different locations. For example, when I was growing up in Phoenix, What-a-burger was considered horrible, low-rate burgers and you avoided going there at all cost. Here in San Antonio, people like it. In Los Angeles, people love Burger King -- here I don't find many people who like it at all.

It's just weird.

2pac
03-21-2005, 01:01 AM
SA is consistantly one of the fattest cities in America, and all the people can talk about is the Spurs and Fast Food resturants.

SteakNShake sucks. Freakin false advertizement. You can get a shake, but you cant get a steak there. Steakburger my ass.

All SA needs is a WaffleHouse. Because breakfast isnt unhealthy enough at Jims.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-21-2005, 01:35 AM
SA is consistantly one of the fattest cities in America

Aren't you from Houston?

Glass houses.

2pac
03-21-2005, 01:45 AM
Aren't you from Houston?

Glass houses.

I'm from SA.

My job is based in Houston.

baseline bum
03-21-2005, 02:39 AM
If you're going to steal a chain from Houston take Star Pizza. The only other pizza chain I've found that's as good is LaMonica's in LA.

TheWriter
03-21-2005, 03:03 AM
SA is consistantly one of the fattest cities in America, and all the people can talk about is the Spurs and Fast Food resturants.

Actually, San Antonio wasn't even listed as top ten the last time they did the "Fattest City" list.

Guess who was?

Houston.

Guess which two cities always battle back and forth for number 1.

Detroit and Houston.

Man In Black
03-21-2005, 03:44 AM
In-N-Out. I eat there at least 4 times a month here in Cali. It's the freshest quality, nothing ever gets heat lamped and everything is so tasty.

I think Kori remembers this place. I suggest...Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles.
Them is good eats.

baseline bum
03-21-2005, 05:22 AM
The best place in LA to eat is El Tepeyac Café. $6.35 for a burrito the size of a tray of lasagna packed with pork, guacamole, chili verde, rice, beans, topped with cheese. It's by far the best burrito I've ever had in my life.

travis2
03-21-2005, 07:33 AM
What's weird to me about fast food is the perception of it in different locations. For example, when I was growing up in Phoenix, What-a-burger was considered horrible, low-rate burgers and you avoided going there at all cost. Here in San Antonio, people like it. In Los Angeles, people love Burger King -- here I don't find many people who like it at all.

It's just weird.

Probably a Texas thing. Whataburger is a Texas company.

JoeChalupa
03-21-2005, 08:30 AM
When I was living in small town Ohio it was big news when Burger King opened. Since McDonald's was the only fast-food burger place.
I was really glad when it opened and stuffed many a Whopper during my late night partying.
I haven't had a Whataburger in a long time although they do make one just like I like it.

gay abc
03-21-2005, 10:27 AM
we need more burger boys in town - there is only one (that i know of) on st. mary's street :smokin

NameDropper
03-21-2005, 10:52 AM
we need more burger boys in town - there is only one (that i know of) on st. mary's street :smokin

From what I've heard, I would've thought you'd want more Sasauge Boys in town.

Clandestino
03-21-2005, 11:06 AM
Speaking of different burger joints in different places.

Dairy Queen doesn't give names to their food in other states like they do in Texas. My ex was super embarrassed in (i think AZ or NM) when she tried to order a "beltbuster" and a "dude." The people just looked at her like she was crazy! haha!

gay abc
03-21-2005, 11:07 AM
From what I've heard, I would've thought you'd want more Sasauge Boys in town.

what have you heard jota? :lol

JoeChalupa
03-21-2005, 11:09 AM
I remember when I first moved down here wondering what the heck a "po boy" was.

AlamoSpursFan
03-21-2005, 11:10 AM
I read an article once about Dairy Queen and Dairy Queen Texas being essentially two different companies. Something about DQ wanting to stop selling hamburgers and the Texas DQ's not wanting to...or something along those lines.

If you go into a DQ in any other state, it is definitely a different feel to the restaurant than a DQ here. Plus, as Mrs. ASF is fond of pointing out, you can get dipped cones in other flavors besides chocolate at non-Texas DQs.

Jimcs50
03-21-2005, 01:43 PM
http://www.freebirds.com/images/square_logo.jpg

SA needs this place. They are in College Station, Austin, Houston, Dallas and started in Long Beach St area in Cali. Awesome burritos.

KEDA
03-21-2005, 01:47 PM
http://www.freebirds.com/images/square_logo.jpg

SA needs this place. They are in College Station, Austin, Houston, Dallas and started in Long Beach St area in Cali. Awesome burritos.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spurminator
03-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Do you guys have Taco Bueno?

davi78239
03-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Is there a website for that Freebirds place? Who has Taco Bueno?

Spurminator
03-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Taco Bueno started in Abilene, TX, and there's a bunch of them in the Metroplex. I think I even saw a few in the Pac Northwest when I visited Oregon one summer, but we didn't have them in Houston.

2pac
03-21-2005, 02:02 PM
SA is the next place a Freebirds will be located. Mark my words.

gophergeorge
03-21-2005, 02:10 PM
TACO John's (a Minnesota thing... two tacos for 99 cents on Tuesdays... they were gross, but as a college kid, the price was right).

Who needs In N Out when we have Whataburger?

I'd like a Hardee's mushroom and swiss burger though...

davi78239
03-21-2005, 02:10 PM
What kind of stuff does FreeBirds have? Is it good, expensive, cheap?

2pac
03-21-2005, 02:23 PM
What kind of stuff does FreeBirds have? Is it good, expensive, cheap?

Burritos. Costs a little more than Chipotle, but have more options and better quality.

Spurminator
03-21-2005, 02:26 PM
Chipotle is McDonalds' knockoff of Freebirds. Freebirds offers different kinds of tortillas, rice, and multiple sizes of burritos. Plus, their sauces are better.

And they have Pepsi beverages, which I prefer.

JoeChalupa
03-21-2005, 03:02 PM
No Coke, Pepsi!

mrblonde17
03-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Just went to In-and-Out site. They only have listings in California, Arizona, and Nevada. Please don't tease me like that. I've been wanting one in Austin for years.

Drachen
03-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Ive heard that by the end of next year, we are supposed to be getting 4 white castles, I am totally down with that.

Shelly
03-21-2005, 04:18 PM
They don't call White Castle burgers 'sliders' for nuttin....

KEDA
03-21-2005, 04:42 PM
I have had the frozen food version of the White Castle, and if the restaraunt version is ANYTHING close that, you can count me out!

davi78239
03-21-2005, 08:09 PM
How do you know we are getting White Castles?

samikeyp
03-21-2005, 10:58 PM
you can get dipped cones in other flavors besides chocolate at non-Texas DQs.

you can get those here in TX at some locations. You will find that the DQ's in the smaller towns for some reason have better variety than here in SA. The DQ in Utopia had your traditional chocolate, vanilla and strawberry shakes but also had pineapple, mocha and some other flavors. The one in Nocona offered free hushpuppies. Some have butterscotch and strawberry dipped cones.

Anyone here in SA remember Burger Chef or GW Jr's?

IceColdBrewski
03-21-2005, 11:32 PM
I lived in Vegas for 8 years. Carl's Jr has In-N-Out Burger beat all to hell as far as I'm concerned. Nothing beats a fresh Western Bacon Cheesburger from Carl's Jr. I've been to the one at the Love's truck stop here in San Antonio. Make sure you go inside and tell them you want it made fresh. They tried to give me a heat-lamp burger when I went through the drive-through once. I took one bite and had to turn around.

Rally's in Vegas was great too. Kinda like Sonic but better and cheaper burgers.

Miami Subs and Grill was great when I lived on the east coast. San Antonio had one for a while but it didn't last long. Don't know why. The food is awesome.

Eegee's. They used to have places in Tucson and Phoenix but I think the Phoenix joints closed. Without a doubt the best grinders I've ever tasted. The best Slushes as well.

baseline bum
03-21-2005, 11:46 PM
Carl's Jr. is the ultimate burger chain for toppings. You can get burgers smothered in guacamole, topped with pastrami, with egg... whatever basically.

TheWriter
03-22-2005, 12:59 AM
Ive heard that by the end of next year, we are supposed to be getting 4 white castles, I am totally down with that.

Which city?

davi78239
03-22-2005, 01:15 AM
Yea, i want to know when we are getting white castle. We'll be getting Fatburger I know that.

3rdCoast
03-22-2005, 02:14 AM
I Like The Growth In The Area.

Dex
03-22-2005, 02:51 AM
Damn, this post has given me a hankering for In-N-Out that I am TOTALLY UNABLE to satiate.

If I jump out my window tonight, it will be all of ya'lls fault.

Fortunately, the two-story drop should only break a couple bones.

:spin

And I concur, Carl's Jr. is the effing bomb, too.

My fiance and I spent eight days in San Diego last summer; We ate at In-N-Out three times and Carl's Jr. four.

timvp
03-22-2005, 04:32 AM
My fiance

Is that a recent event you failed to announce on the forum? :)

tlongII
03-22-2005, 01:53 PM
The best fast food place is Burgerville! Too bad they are only in Oregon and Washington. Best fast food I've ever had.

http://www.burgerville.com/bv.html

Dex
03-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Is that a recent event you failed to announce on the forum? :)

Nah, we've been engaged since last July, long before I even found the online depths that are Spurstalk.

I guess we are just patient people.

Thanks for noticing though, bro. :king

AlamoSpursFan
03-23-2005, 02:53 AM
you can get those here in TX at some locations. You will find that the DQ's in the smaller towns for some reason have better variety than here in SA. The DQ in Utopia had your traditional chocolate, vanilla and strawberry shakes but also had pineapple, mocha and some other flavors. The one in Nocona offered free hushpuppies. Some have butterscotch and strawberry dipped cones.

Shhh...don't tell Mrs. ASF, or I'll have to search for them. It's bad enough that we HAVE to stop at every freaking DQ when we leave Texas so she can get her damn strawberry dipped cone.

The DQ in Freer uses chocolate soft serve to make their chocolate malts. Nothing like watching the lady smother chocolate ice cream with chocolate malt sauce to make your cholesterol go through the roof! MMMMM MMMMMM!

Oh, and White Castle sucks serious ASS. Ate at one in Columbus, Ohio. The joint was packed and I just wanted to get up on the counter and ask "WHY THE HELL DO YOU PEOPLE LIKE THIS SHIT???" I choked down one of those nasty ass "burgers" and a few chicken rings and donated the rest to the dumpster for some homeless Ohio State fan to chow down on. :lol

samikeyp
03-23-2005, 10:18 AM
Chicken rings? That just doesn't sound good.

davi78239
03-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Yup, chicken rings.

CosmicCowboy
03-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Baja Fresh rocks...been to one in California and one in DC and San Antonio doesn't really have anything like it...

http://www.bajafresh.com/sdx/H19587.jsp

davi78239
03-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Seen that on the "Jessica Simpson Show" a couple of times. Aren't those in Airports too?

CosmicCowboy
03-23-2005, 03:12 PM
I dunno about airports...the only place I have seen them was in pretty upscale locations...the one in California was in La Jolla and the one in DC was on DuPont Circle.

Kori Ellis
03-23-2005, 03:22 PM
Baja Fresh is really good. We had one right near my office (Beverly Hills) when in lived in L.A.

cherylsteele
03-23-2005, 03:57 PM
your brother doesn't know good food.

Steak and Shake Burger, with THE BEST, milkshake youll ever have.

Steak and Shake freakin rocks.

I was in Marion, Oh. a few years back for my grandmother's funeral and we ate there.....as fast food goes....it is quite good.......of course it is not Ruth Chris....but it is a step up from McDonalds.

cherylsteele
03-23-2005, 04:06 PM
I miss Po' Folks.....good portions good food.....great price.

Shelly
03-23-2005, 04:19 PM
Baja Fresh is really good. We had one right near my office (Beverly Hills) when in lived in L.A.

I put in my parent's zip code and there are 6 of them in their area. I've never eaten at one, though.

tlongII
03-23-2005, 04:23 PM
We've got Baja Fresh here as well. I'm not a huge mexican food fan though.

davi78239
03-23-2005, 07:54 PM
I second the Po'Folks. That was some good country cookin! Hey, yall remember Quick Wok and Puffin Billies Hamburgers back in the day too? Boy do I miss the Rail Rider Specials!!

johnny00
03-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Anyone here in SA remember Burger Chef or GW Jr's?
Shoot! I was hopin I wasn't the only one who remembers GW Jr's!!!

Best burgers to order when you got the munchies. My best friend at the time used to order the "Bacon Avacado Chilli Cheese Burger" No lie that was a real burger they sold. I still get a kick just remembering what that thing looked like!

Good Times

Mark in Austin
03-24-2005, 01:18 AM
Baja Fresh rocks...been to one in California and one in DC and San Antonio doesn't really have anything like it...

http://www.bajafresh.com/sdx/H19587.jsp

We've got a couple in Austin... not bad, and healthy if you order the right stuff. But there are better local choices here that provide the same type food. (Taco Deli on Barton Skyway is a good example)

What looked promising to me but turned out to suck serious ass was Red Robin. Their architects are much more talented then their chefs err... cooks. It was like the culinary equivalent of a mediocre boy band...

TheWriter
03-24-2005, 01:40 AM
There's two Red Robin's in San Antonio.

Never eaten at one though.

TheWriter
03-24-2005, 01:43 AM
Speaking of chain resturants in San Antonio.

Has anyone tried BackYard Buger?

http://www.hollyeats.com/images/South/BackYard-BurgerFries.jpg

I've passed it quite a few times off of 281.

Is it good?

baseline bum
03-24-2005, 01:52 AM
I wish they'd bring a Taco Cabana to LA. Nothing tastes better at 2 AM than chorizo & egg tacos (ok, one thing :P)

3rdCoast
03-24-2005, 02:02 AM
There's two Red Robin's in San Antonio.

Never eaten at one though.

Save yourself the cash and time. It's bullshyt man. The menu's are f'n huge and the booths are huge. I was there with my boy and we felt like midgets and we are both 6ft tall.

Oh yea, the food is wretched I think. The fries were ridiculous and the burger was even worse. Stick to Chesters or Applebees or Chilis. Just my two cents on this topic.

TheWriter
03-24-2005, 02:03 AM
What about Backyard Burgers?

3rdCoast
03-24-2005, 02:38 AM
I have never been there. I like this one place, off 1604 and Stone Oak, it has like an air plane theme to it. They have good hamburgers. I can not remember the name right now though. Darn. :pctoss

Kori Ellis
03-24-2005, 02:41 AM
Buck's Landing.

3rdCoast
03-24-2005, 02:54 AM
There ya' go. Thanks a lot. I really like that place.

MannyIsGod
03-24-2005, 03:04 AM
Chains freaking suck.

Eat local. Much better.

Kori Ellis
03-24-2005, 03:06 AM
There ya' go. Thanks a lot. I really like that place.

Yeah so do we. The burgers there are awesome.

davi78239
03-24-2005, 03:06 AM
Backyard is pretty good. It's kinda pricey though. San Antonio, Waco, and The Woodlands are the only ones you'll find in Texas so far.

3rdCoast
03-24-2005, 03:10 AM
As far as fast food goes, I enjoy Whataburger, Wendy's and Taco Bell. In that order, also.

For a restaurant to go in and eat, I like Salsalitos, Panchos,Cafe Milano, and Chilis. I love Panchos off Marbach and 410. They are building a new Chilis over here by my place off Culebra and 1604 so thats good, even though there is one right down at 1604 and Bandera.

I am curious to try Fat Burger when they build here.

samikeyp
03-24-2005, 09:28 AM
I liked Red Robin but it is a little pricey. Chester's has great burgers and pretty good priced as well. Fuddruckers is pretty good too, IMO.

AlamoSpursFan
03-24-2005, 09:30 AM
I thought Red Robin was pretty good as well. I tried that burger with the fried egg on it out of curiosity. It was excellent. Not only was the burger good, but Mrs. and Little ASF were grossed out by it. Sweet!

:lol

CosmicCowboy
03-24-2005, 09:35 AM
For a restaurant to go in and eat, I like Salsalitos, Panchos,Cafe Milano, and Chilis. I love Panchos off Marbach and 410. They are building a new Chilis over here by my place off Culebra and 1604 so thats good, even though there is one right down at 1604 and Bandera.

Is that the Panchos all you can eat mexican buffet place? That brought back a crazy memory from high school...back in the day we could buy keg beer and ice right off the loading dock at Lone Star Brewery...We got a 16 gallon keg of Lone Star Dark (Lone Stars version of dark bock beer...it was much better than Shiner and only available in kegs) for the weekend and iced it down in the back of my friends van...We hit it early Saturday morning (before sunrise) and hooked up the ski boat and went to Comal Park at Canyon Lake (back before they had an entry fee and security patrolling...kids like us screwed it up for everyone hehehe)...we skiied and drank and smoked and partied all day with our friends dropping by and hanging out...then hooked the boat back up right before dark and came back to town...when we got to town we suddenly realized we hadn't eaten anything since the night before and were starving and decided to head to Panchos to pig out...There was one on Fredricksburg road in a little mall down the road from Crossroads (called Wonderland Mall then)...it was a really busy place for dinner...all you can eat and really cheap...anyway, we sat there for an hour stuffing ourselves and then Randy said he was feeling sick...we all looked at each other and decided to pay and get the hell out of there...after drinking all day on an empty stomach and then stuffing ourselves none of us were much better...Randy was turning that chalky green color by the time we hit the front door...There were poeple everywhere parking their cars and walking to the door...

and then it happened...

Randy takes about 4 steps out the door and barely made it to the curb before he started blowing beets bigtime...the sight and smell of huge volumes of dark beer and masticated mexican food triggered an inevitable chain reaction...Chris was next...pretty soon all four of us were hanging over the curb projectile vomiting...

LMAO...I vividly remember looking up and seeing all these groups of people walking to the door stop, take one look, whisper to each other, and then turn around and go get back in their cars and leave...I guess that wasn't a very good advertisement for the restaurant, huh?...

Shelly
03-24-2005, 10:09 AM
I always forget about Cafe Milano! That place is pretty good!

samikeyp
03-24-2005, 10:25 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

I wondered why that Pancho's closed! Now I know! :lol

MannyIsGod
03-24-2005, 10:34 AM
Dude, I'm amazed people go to a mexican buffet.

Most of the time, a mexican place will give you so much food you don't know what to do with it all. What the hell is the point of a buffet?

Panchos = the nastiest thing ever.

bigzak25
03-24-2005, 10:37 AM
there's only one reason to goto panchos....it's your sopapilla headquarters!

samikeyp
03-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Raise the flag!

davi78239
03-24-2005, 11:35 AM
Another place for great burgers and stuff is a restaurant called Lone Star Ice House (I think that's what it's called) which is out in Leon Springs kinda by the Las Palapas. Those hamburgers are pretty tasty and they also have good onion rings and fries too.

3rdCoast
03-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Man, I love Panchos. I think its awesome. I love everything there.

ChumpDumper
03-24-2005, 01:01 PM
We've got Baja Fresh here as well. I'm not a huge mexican food fan though.Seeing as that isn't Mexican food....

If I had the inclination, I'd try to franchise the little El Sitio chain out of Santa Barbara. I miss those huge grilled burritos.

Spurminator
03-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Baja Fresh is crap. It's fast-food-quality food at 2-star restaurant prices.

KEDA
03-24-2005, 02:40 PM
Panchos = the nastiest thing ever.

I agree 24671545146976436%

Shelly
03-24-2005, 02:41 PM
I wish we had El Torito here.

MannyIsGod
03-24-2005, 02:43 PM
Man, this thread....gross!

It did put me in the mood for onion rings though.

samikeyp
03-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Bring back First Mate! :lol

bigzak25
03-24-2005, 03:02 PM
why are there still arby's around? who eats that shit? and would it kill subway to get a drivethru...and uh...make some fries...

tlongII
03-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Do you guys have Quiznos? I think they're pretty good.

samikeyp
03-24-2005, 03:08 PM
subway on West Ave near Blanco has a drive thru as does the one on San Pedro just down from where Maggie's used to be.

samikeyp
03-24-2005, 03:08 PM
We do have Quiznos.

They are very good.

bigzak25
03-24-2005, 03:10 PM
really mikey? man i was just effin around....the whole point is to eat healthy so i was joking with the "i don't want to have to walk and i want them to have fries and hell, is your shake machine working?" would be funny as well....

as for quiznos...i'll pass on $10 dollar sandwhiches, but i had that once and it was fine. we have a few of those around town tlong.....

samikeyp
03-24-2005, 03:11 PM
true dat.

TheWriter
03-24-2005, 04:44 PM
The Subway on Rigsby Ave. near 410 has a Drive thru.

davi78239
03-24-2005, 07:18 PM
No dissin on Arby's. That shit is freakin gooood!! As for Subway, I like Quiznos much better any day.

Shelly
03-24-2005, 07:31 PM
Be very afraid of the CHILI (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/finger_food) from Wendy's.

Click on above for picture...

Woman Eating Chili Bites Into Human Finger

1 hour, 26 minutes ago

Add to My Yahoo! Strange News - AP

By BRIAN SKOLOFF, Associated Press Writer

A woman bit into a partial finger served in a bowl of chili at a Wendy's restaurant, leading authorities to a fingerprint database Thursday to determine who lost the digit.

Photo
AP Photo

AP Photo Photo
AP Photo
Slideshow Slideshow: Diner Finds Finger In Chili

Video Woman Bites into Human Finger in Chili
(AP Video)

The incident occurred Tuesday night at a San Jose Wendy's restaurant and left the customer ill and distraught, said Joy Alexiou, a spokeswoman for the Santa Clara County Health Department.

"She was so emotionally upset once she found out what it was," Alexiou said. "She was vomiting."

Employees at the Wendy's store were asked to show investigators their fingers after the Tuesday night incident. All employees' digits were accounted for, officials said, adding that the well-cooked finger may have come from a food processing plant that supplies the company.

"All of our employees have ten digits," said Denny Lynch, a spokesman for Wendy's International Inc., based in Dublin, Ohio. He said there have been no reports to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (news - web sites) of injuries at any supplier of chili ingredients to Wendy's.

"By law, you can't hide that sort of stuff," Lynch said. "All of our chili suppliers report no accidents."

Investigators seized the remaining chili and closed the restaurant for a few hours late Tuesday.

Health officials said the fingertip was approximately 1 1/2 inches long. They believe it belongs to a woman because of the long, manicured nail.

Alexiou said the woman, who asked officials not to identify her, is at minimal risk of contracting illnesses from the finger.

"It's an extremely low chance because the chili was cooked at a very high temperature that would have killed anything in the finger," Alexiou said. Still, she said health officials would ask the woman's doctor to test her blood "to make sure nothing got passed to her."

davi78239
03-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Saw that on Ksat 12 at noon. That is pretty sick!!

tlongII
03-24-2005, 07:37 PM
I still would have eaten the chili.

GoldToe
03-24-2005, 07:37 PM
I never considered chili a finger food.

SpursWoman
03-24-2005, 09:10 PM
I never considered chili a finger food.

:lol

That's pretty horrifying. :wow :wow

davi78239
03-25-2005, 11:39 AM
Smokey Bones BBQ baby!!

davi78239
03-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Hey everyone. Pleased to announce that Free Birds Burritos are in the final stages of negotiations for their first location on Huebner and I-10 to open late 2005. I e-mailed the franchiser and she responded back telling me this. Who ever it was that said "mark my words, they will build in S.A" was right on. Great News!!

Spurs košarka kultura
03-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Here's what San Antonio needs to pass Houston.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2004-11-15-hardees_x.htm

IceColdBrewski
03-28-2005, 01:29 AM
Here's what San Antonio needs to pass Houston.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2004-11-15-hardees_x.htm

We've got one. It's called Carl's JR.

Hardees = Carl's Jr.

Carls Jr's parent company, CKE, bought the Hardees chain about 4 years ago and they've slowly integrated CJ's menu and Char-broil cooking style into the Hardees chain.