PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Preliminary West Playoff Predictions

SpursDynasty
04-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Not much to say about the East other than Boston is going to the Finals again...there aren't any teams in the East to challenge them, so I'll talk mostly about the West here.

Let me just state before posting these predictions that in the entire post here, what I say in this thread isn't trash talking towards an NBA teams, players, SpursTalk, or Kori and timvp. Also, this thread isn't anything personal against any NBA teams, players, SpursTalk, or Kori and timvp.

The West playoff seeds aren't set yet but I will post some general predictions here....the West has been banged up all year with everyone missing key players for long periods of time (aside from the Lakers, who weren't missing any key players for any long stretches this season)....the current seedings are somewhat deceptive. The Lakers at 65-17 have been a big fluke this year but I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they would have finished with the top seed anyway even if they didn't hit BS shots all season...so, good job LA. Denver, Houston, and Portland at seeds 2, 3, and 4 is somewhat of a joke. These are actually the 3 weakest teams in the West and should be seeded Denver at 6, Houston at 7, and Portland at 8. Oh well...I guess they will learn their lesson as all three of those teams go home int he first round, despite having homecourt advantage.

SA has been banged up all year, Utah had Boozer out for a long stretch, and Dallas has been themselves but even then they should be at least the 4th seed.

True playoff seedings: 1. Lakers, 2. Spurs, 3. Jazz, 4. Mavericks, 5. Hornets, 6. Nuggets, 7. Rockets, 8. Blazers.

So here's how it will go....Lakers vs Jazz in the first round, I think the Lakers are going into the playoffs with a sense of entitlement and are in for a shock in the first round. They really did get screwed. Utah is probably the strongest 8th seed in the playoffs this decade....I say the Jazz pull this off in 6 games...they'll steal one at Staples, and LA just isn't winning at EnergySolutions arena. Oh well, good regular season for them, right?

Denver vs. Dallas..another fluke seeding. Denver will have homecourt but it won't matter. Dallas in five. Denver benefited from a banged up WC this season...

Houston vs. New Orleans..another fluke seeding...New Orleans in 4. Houston's homecourt is absolutely meaningless. Again, another fluke team that benefited from a banged up WC this season.

Portland vs. Spurs...Spurs in 4. Book it.

I'll update/add more thoughts to this post later.

IronMexican
04-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Jeff, I know I said you're shit has been weak lately, but this is top notch!

cobbler
04-15-2009, 06:51 PM
So here's how it will go....Lakers vs Jazz in the first round, I think the Lakers are going into the playoffs with a sense of entitlement and are in for a shock in the first round. They really did get screwed. Utah is probably the strongest 8th seed in the playoffs this decade....I say the Jazz pull this off in 6 games...they'll steal one at Staples, and LA just isn't winning at EnergySolutions arena. Oh well, good regular season for them, right?

It's official now! The Lakers are winning it all!!!!!!:lobt2:

ginobili's bald spot
04-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Spursdynasty is actually a laker fan who is trying to reverse jinx us all the way to a championship.

Double-Up
04-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by SpursDynasty http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/nba/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2996537#post2996537)
Rankings are based on how each of the top 9 seeds in the West have fared against each other. Utah is included because they will be a playoff team by the end of the regular season, and Portland or Houston won't.

1. Spurs (20-11) - To start the season injury-ridden and still be 20-11 says a lot about this team that has won 3 of the last 6 NBA championships. We are 5-6 vs. the top 9 Western Conference teams. Not too bad once you take injuries and bullshit losses into account. Utah has had injuries, but once you factor in the Spurs injuries, it evens out so we can count our win against Utah as significant.

This team is a lot better than its record indicates. What if Duncan's 3 to tie the game with 8 seconds left in our season opener vs. Phoenix goes in? What if Finley's would-be game-winning shot at the end of the Portland game goes in? What if Duncan's shot to tie it with 5 seconds to go in the first meeting with Milwaukee goes in? What if we hold on to our lead in the 4th against the Hornets, and not let David West hit some bullshit jumpers in the 4th? What if Duncan's shot last night, also with about 5 seconds to go that would have tied it against Milwaukee, goes in? We've had at least those 5 bullshit losses this season, we could be 25-6 right now if things went our way.

2. Hornets (19-9) - I'm still undecided on whether these guys are contenders. They have lost twice to the Lakers, a team that everyone should be beating easily. But they are 6-4 vs. the top 9 records in the West, so for now I rank them as the 2nd best team in the West. But still, they looked downright pathetic vs. the Lakers and then the Magic on Christmas day. Losing to Orlando, they shouldn't even DESERVE to make the playoffs just for that. Oh well.

3. Jazz (19-14) - I put these guys here because I don't think any other team in the league has faced the injuries that these guys have, yet they are 5-3 vs. the top 9 Western Conference teams. Boozer has missed 21 games, Deron Williams has missed 13, and Okur has missed 8. For them to still be 19-14 after 33 games is remarkable. No one outside of SA is messing with this team if they get healthy at least by the second half of the season. Also, I put them here for kicking Portland's pretender ass twice already. Good job Utah.

4. Lakers (25-5) - I only put them this high because they are 10-0 vs. the top 9 Western Conference teams. Losses to the Pacers, Kings, Heat, and Magic don't help and show that this team can easily fold once calls don't go their way. And this is a team that's been fully healthy (their starters and key guys, not scrubs like Jordan Farmar or whoever) all season, so even though they are 10-0 vs. the top 9 West teams, it's because other teams have had injuries. They haven't had to face the Spurs or Jazz yet. Get ready Lakers, you will have to earn your wins vs. those two teams, not get handed victories by playing against bullshit defense.

5. Suns (18-12) - These guys probably shouldn't be this high, but I give them props for also beating the Blazers twice. They've also had some adjusting to do with the Richardson trade and Bell and Diaw on the way out, so a 5-9 record against the the top 9 West teams is excusable for now. Not much else to say other than a team with Steve Nash, Amare, and Shaq should probably be a better team than this right now since they supposedly aren't a run and gun jump shooting team anymore. The most losses against the top 9 West teams, they should be happy I'm ranking them this high.

6. Nuggets (20-12) - I haven't really kept track of their record before and after the Billups trade. They looked pretty solid after the Billups trade, though I haven't watched them much. Losing to the Lakers twice gets them this low ranking though, even with a 20-12 overall record, 5-8 against the top 9 West teams. They did beat Boston, which helps.

7. Mavericks (19-12) - Again, another team that is back and forth, sucking one night then coming back from a 29 point deficit the next night. Josh Howard needs to go. Stackhouse won't even play, and Jason Terry is an idiot. I don't see much hope for this team other than probably getting the 7th seed and a rematch with the Hornets in the first round. This team only shows up to play against the Spurs. Oh well, at least they are good for thriller games once in a while. Only 4-7 vs. the top 9 West teams.

8. Blazers (20-12) - I honestly don't see what the big deal about this team is. As much as everyone has been talking about them, it's a a team that's been fully healthy for 99% of the season, yet they are only 5-8 vs. the top 9 West teams. They lost to the Lakers (if you lose to the Lakers, you're not good, right?), twice to the Suns, and twice to the Jazz. They've also lost to the Hornets, Nuggets, and Mavericks. Yeah, not so sure about this team. 8th seed at best and a first round sweep loss. I don't care if they beat the Celtics or if LaMarcus Aldridge cheap shotted Garnett from behind, this team is and always will be soft. If I was a Portland fan I'd rather see Rasheed and the "Jail Blazers" of old, not this Greg Oden and Brandon Roy softy team.

9. Rockets (20-12) - So now McGrady is going to sit out of half of back-to-backs? I've never heard anything as ridiculous in my life. McGrady, aside from LeBron James and Dwight Howard, is the single most overrated athlete to ever set foot on a basketball court. I would take Jacque Vaughan, Muggsy Bogues, or Cherokee Parks before McGrady on my team. This team has to be the biggest letdown in the NBA for their fans. For Houston fans, going up 2-0 in the playoffs doesn't matter because they know their team will choke it away as in 2005 and 2007. Winning 22 straight doesn't matter because they know their team will get owned by Utah again in the playoffs. What is there to look forward to for Rocket fans? I almost feel bad for them, but not for the actual team other than Brent Barry. To go from a contender to a lottery team has to suck. What were they thinking signing Ron Artest? And now they sign a 42 year old player? For what? To give advice to rookies? Nothing personal against Houston, but they shouldn't even be allowed in the NBA. .

Try getting some new material...you're shit is getting old.

BlackSwordsMan
04-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Portland vs. Spurs...Spurs in 4. Book it.

So I should bet all my money on portland then? Gotcha

Medvedenko
04-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Hahahah....too funny once again. You're right...the Lakers weren't missing anyone important due to injuries.

LEONARD
04-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Still stinking with the slumping Jazz huh Jeff/timvp? :lmao