PDA

View Full Version : Sanikidze finally gets some playing time ...

Kori Ellis
03-19-2005, 06:31 PM
and he comes up big.

All season he's been barely playing for Dijon. He started and put up 17 points on 7-for-11 from the field in 26 minutes.

Here's the box score.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Basket/BasketFicheMatch5000000000015383.html

Dijon beat Châlons-en-Champagne, 105-55.

ducks
03-19-2005, 06:34 PM
huuuuuuuuuuum

TheWriter
03-19-2005, 06:36 PM
3/4 at the three?

Nice.

Wasn't opr isn't he compared to AK?

Spurs košarka kultura
03-19-2005, 06:40 PM
105 to 55?!? Now that is an ASS KICKING! Does the name of that other team translate into Atlanta Hawks by any chance?

exstatic
03-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Didn't the Spurs front office say that he may ultimately prove to be the best NBA player out of all of their '04 draft picks? That would include Mr. Udrih, who is no slouch himself. I wonder how long they'll leave him overseas. If he's not playing much, it will probably be at least another season.

ducks
03-19-2005, 06:45 PM
if he is not playing much over seas they may bring him over and put him on the ir

exstatic
03-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Ducks, they want to see what they have. Sitting on IR here or on the bench in France doesn't accomplish that. He has to play, somewhere.

ChumpDumper
03-19-2005, 06:50 PM
If the NBDL farm system goes into effect he might be brought over.

TheWriter
03-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Isn't the NBDL now the NBA farm league.

Where teams can send the players they don't or have overseas and just let them play there and have them develope their talents.

Kori Ellis
If the NBDL farm system goes into effect he might be brought over.

Is there some kind of announcement on that subject coming this week?

Kori Ellis
Isn't the NBDL now the NBA farm league.

Where teams can send the players they don't or have overseas and just let them play there and have them develope their talents.

No.

ChumpDumper
03-19-2005, 06:52 PM
Teams don't keep rights to their draft picks if they play in the D league. Any team could call them up and claim rights to them. That's why he's in Europe and why alot of draft picks stay out of the D-league when they should probably be in it.

Guru of Nothing
03-19-2005, 06:52 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic, much like I was about Ginobili the year after the Spurs drafted him.

ChumpDumper
03-19-2005, 06:54 PM
Is there some kind of announcement on that subject coming this week?I'd be surprised if it happened that soon since it seems to be a negotiating point for the CBA. But I guess they might want to finalize that first.

Kori Ellis
03-19-2005, 06:54 PM
FYI, it looks like Dijon got a new coach, that's why Sanikidze got the start.

TheWriter
03-19-2005, 06:59 PM
FYI, it looks like Dijon got a new coach, that's why Sanikidze got the start.

So the Euro Larry Brown was replaced by the Euro Gregg Popovich?

ChumpDumper
03-19-2005, 07:00 PM
I think the league could really capitalize on an NBDL farm system, especially internationally. Like you could stick Ha Sueng-Jin and Soon-Yoon Bang on a team and televise a few of their games in Korea -- crap like that.

TheWriter
03-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Found this SI page on Viktor:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/2004/draft/players/18943.html

BIO: Sanikidze is a native of Tbilisi, Georgia who played one year for Dijon in the French Pro A League. The 18-year-old spent a year of college in the United States at Globe Tech in the 2001-02 season before returning to Europe. Like most youngsters, Sanikidze saw little action for his club team. The best evidence of his ability came in the 2004 European Championships for Juniors in which he averaged 18.6 points and 11.6 rebounds playing for Georgia. Despite those rebounding numbers, his game is more perimeter-oriented and may suit an NBA team looking to stash away a developing prospect overseas.

ANALYSIS: Sanikidze is almost too young to project, considering he has received so little playing time over his career. A club with a strong international network and intimate knowledge of him may be able to get a steal in the second round. At only 18, Sanikidze has a chance to develop into something special down the road.

POSITIVES: Sanikidze has all the tools to be a good NBA small forward. He is a skilled shooter, possesses the ability to spot up or create his own shot, is potentially a solid finisher and rebounder in the paint and has good basketball instincts. He did not receive much playing time for his pro team but has starred at the junior national team level in Europe.

NEGATIVES: At just 196 pounds, Sanikidze is still growing into his 6-8 frame. Right now, he would get destroyed defensively in the NBA. Whichever team selects Sanikidze would have to stash him in Europe for a few seasons before allowing him to come to the United States. He is just too far away from having the tools to compete in the league right now.

JUUOT
03-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Dijon got a new coach! this coach might be a reason for the spurs to keep victor there!
let me explain myself. He is the french Popovich. He is one of the best french coach and for sure the best palmares. He is known for finding teaching and growing unknown players into stars in Europe. He cares about players and he is one of tne best instructor i am glad sanikidze is in good hand. He should stay there one more year.
The fact Monclar starts him is a good one.
To exp^lain the situation the team was suppose to be pretty good but everyu thing was falling apart this why they bring in new coach giving chances to bench and talent.

I expect sanikidze to arrive in 2006 with some high recognition in Europe!

You have a french description of Monclar at this link.
http://jda.basketzone.com/asp/zon_actualites/act_det.asp?actid=29650

Kori Ellis
03-19-2005, 07:08 PM
I think the league could really capitalize on an NBDL farm system, especially internationally. Like you could stick Ha Sueng-Jin and Soon-Yoon Bang on a team and televise a few of their games in Korea -- crap like that.

Yeah I think an NBDL true farm system would be awesome. And I KNOW that they'd make more money from people going to NBDL games then they do from people attending WNBA games. :lol

picnroll
03-19-2005, 07:15 PM
JUUOT has Sanikidze gotten any taller or put on any weight?

boutons
03-19-2005, 07:19 PM
In other intl news, Aussi Andy Bogut had a big game in Utah win, shutting down OK's big man, and dishing 7 ASTs, got his pic on the front page: http://www.washingtonpost.com/

JUUOT
03-19-2005, 07:25 PM
He is announced at 6-8 in his french club. (2 metre 03centimetre). He will not add a lot of weight in France. What he is going to add is skills skills , basket IQ and maturity, especially with this coach. Just like the other he will not add weight until arriving in nba but that is fine it is easy to get. however i think his optimum should be around 6-8 and 215 pounds you will not get much more.
But he seems to be a young Basket genius dont worry

JUUOT
03-19-2005, 08:11 PM
I would bet my Vbooki money that Sanikidze is bowen replacement. LJII and brown will miss the target and have to make room for young hungry baller

picnroll
03-19-2005, 08:16 PM
Sanikidze made Tayshuan Prince look like Schwarzenegger. He going to have to find a few pounds somewhere to make it in the NBA.

Guru of Nothing
03-19-2005, 08:18 PM
JUOTT, right or wrong, you are one of my favorite posters here.

JUUOT
03-19-2005, 08:37 PM
:elephant i guess i will take this as a compliment.
i wish i could return the compliment :lol

just kidding. i am the kind of reader that love people that do take the direct way.

Guru of Nothing
03-19-2005, 08:50 PM
i am the kind of reader that love people that do take the direct way.

Whotttever!

mookie2001
03-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Sanikidze can hoop mark madsen

Solid D
03-20-2005, 12:55 AM
For those who don't know Juuot, I think I remember he lives in Ottawa (Ottawa Univ.) and is the one who first broke the Tony Parker re-signing news...before anyone in San Antonio, that is. It was his first post in here. Talk about a great first impression!

Solid D
03-20-2005, 12:57 AM
For those who don't know Juuot, I think I remember he lives in Ottawa (Ottawa Univ.) and is the one who first broke the Tony Parker re-signing news...before anyone in San Antonio, that is. It was his first post in here. Talk about a great first impression!

I think Pooh is still awaiting "official" word on the re-signing. :lol

jk pooh

Solid D
03-20-2005, 01:08 AM
I just looked up the standings and statistics of the French Pro A League. Dijon is in 11th place out of 18 teams and Chalon (the team they destroyed in the last game) is in 15th place.

One of my favorite college players 2-3 yrs. ago was Hollis Price and he is helping to lead the 1st place team Le Mans with 12.8 ppg, 5.5 assists and 3 rpg.

Slo spurs fan
03-20-2005, 04:44 AM
I don't wonna be smartass, but Franch league sucks. It's one of the weakest league in here.

mattyc
03-20-2005, 07:41 AM
I personally see the benefits of our drafting system. In essence, we don't need immediate players (bar Beno), thus instead of forfeiting a pick on a kid that won't make it past camp, ie Bryan Bracey we store players away in Europe where they will play more than they would over here.

Will these guys overseas work out? Who knows, but it's better than drafting a guy that will never fit onto our roster at this stage.

But, we bothered to get Sanikidze late on draft day via Atlanta, so we must see something in him.

tempest186
03-20-2005, 11:49 AM
I can't remember which Draft site it was but just prior to the draft they were talking about Sanikidze's potential and saying he could end up being the best 18 year old from Georgia from this draft.

Kori Ellis
03-21-2005, 06:14 AM
Here's more on Sanikidze from an email from one of my contacts in France ...

Hi Kori,

Sanikidze earned his 6th start of the season and his 4th straight this week-end.
Dijon has a lot of good players but has struggled since the beginning of the
season and only owns the 11th place. Dijon's front office decided to fire
former head coach Nicolas Faure. Dijon has hired Jacques Monclar to replace
him. Monclar is an experimented coach who won the French League in the past and
has coached French powerhouses like Limoges, Antibes, Pau-Orthez and then Paris.
At the beginning of the season, Paris Basket Racing has been bought by Tony
Parker's agent Marc Fleisher (who is also Sanikidze's agent). The new owners
decided to hire Canadian Gordon Herbert as head-coach and to name Monclar as
General Manager. Monclar wanted to coach again next season but Dijon gave him
the opportunity to come back early on the bench. This week-end Dijon was
playing his first game under Monclar. All the players were on fire and Dijon
won by 50 !! Sanikidze contributed season-highs 17 pts and 10 rbs. I've seen
him play in person only once, few weeks ago. He seems very talented but perhaps
a little shy ... he doesn't have a lot of opportunities to shine this season as
Dijon's roster is already loaded with a lot of offensive talents. I think he is
still a little skinny to play in the NBA even if he has already gain weight. He
is averaging 4.5 pts and 2.6 rbs this season but he can do much better for sure
... I think he will earn some confidence with his new head coach.

timvp
03-21-2005, 06:19 AM
Nice.

Remember, in Europe it's even tougher for younger guys to play than in the NBA. Pau Gasol barely played before he was drafted. European teams rely much more on veterans so it's tough to evaluate young talent (18-20 year olds, mostly) over there.

xcoriate
03-21-2005, 06:38 AM
Parker pretty mucg rose the pine as well didnt he, hell beno didnt even have a team he was all over the shop.