PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Film Crew Geared To Dissect The Mavs

duncan228
04-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Film crew geared to dissect the Mavs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Film_crew_geared_to_dissect_the_Mavs.html)
Mike Monroe

The Spurs were still in post-victory celebration mode after their 105-98 overtime win over the New Orleans Hornets at AT&T Center on Wednesday when assistant coach and head scout Mike Wells exited the locker room.

“Time for me to do some serious work,” Wells said, and he headed for the team's film room.

Wells and the rest of the Spurs' scouting and film crew have been preparing for all potential playoff foes for some time, but head coach Gregg Popovich said the real work of breaking down the first-round playoff opponent began in earnest after Wednesday's season-ending game.

“The preparation's already started,” Popovich said before tipoff. “To some degree it goes on all year long, because you're accumulating information on teams and trying to create a file on teams you think you might play.

“The guys in the film room are really working hard, putting some things together for us for possibilities. But the real focus, obviously, won't begin until tonight, when all the games are done.”

Backing the plan: Popovich heartily endorsed the idea of additional use of TV replay to review referees' calls in the final moments of games.

The Spurs benefited from a blown call in their Sunday night win at Sacramento. The referees allowed a game-winning 3-point shot by Michael Finley that replays showed was released after the expiration of the 24-second shot clock.

NBA rules allowing review of plays with televised replay don't allow timing errors to be corrected unless the game clock reaches zero at the end of a quarter.

“Of course (I'm in favor),” Popovich said. “Are you kidding? We've all been on both sides of calls that could change a game at the very end. Being a reasonable individual, that would be something I think most people would be in favor of.”

Popovich agrees with commissioner David Stern that the league's Board of Governors, which meets today and Friday in New York, may not want to amend the rule and make the change effective for this season's playoffs.

“I don't know what all is entailed,” he said. “We don't have to adapt, but I'm not sure what is entailed in what they have to do mechanically.”

Golf update: San Antonio native and former Spur Devin Brown got in a round of golf at The Quarry after the Hornets arrived in San Antonio on Tuesday. He didn't have to worry about getting permission from his coaches. Head coach Byron Scott joined him at The Quarry, shooting a 79 and beating Brown, who shot an 83.

Spur|n|Austin
04-16-2009, 12:16 AM
79. Not too shabby Byron.

Thomas82
04-16-2009, 12:45 AM
79. Not too shabby Byron.

Not bad at all.

EricB
04-16-2009, 12:47 AM
79 at the quarry?

Eh.

The quarry is pretty simple so for a decent golfer thats "ok"