PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News: The NBA Playoffs Are Here: Our Expert Picks The First-Round Winners

duncan228
04-16-2009, 02:03 AM
The NBA playoffs are here: Our expert picks the first-round winners (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=thenbaplayoffsarehereour&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
By Sean Deveney - SportingNews

The grind of the regular season is over, and the playoff matchups are set after a final night of standings shuffling. Sporting News Today's Sean Deveney makes his picks for each first-round series.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

1. Cavaliers vs. 8. Pistons: For six straight years, the Pistons entered the playoffs with championship hope—but not this year. Cleveland, after all, was 39-2 at home. Cavs in 5.

2. Celtics vs. 7. Bulls: "We've got confidence," Bulls forward John Salmons said. "We're playing as well as anyone in the conference." True, but a disappointing home loss to the Raptors pushed Chicago into a bad matchup. For Boston, Kevin Garnett's knee is key. Celtics in 6.

3. Magic vs. 6. Sixers: The Sixers' tough final seven games looked like good postseason preparation. "It's a challenge," coach Tony DiLeo said. "At least we'll be playoff-ready." But the Sixers lost six of seven, and have no answer for Dwight Howard. Magic in 5.

4. Hawks vs. 5. Heat: Miami has Dwyane Wade, capable of carrying his team in any series. But Atlanta counters with Joe Johnson, more depth and homecourt advantage. Hawks in 7.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

1. Lakers vs. 8. Jazz: On March 10, the Jazz had won 15 of 16 and were shaping up to be a West force. But they went 7-11 from there. Now, they're first-round fodder. Lakers in 4.

2. Nuggets vs. 7. Hornets: The Nuggets will pressure Chris Paul, overwhelm the Hornets with their fast break and advance to the second round for the first time since 1994. Nuggets in 6.

3. Spurs vs. 6. Mavericks: The Spurs lost Manu Ginobili on April 5, and their playoff hopes were on the ropes. But they closed with five gutsy wins in six outings. They're simply tougher than I-35 rival Dallas, and San Antonio will limp into Round 2. Spurs in 7.

4. Blazers vs. 5. Rockets: Houston is the only team to beat Portland in the last three weeks. No matter. The Blazers are young, but overwhelmingly talented and great at home. Blazers in 7.

EricB
04-16-2009, 02:04 AM
2. Nuggets vs. 7. Hornets: The Nuggets will pressure Chris Paul, overwhelm the Hornets with their fast break and advance to the second round for the first time since 1994. Nuggets in 6.

With what defense?

:lol

The Hornets to me looked DAMN DAMN good tonight, and IMO, will take down Denver in 6.

Mugen
04-16-2009, 02:17 AM
With what defense?

The Hornets to me looked DAMN DAMN good tonight, and IMO, will take down Denver in 6.

all depends on chandler. he looked good 2nite but how can he hold up and shake off the rust.

a healthy chandler makes new orleans just about even with denver.

Mugen
04-16-2009, 02:23 AM
the jazz should win at least 1 game at home

NugzFan
04-16-2009, 02:24 AM
With what defense?

denver's D has been good this year. best fg% against in the west.

Thomas82
04-16-2009, 09:47 AM
3. Spurs vs. 6. Mavericks: The Spurs lost Manu Ginobili on April 5, and their playoff hopes were on the ropes. But they closed with five gutsy wins in six outings. They're simply tougher than I-35 rival Dallas, and San Antonio will limp into Round 2. Spurs in 7.

When were our playoff hopes ever on the ropes?

Findog
04-16-2009, 09:51 AM
With what defense?

Denver is a decent defensive team. They are long and athletic in the paint with Nene and Martin. Martin might be way overpaid, but he's still a good player.

stéphane
04-16-2009, 10:03 AM
There's no way for Denver to advance to the 2nd round.

Frenzy
04-16-2009, 10:07 AM
i think they should give the jazz some credit.. sweep?......at least one win c'mon!

koriwhat
04-16-2009, 10:13 AM

no shit, right? we were playoff bound even with ginobili out.

Findog
04-16-2009, 10:23 AM

NOLA is a two-man team. They're not going to beat the Lakers, but this is not the same old Nuggets team.

hater
04-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Lakers
Hornets
Spurs
Rockets

NugzFan
04-16-2009, 10:31 AM

why?

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Lakers, Hornets, Spurs, Blazers.

sribb43
04-16-2009, 10:35 AM

maybe they were referring to the Mavs bc they lost to the Grizz on April 5th and ended up winning 5 of 6...it amazes me how some people have jobs writing when there facts are off alot of the time

tmtcsc
04-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Did Chandler play in the second half ? If he did, it wasn't for long. We caught a bit of a break there. They'll give Denver a bit of a challenge.

Findog
04-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Cavs over Pistons in 5
Celtics over Bulls in 6
Magic over Sixers in 6
Heat over Hawks in 7

Lakers over Jazz in 5
Nuggets over Hornets in 6
Spurs over Mavs in 7
Blazers over Rockets in 7

Trimble87
04-16-2009, 10:53 AM

they didn't mean our hopes of making the playoffs, but rather our hopes of making it through the playoffs.

PLayoff Hopes = Hopes that we will be a contender for the title imo.

tmtcsc
04-16-2009, 10:58 AM
The Blazers have the best shot at beating the Lakers. They love to beat them just like the Warriors loved to beat the Mavs in 07. I don't know what it is, but they can handle the Lakers at home and have NO FEAR of them. I think they beat Houston in 6.

Findog
04-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Typical Mavs fan

Typical Spurs fan:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rTd-h7IfTf8/SNUL5VZ1cbI/AAAAAAAAB8w/ZmDQEZ25nKQ/s200/obese2.jpg

xtremesteven33
04-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Typical Spurs fan:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rTd-h7IfTf8/SNUL5VZ1cbI/AAAAAAAAB8w/ZmDQEZ25nKQ/s200/obese2.jpg

:depressed

Findog
04-16-2009, 11:16 AM
I like to stick my fingers in my taint and then bring it back up to my nose and smell it

Cuatro Anillos, fatty. At least your typical Mavs fan can see their feet in the shower.

Findog
04-16-2009, 11:25 AM
At least the typical Spurs fan knows what it's like to win it all

You're on the active roster?

and not choke yr after yr after yr in the playoffs when it counts.

Ooh, give me aloe vera for that burn!!!!!

Findog
04-16-2009, 11:26 AM
God that is funny. Mavs fans can't say anything about the Spurs

We can't? We've owned your asses for the past 5 years. We pitch and you catch in this relationship. The Spurs are always reduced to pillow biters by a bunch of mentally soft jumpshooting chokers. That must...smart.

SpursFan8179
04-16-2009, 11:34 AM
So, how many championships do the Mavericks have again? We've owned you guys thru the whole 2000's so far. Like I said about Dallas and it's fan base... crap team, horrible town, POS fans. Spurs in 6.

ElNono
04-16-2009, 11:35 AM
We can't? We've owned your asses for the past 5 years. We pitch and you catch in this relationship. The Spurs are always reduced to pillow biters by a bunch of mentally soft jumpshooting chokers. That must...smart.

:nope
What's the record between the Mavs and Spurs since Kidd was signed by the Mavs?

Findog
04-16-2009, 11:37 AM
so, how many championships do the mavericks have again?

cuatro anillos, puta!

SpursFan8179
04-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Your lame. Your just mad because Dirk and the gays will never be able to hold this... :lobt2:

The only thing the Mavericks have going for them is.....wait for it.....:td nothing.

Flux451
04-16-2009, 12:00 PM

*busts out a calculator*

Well actually dumb f*** 15 out of the last 28 games over the 5 year span you claim as Dallas ownage have gone to the Spurs...so its pretty much even.

that must...smart

edit: if you go back to the beginning of the Duncan Era. Spurs own Mavs.

Spurs have won 43 out of 70 games, biotch!!!

Morg1411
04-16-2009, 12:13 PM
The NBA playoffs are here: Our expert picks the first-round winners (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=thenbaplayoffsarehereour&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
By Sean Deveney - SportingNews

The grind of the regular season is over, and the playoff matchups are set after a final night of standings shuffling. Sporting News Today's Sean Deveney makes his picks for each first-round series.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

1. Cavaliers vs. 8. Pistons: For six straight years, the Pistons entered the playoffs with championship hope—but not this year. Cleveland, after all, was 39-2 at home. Cavs in 5.

2. Celtics vs. 7. Bulls: "We've got confidence," Bulls forward John Salmons said. "We're playing as well as anyone in the conference." True, but a disappointing home loss to the Raptors pushed Chicago into a bad matchup. For Boston, Kevin Garnett's knee is key. Celtics in 6.

3. Magic vs. 6. Sixers: The Sixers' tough final seven games looked like good postseason preparation. "It's a challenge," coach Tony DiLeo said. "At least we'll be playoff-ready." But the Sixers lost six of seven, and have no answer for Dwight Howard. Magic in 5.

4. Hawks vs. 5. Heat: Miami has Dwyane Wade, capable of carrying his team in any series. But Atlanta counters with Joe Johnson, more depth and homecourt advantage. Hawks in 7.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

1. Lakers vs. 8. Jazz: On March 10, the Jazz had won 15 of 16 and were shaping up to be a West force. But they went 7-11 from there. Now, they're first-round fodder. Lakers in 4.

4. Blazers vs. 5. Rockets: Houston is the only team to beat Portland in the last three weeks. No matter. The Blazers are young, but overwhelmingly talented and great at home. Blazers in 7.

I actually agree with these predictions, for the most part.

Eastern Conference looks dead on, unless Garnett is truly out for the season. I don't know if that would be enough to truly tip the balance in the Bulls' favor, but it may help them stretch things out to 7 games if their spirit doesn't get crushed too early on.

In the West, I think Utah will take 1 game in that series. (Only 1, but hey...) Other than that, I think I agree with these West predictions, as well...which is just plain odd, because I rarely agree with anyone...

I do hope the Spurs/Mavs series is a good one. I also hope it doesn't take a full 7 games for the Spurs to bury Dallas.

buttsR4rebounding
04-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Typical Spurs fan:

http://redpants.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/able.jpg

After he's eaten Dirk Nowitski (would be fatter, but there was no heart)

Quiet Strength
04-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Whats the season series with the blazers and houston? I think this series is going to be very interesting.

buttsR4rebounding
04-16-2009, 12:43 PM

What are you smoking? You must be taking long tokes on Mark Cuban's dong to come up with that...:lmao

Flux451
04-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Whats the season series with the blazers and houston? I think this series is going to be very interesting.

Rockets 2 -1

ploto
04-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Out of the bottom half of the West playoffs teams, I would least want to play Dallas.

redzero
04-16-2009, 02:12 PM
The Hornets probably would have beaten the Spurs yesterday if Tyson played in the second half. However, I'm not complaining, since the Hornets get an easy series against the Thuggets.

Horse
04-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Did Chandler play in the second half ? If he did, it wasn't for long. We caught a bit of a break there. They'll give Denver a bit of a challenge.
Well I'm hoping denver wins, Cause #1 I don't think they can beat us. And more important if the refs call chris paul like they did last nite we can't beat them. I gotta say jordan, lebron, karl malone, anybody, I've never seen a player not even shaq get away with the shit paula does, He pushes off every drive flops like a bitch and travels allnite. I hate his fucking guts!