PDA

View Full Version : Acceptance.

Blackjack
04-16-2009, 02:32 AM
It's just a word, really.

Yet, recently, it seemed one of the four-letter variety.

You see, coming to terms with your teams' inevitable fate, when expectations of a championship are such, can be a pretty hard thing to do.

We, as a fan-base, have been spoiled with one of the truly great run's in professional sports. We've been conditioned with expectation, and for some, bordered on entitlement. Winning, for some, has become a feeling of relief, rather than joy, and the journey to the ultimate goal has lost it's luster. It's championship or bust; never allowing the true satisfaction of enjoying a battles victory, if not the victor of war.

It's a sentiment and feeling felt by all that have been blessed with great success. Nothing exclusive to Spurs fan's, really. But it's something I will not allow myself to feel any longer. The time for complacency, entitlement, and apathy is over. The Spurs' window is closing, but it hasn't closed yet.

In truth, any victory the Spurs have in the playoffs shouldn't be taken for granted. As this teams stands here today, given the loss of Manu and the condition of Tim's knees, (whether it's Dallas or anyone else they should happen to play, if they're fortunate enough to advance) there are no easy-out's. This team could just as easily go out in the first round, as they could advance to the conference-finals. It really is that much of a coin's-flip.

But that's where the fun is.

There's no more relief for win's, the expectation's gone. The dominant team of the decade is no longer the hunted, but the hunter.

Granted, the Spurs being undermanned and coming into the playoffs in less than ideal circumstances can give the impression of a hunter hunting the type of game that requires an elephant gun, and not the good old trusty shotgun, but taking down big game with little Ol' Bessy gives the skin a little more significance when it's mounted on the wall. It's a feeling of accomplishment and pride that the fully-automatic assault-rifle, tends to lack. :hat

So from here on out, I'm enjoying every last battle along the way.

Victories like tonight, I'll savor a little more. No more wet-blanket thought's on how the team shouldn't have been in a particular situation. Thought's like, "Had Chandler been able to go in the second half, and or, they made their free-throws?", will be a thing of the past. (Well, at least for the remainder of this year.:hat) Instead I'll crack a smile at the absurdity, and or, amazement of the situation, and I'll laugh out-loud at Bill Land and his calls (especially the one's that almost elicit an F-bomb) and cherish every last Elliott-ism, each and every broadcast.

For all the questionable personnel moves, for all the roation drama, this team has given everything they've had to give out there on the court and in the community. They're champions in every sense of the word and deserving of the type of unwavering support this city used to be famous for, back in the day.

Acceptance.

When you're a Spurs fan?

It really isn't all that hard to do. :flag:

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Dingle Barry
04-16-2009, 02:45 AM
Great post. But then I wonder: is Acceptance compatible with Believe?

I don't believe it is.

Believe.

timvp
04-16-2009, 03:13 AM
Nice post :tu

This year is definitely different. Since 1999, the playoffs have basically been about survival for the Spurs. They've always been good enough ... they've just had to not stumble along the way. Sometimes they won and sometimes they didn't but there was always expectations of a championship going into the postseason.

This year? There's hope but the expectations aren't there. Can the Spurs win the championship? It's possible if the chips fall exactly right. Will they? Very likely they won't.

But it should be fun to watch them go at it in this new role. Who knows, this team has always seemed to thrive in an underdog role. Now we get to see what they can do in the ultimate underdog role.

Can't wait :hungry:

Blackjack
04-16-2009, 03:24 AM
Nice post :tu

This year is definitely different. Since 1999, the playoffs have basically been about survival for the Spurs. They've always been good enough ... they've just had to not stumble along the way. Sometimes they won and sometimes they didn't but there was always expectations of a championship going into the postseason.

This year? There's hope but the expectations aren't there. Can the Spurs win the championship? It's possible if the chips fall exactly right. Will they? Very likely they won't.

But it should be fun to watch them go at it in this new role. Who knows, this team has always seemed to thrive in an underdog role. Now we get to see what they can do in the ultimate underdog role.

Can't wait :hungry:

:tu

It's funny, I've actually enjoyed the games when the Spurs are short-handed and the underdog more this year.

Seeing Tony go off, seeing Hill and Mason earlier in the year, and watching the Spurs almost pull out a victory in Denver without the Big 3 and Fin (and someone please stop beating the hell out of that dead horse, it's rather unseemly:hat) were some of the most enjoyable games of the year.

The underdog role, at least for the rest of this year, is one that I'm truly going to try and enjoy.

timvp
04-16-2009, 04:15 AM
The underdog role, at least for the rest of this year, is one that I'm truly going to try and enjoy.

Yeah, a one year hiatus is fine. But this time next year, hopefully the Spurs are back to being the hunted. Stay healthy, stay thirsty for number five.

http://www.spurstalk.com/stay-thirsty-pop-2.jpg

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-16-2009, 05:21 AM
Very good post, this is exactly the way I've felt for the whole season.

In a sense it's been a rough awakening for us that the championship window we've all come to take for granted is going to shut someday. That day most certainly is not going to be this year, I fully believe this team has 2 or 3 more runs in them but I've began to take a much wider look at the whole picture and I might have enjoyed this regular season the most in the Duncan era in a very strange,almost masochistic,way.

Like Pop says, I must have got over myself during this season and I've cherished every victory, every moment, even the bad ones. I'm over the fights and wondering why Pop isn't playing Hill, why he's doing this and that. Fuck this. There's a bigger picture and I can't understand why some people are so hell bent on not believing in the franchise which has given us more joy and success than we could have dreamt of.

What's the point in fighting over the little details, insulting each and every player and coach on this team for every mistake? At what point do you derive enjoyment from your team? Is it only at the point where you win the title or do you not enjoy the challenge, the chase, the moments your heart beats really fast waiting in anticipation, and finally the victory. Or do you insist on being a PITA right til the end then attempting to join in the celebrations?

If I questioned every victory, every decision a player or a coach gets wrong, I'd wonder what's the fucking point, but that's me.

We can do it this year, but even if we don't, I believe this team will come back next year better than ever because the people at the help have proven a thousand times over the last decade that they can be trusted. And since I've witnessed this team fight hard until the end, never give up and never wilt under the pressure, I have grown to accept the losses and the tough moments, because as a fan all I can demand is for the team to give its best, in which the Spurs have never let me down.I expect the same in this year's playoffs.

Blackjack
04-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Yeah, a one year hiatus is fine. But this time next year, hopefully the Spurs are back to being the hunted. Stay healthy, stay thirsty for number five.

Underdog definitely loses it's luster when it becomes more than a novelty.:tu

There's a bigger picture and I can't understand why some people are so hell bent on not believing in the franchise which has given us more joy and success than we could have dreamt of.

This is pretty much where I'm at, now.:tu

It's easy to get caught up in the emotions of a long season and lose sight of the bigger picture, but it's time we all wake the hell up. We've got a team that's going to need all the help and support from this fan-base it can get, and it's time they actually received it. They've earned that much.

Those that are lucky enough to attend playoff games need to become the spark, not one's to be sparked. People sitting on their hands need to feel guilty beacause of the atmosphere provided by the fan's around them. Voices need to be used to exaustion; our team should never be able to hear the opposing teams' fan's, above that of the home crowd. It's time San Antonio became the feared environment it once was back at the Hemisfair, not this apathetic venue that the AT&T Center has become.

We all know the Spurs will give it everything they've got when they're out there on the court, they've given us no reason to expect otherwise. Their effort isn't the question.

The question is, can the Spurs' fan's prove worthy of this team. Can they shed the apathy and complacency in time to make a difference for a team that's spoiled them with success.

The jury's still out, but I know this city still has it in it.

Spur|n|Austin
04-16-2009, 01:01 PM

http://www.spurstalk.com/stay-thirsty-pop-2.jpg

GOD that's and awesome picture!!!!

samikeyp
04-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Good takes.

For those of us who have followed this team going on 3 decades.....its easy to stay hungry....just remember all those years before 1999. :lol

StoneBuddha
04-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Great thread!

I agree 100%, this post season will be more about celebrating each victory, and hopefully each playoff series win. It's going to be strangely enjoyable thinking this way.

I think this quote from Pop is appropriate in this thread...
"Enjoyment and happiness are not the words to describe coaches' existences during the playoffs. There's only abject depression and relief. The losses are abject depression and the wins are relief, respite from depression."

This post season will be a celebration about everything the Spurs have/will accomplished and not about what they do not.

Let's enjoy the ride!

:flag:

Libri
04-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Good takes.

For those of us who have followed this team going on 3 decades.....its easy to stay hungry....just remember all those years before 1999. :lol

How about 1986, 87 and 88.

samikeyp
04-16-2009, 01:43 PM
How about 1986, 87 and 88.

Or as I like to call them..."the dark times" :lol

Strike
04-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Good takes.

I don't got 30 years with the Spurs. I barely have 30 years of life. I have 20 years with the Spurs and I remember how hard the 1st ten were. I had to eat so much shit for being a Spurs fan in Portland during the Blazers' heyday. I would tell people just wait. The Spurs will win their 2nd title before Portland does. Oh, the laughter. The maniacal cackling at my expense. I still know some of those people. The laughter dulled in 1999 and ceased to be in 2003. Well, it didn't cease to be. It just transferred. To me. :lol

samikeyp
04-16-2009, 02:21 PM
I don't got 30 years with the Spurs. I barely have 30 years of life. I have 20 years with the Spurs and I remember how hard the 1st ten were. I had to eat so much shit for being a Spurs fan in Portland during the Blazers' heyday. I would tell people just wait. The Spurs will win their 2nd title before Portland does. Oh, the laughter. The maniacal cackling at my expense. I still know some of those people. The laughter dulled in 1999 and ceased to be in 2003. Well, it didn't cease to be. It just transferred. To me. :lol

:toast